Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really mixed on this game. Great atmosphere, boss fights are fun, good level design*(with one thing I really don't like). But goddamn I hate the controls. At first I thought it felt almost unplayable, but I have gotten to having my muscle memory default to holding my finger over L1 which makes it feel a lot better. But having to hold both L1 and R1 and then square to fire missiles is the dumbest poo poo. And it's all so needless. I have 2 friggin analog sticks here. Why? Why am I claw handing this stupid controller when all of this could easily be solved by using the right analog and mapping the firing and missiles to R1 and R2? I feel like the game industry has solved all of these issues with comfort and standardizing controls in games but Nintendo always has to do their special snowflake poo poo and offer ZERO accessibility options ever. if I was reviewing this game I'd knock 4 points off for this dumbass control scheme.

And then there is the part of the level design which I think sucks. I have never seen a metroidvania game that just constantly blocks you from going back. I feel like every new room I enter it's like "tee hee you can't turn around gotta go forward" which leads to me feeling railroaded a lot, and also causes this absolutely needless amount of backtracking.

Don't get me wrong I do like the game but there are all of these little stupid things that could just be solved by adding some accessibility options. The game is just so uncomfortable to play for me and it's such a little thing that could be solved with some button mapping or even a selection of a few control options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The boss fights are fun, but also kind of "they have way too many hit points in their first phase, which I must repeat literally every time I want to try and learn the second phase."

EDIT: Also, yeah, I'm really tired of holding down the missile button and they should either let me lock that on or, better yet, just eliminate missiles as a concept if that's all I ever want to fire at a boss anyway.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

veni veni veni posted:

Really mixed on this game. Great atmosphere, boss fights are fun, good level design*(with one thing I really don't like). But goddamn I hate the controls. At first I thought it felt almost unplayable, but I have gotten to having my muscle memory default to holding my finger over L1 which makes it feel a lot better. But having to hold both L1 and R1 and then square to fire missiles is the dumbest poo poo. And it's all so needless. I have 2 friggin analog sticks here. Why? Why am I claw handing this stupid controller when all of this could easily be solved by using the right analog and mapping the firing and missiles to R1 and R2? I feel like the game industry has solved all of these issues with comfort and standardizing controls in games but Nintendo always has to do their special snowflake poo poo and offer ZERO accessibility options ever. if I was reviewing this game I'd knock 4 points off for this dumbass control scheme.

And then there is the part of the level design which I think sucks. I have never seen a metroidvania game that just constantly blocks you from going back. I feel like every new room I enter it's like "tee hee you can't turn around gotta go forward" which leads to me feeling railroaded a lot, and also causes this absolutely needless amount of backtracking.

Don't get me wrong I do like the game but there are all of these little stupid things that could just be solved by adding some accessibility options. The game is just so uncomfortable to play for me and it's such a little thing that could be solved with some button mapping or even a selection of a few control options.

it (and all games) should have remappable controls for sure, but you can remap buttons on a system level if that helps you any

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

iirc there should be an exit right and downwards from the pulse radar room that hits the next upgrade fairly quickly if you follow it where your abilities let you go

That doesn't work. It's blocked off by one of those red plant things that I don't know how to break. I'm missing SOMETHING and I don't know what

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
While I'm loving the game and I know it's going for a different style and feel, I have to say I really, really miss scanning enemies from the Prime series. It was just awesome to me to immediately learn an enemy's name and have a bunch of flavor text about their life cycle and what role they filled in the ecosystem.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

robot roll call posted:

it (and all games) should have remappable controls for sure, but you can remap buttons on a system level if that helps you any

Yeah, but my main issue is discomfort from having to hold 3 buttons at once as well as aim to fire missiles. It’s just so unintuitive and I feel like I take so many hits fumbling with it.

And I don’t think I could solve that with remapping unfortunately.

Maybe I could swap the triggers for the bumpers. That would probably help a bit since my fingers don’t naturally gravitate to them at all on any of the switch controllers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why can't I use the R1 as a weapon select like in Super Metroid? Toggle Missle's on or off, easy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

unfortunately it's an old problem

both fusion and zero mission have the exact same "hold both shoulder buttons to aim up and turn on missile mode then mash shoot" thing going on in a lot of boss fights

the game should have more options in general but one of them should definitely be a toggle instead of hold for missiles, there's tons of people for whom holding down buttons for extended periods is either uncomfortable or literally impossible

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I think Raven Beak might be one of the greatest final boss fights I've ever played in a video game. It's so well designed, and him using all the Aeon Abilities from Samus Returns is a really nice touch.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The controls might be bad but at least they aren’t forcing us to use a single joycon turned sideways.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where do I go after getting the wide beam
Also nice use of spoilers guy who posted before me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Calaveron posted:

Where do I go after getting the wide beam
Also nice use of spoilers guy who posted before me

Go back to places with wide beam doors/blocks.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The controls are utter dogshit tbh. It does not feel good to play.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this is the most good-feeling game to control i've played all year

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah that’s wrong. I would say that about some of the older metriods but I honestly had no problems outside the omega beam sections

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe my pro controller is dying then because it feels so unresponsive half the time for me. A lot of the time it feels like inputs are not registering.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Frankston posted:

Maybe my pro controller is dying then because it feels so unresponsive half the time for me. A lot of the time it feels like inputs are not registering.

That's definitely not a base part of the game...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that definetly should not be happening.

The only one I’ve heard that is for a special Indic power up

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Frankston posted:

It definitely is because the controls are on a hair trigger but in a good way
I have gone back all the way to Altaria after getting the wide beam but nothing stood out as a means of progress. I'm assuming the varia suit is the next upgrade?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

yeah that is not my experience at all, samus feels great to control

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Echoing that, game controls so dang well, it was awesome to play through

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm glad that I never watch trailers anymore, the fight with Kraid was a nice but lore confusing surprise and then later I find out it was part of a main trailer.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

It definitely is because the controls are on a hair trigger but in a good way
I have gone back all the way to Altaria after getting the wide beam but nothing stood out as a means of progress. I'm assuming the varia suit is the next upgrade?

I think you backtracked a bit too far, after wide beam is access to kill the EMMI in Cataris iirc

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

beat the game in 9:04 and 43% clear. Had a great time with it, but I felt the bosses were a little overtuned and that samus never got to feel powerful to me. Which is lame for a game where you find stuff to make you powerful. reminded me of fusion and that's my favorite Metroid. Good game A+ hope they pump another one out in like 3-4 years.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

I think you backtracked a bit too far, after wide beam is access to kill the EMMI in Cataris iirc

Yeah I forgot I got the morph ball and now I'm not too sure where I need to go since morph ball accesses aren't marked on the map I don't think

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I honestly can't wait for this one to get randomizer mods tbh

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think I borked myself out of a powerup, or made it harder. The place to charge up a speed boost had power bomb blocks in the floor and those don't come back.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Drop my name in the “game has good controls” hat

Samus feels real nimble and responsive for me

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I forgot I got the morph ball and now I'm not too sure where I need to go since morph ball accesses aren't marked on the map I don't think

There should be an inviting-looking toothy grin shortly outside and to the left of where you get the morph ball

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Can anyone tell me where the heck the double jump is? I've got the Radar and I'm completely stuck, made no progress and the only area I think it might be is blocked by one of the red plants that I don't know how to destroy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The controls are messed up, yeah. I died many times to the scorpion boss and most of the time I got hit was because I either didn't realize I was holding down the "aim but don't move" button or forgot to hold it down, leading me to get juggled by stupid contact damage. Or I couldn't jump off a wall in time to avoid the slowest moving bomb in Metroid history because the way I was aiming shots didn't allow me to jump.

I really want a pro controller for this game, but since I don't do much Switch gaming, it seems like a waste to spend an extra $50 to make the controls on a ~10 hour game less frustrating.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Can anyone tell me where the heck the double jump is? I've got the Radar and I'm completely stuck, made no progress and the only area I think it might be is blocked by one of the red plants that I don't know how to destroy.

Was going to reply to this earlier and got distracted, sorry-- trying to avoid spoilers but have you found and completed the area Elun yet? If you have, then all you need to do is kill the EMMI in Ghavoran, and if not then you'll want to loop back around towards the bottom right of Ghavoran to find the transport there

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So after playing around with the grapple beam a bit I'm not sure where to go, there don't seem to be any grapple beam doors or boxes that'll take me to a new area. Don't really need a hint yet, I'll bumble around for a while more, but as I've been doing so

This missile expansion has been driving me insane. How the hell do you get this?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

I honestly can't wait for this one to get randomizer mods tbh
i don't think this game would make for a very good randomizer for the same reason as Fusion

it would require changing a lot of the structure of the game and removing large parts of it that would cause hardlocks. you can't really randomize the EMMIs because they're strictly tied to their environments and randomizing the powers they give you would be difficult.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LifeLynx posted:

I really want a pro controller for this game, but since I don't do much Switch gaming, it seems like a waste to spend an extra $50 to make the controls on a ~10 hour game less frustrating.

You could just get a mayflash dongle so you can use almost any other console controller for your Switch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FZeroRacer posted:

i don't think this game would make for a very good randomizer for the same reason as Fusion

it would require changing a lot of the structure of the game and removing large parts of it that would cause hardlocks. you can't really randomize the EMMIs because they're strictly tied to their environments and randomizing the powers they give you would be difficult.

Fusion had more stringent plot-related locking and significant area changes, wheras removing some of the backtrack-locking stuff here in the forms of "a bit of rubble", "a couple of plants", and "some doors that have the power turned off because of a switch" would probably solve a large number of the traversal issues

I still strongly suspect people will want to work on it just because the movement/physics is :discourse: good

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

This missile expansion has been driving me insane. How the hell do you get this?

You need a new-to-this-game item, you'll know it when you get it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Later unlock. It tutorializes getting over crumble blocks like that so you'll know it when you see it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the game is fairly responsive in terms of "Samus does things in reponse to your lightest input," but they feel a bit clunky in that they frequently involve using more buttons than is comfortable for many people.

Trying to swing from one grapple point and grab the next, for example, involves holding down way more buttons than it really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
This game is so good it’s getting me hyped up to replay the GBA games and Super, maybe even learn how to speed through them which I never had the drive to do as a kid