Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Rick posted:

Other than Murray and Hardaway (who was good , I guess the rest of us forgot) this entire round has been the waiver wire all stars from last season. Which makes me nervous about what waivers are going to look like once this gets going.
I don't mind it because of the flickering hope that you can bump into somebody who exceeds all expectations and becomes a solid rotational player on your team. The reality is that this didn't really happen for even one player in the final 20-30 picks of last year's draft. Looking at the last three rounds, pretty much every single player put up numbers either at or below general expectations, and nobody really stood out as a clear steal. At least w a deeper league the waiver wire should largely be a different set of players - save me from adding/cutting Bogdan Bogdanovic another 85 times. I wonder who the most transacted player was last season Dort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ugh caris levert already hurt. My best laid schemes!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Ugh caris levert already hurt. My best laid schemes!

Thats fuckin rough.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I'm off to bed soon so if Durin doesn't draft soon it might be a long pause.

vv all good!

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 30, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Red Rox posted:

I'm off to bed soon so if Durin doesn't draft soon it might be a long pause.

Sorry about that. Y'all missed me laying down for a nap by a single minute (it's amazing how many drat times it has ended up my turn while I'm asleep when I only sleep 3-5 hours a night).

We recovered really nicely after taking a week to draft the first round an a half.

kalensc posted:

When the draft winds up will it go to waivers for a bit, or straight into FA?

I ended up having to pause the draft to confirm but yes everyone is on waivers once it ended.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Jeez, my list of bookmarked players has been absolutely decimated these past two rounds. Time to scout anew, hah.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm really pleased to get john wall so late. yeah he sucks rear end irl, and he isn't going to play for an indeterminate amount of time, but his terrible season last year was apparently good for some serious points in this format. If he decides to play or they get him a trade, he'll be a lot more valuable than anyone else at this point.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Sorry about that. Y'all missed me laying down for a nap by a single minute (it's amazing how many drat times it has ended up my turn while I'm asleep when I only sleep 3-5 hours a night).

We recovered really nicely after taking a week to draft the first round an a half.

I ended up having to pause the draft to confirm but yes everyone is on waivers once it ended.

I set the email alert for the account I was getting emails to pop on my phone. You can thank me

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

thank you dejan

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DeimosRising posted:

I'm really pleased to get john wall so late. yeah he sucks rear end irl, and he isn't going to play for an indeterminate amount of time, but his terrible season last year was apparently good for some serious points in this format. If he decides to play or they get him a trade, he'll be a lot more valuable than anyone else at this point.

Yeah I was going to pick him that round. He was in the 30s of average last year. He just only played two times a week max and throw in that he needs to get traded or buyout, I couldn’t justify it earlier.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Thank you Dejan

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
How important are divisions to you all? It's something I like quite a bit, but I'd rather have a league that was its natural size rather than have someone who doesn't want to be here, or to exclude someone who does want to be here, just to make us have even numbers that allow a division. I can make a blank team and we can have division though, if you so desire. I can either cancel all its games (potentially unfair to the people who have the team in their division due to less opportunity for a win, more work for me) or just let everyone have a free win against it (unfair to the people in the division that doesn't have the team since they all get one less win...less work for me though).

I sent a straw poll link to your email.

Summary of recent format changes:

Playoffs set to conclude the last week of the regular season,instead of March,which was the default setting for some reason.
Added games against the median-Should combat bad breaks a little. And since we currently have teams with bye weeks, it gives those people a reason to play those weeks.

All of those are up for comment or debate. Here are some other thoughts I'd like to discuss, but at a leisurely pace since they don't need to be solved until next season, if one happens.

Keepers: I am proposing we stick to one keeper, with the understanding that your keeper is in place of your first round draft pick for next season; I feel like this will solve some of the problems we had this draft (it is the recommended way to do this in the rules). I don't want to go over 1 keeper in a league this size but am interested if anyone feels differently.

Should picks continue to go in the order of worst to best? Should I do a lottery? Should we change to snake after the third round? Should we get rid of snaking all together? Where should new teams fit in?

Inactivity: It honestly wasn't that bad last year, every fantasy league has inactive teams. But if it gets bad we as a thread reserve the right to come up with some rules about it.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 2, 2021

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

You're probably right about Wall. This league doesn't heavily penalize FG% which is his biggest liability, if he gets playing time anywhere he'll put up points for sure. I don't know about anyone else returning from last season but I avoided injured players like the plague, if one of your guys goes down it becomes such a juggling act with the IR slot. Once we're that deep in the draft though it's a lot easier to justify taking a flyer.

Rick I voted yes on a dummy team because divisions are cool and I'm fine with the less-work-for-you scenario after all the hassle of the first round etc., I'm happy rolling the dice on a single game who cares.

If anyone's interested, post a) the player you think will be your biggest steal of the draft and b) the player you think will be someone else's biggest steal of the draft.

a) Jalen Suggs (8th/93rd). I was thrilled to land Tyrese Maxey in the 10th, but am going with Suggs, he'll get plenty of minutes and I think he'll exceed expectations and be a real bright spot in the Magic's poo poo-rear end season
b) probably THJ (Maestro, 9th/110th). Getting a starter this late is good enough, but getting someone who's one Porzingis injury away from being Luka's favorite target is phenomenal. Honorable mention to Keldon Johnson (dutchy, 7th/90th) who I can see averaging like 18/8 or more and being in the MIP conversation

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

a) I'm kinda betting that Markkanen and/or Bledsoe have much better seasons on their new teams. Apparently Bledsoe will be a starter but we'll see.
b) whoever drafter Jrue Holiday, wherever they drafted him, because he is awesome. He was the unsung star for both my fantasy teams last year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A) I think NAW is going to go nuts this year. I'm not 100% sure I even needed to draft him . . . . but I think Zion might not be the first or second option as the season starts and he plays his way back into shape especially if they do the weird minutes thing. .

B) I think Paul George is going to have a monster year. I guess second pick is pretty high but I would've drafted him in the pre-first. But then I'll say Klay; if he is like 70% Klay that was a massive steal.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I was definitely surprised THJ was still available. I dared to pass him up for a couple rounds.

I had my eye on a few guys - Deandre Hunter (7.8), Horford (8.13) - but Bobby Portis at 10.4 is good value. He’s streaky but high upside and is going to be incredibly confident, plus might see an increase in minutes this year.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Rick posted:

A) I think NAW is going to go nuts this year. I'm not 100% sure I even needed to draft him . . . . but I think Zion might not be the first or second option as the season starts and he plays his way back into shape especially if they do the weird minutes thing.

NAW was definitely on my short list when you grabbed him.

1) Keldon Johnson. Just a carbon copy of last year would be fine (#88 in scoring last year, #100 off the board counting keepers) but with DeRozan gone and Pop talking about playing with pace and all that, I think 15-18 PPG and 7 or 8 RPG are in reach. HM to Isaac Okoro, who could outperform pick #159 (inc. keepers) by several rounds OR get cut by Thanksgiving

2) Hard to disagree with THJ but I also really really really love Dejounte Murray at 5.1 and feel like a total idiot for letting it happen. Also gonna agree with Portis in Round 10 being a good get

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

What advantages do divisions offer btw? Would it end up scheduling 2x in-division and 1x cross-division to get to 19 match-ups?

If a dummy team is needed, you could hold an "expansion draft" and each of us can protect 6-7 players on our current rosters, and give it waiver priority for the first week. Help make it somewhat competitive so schedule imbalance is less of an issue?

I could assist with the work of creating/managing a dummy team if that's helpful Rick. Thanks again for all the organizing you do for this league. :yaycat:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Divisions cause the distribution of your games to be a bit more predictable and it breaks seeding ties.

I am not sure it makes the game distribution more fair since you can end up in a division that is too hard or too easy for your team. Also it can cause mismatched playoff matchups (but only in the first round). But also you can end up with extremely fair game distribution and teams getting into the playoffs that might not have a chance otherwise. It all sort of depends on how the teams are aligned.

I think I would probably try to group most of the newer teams in the same division, unless random was preferred.

It wouldn’t be that much work if it was something click based but the way you cancel games in the custom scheduler is you have to drag teams into a “canceled” box. Which is cute in a way but not practical for canceling 20 games or whatever.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I guess I’m not sure I understand what the upside is on divisions? Seems like all the problems we have are the same just from having an odd number of teams

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It can be a way to bring balance since divisions play against each other more than people outside the division.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I say we skip divisions and the playoffs can have 12 teams and the team that misses out gets a second keeper or something.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Red Rox posted:

I say we skip divisions and the playoffs can have 12 teams and the team that misses out gets a second keeper or something.

Keep as much of your awful team as you want, loser!

Wait does everyone go to the playoffs as it stands? That’s fine I just didn’t realize

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Last year everyone made the playoffs but I'm not sure if that's something we were committed to. I brought up wanting to shrink the playoff field but kinda dropped it because I felt silly advocating for such a fundamental change halfway thru the season.

FWIW I would still like to trim it. Maybe like 7 teams with the #1 seed getting a bye or something?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It is currently set at what it was last year at 10 teams. So three teams are gonna miss as-is. We can definitely decrease the size. What do other people think?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lol also I will say that Khyri Thomas was actually #3 on my board to be drafted in the last two rounds and I absolutely would've done it and the Rockets have waived him as part of a trade completion.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Dutchy posted:

FWIW I would still like to trim it. Maybe like 7 teams with the #1 seed getting a bye or something?

I like that and thinks it incentivizes being active in the regular season a bit more.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Cosign

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dutchy posted:

Last year everyone made the playoffs but I'm not sure if that's something we were committed to. I brought up wanting to shrink the playoff field but kinda dropped it because I felt silly advocating for such a fundamental change halfway thru the season.

That sounds like a pretty good system.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Keep as much of your awful team as you want, loser!

haha exactly!

Yeah the 7-team finals sounds like a good plan. Can the losers have a losers playoff for losers?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you haven't voted in the poll, please do so it's not sitting as it currently is at 4-4 which is kind of the most inconclusive result possible.

https://strawpoll.com/v5okf1rf2/r

Red Rox posted:

haha exactly!

Yeah the 7-team finals sounds like a good plan. Can the losers have a losers playoff for losers?
That depends on what you mean. Can we do double elimination? No it doesn't offer it.

The 10 person playoff format had a defacto losers playoff though, because teams 1-6 got a first round bye, so teams 7-10 had to play their way in.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

If you haven't voted in the poll, please do so it's not sitting as it currently is at 4-4 which is kind of the most inconclusive result possible.

https://strawpoll.com/v5okf1rf2/r

That depends on what you mean. Can we do double elimination? No it doesn't offer it.

The 10 person playoff format had a defacto losers playoff though, because teams 1-6 got a first round bye, so teams 7-10 had to play their way in.

A lot of fantasy clients let you set up a second bracket for the low seed teams that missed the real playoffs, just so they have something to do at the end of the season

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

A lot of fantasy clients let you set up a second bracket for the low seed teams that missed the real playoffs, just so they have something to do at the end of the season

For some reason despite letting me to allow the dumbest poo poo to be scored, Fleaflicker is very light on playoff rules.

These are my current options note that I can't change first round bye or playoff weeks:

Hold a Playoff Tournament
Yes
No
Number of Teams That Make the Playoffs

Championship Week
17 Mon 2/7-Sun 2/13
18 Mon 2/14-Sun 2/20
19 Mon 2/21-Sun 2/27
20 Mon 2/28-Sun 3/6
21 Mon 3/7-Sun 3/13
22 Mon 3/14-Sun 3/20
23 Mon 3/21-Sun 3/27
24 Mon 3/28-Sun 4/3
25 Mon 4/4-Sun 4/10
Re-Seed After Each Round
Yes
No
1st Rd Byes
Playoff Weeks
22 - 25

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Rick posted:

For some reason despite letting me to allow the dumbest poo poo to be scored, Fleaflicker is very light on playoff rules.

These are my current options note that I can't change first round bye or playoff weeks:

Hold a Playoff Tournament
Yes
No
Number of Teams That Make the Playoffs

Championship Week
17 Mon 2/7-Sun 2/13
18 Mon 2/14-Sun 2/20
19 Mon 2/21-Sun 2/27
20 Mon 2/28-Sun 3/6
21 Mon 3/7-Sun 3/13
22 Mon 3/14-Sun 3/20
23 Mon 3/21-Sun 3/27
24 Mon 3/28-Sun 4/3
25 Mon 4/4-Sun 4/10
Re-Seed After Each Round
Yes
No
1st Rd Byes
Playoff Weeks
22 - 25

I assume that changing the # of playoff teams will automatically adjust the # byes and # of playoff weeks?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Correct.

Looks like no dummy team narrowly wins.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
In case some of you haven't seen it, new poll: https://strawpoll.com/p9pa45hq1

Basically do you want more games or more fair distribution of byes.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I was also a bit jealous of the Jordan Poole pick up. He could have a breakout year. There was somebody else, but I forget. I was going to commend whoever got Patty Mills, but I’m glad I didn’t say anything :henget: bye Kyrie have a nice vacation

Mason Plumlee might be my worst pick / biggest reach, but I was nearing the part of the draft where I had a positional need. I’m sure he would have been available still a few rounds later

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

im gonna finish last haha

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Thanks for taking one for the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Hey all

After looking at the discussion here, the poll results, and some back-and-forth with Rick, the league was slightly modified schedule-wise.

A dummy team has been added to avoid bye weeks. All 14 teams are in a single division and the regular season will consist of a round-robin which lasts 13 weeks.

The "Play vs Weekly League Median Score" option is active. This means that each week the top 7 scores will earn a bonus win in the standings. So be sure to set your optimal line-up even when you're up against The Washington Generals.

After Week 13 we'll be switching to a custom schedule loosely based on a 13*-team double-elimination bracket. There will also be consolation brackets so that all 13 of us can have match-ups through the final week(s) of play.

(* - if some GMs are no longer able/willing to manage their teams come mid-January, this number can be reduced accordingly)

As we approach the playoffs I'll share the bracket in this thread, and manually enter the weekly match-ups into Fleaflicker.

Good luck everyone! :swish: