Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just want to echo this, between the godawful power system that is biomass & the aforementioned belt issues. It's enough that my friend and I have given up our coop attempt to continue with the game. Just spent the whole time thinking "I could be playing Factorio and actually accomplishing anything".

Meanwhile my coop game with another goon has eclipsed 500 hours. (Note: at least 50% of that is me being AFK, but still). We're just starting to set up our final elevator delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

GotLag posted:

Going by the example there if you wanted to make a big complicated intersection all you'd need is a chain signal at each entrance and a signal at each exit, no need to break it up into smaller blocks.

This wouldn't allow the trains to pass, but if you add an extra set of chain signals at the X, it would work the same way the Satisfactory example did

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 8, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ice Fist posted:

Meanwhile my coop game with another goon has eclipsed 500 hours. (Note: at least 50% of that is me being AFK, but still). We're just starting to set up our final elevator delivery.

Yeah once you know what you are doing, the biomass stuff goes by really quickly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just want to echo this, between the godawful power system that is biomass & the aforementioned belt issues. It's enough that my friend and I have given up our coop attempt to continue with the game. Just spent the whole time thinking "I could be playing Factorio and actually accomplishing anything".

Mayveena posted:

Yeah once you know what you are doing, the biomass stuff goes by really quickly.

Eh, beyond the biomass stuff there are massive differences in feel between the two games.

Factorio has lots of incremental small upgrades and building additions to your existing stuff, and short-term things to pay attention to like pollution or bug attacks. Some projects in Factorio like building a rail network are very big, but most of the growth is more organic. In Satisfactory, there's no such thing as a small job. Almost everything is a Big Project, and they only get bigger and more time-consuming as you advance the techs. The best way to add capacity is to build a new factory somewhere else, three times the size.

As my co-op friend who plays both brought up when we were talking about them, Factorio has a much shorter inner loop to the gameplay. It's totally a preference as to which you like best. He prefers Factorio, I prefer this.

OTOH I feel like Factorio is much better for co-op factory design, because Factorio factories are far more comprehensible. One thing that kinda ended our co-op game was we weren't really building together, we were building different stuff in the same world. It's quite hard to build a complex factory collaboratively unless you sit down and pre-plan the whole thing. (The bigger deal was that his GPU got killed by a failing PSU, so he's now on a 10 year old video card.)

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://youtu.be/kq_IklMd0Mc

The first 90 seconds of this video is me every time.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Klyith posted:

OTOH I feel like Factorio is much better for co-op factory design, because Factorio factories are far more comprehensible. One thing that kinda ended our co-op game was we weren't really building together, we were building different stuff in the same world. It's quite hard to build a complex factory collaboratively unless you sit down and pre-plan the whole thing. (The bigger deal was that his GPU got killed by a failing PSU, so he's now on a 10 year old video card.)

This is true. My friend and I have had generally different tasks. He decided kind of early that he’d deal with all of our power and oil production. He undertook all nuclear production as well I’ve done almost all other manufacturing. It’s a dynamic that has worked really well. Even though we’re not working on the same task we’re both still working towards the same goal and it’s really fun to suddenly see the benefits of the other person’s work - even if I’ve never laid eyes on some of it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
How well do the unofficial dedicated servers work?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boz0r posted:

How well do the unofficial dedicated servers work?

Dedicated servers don't exist yet.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Disappointing Pie posted:

https://youtu.be/kq_IklMd0Mc

The first 90 seconds of this video is me every time.

Am I the only one that just builds out capacity, assuming you will backfill? When I'm in the unlock portion of the game, efficiency just seems like a way to make sure that you will have to refactor multiple times as new stuff unlocks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeh, so far I am putting down storages behind constructors, assemblers and such, so when I can't get 100% efficiency, it'll stock up. It also acts as buffer for whenever I start redoing anything downstream, so that it'll keep collecting intermediate products and things can start back up immediately, because the time to all hoppers being filled is cut down. The simple single level storage container is cheap as gently caress.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Am I the only one that just builds out capacity, assuming you will backfill? When I'm in the unlock portion of the game, efficiency just seems like a way to make sure that you will have to refactor multiple times as new stuff unlocks.

I'm not really picturing a better way to set things up because of limited capacity on belts - if I don't factor ratios it feels like it's going to be really hard to gauge why something isn't getting enough of X down the line, because then I'd basically need to work backwards to figure what's not getting/making enough, and and if it's something like screws, belt capacity becomes a huge headache.

Like when I build, I try to leave myself room to expand everything - I put a miner down, then leave enough room for smelters that would accommodate a mk2 miner.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Klyith posted:

Dedicated servers don't exist yet.

Not official ones, but this guy managed to get some going:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/mqx58c/dedicated_server_docker/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Finally used some gas masks, they don't work in vehicles. :/

--edit: Hmm poo poo, red forest has these explodable boulders. I guess I need sulfur for explosives now.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 9, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tamba posted:

This wouldn't allow the trains to pass, but if you add an extra set of chain signals at the X, it would work the same way the Satisfactory example did

And if those chain signals where ottd path signals, you wouldn't need the x signals.
They make a lot of stuff much easier to design.

And the satisfactory anouncement is kinda unclear if their signals are more like path signals or chain signals.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

And the satisfactory anouncement is kinda unclear if their signals are more like path signals or chain signals.

They are explicitly path signals. Jace went into detail about how they work, with that exact example.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Oxyclean posted:

Like when I build, I try to leave myself room to expand everything - I put a miner down, then leave enough room for smelters that would accommodate a mk2 miner.

What I realized after my first game was anything I built prior to the 2nd space elevator shipment (tiers 1-4) is essentially worthless garbage. It takes more effort to expand & adapt those production lines for later use than it does to flatten and rebuild.

Future production isn't going to be the same as past production. Some of that is just because later techs don't need the same ratios of stuff as earlier ones. But the bigger deal is alt recipes. Early game, I need about the same number of plate & rod constructors. By the mid game, I ideally want zero rod constructors. Early game, modular frames and rotors are both made with iron, later I'm using steel and copper. So space for expansion to handle more input resources is insufficient, everything downstream is getting reconfigured as well.

This is a big reason I think calling any start location 'best' is always subjective -- the North Forest is never where I'd want to start. It's got great resources, and I don't need or even want all that at the start. I want a starter base using crappy resource nodes, so I can abandon it and use the good stuff later.

Tenebrais posted:

They are explicitly path signals. Jace went into detail about how they work, with that exact example.

Definitely path signals, but there's still some significant differences to OTTD. The thing I'm really curious about is that the signals have a direction arrow when you're placing them, but also have a stop indicator on the back side? So that makes me think they're not exactly like anything else. Factorio's signals are all one-directional, OTTD path signals are primarily two-way, these might some sort of in-between thing?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ice Fist posted:

Update: I got sufficiently frustrated at every game in my library that I loaded up our coop game solo and just brute forced coal. I'm somehow supplying 45/min with a 30/min belt, but whatever, not complaining. We have power. Now to just convince her to come back to the game...

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The lowest belt speed is 60/min, I thought.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That’s right, I figured it meant the poster only had 30/m going onto a belt but that would require a single Impure node with a base-clocked mk1 miner.

Unless that’s the case your bandwidth on a mk1 belt is indeed 60/m so that’s why you’re able to get 45/m down it for three coal generators.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, gently caress. I saved within the quartz cave, and when loading in, my Explorer falls through the floor.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

necrotic posted:

The lowest belt speed is 60/min, I thought.

Then I remembered wrong, oops. I must be crossing wires with Factorio again.
I do have a single base-clocked mk1 miner, but it's on the pure node southwest of the grassy plains start. Hauling it up to the lake near spawn.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, gently caress. I saved within the quartz cave, and when loading in, my Explorer falls through the floor.

Load your save into the online map, find the explorer, right click and do update position.
Option 1: do one or two clicks on the +1m button, see if that fixes it.
Option 2: set the Z to like +10000, the explorer will now be well above the surface above the cave, outside. so you can get out of the cave and retrieve it from out there.

I've had a bit of experience with the vehicles clipping through the ground thing, and it's always been from a low ceiling above the vehicle (both placed objects like foundations / machines, and the natural terrain). When I was exploring those caves / laying a truck route in it, I was very careful to park the car in places that had more headroom.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Satisfactory Map was has been a godsend this save. For the first time, I had a loot crate spawn below the map geometry after a fall death. Normally it would have been nothing to just let it go, but I was on the way to deliver the last 200 Smart Plating for T3/T4 unlock.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Fun fact: if you rush into a uranium node without even unlocking the hazmat suit yet, and hand-mine it a few times then run away, you will spend the next hour corpse running and thinking you keep dying because the box is near the radiation node, and then when you realize what’s happening, the next hour trying to click fast enough to open the box and dump the ore before you die again.

Ask me how I know.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Fun fact: if you rush into a uranium node without even unlocking the hazmat suit yet, and hand-mine it a few times then run away, you will spend the next hour corpse running and thinking you keep dying because the box is near the radiation node, and then when you realize what’s happening, the next hour trying to click fast enough to open the box and dump the ore before you die again.

Ask me how I know.

lmao I did this but thankfully it was right near where I set up my base on the edge of the desert

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Satisfactory Map was has been a godsend this save. For the first time, I had a loot crate spawn below the map geometry after a fall death. Normally it would have been nothing to just let it go, but I was on the way to deliver the last 200 Smart Plating for T3/T4 unlock.

is it possible to use the save file editor to unlock coal power before doing anything?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

is it possible to use the save file editor to unlock coal power before doing anything?

Yes, you have all sorts of options! you can also go the other direction if you want to replay some parts.

Edit: that's not what I did though. I just bumped the loot crate up a few meters.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 9, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It remains almost criminal that there’s not an upgraded burner with a conveyor input, especially now that bioburners function as backup power capacity. The one time I played with modded conveyor-fed burners I got all the way through steel and only needed to put coal power up in order to start playing with oil.

It involved a lot of chainsaw time, but I’m a sicko who likes to clear vegetation even when I stop needing biofuel so it wasn’t really extra to me. Not having to build more storage space for the cartoonish amount of vegetation I’ve collected was the new part.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There is a way to belt feed biomass into power generation. It's called the alternate recipes for charcoal and biocoal, and then using coal generators.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 10, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

1. Sweet relief that they have the path signals, my rail network isn't a total loss!

2. lol I was totally wrong that trains on separated rails wouldn't collide.

3. Do the signals have analog positioning anywhere along a track segment, or just at the connection points of track pieces? At the beginning he was like "you can divide up this track however you want", but all the in-game examples looked like they were on the segment joins.

Stock Factorio has only block signals.

Path signals will allow trains to use single bi-directional tracks in at least some cases, which is a thing Factorio can't do. Exactly how that will work is gonna depend on some details that Jace didn't go into though. Particularly that forward path stuff. Like I'm not 100% sure that a short siding for passing will work, but I think they will.

?

Single bi-directional tracks are very easy in factorio, and work for both single and double ended trains.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I wish I knew how to meddle with the save file on the Satisfactory planner but no clue :(

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

There is a way to belt feed biomass into power generation. It's called the alternate recipes for charcoal and biocoal, and then using coal generators.

The problem with this is now that coal generators always burn at 100% a lot of that charcoal is wasted. At that point you might as well be dumping all your biomass in the shredder; at least you'd get a few points out of it.

(Which is ultimately what happens to most of my biomass)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Mayveena posted:

I wish I knew how to meddle with the save file on the Satisfactory planner but no clue :(

Drag your save game file into the little box, wait for it to load. Once it is loaded, you can click on an object (such as a storage container) then right click and it will give you options to empty it or fill it with whatever you like.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

Drag your save game file into the little box, wait for it to load. Once it is loaded, you can click on an object (such as a storage container) then right click and it will give you options to empty it or fill it with whatever you like.

Wow thanks!!!

E: Does it have to be empty because I could only update it to move its position, delete it or advanced debug. I had one item in it.
Ignore, I got it right now

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 10, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

M_Gargantua posted:

?

Single bi-directional tracks are very easy in factorio, and work for both single and double ended trains.

So I talked more to my Factorio friend, and I totally and blatantly misunderstood part of the practical what trains can do explainer I got before. (And also wasn't careful enough in looking at the internet afterwards -- turns out when you look for "bi-directional trains" in factorio that generally means engine on both sides train rather than 2-way track.) My bad.

It seems like factorio chain signals are theoretically capable of doing almost anything, but in complex formations the number of additional signals you have to add can be pretty daunting. Also keeping the signals spaced enough apart has a practical downside of needing more space than might otherwise be needed. The new path signals should be better at both those aspects, since only the endpoints need to be signaled and the game works out the rest (hopefully). Chain works well enough when you have infinite 2d space though.

(Factorio's system seems like it would absolutely suck without blueprints, so good thing CS didn't copy it.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I mean, there's always this for if you want to do 2 way rails in Factorio. I imagine a similar system would work just as well in satisfactory as long as you make sure to have sideline bits.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a site or a guide that kinda can help a beginner get a slightly more organized layout at the beginning?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is there a site or a guide that kinda can help a beginner get a slightly more organized layout at the beginning?

There are some good youtubers out there for tips, I like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Scalti/videos

A lot of useful guides on starter factories and also tips on building scaffolding or cabling or fluids. He seems to have slowed down a bit on producing but hopefully picks up again at some point!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here I was proud to break the 2GW power production barrier, then I was browsing some random poo poo about train networks and game across stray posts about needing 110GW for some factories working towards space elevator phase 4. I always thought these huge nuclear plant bases were an emergent gameplay joke. :[

--edit: I think one of the upcoming long weekends, I'm just gonna build a rail ring around the island.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 10, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

The problem I feel is there's a pretty large gap in progression between biomass burners and coal power. If there was a belt-fed biomass burner or some other semi-automatable power source unlockable at Tier 2 it would help bridge that gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now that zooping is becoming a thing, they should probably give 16m or larger foundations a consideration. That'll probably help towards any object/entity limits, aswell improve rendering, since it cuts down on polys. I just laid out a foundation for a power plant, and god it's so much tiles.

--edit: So I'm making fuel for 43 fuel generators. :psyduck:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 10, 2021