Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm just annoyed because season 3 of amphibia is taking a very long time to get to the place I normally watch that kind of thing.

My housemate is annoyed about the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Beachcomber posted:

I do love that but hate literally everything else about this. So like, more Bill Cypher in a bubble please.

Somehow Bill Cipher is still extremely good even when surrounded by garbage.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just learned Owl House is cancelled and now I'm mad as hell.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Applewhite posted:

Well, sure it’s cancelled, but at least they knew about it and will wrap up the story. If I were making a show on Disney, I wouldn’t plan for more than 3 seasons anymore, since it seems like that’s their unofficial policy now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JazzFlight posted:

Well, sure it’s cancelled, but at least they knew about it and will wrap up the story. If I were making a show on Disney, I wouldn’t plan for more than 3 seasons anymore, since it seems like that’s their unofficial policy now.

Still tho.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Believe me that within minutes I was on the internet, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The creators have at least gone on record as saying the show will get a proper finale right?

Sort of related, is Amphibia still going or has that been canceled too?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

The creators have at least gone on record as saying the show will get a proper finale right?

Sort of related, is Amphibia still going or has that been canceled too?

A "truncated finale" to my understanding.

Haven't heard anything about Amphibia.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, so when is Owl House scheduled to end then?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Amphibia's third and final series is airing now, and I believe it was always meant to be a 3-series show.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking of just finished the two seasons of Amphibia that were on Disney+ and what's with all these Disney cartoon villians wanting to come to earth? Bill from Gravity Falls did it and I think Belos in Owl House has a similar plan cooking too.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Speaking of just finished the two seasons of Amphibia that were on Disney+ and what's with all these Disney cartoon villians wanting to come to earth? Bill from Gravity Falls did it and I think Belos in Owl House has a similar plan cooking too.

They have to break out of their cartoon world ASAP before Disney cancels it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isn't that just the Disney Channel 3-season rule having been reasserted after Star vs. extending past the limit didn't work out? I guess Rebels also extended past the limit and season 4 wasn't exactly its best material.

Disney's TV division seems like it's kind of a weird little secluded part of the company that's practically an afterthought, or a rounding error on Disney's overall budget. Especially now that Disney has become a massive media umbrella company. They'll fund the creation of some quality stuff, but they don't care enough to try investing more to see if it'll hit the big time or make it bloom into something more than just the one show. It's a weird approach. It produces a lot of results, but it feels a little melancholy that it won't lead to anything more. I guess it's better than Nickelodeon's approach of latching onto a few successes with a deathgrip and barely trying with other prospective new projects.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

pretty sure it's been canceled for a while now.

I mean, maybe for some reason it just got announced "officially" or something but it's been known that they'd be only getting a truncated season 3 to wrap up the story for a long time

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I forget, was Disney's 65 episodes per show a limit or a requirement?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

pretty sure it's been canceled for a while now.

I mean, maybe for some reason it just got announced "officially" or something but it's been known that they'd be only getting a truncated season 3 to wrap up the story for a long time

Well *I* just found out and it breaks my heart.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Mraagvpeine posted:

I forget, was Disney's 65 episodes per show a limit or a requirement?

I believe it's the minimum they needed for syndication.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Applewhite posted:

The producers were literally told by a Disney suit that it doesn’t fit the “Disney brand”, aka it was far too gay for Disney so they murdered it. All parties involved deny that reasoning for it, but it’s blindingly obvious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The producers were literally told by a Disney suit that it doesn’t fit the “Disney brand”, aka it was far too gay for Disney so they murdered it. All parties involved deny that reasoning for it, but it’s blindingly obvious.

That wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. Hope it at least is able to end decently enough at any rate.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In fairness to Disney I also would be wary of giving shows a fourth season after the shitshow that was Star vs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

In fairness to Disney I also would be wary of giving shows a fourth season after the shitshow that was Star vs.

As has been mentioned a lot that is indeed a big reason why

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm gonna be honest, if they were so hung up on the gay thing, I imagine they wouldn't have allowed them this far to begin with.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Literally every other aspect of TOH feels deliberately designed to piss off all the usual suspects as much as possible, specifically to disarm any potential backlash to the gay stuff. They were never going to be on board in the first place, so why should anyone care if they have one more thing to bellyache about?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pyroi posted:

I believe it's the minimum they needed for syndication.

There is different “magic numbers” for syndication where if you pass one it’s worthless to make another episode unless you plan to pass the next magic number.

Like if you made 52 episodes of something you could sell it as a once a week for a year package, but if you made 55 episodes that’s nothing and no one will buy it unless it’s so big it could have a special schedule. But if you think you can get to the next syndication package number you should do that. So every time you pass a common syndication package number you are stuck in no mans land until you hit the next one. And it was something like 65 episodes works out to some schedule that is popular then 100 is the next one so it’s a huge gulf where if the show isn’t full steam ahead to make several more seasons that is the place you kill it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

I'm gonna be honest, if they were so hung up on the gay thing, I imagine they wouldn't have allowed them this far to begin with.

I was gonna say, it's not like they were very subtle about the gay stuff, if that was the thing that was gonna kill the show it would've been DOA much faster. Maybe I'm too naive in believing Terrace's post at face value but I think it really isn't a big stretch to say COVID and the resulting budget cuts killed the show more than any representation did.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Meanwhile I'm also still mad that Infinity Train never got that fifth season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Meanwhile I'm also still mad that Infinity Train never got that fifth season.

Haven’t gotten around to watching that yet, did it at least get a decent enough finale?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It had a final season that nobody expected (other than the people making it) because of how the episode orders were split up. It was more or less a self-contained story with hints at what might have happened in a future season. I kind of like that the narrative focus stayed with the main characters and ignored the larger plot happening in the background, kind of serving as a statement about what’s really important, which is the characters and their struggle and growth.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Haven’t gotten around to watching that yet, did it at least get a decent enough finale?

Infinity train has 3 very excellent seasons and then the last one is just kinda ok. It definitely makes me wish there was more and doesn't wrap up anything that it didn't introduce itself, so I wouldn't really call it a "finale." It's really more like, just another season of the show, but with a significantly lighter tone especially when contrasted with how season 3 ended.

The season 5 plot that season 4 hints at sounds really good and I weep every night that we will not see it

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I loved the first 2 seasons, felt disappointed that the 3rd season left things open-ended, and didn’t like/hated the 4th season. I didn’t like the characters of season 4 and felt that the story they were telling was really bland and unfocused. I also hated how it had nothing to do with the show’s overall plot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The fourth season isn't great. It's doing a lot of world building and setting things up generally, and I strongly disagree about there being no plot use to it all -- I'm not even referring to the background plot happening simultaneously, just purely the way the season's used to establish the pre-collapse baseline status quo of the train, and how fundamentally hosed and useless the entire place was. You can see why there was a coup.

But I also thought the lead characters, and their arcs, weren't handled very well, and I thought the way things concluded was really too easy given how messy and intractable the situation seemed to be. All the leads are in this weird crabs-in-a-barrel type of situation, pulling each other down and getting really co-dependent. So the idea that all they needed to do was apologise and things could go back to how things "should" have been seems a bit suss. TBH the entire thing would have probably worked better if they'd never escaped from the train.

Fake Edit: Huh, thinking back, I think Audrey Wasilewski's character (the talking Cow Creamer) is meant to be a Wonderfalls reference, right down to the silly accent. Certainly, there can't be many TV shows about talking cow creamers, and it's unusual that she's been in most (if not all) of them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I liked that the resolution of the fourth season was two Canadians teaching people to apologize. It was a little on the nose, even.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It probably wasn't the gay stuff but the serialized story telling unfortunately. Big City Greens is doing solid (though waning) as non-serialized animated shows on competitors networks The Loud House (and its spin-off) and Teen Titans Go are still chugging along. It also wasn't hitting the targeted demographics which is also a problem that's plagues any good series forever. I don't pay too much attention to the live action offerings of the networks, but I assume they're also sitcom style so that also doesn't help. That they couldn't find a way into a merchandising deal is also a major problem as that could at least buoy them further, but from what the creator of Amphibia said, toy distributors are very weird and old fashioned and anything that appeals to both boy and girls throws them for a loving loop and they just refuse to deal with it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So wait, what happened with Star vs. and its 4th season? I never got around to watching it and I've suspended most of my streaming subs for a bit.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Trebuchet King posted:

So wait, what happened with Star vs. and its 4th season? I never got around to watching it and I've suspended most of my streaming subs for a bit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got our first clip from Hulu Animaniacs S2:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yWy1LginS4M

The show drops on November 5th

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The fourth season wasn't awful, but it was pretty not good. It lacked dramatic direction, and the conclusion felt bad. Which I think the problem isn't that it should've ended earlier, it's that the show never really had a plan for going past the season it was in. Other shows would do better with longer runtimes if they could at least plan forward for it, especially since Star vs. started out with a bit of a handicap of things that executives added that weren't originally meant to be in the show.

I've been needing to catch up on Owl House, and last time I tried, I remember why I fell off. I'm just really uninterested in standard high school stories about high school things.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Trebuchet King posted:

Star arguably ends the series by committing omniversal genocide

Official statements from the staff are that it wasn't supposed to be that, but that's definitely how it comes off in the show itself, which means people are still making memes about Star being a Thanos tier villain

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Larryb posted:

We’ve got our first clip from Hulu Animaniacs S2:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yWy1LginS4M

The show drops on November 5th

…I thought they were dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The_Doctor posted:

…I thought they were dogs?

I just assumed they were doing a Thundercats send up, cause they're 90's characters too, right?