Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Magni posted:

Sir Lewis Brindley. Why bother importing rum when your schnapps production can double up as your Old World rum production?

I haven't found that person yet, despite continually doing quests and running expeditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Finally hit the point where Crown Falls has more must-constantly-produce-this goods (in order to get bonus goods cycles) that I’ve got cargo ships moving them to the island with the second-biggest Docklands, to exchange for the goods I’ve already been importing to the Falls.

Skyscrapers are really cool!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I haven't found that person yet, despite continually doing quests and running expeditions.

Just roll the dice a lot at Eli's prison, that generally works best once you got at least Artisans or Engineers rolling and don't have the research institute yet.

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 28, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This mod just released 3 days ago and I thought some people here might be interested - it's kind of cheaty but it's also what I've wanted most out of this game

https://www.nexusmods.com/anno1800/mods/226
It's a custom session that you can unlock from the world map by clicking on it as soon as you start a new game. It's a very idealized version of the old world - 20 large islands, 8 small islands, 4 traders. Every island has maximum resource deposits and the mining deposits are nonspecific "Mineral Deposts" that accept any kind of mine (you have to place a new "mineral mine" on them then select what it mines through a menu on that)

Made by the same person who made the custom session with 4x Crown Falls islands specifically because that map had lots of flickering issues for some people (like me!)

NPCs can settle there too but I'm not sure if they know how to use the mineral mines correctly, I play with them turned off :kiddo:

If you just want more good land to build on without worrying about rivers, lack of resources, distance to traders, etc. it's pretty great.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 29, 2021

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
That's pretty cool. I kinda like the idea of having an extra session to go for truly colossal populations on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

We're offering some brand new fragrances with our shampoos this season! Now for sale: Gunship Diplomacy, Napalm in the Morning and Dy-No-Mite!

The new items for the Tourist Season Orchards and Chemical Plants that the High Life DLC added are glorious. Can you believe this thing was only about $120K in Isabelle Sarmento's shop? There's also one that gives ethanol from lemonade, and has New World orchards produce tobacco, chocolate and coffee.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m building my skyscrapers completely non-optimally and orchards are a pain but the skyscraper DLC stuff is really cool. First time if really dug into the tourist stuff this deeply too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Building a new PC, and splurged on an LG C1 48" for a new monitor. Phone pic doesn't do it justice, but Anno is loving amazing with this much real estate.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Yeah, Anno is what I’ve been playing on mine and it’s amazing.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yall know if it's easily possible to edit game creation settings after the fact without causing problems? Picked up my most recent save again to check out skyscrapers and having left influence on low is proving a real drag. If not, I'm probably gonna have to set up a dedicated engineer island with that palace perk that gives influence per engineer house.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Eschatos posted:

Yall know if it's easily possible to edit game creation settings after the fact without causing problems? Picked up my most recent save again to check out skyscrapers and having left influence on low is proving a real drag. If not, I'm probably gonna have to set up a dedicated engineer island with that palace perk that gives influence per engineer house.
I don’t think you can change the settings later in the game, but you get influence when you upgrade investor skyscraper levels so you should get a whole lot of it fast as you build that up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Until profile level 41 you can just go "400 population = 1 level" for your 10/15/20 influence. After that it still takes a while so 4-500/level is an excellent baseline.

Which basically means that for a good, long time 1 full hotel is basically a free level up.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t think you can change the settings later in the game, but you get influence when you upgrade investor skyscraper levels so you should get a whole lot of it fast as you build that up.

You do? These skyscrapers are still only showing 1 influence per. Or is it not until level 5?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

On low influence:
Engineer skyscrapers give: +0, +1, +1
Investor skyscrapers give: +1, +1, +2, +2, +2

If you manage the panorama effect as well you'll get bonus residents (and cash though that's less important) per skyscraper module. Those residents will help boost you to the next population level for the next profile level and its influence boost.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So what's the optimal way to manage skyscraper bonuses? I assume I'm going to want to have them all at minimum level 3 for the influence, but beyond that, I'm sure some arrangement of 5s, 4s and 3s will be ideal.

Also, what do yall think of the world class reefer ship blueprint you get from the docklands DLC? Double world map travel speed is nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth twice as much influence as a regular cargo ship. Does bonus movement speed from items apply to world map travel?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yes bonuses from equipped items apply during inter-session travel, it makes the -cargo slowdown items particularly useful.

I set my most recent game to High influence, so I’ve been using reefers with blue or purple screw propellers for all of my remote logistics and it’s basically eliminated the constant irritation of needing to check up on supply lines.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Eschatos posted:

So what's the optimal way to manage skyscraper bonuses? I assume I'm going to want to have them all at minimum level 3 for the influence, but beyond that, I'm sure some arrangement of 5s, 4s and 3s will be ideal.

I remember reading a thread on the Anno reddit where someone figured out that you can mix Engineer and Investor Skyscrapers to maximize the Panorama effect. Investor Skyscrapers of the same level count as being higher in Panorama effect as Engineer Skyscrapers of the same height. Can't confirm this though, as I haven't explored skyscraper content yet, so you might want to test it out for yourself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Also, what do yall think of the world class reefer ship blueprint you get from the docklands DLC? Double world map travel speed is nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth twice as much influence as a regular cargo ship. Does bonus movement speed from items apply to world map travel?

The Reefers are double the influence, but at the same time they're basically halving the ships you need for international shipping. Basically they're huge for stuff like Rum and Coffee. And yes, as LonesomSon said: travel across the world map is based on a ship's speed so any movement speed items will speed them up even more.

If you don't want to use Reefers, Zeppelins are the next fastest for cross-sector shipping. Despite having only 4 slots, the fact that their top speed (which I think is the speed the game uses for sail/air ships when crossing the world map) is 3x a cargo ship means they enter warp speed the moment they're on the world map.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Alkydere posted:

If you don't want to use Reefers, Zeppelins are the next fastest for cross-sector shipping. Despite having only 4 slots, the fact that their top speed (which I think is the speed the game uses for sail/air ships when crossing the world map) is 3x a cargo ship means they enter warp speed the moment they're on the world map.

Wait does that mean sailing ships are faster at world map travel than cargo ships? Should I just be using a fuckton of clippers?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Airships are substantially faster than Clippers

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I really don't know how the game rates sail/airship speed for world map crossing.

But the clipper is 5.5-19.8
The airship is 9.4-32.8
While cargo ships are 6 slots but go at a flat 10.4

So the Clipper can go from about 1/2 to 2x the speed of cargo ships so I think they average out to about the same but the Cargo Ship gains 50% more cargo space and a second item slot for extra speed or maybe to reduce its maintenance cost. Meanwhile the Airship goes from 0.9-3x the speed of Cargo Ship does so it comes out ahead.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

LonsomeSon posted:

Yes bonuses from equipped items apply during inter-session travel, it makes the -cargo slowdown items particularly useful.

If so, it feels like going with cargo ships would absolutely be the optimal play, since they have more equipment slots. So two cargos would end up collectively faster than one reefer for the same amount of influence.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Eschatos posted:

If so, it feels like going with cargo ships would absolutely be the optimal play, since they have more equipment slots. So two cargos would end up collectively faster than one reefer for the same amount of influence.

Reefer has a built-in bonus, it's twice as fast on the world map compared to other ship of same speed. So even without items it crosses the ocean as if it had speed of 22.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 9, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

2x cargo ships: $1,000 upkeep, 6 influence, and if you really want to push the efficiency angle you need to get ahold of 2 good items for each.

1x Reefer: $750 upkeep, 6 influence. You can basically imagine it traded 1 item slot for a permanently installed warp drive.

Either way you do you.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The higher base transit-map speed results in more bonus speed from speed-boost items, and a purple screw propeller from Nate, Archie, or Isabel eliminates cargo slowdown while also speeding a boat up.

It’s absolutely worth building a couple reefers for rum and coffee, past that really depends on influence. I tend to apply Factorio logic: the approach to problems is always More, not Efficiency. In this case, More Housing > population > both influence from population as well as from being able to upgrade more Engineers for more influence.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m trying to redo my New World-Trelawney trade routes with a big storage harbor right next to the edge of each map to make good use of reefers and…it’s a pain in the rear end. Trade routes are definitely something that grows organically over time for me and so there’s no rhyme or reason to it. Trying to rebuild it from scratch is a mess, especially with citrus/wax/camphor added on top of the usual stuff.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m trying to redo my New World-Trelawney trade routes with a big storage harbor right next to the edge of each map to make good use of reefers and…it’s a pain in the rear end. Trade routes are definitely something that grows organically over time for me and so there’s no rhyme or reason to it. Trying to rebuild it from scratch is a mess, especially with citrus/wax/camphor added on top of the usual stuff.

I get to this point where everything just becomes a bit too complicated so I move to a hub and spoke. Only one island from each session goes to or receives from a different session. I am trying to figure out if it is best to make the hub the closest island, or the largest consuming island. I feel like hub and spoke with reefers connecting two sessions with islands right at the border is the most efficient use of them. On the other hand some items have such a huge bandwidth need, rum and coffee, that it seems to make more sense to go directand make the hubs the big producers and demanders, regardless of geographic proximity to the border. I have not done a lot of tourist activity yet, how does citrus/wax/camphor impact this?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Probably could get away with one trade route for camphor wax, and one for the rest of New World orchard products.

The demand for Souvenirs is robust

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I get to this point where everything just becomes a bit too complicated so I move to a hub and spoke. Only one island from each session goes to or receives from a different session. I am trying to figure out if it is best to make the hub the closest island, or the largest consuming island. I feel like hub and spoke with reefers connecting two sessions with islands right at the border is the most efficient use of them. On the other hand some items have such a huge bandwidth need, rum and coffee, that it seems to make more sense to go directand make the hubs the big producers and demanders, regardless of geographic proximity to the border. I have not done a lot of tourist activity yet, how does citrus/wax/camphor impact this?

I haven't gone super hard on tourists, but with a few thousand you really don't go through all that much of their new precursor ingredients. The new skyscraper stuff has been much more of a pain in the rear end.

On a different note, is there some hotkey to mass upgrade skyscrapers that I'm missing? Having to manually click through every single skyscraper to upgrade is getting old.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
I think I hit a bug in my play through with the enbesa missions and I've somehow been unable to unlock scholars and I have no story missions in enbesa. I don't know if one of the missions was on a timer that ran out and I can't restart it or what I might have done. I have over 300 elders in enbesa and I was doing some quests for the scholar guy but I can't build the institute in the old world or in trelawny and I can't build any scholar housing or anything. I can't find anything useful googling around, so any help would be appreciated.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Eschatos posted:

I haven't gone super hard on tourists, but with a few thousand you really don't go through all that much of their new precursor ingredients. The new skyscraper stuff has been much more of a pain in the rear end.

On a different note, is there some hotkey to mass upgrade skyscrapers that I'm missing? Having to manually click through every single skyscraper to upgrade is getting old.

‘I’ works like ‘u’ but for upgrading skyscraper level.

Is there a hotkey to open the docklands export contract page?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

redpleb posted:

I think I hit a bug in my play through with the enbesa missions and I've somehow been unable to unlock scholars and I have no story missions in enbesa. I don't know if one of the missions was on a timer that ran out and I can't restart it or what I might have done. I have over 300 elders in enbesa and I was doing some quests for the scholar guy but I can't build the institute in the old world or in trelawny and I can't build any scholar housing or anything. I can't find anything useful googling around, so any help would be appreciated.

You have to finish the quest line with Sir Blake to get the Research Institute. The 3 islands for Enbessan Unification don't matter besides giving the player a bonus item at the end of the questline with Blake. Until he pulls up stakes and leaves that southern island formerly held by the "nomads" to the player you can't build the Research Institute. The moment he does that you can get your Research on. Also you can snag that island up yourself.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

Alkydere posted:

You have to finish the quest line with Sir Blake to get the Research Institute. The 3 islands for Enbessan Unification don't matter besides giving the player a bonus item at the end of the questline with Blake. Until he pulls up stakes and leaves that southern island formerly held by the "nomads" to the player you can't build the Research Institute. The moment he does that you can get your Research on. Also you can snag that island up yourself.

that's part of the problem, there's no quests from him or anyone else in enbesa. He's still on his island but no missions accept for the trelawny missions I haven't completed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Load an autosave. Go to the load menu and you can look up the autosaves for each of your saved campaigns.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there a way to set an island to automatically trash any resources above a certain amount?

My coal and sewing machine storage keeps filling up faster than I can unload it on NPCs (unless I make a trade route and then always have 0 in stock) which is stopping my item-appended production of oil, grammophones etc.

edit: Ah I just realized I can set under 50 tons of an item in a trade route, I guess the best option is finding the right amount to sell to a local trader in a trade route without killing my own supply off?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 10, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there a way to set an island to automatically trash any resources above a certain amount?

My coal and sewing machine storage keeps filling up faster than I can unload it on NPCs (unless I make a trade route and then always have 0 in stock) which is stopping my item-appended production of oil, grammophones etc.

edit: Ah I just realized I can set under 50 tons of an item in a trade route, I guess the best option is finding the right amount to sell to a local trader in a trade route without killing my own supply off?

If you click the item in the warehouse you can set a minimum stock. Your trade routes and the NPCs will always leave whatever you set there and only take the excess.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Besides setting minimum stock also remember that overproduction is just the matter of your upkeep still being paid unless you turn the industry or building off manually. Selling to NPCs tends to be neutral except for some of the flavor routes like soap and beer. There's spots where you might want to micro switch on and off burgeoning industries for artisans and engineers until those hit the critical mass to turn on high tax wants.

By the time you have engineer and investor wants, money is no object and influence is your limit instead so a full storage is often not a priority to fix. If you want to do double duty on a trade route slot you can use the setting to throw out all product that does not fit so you can do stuff like use Docklands for plantains or fried plantains, and ship them on the Old World-New World dead leg, dump extra, and pick up that much more rum or coffee.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah just set a minimum amount to keep in stock and then a trade route to sell it off. I generally just end up with internal trade routes dumping the excess in the water, but then I'm late game where the extra money doesn't matter. I typically set 50 stock minimum for an island that's producing a given good, several hundred if they're not. But you might actually be better off building a docklands there if you haven't already, and just set it to trade away all your excess for something you need more.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Depending on how far above demand your supply is you may be fine just dumping your entire inventory of coal to NPCs as internal storage should be able to cope with the time to refill from a warehouse as you build your surplus back up (before it disappears again). I’m less clear on consumer goods like the sewing machines though. You could just set it through the trading post to sell off anything above 20 or so and see if the NPCs that visit can keep you going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ahhhh, I thought the minimum storage amount would only apply to direct-from-warehouse sales for some reason. That makes everything so much easier :doh: