Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still can't find any base Pro or Pro Max models in my area and the soonest shipping time is November.

Is it normal for these phones to be unavailable for so long or is this a strong year for the iPhone?

They always push the dates out really far but eventually things get filled a lot faster.

If you are in the US the Apple stores get them every day you just need to check the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still can't find any base Pro or Pro Max models in my area and the soonest shipping time is November.

Is it normal for these phones to be unavailable for so long or is this a strong year for the iPhone?

Normal-ish plus it’s possible there was less overall inventory due to chip shortages caused by the pandemic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

No, that's fairly common. If you don't order within the first 12 or so hours, it can get pushed out to 6-8 weeks fairly quick.

If it had been a *huge* update (say like when the X was introduced), if you waited this long to order you might have been lucky to get it by Christmas.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I didn't order until the very last day to preorder and still got mine the next week. I don't think demand is unusually high this time around.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does the 13 fix the issue where when you take a picture using iMessage it takes a good 5 seconds to actually process it?

This is the dumbest most annoying thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Appreciate the recent new phone info friendos :love:

MarcusSA posted:

Does the 13 fix the issue where when you take a picture using iMessage it takes a good 5 seconds to actually process it?

This is the dumbest most annoying thing.

I just tried on my 8+ and it took like a second

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
After using an XS for three years and ending on sub 80% battery capacity, the 13 Pro is so good. Took it off charge at 8am Thursday and it still hasn’t died (10pm Friday) with moderately frequent use and some games. The XS would be plugged in by 8pm or earlier!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just tried on my 8+ and it took like a second

Wth
This is what it looks like on my 12 pro max

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/875116894728896536/896168980409106492/video0.mp4

It’s legit the slowest thing my phone does.

Turning off Live Photo does make it go faster but still not much.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MarcusSA posted:

Wth
This is what it looks like on my 12 pro max

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/875116894728896536/896168980409106492/video0.mp4

Yeah that’s a weird hang that it does huh

Maybe it’s something with the better photos on the newer phone vs my old phone processing the lower quality faster idk man

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Subliminal Ninja posted:

After using an XS for three years and ending on sub 80% battery capacity, the 13 Pro is so good. Took it off charge at 8am Thursday and it still hasn’t died (10pm Friday) with moderately frequent use and some games. The XS would be plugged in by 8pm or earlier!
my SE lasts like an hour or two off the charger with very light use. the 13 mini is gonna be a godsend

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I didn’t think the promotion display on the 13 pro was going to wow me since we already have an iPad Pro that has it but it was immediately noticeable compared to my X. I guess my brain was just used to 60Hz in this form factor

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Just sprung for the airpod pros, replacing launch year og airpods. Probably could’ve waited until Black Friday or announcing new ones, but if I get another 3 years out of these I’ll be happy. Spatial audio is wild.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
iOS 15 question that my Googling didn’t answer.

I’m cool with the address bar being at the bottom now but did they take away the ability to click the top of the page to jump to the top? It’s possible I’m just not doing it right but I figured someone would know. Thanks!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Jack Bandit posted:

I’m cool with the address bar being at the bottom now but did they take away the ability to click the top of the page to jump to the top? It’s possible I’m just not doing it right but I figured someone would know. Thanks!

Still works for me on my 12 pro max running 15.01

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Jack Bandit posted:

Works for me, tap the phone’s status bar e.g. the battery level/cell signal bars.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Looks like it was the site I was on because it seems fine everywhere else I test now. Thanks

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

How is your battery health? Does it show peak performance? Could be that the CPU/image processing cores are being throttled to not draw too much current from the battery. You likely wouldn't notice mild throttling except in cases where you do something intense, like encode a live image and then covert it to whatever format is used for SMS. Just a guess though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I forgot to take off the beta profile, and Public Beta 2 has some bizarre bug where Siri can't pronounce half the roads in my area when I'm using the GPS. South Federal Highway is now something like Sajoohah Federal Highway.

(She's never been able to say Florida right, which is a pain when you live in... Florida.)

Living in Florida is pain, so at least it's nothing new.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
so what's the deal with magsafe? i got a stand thing that uses it. am i good to just leave my phone on it all day, or is it going to do some bad battery poo poo constantly keeping it at 100%? i left it on for a while and it wasn't warm or anything like my x would get after being on the wireless charger for a while, so i dunno. i generally dont give a poo poo about battery health or whatever, but this is a bit different since it'll potentially be on the thing for like 10 hours a day

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You won’t see anything drastic for a few years. You’re ultimately fine, but you can check your battery health in Settings > Battery > Battery Health

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a recommended app for making my own Apple Wallet cards for services that don’t offer their own?

I’m using Wallet Creator but if I try to add a few info fields they just display on top of each other on the card itself so something with layout options and being able to define the size of the QR/barcode on the final card would be nice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a recommended app for making my own Apple Wallet cards for services that don’t offer their own?

I’m using Wallet Creator but if I try to add a few info fields they just display on top of each other on the card itself so something with layout options and being able to define the size of the QR/barcode on the final card would be nice.

Have you looked at Pass Source yet?

They have a free service and personal and professional paid tiers.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are Cyrill cases good? Might grab a few for our 13s since they’re a nice price. I think they’re related to Spigen and I always liked those a lot. How’s their faux leather?

e: oh yeah extra dumb new phone question. I’ve had the “upgrade yer drat icloud!!!”/“get more phone space!!!” Messages for a while now, just haven’t bothered to delete more photos/upgrade. When I do my phone to phone transfer will it transfer everything over for sure? I remember hearing that they give you a little extra cloud space or whatever for that but I want to be sure. I believe I have it set to offload some local photos onto the cloud but I haven’t checked that setting in forever.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 9, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are Cyrill cases good? Might grab a few for our 13s since they’re a nice price. I think they’re related to Spigen and I always liked those a lot. How’s their faux leather?

e: oh yeah extra dumb new phone question. I’ve had the “upgrade yer drat icloud!!!”/“get more phone space!!!” Messages for a while now, just haven’t bothered to delete more photos/upgrade. When I do my phone to phone transfer will it transfer everything over for sure? I remember hearing that they give you a little extra cloud space or whatever for that but I want to be sure. I believe I have it set to offload some local photos onto the cloud but I haven’t checked that setting in forever.

Your iCloud storage is separate from device- so a phone to phone will move everything over as long as you have the physical storage for it. Honestly is the best transfer option since it can move synced content and save you from having to re-sign into everything.

That said, back your poo poo up! If you don't wanna spend the 99 cents for iCloud+ (Which has more than storage benefits now) you can do it to your PC but eventually a phone is going to poo poo itself or get swiped.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ll check it out, thanks! The generic template can’t hold many variables but it might get me going til I find a more suitable app.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 9, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh wow, Find My now shows a live location instead of only updating every 60-seconds. Nice!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've been using Pass4Wallet, limited layout too though, but looks like it gives a lot more options at least. I'm thinking the code area might be standardized though from looking at the rest of my cards.

There's another one called Pass2U that seems to have more layouts and pre made ones and such...but the privacy policy looked a bit sketchy when I read it a while back.

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh neat, seems to work fine too. I used PassSlot before but seems more just for mass distribution pass use. Has a better layout preview but the overall setup is a bit convoluted if you just want to make single passes for yourself.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How are you guys using focus modes? I am completely unimaginative and can’t think of any use cases outside of sleep and work modes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

How are you guys using focus modes? I am completely unimaginative and can’t think of any use cases outside of sleep and work modes.

I use my phone as a webcam so whenever the webcam app is open, I use a mode to silence all notifications. So far that’s it but I’m sure there’s other good ones to be done.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m not using focus modes yet, it feels a bit much like janitoring my phone. Is there a how-to or something that shows the pros/cons?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Focus mode is neat in concept but honestly it’s just a more involved DND and it’s not super great. It’s more fiddling around than I’d like but more power to those who want to really break it down.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think it’s great.

I keep my phone in DND and now I can set specific apps to just…bypass that. And when I need specific apps to bypass (like right now, Twitterrific notifications from Wario64) I can add the app to the focus mode real quick.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I wish I could make unique home screens for each focus mode. As it stands, you can only choose which pages to show for each mode, which means that when it's off all those pages have to be shown.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

illcendiary posted:

I wish I could make unique home screens for each focus mode. As it stands, you can only choose which pages to show for each mode, which means that when it's off all those pages have to be shown.

Tap on the circle with the checkmark under the page.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I auto-use one for workouts. Only lets family messages and the daycare lady through. Going on a run and have the group chat explode is annoying as all hell.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
It’s been honestly the most impactful update I can remember. It definitely took time to set up, so now I have a bunch of “pages”, but really only see a few at a time. I also used widgets a lot to take up space even if it’s not super helpful. Here’s what I did:

Work Page - all my work apps. Geo location to start when I get to work and turn off when I leave.
School page- all my school apps. Set on a time function to start/end when class does.
Home page - does not show the two above, shows the most other pages. Geofenced to my house
Drive - sets when in motion
Workout- one page of music, and fitness app. Starts when I start a workout on my watch.

Really the only time I’m not in a focus is when I’m out and about in my time off, then I just use the search function to find whatever app I’m using. Not being tempted to check social when I’m in class, or check my work email when I’m at home, has helped me set better boundaries in my life.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Your iCloud storage is separate from device- so a phone to phone will move everything over as long as you have the physical storage for it. Honestly is the best transfer option since it can move synced content and save you from having to re-sign into everything.

That said, back your poo poo up! If you don't wanna spend the 99 cents for iCloud+ (Which has more than storage benefits now) you can do it to your PC but eventually a phone is going to poo poo itself or get swiped.

Thanks! I decided to celebrate new phone day by jumping up to the family shared 200gb plan. $3 vs the gf and I paying $1 each is worth it. I have 11,000 photos for some dumb reason so at least I’ll be able to backup everything now.

Now I just need to figure out how to force it to grab the remaining 2,000 photos it wasn’t uploading before. I already changed plans but it’s giving me the same “not enough iCloud storage”/ a cannot connect message when I click manage at the bottom of my photos. Maybe it will just take a little while. I did finally start my first backup since 2019 at least lol.

What’s the verdict on the Private Relay beta so far?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 10, 2021

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Tap on the circle with the checkmark under the page.

Right, but can it accommodate the following scenario? Let’s say I want Google Maps on my main home page and on a page for a travel focus mode, the latter of which would be the only page turned on for travel focus. I can’t add Google Maps to two separate pages right?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

illcendiary posted:

I can’t add Google Maps to two separate pages right?
I think you can now, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

fourwood posted:

I think you can now, actually.

Holy poo poo! Indeed you can. Seems like you have to add from the App Library so a little cumbersome but it works. My mistake for not actually trying that our, that’s really awesome.