Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

kemikalkadet posted:

Just got round to looking at this again. Did a another descale this time but more thoroughly, did a 3 hour descale with some new stuff with a hot boiler rather than running some random old delonghi stuff through in about 20 minutes. Set up a camera to film a shot pulling and it... pulled normally. It maybe started channelling earlier than it should but perfectly drinkable and no instant gushing. I'm still left with a really wet puck though so I think there might still be a problem with the solenoid. Here's a pic of the puck after pulling a shot and water flow when the boiler is up to shot temperature, flow seems fine.

https://i.imgur.com/J3OA5DO.mp4

You might be overfilling the basket and not getting the thing sealed all the way. I can see the dimple in the center from the screw on the head which usually means its overfilled, if its coming out around the portafilter you might not have the handle all the way over or have the basket in the grooves right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
how do ppl here feel about Bustelo?

I grabbed a brick at half price ($2.50) bc my Dominican mom reminded me of it

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 10, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keep it around for when your mom visits

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ok Comboomer posted:

There used to be a variant that was sold at aldi that came out really fantastic in a moka pot.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is that a robusto variant? Idk much at all about them except I had Cuban coffee once in Miami.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There used to be a variant that was sold at aldi that came out really fantastic in a moka pot.

Bustelo Especial, iirc, did a great job at Moka. A lot of folks I know who swear by Moka Pots are ride or die on Cafe Bustelo.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Bustelo + moka is my "I'm sick of looking at espresso machines idgaf just need morning juice" solution.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

qutius posted:

They roast some outstanding beans. Hope you enjoy them!

Just wanted to say thanks for this top recommendation. Great coffee and delivery.

Got the blend last time and now going to order something different.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Nthing the bustelo (we call it Cafe bust-a-move) + a moka pot is some of the best "poo poo coffee" you can make

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Isn't bustelo ground really fine for a moka pot? I mean, I know that's the combo of choice for like billions of people, it just seems like you'd get sludge to me

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You can get whole bean Bustelo but it's generally that all-purpose grind if you buy pre-ground. A moka will get enough push going that the coffee will be fine either way, in my experience, since I've used both ways.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I just eyeballed a zero-effort Bustelo pour in the V60 (two tbsp for a cup, next time I’ll probably do three). Filtered super quick, as would be expected with such a fine grind.

It’s not “high end” by any stretch but it’s a loving order of magnitude better than Dunkies, office coffee, etc. Holy poo poo what a night-and-day difference even for such a relatively minimal step.

It’s the “at least you made some effort” step, like how a $50 Craigslist receiver plus some garage-find speakers will blow p much any soundbar or Bluetooth speaker out of the water.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah it's pretty good, highlights how crap most fast food coffee is! Bustelowns

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Yeah it's pretty good, highlights how crap most fast food coffee is! Bustelowns

The Pilon packaging plant used to be less than an eighth of a mile from where I work. When the wind was out of the west, our parking lot smelled fantastic.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rancilio Silvia v3 from 2013 with a PID and a Baratza Sette 270 WI for $800.

Decent deal? He’ll sell the Silvia for $500 but it seems like a steal to get both for $800.

Just missed a Silvia v5 going for $300 yesterday.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

FWIW I've come to really hate my Baratza Sette 270wi, and not because of the noise.

The built in scale flat out lies to me during the grind. I've got to assume its just busted at this point. I *want* 19g of coffee. If I program just that, I get somewhere between 17.5g or 18.5g most of the time. So now I have weigh it all out on a separate scale and do a little follow up grind to top it off. I already bought a 500g calibration weight and re-calibrated it, but it hasn't helped. I need to just contact Baratza's support I guess before I give up on it and order a Niche.

Edit: Maybe its just that dumb rubber pad underneath making contact with the grind cup, because it seems mostly accurate when I do a manual grind and re-seat the grind cup. It very well could just be me being stupid. :shrug:

Bandire fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 11, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bandire posted:

FWIW I've come to really hate my Baratza Sette 270wi, and not because of the noise.

The built in scale flat out lies to me during the grind. I've got to assume its just busted at this point. I *want* 19g of coffee. If I program just that, I get somewhere between 17.5g or 18.5g most of the time. So now I have weigh it all out on a separate scale and do a little follow up grind to top it off. I already bought a 500g calibration weight and re-calibrated it, but it hasn't helped. I need to just contact Baratza's support I guess before I give up on it and order a Niche.

The noise is one reason I’m kinda against buying it. Right now I like my routine with the Robot and Kinu hand grinder in the morning. I haven’t made a great shot yet, but I can do it all without waking anyone up.

Is the 270 that loud?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Only when it's running; how many shots do you pull a day?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

A dumb phone app sound meter said it was about 85 decibels standing right in front of the grinder. Similar to a diesel truck and on the verge of the hearing damage range. Its definitely loud enough to wake anyone in the house. I don't mind it because its just me here and its only for about 15 seconds.

I have my old Capresso Infinity grinder out because I bought a Clever Dripper to play with. The Capresso is around 80 decibels. Keep in mind the decibel scale doubles every 3 decibels.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eh I just tried my virtuoso and it’s 83db.

Is there a quiet(er) espresso grinder? I only do 1-2 shots a day if it’s dialed in.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i just got 71 on the lagom p64 (ambient noise was about 36)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

A lot of what makes noise suck isn't the volume but the type of sound as well. 85db at a low steady perceived pitch might be more bearable than 83db all over the place.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

A lot of what makes noise suck isn't the volume but the type of sound as well. 85db at a low steady perceived pitch might be more bearable than 83db all over the place.

yeah the 270 is particularly egregious here, it’s high pitched and kind of nails-on-chalkboard-y in addition to being loud. the p64 is a very inoffensive low rumble in comparison.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

nwin posted:

Is there a quiet(er) espresso grinder? I only do 1-2 shots a day if it’s dialed in.

A quieter grind is one of the reasons I got a Niche. We recently moved into a tiny condo and I recently started having to go in very early to work. I needed something with a less obnoxious sound profile so I don't wake the kids at 5 am. It's a huge improvement in sound and grind quality over my old faithful Encore.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bruxism posted:

A quieter grind is one of the reasons I got a Niche. We recently moved into a tiny condo and I recently started having to go in very early to work. I needed something with a less obnoxious sound profile so I don't wake the kids at 5 am. It's a huge improvement in sound and grind quality over my old faithful Encore.

How do you like the Niche? They put up more stock today for December delivery, and my resolve is wavering.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Bandire posted:

How do you like the Niche? They put up more stock today for December delivery, and my resolve is wavering.

I really really like it. It feels like such an improvement over the Encore that I don't regret it. I am a bit embarrassed by how much it cost, but for how much it has improved my daily routine it's been worth it. Worth noting that I use it almost exclusively for my daily CCD pours and found that it serves great at the coarser setting. I pre-ordered as well to the US and it showed up right on time and with no hassle.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bruxism posted:

I really really like it. It feels like such an improvement over the Encore that I don't regret it. I am a bit embarrassed by how much it cost, but for how much it has improved my daily routine it's been worth it. Worth noting that I use it almost exclusively for my daily CCD pours and found that it serves great at the coarser setting. I pre-ordered as well to the US and it showed up right on time and with no hassle.

I’m gonna need you to revise this to a very bad review because I do not have wallet space for this right now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Barring hand grinders, are my options for espresso really either the Baratza settle 270 or niche zero if I want to stay under $700?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You also have the Specialita, which I think is slightly better than the 270. It's also significantly quieter.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The 270 is on the louder side, and if you have a partner and/or kids they will probably hear it. You always the option of grinding at night and storing in an airtight container until the morning.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nwin posted:

Barring hand grinders, are my options for espresso really either the Baratza settle 270 or niche zero if I want to stay under $700?

df64 is significantly cheaper and can be upgraded to multipurpose SSP burrs (so you basically have a less-pretty lagom p64) for a total cost of less than a niche and will be noticeably better if you're shooting for light roast, third wave espresso. hoffmann didn't like it though so it gets dismissed a lot

edit: sound-wise, i clocked this one time and it's like 80ish db according to whatever lovely app i was using -- it's not unpleasantly loud but not quiet or anything either

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 12, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nwin posted:

They'll make more of a racket if everything is not tightened down. There are 3 screws holding the motor burr assembly into rather cheap plastic, and that really could have been engineered better. They'll break off or strip sometimes. Or you can wait until you're :corsair: like me and the tinnitus and grinder noise blend into a pavlovian symphonic anticipation of a righteous morning shot. Or two.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
blessings to you, Coffee Thread, on this, your Page 420

Coffee is one of my favorite delivery methods for cannamilk

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m gonna need you to revise this to a very bad review because I do not have wallet space for this right now.

I have the opposite experience with the Niche for pour over. I have tried calibrating it numerous times for V60 pour over and it is simply abysmal for the levels that my 40:60 requires. I love the Niche for espresso so far but have kept my Virtuoso for V60 days.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Any advice for upping my Chemex game?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

Any advice for upping my Chemex game?

buy a v60

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Got two 50g packs of Geisha on the way, one from Costa Rica and the other one is washed and from Panama.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This is outside of the realm of this thread normally, but if you're near an Aldi they have a seasonal pre-ground coffee for Halloween called "Raven's Roast" that claims to be a medium roast single origin Ethiopian and it's actually pretty drat good. It's definitely a dark medium, but if you're looking for something to dump into the Mr. Coffee at work or whatever it's definitely one of the better pre-grounds I've tried.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I tried to descale my Gaggia classic last night but in the process I managed to screw it up even more, now the pump runs but it clearly isn't filling the boiler (no flow out of the grouphead or wand). I suspect that the cleaning dislodged some crud inside which has blocked something, I've pulled it apart to clean it before so I guess I'll have to do that again.

Still, it gave me a chance to use the Picopresso I got from Wacaco for a change, and I never cease to be immensely impressed by this thing. I swear I'm not getting any money from them, but I feel like I have to constantly plug it because it's been so much better than I expected.

I've tried portable espresso machines for camping before but the previous one I had used a pressurised portafilter, made lovely coffee and then broke after a few uses. When I saw that the Picropresso used a non-pressurised bottomless portafilter I got interested, it also seemed to be a lot better built than the previous one I had (albeit significantly heavier).

Very cool how all this poo poo nests into it like a Russian doll, it even comes with a little dosing funnel and tamper which is designed to prevent you from tamping too hard.

I use the same grind setting as I use in my Gaggia and it works just fine, although if you try to pack in too much coffee it will definitely choke up. I don't weigh my dose and just do it by eye, but I find that for my grind setting I get good results when there's some slight resistance to the tamper before it bottoms out on the funnel, but nothing like how firm I'd tamp for the Gaggia.

Super important to pre-heat and use boiling water, even then the shots end up slightly on the cold side. Also important to pump until the first signs of flow out of the portafilter and then let it pre-infuse for 10 seconds or so before continuing. I've got my grind and dose to the point where I'm just on the edge of activating the internal over-pressure valve which means that pumping takes a shitload of force. I'm a rock climber and I us both hands pushing the piston in like I'm hauling on a tiny crimp. The bottomless portafilter shows that I'm getting good flow across the whole puck and the espresso is to be honest better than I get from the Gaggia, huge crema, great flavour and body.

Clean-up is annoying but whatever. I have legitimately carried it on a hike along with a gas cooker and made people espressos in the middle of nowhere, so I can say that if you're keen on good coffee and also being outdoors it can absolutely work if you're willing to put in the effort. Since using it I've actually been considering getting a hand grinder and lever espresso machine because I only make coffee for myself and I really enjoy the manual aspect of using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone else get Sweet Maria's Popper? I figured it was time to upgrade from a literal popcorn popper to theirs and I'm still experimenting with settings