Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

TaurusOxford posted:

Looks like you need to head to Ghavoran and get your Super Missiles

How do I even get there? I know there's gotta be a teleportal or something but no idea where to look. I've only been able to get to the area with the Radar, and any way forward there is blocked by a morph ball tunnel with crumbling floor I can't cross and a red flower I can't destroy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Apparently 0% Item runs are possible? Somehow?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
collectible question

there’s a missile tank in Dairon hidden in a morph ball tunnel, behind one bomb block, four missile blocks, and a breakable floor. how do you collect this? because I’m drawing a blank unless there’s some kind of Spider Ball powerup

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PlasticAutomaton posted:

How do I even get there? I know there's gotta be a teleportal or something but no idea where to look. I've only been able to get to the area with the Radar, and any way forward there is blocked by a morph ball tunnel with crumbling floor I can't cross and a red flower I can't destroy.

Go to Burenia - you'll find a shuttle there.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/metroid-dread/Ferenia_-_Defeat_the_Boss#Return_to_Burenia

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 10, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

collectible question

there’s a missile tank in Dairon hidden in a morph ball tunnel, behind one bomb block, four missile blocks, and a breakable floor. how do you collect this? because I’m drawing a blank unless there’s some kind of Spider Ball powerup

you need an upgrade to your bombs that's capable of pushing you across those crumbling blocks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lets hang out posted:

you need an upgrade to your bombs that's capable of pushing you across those crumbling blocks

well drat. moving on then

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Apparently 0% Item runs are possible? Somehow?

Sounds cool to watch. I watched a Super speedrun the other day and it was just mesmerizing watching the dude wall jump all over the place and kill bosses before they can even do their first attack.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Sounds cool to watch. I watched a Super speedrun the other day and it was just mesmerizing watching the dude wall jump all over the place and kill bosses before they can even do their first attack.

you can watch it right now: https://www.twitch.tv/cscottyw

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I just caught up to the point where you're supposed to get Super Missiles and I'm not gonna lie I don't see any way to get from the place where they are to the place where you are without them lol

did you do a hell run through a hot/cold area at some point?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I got stuck on the final boss decided to go exploring to collect items and yeah the transversing around the different areas isn't that fun. Almost so I don't even want to "run" all the way back to fight the final boss. I think I'm going to ask someone to take me behind the shed and put me out of my misery as I didn't enjoy this game at all. I'm sure watching the speed runs will be fun.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Nope, you probably just missed a door in one of the EMMI areas (I've done this in every stage of the game now because I panic when the EMMI is around)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i know that shine sparks can be preserved through wall-jumping and launched from the morph ball state but i keep running into areas that give me juuuust too little space to build up a speed boost and it's driving me mad

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

i know that shine sparks can be preserved through wall-jumping and launched from the morph ball state but i keep running into areas that give me juuuust too little space to build up a speed boost and it's driving me mad

that's usually the indication that the boost is intended to be started from somewhere even further back, there's some weird ones

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

the map even shows all doors as what you need to open them unless you haven't got the tech yet, which appears as ???

just play and explore the map areas where there are doors/etc you have the tech to open that it shows you.

e: like when i got speedboost it showed all the areas I've been in that are now unlocked by the speedboost, so it was trivially easy to make my way to those areas to blast them open

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Holy poo poo you can flash jump in the air I am dumb.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Holy poo poo you can flash jump in the air I am dumb.

The fact that you got the radar before super missiles without knowing you can flash in the air makes me even more desperately curious what sequence of events you took after getting the grapple beam

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Oxyclean posted:

Im at item cleanup phase, and jeeze some of these speed booster puzzles kick my rear end.

I've been banging my head on one of these for like an hour and made it to the third screen of like 6 in the sequence
I just can't figure out how to activate it in the air instead of jumping - it seems like it does exactly the opposite of what I want it to do

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I've been banging my head on one of these for like an hour and made it to the third screen of like 6 in the sequence
I just can't figure out how to activate it in the air instead of jumping - it seems like it does exactly the opposite of what I want it to do

Press Jump and Fire at the same time while in the air. You can cancel out of Somersault jumps into a Shinespark mid-air this way.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Worth noting is you shouldn't need to do that for any of the puzzles, at most you'll need to activate it in mid air while falling off a ledge, without spinning

doing that does let you "alternately solve" some of them though

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Press Jump and Fire at the same time while in the air. You can cancel out of Somersault jumps into a Shinespark mid-air this way.

This just makes me fall without anything happening

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tapping L to free aim cancels your somersault. i had to use it in one place to run up a couple of slopes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This just makes me fall without anything happening

Better to think of it as pressing fire will bring you out of the spinning jump so you can shoot, and then from that state (standing up while in the air) you can start a shinespark. Sequentially it's pretty close to pressing both at the same time, but not exactly the same thing

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'm clearly missing something then because this has nothing to do with cancelling a spin jump. I'm falling and trying to activate a stored spark mid-air with what seems like incredibly tight timing on the storage, and I either fall to the ground and lose the charge, do a spin jump and lose the charge, or activate the spark and get to the next screen (where I proceed to gently caress it up further in the whole puzzle)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I'm clearly missing something then because this has nothing to do with cancelling a spin jump. I'm falling and trying to activate a stored spark mid-air with what seems like incredibly tight timing on the storage, and I either fall to the ground and lose the charge, do a spin jump and lose the charge, or activate the spark and get to the next screen (where I proceed to gently caress it up further in the whole puzzle)

"Activating a shinespark in midair" requires having no direction pressed on the joystick and not spinning. If you cancel your spin in midair and release the joystick entirely, the next tap of the jump button will activate the spark and allow you to choose a direction to execute it in.

That said, again, this shouldn't be necessary for any of the puzzles, so there are probably easier solutions to execute whatever one you're trying to solve. None of the actual solutions are that tight on spark storage duration and most of them you can fumble a bit and still execute successfully.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Just finished the events at Elun. Whoops Samus got baited into releasing a bunch of X parasites! And there's the EMMI reactivation I was waiting for.

On another note that missile expansion in the room before the tram to Elun where you have to pull open a grapple door and start a speed boost to get through before it closes and then make three jumps in a row was really hard, especially since you have to more or less do the first jump while the screen is still fading in during the transition.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

release the joystick entirely
Thank you

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The fact that you got the radar before super missiles without knowing you can flash in the air makes me even more desperately curious what sequence of events you took after getting the grapple beam

I got to the entrance to that sector, got stumped by the flash, and then left and started trying to clean up every grapple point I could find on the map, stumbled into the teleporter and then got the radar. Felt really good, then got completely and utterly stumped as I wandered around the first three sectors like a moron collecting missile packs, E-Tanks, and even finding a power bomb before I realized that I was missing something completely obvious.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I got to the entrance to that sector, got stumped by the flash, and then left and started trying to clean up every grapple point I could find on the map, stumbled into the teleporter and then got the radar. Felt really good, then got completely and utterly stumped as I wandered around the first three sectors like a moron collecting missile packs, E-Tanks, and even finding a power bomb before I realized that I was missing something completely obvious.

Genuine Metroid Experience

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this game rules. it's so fast and sleek

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mistermojo posted:

this game rules. it's so fast and sleek

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn this game is so loving cool. The EMMI rooms are really fun trying to figure out and I have only once felt frustrated that I couldn't figure out where to go. It holds your hand without making it obvious and I love that. I just got to the 3rd biome and can't wait to see where things go.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Okay where the gently caress do you go after getting the Space Jump, this is driving me nuts. Feels like I've been everywhere and the only places left on the map involve either cold zones or Power Bombs.

EDIT: Did manage to find a few Power Bomb tanks without having Power Bombs, that's pretty cool :madmax:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Okay where the gently caress do you go after getting the Space Jump, this is driving me nuts. Feels like I've been everywhere and the only places left on the map involve either cold zones or Power Bombs.

EDIT: Did manage to find a few Power Bomb tanks without having Power Bombs, that's pretty cool :madmax:

check all the doors in your map, they show spots you can unlock and others as ??? if you don't have the tech yet. Don't see any? run to a teleporter for another zone if you can and do the same there. Still nothing? You just haven't explored enough, look for areas on the map not explored yet

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can zoom in on the map and it will show you more details like describing stuff

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

euphronius posted:

You can zoom in on the map and it will show you more details like describing stuff

lmao yeah, unlike jumping

Sorry I just saw your avatar and lost it

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Barreft posted:

check all the doors in your map, they show spots you can unlock and others as ??? if you don't have the tech yet. Don't see any? run to a teleporter for another zone if you can and do the same there. Still nothing? You just haven't explored enough, look for areas on the map not explored yet
Predictably I figured it out about five minutes after whining about it on the internet :ughh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cripes, the last boss is so incredibly unforgiving. I'm feeling kinda discouraged. Im kind of surprised there's no checkpoints (So far?)Is ther e any way to get damage in when he's gold? Or am I relying entirely on parries for that part?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Cripes, the last boss is so incredibly unforgiving. I'm feeling kinda discouraged. Im kind of surprised there's no checkpoints (So far?)Is ther e any way to get damage in when he's gold? Or am I relying entirely on parries for that part?

Yeah you have to parry him to knock off his Lightning Armor, during the cut scenes that follow you are free to blast him as much as you can mash out. That said, apparently shooting at him will force him to go for melee attacks more often to keep that in mind

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oxyclean posted:

His first phase doesn't actually have all that much HP. Once he goes gold he's invulnerable and you need to use melee counters to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beat Kraid and that run from getting the Morph Ball to the boss intro cutscene has turned me 100% on the game. Like you showed you're settled in and the game starts throwing all the toys at you to play with.