Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm kind of surprised everyone is saying the underwater boss is so bad, as soon as you see the how to move the platform faster it is a breeze

Now, the person before it, the duel with the armored guy sucked rear end ten times harder with its length and hard to avoid, high damage attacks. Imagine my joy when it turns out to be a recurring boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm kind of surprised everyone is saying the underwater boss is so bad, as soon as you see the how to move the platform faster it is a breeze

Now, the person before it, the duel with the armored guy sucked rear end ten times harder with its length and hard to avoid, high damage attacks. Imagine my joy when it turns out to be a recurring boss

Note you can just shoot him, no need for missiles or charge beam.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Okay where the gently caress do you go after getting the Space Jump, this is driving me nuts. Feels like I've been everywhere and the only places left on the map involve either cold zones or Power Bombs.

You're gonna laugh but about 10 feet from the Ferenia tram in Ghavoran is an underwater jump you can make with the space jump to the green teleporter, right above where you got the Spin Boost

e:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Predictably I figured it out about five minutes after whining about it on the internet :ughh:

nvm lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay i really need help, the last couple upgrades i got were the storm missles and space jump and i just spent an hour and a half trying to figure out where to go next and every door in all the previous worlds i've tried have been "extra" rooms with nothing but missile upgrades, and a couple with super bomb upgrades which i still can't use because i haven't found it yet. please please someone tell me where to go next

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
enjoying this a lot so far but every once in a while an EMMI decides "patrolling? eat poo poo I'm going to walk the same path, right next to you, ten times"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

site posted:

okay i really need help, the last couple upgrades i got were the storm missles and space jump and i just spent an hour and a half trying to figure out where to go next and every door in all the previous worlds i've tried have been "extra" rooms with nothing but missile upgrades, and a couple with super bomb upgrades which i still can't use because i haven't found it yet. please please someone tell me where to go next

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You're gonna laugh but about 10 feet from the Ferenia tram in Ghavoran is an underwater jump you can make with the space jump to the green teleporter, right above where you got the Spin Boost

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The Buremia boss fight. No one asked for an underwater boss fight with no gravity suit.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Experiment No. Z-57 is a fine boss mechanically, but goddamn you could cut his health in half and still have a solid, challenging boss fight.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Malloc Voidstar posted:

enjoying this a lot so far but every once in a while an EMMI decides "patrolling? eat poo poo I'm going to walk the same path, right next to you, ten times"

Stealth Cloak is really a trap most of the time, it's better to just run and don't stop in almost every situation

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
lol what are/were people doing in the final boss fight to actually damage him through the armor at all? I just dodged everything until he did his full-floor dash, countered it three times, on to phase two.
I was definitely mashing him with missiles/charge shots/power bombs at first to see what worked before I gave up and just always-countered.

Mostly just curious if I was doing things the hard way or the easy way by comparison.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

well i am many things right now but laughing isn't one of them

regardless thank you so much i was going fuckin bananas over this

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nikumatic posted:

lol what are/were people doing in the final boss fight to actually damage him through the armor at all? I just dodged everything until he did his full-floor dash, countered it three times, on to phase two.
I was definitely mashing him with missiles/charge shots/power bombs at first to see what worked before I gave up and just always-countered.

Mostly just curious if I was doing things the hard way or the easy way by comparison.

Yeah, you can just counter-attack him in the cutscenes. I've even seen him go to phase 2 after two parries

Edit: Sorry, attacking his shield armor does make him do a screen-clear attack that you have to duck under that causes an parry cutscene, but it's still just as easy to wait for two screen dashes and save your wrists from mashing.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 10, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Stealth Cloak is really a trap most of the time, it's better to just run and don't stop in almost every situation

Cloak can be useful if you use it to start or keep moving without making noise, but trying to hide out is a trap yeah. Most times you'll be way better off trying to book it no matter what rather than waiting for an opening. In the later sections I feel like that's nigh impossible since the EMMI will just stay and keep passing over the morphball holes.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Got the game today and just got to the red teleporter between Artaria and Cataris. Really enjoying it so far but I did spend a good half hour trying to find where to go next after beating the first major boss only to find out progress was literally shooting through hidden blocks next to the Cataris elevator. Probably wouldn't have guessed that for a while, not exactly an intuitive position.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the main phases of the final boss but the middle section was just attritional and too long, though someone will probably find all the openings to get damage in that I missed.

z-57 best boss

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Note you can just shoot him, no need for missiles or charge beam.

The same is true for the second phase of kraid iirc if you're having issues aiming missiles and dodging his spine things at the same time

Mind over Matter posted:

Experiment No. Z-57 is a fine boss mechanically, but goddamn you could cut his health in half and still have a solid, challenging boss fight.

I think the phase where you're very encouraged to use the multi lockon is a healing phase. I don't remember him taking that long though I was flashing red when I killed him because I sucked at the Flappy Bird attack.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 10, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked the main phases of the final boss but the middle section was just attritional and too long, though someone will probably find all the openings to get damage in that I missed.

z-57 best boss

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the 360 spin arm poo poo that you just have to dodge the entire time

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

what's the real trap is thinking that you have to sit in a corner with the cloak on instead of using it actively while moving to avoid detection and bypass the emmi when it comes close

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I am clearly on a different wavelength than other people in the thread. I hated almost every boss, including the final boss. A thing I really hate about boss design is phases where the boss is invincible and you just have to dodge poo poo for a while until an opportunity opens up. If you're not in an advantageous position at that point and don't do enough damage or otherwise exploit the opportunity, you have to do the phase mechanics all over again until it loops around. This happens a lot in this game, and it was a problem in Samus Returns as well.

What I did like was the recurring bosses which are straightforward for the most part where I usually felt like I was accomplishing something by attacking while dodging their attacks, though they were still a little overtuned and went a little long. A monster spitting goop on you shouldn't do two energy tanks' worth of damage IMO.

I finished the game at 7 hours and change with only 34% of items. Going back and clearing out all the items has been shockingly painless, and I've stumbled my way into most of them without a huge amount of scouring for them. I'm also surprised to find that I've been able to do all the speed booster puzzles so far without too much trouble. Not zero trouble, of course, but I can get that one in the cold area in Dairon, I think, that requires like five or six wall jumps more easily than I can get out of the wall jump pit in Super Metroid.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That final boss is no joke. I can finish the first phrase now with full health, and I’ve finally mostly figured out the second phase. But that third one is absolutely brutal. I’ve only gotten to it twice now, so hopefully it clicks when I get back to it tomorrow.

The bosses in Dread really remind me of Hollow Knight. You’ve really got to learn their patterns and take the right opportunities to attack. I’m amazed that Nintendo went this difficult. I don’t think there was a single boss I beat on my first try. Z57 was one of the hardest bosses I’ve beaten in any video game, just due to the vast amount of HP it has.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MokBa posted:

That final boss is no joke. I can finish the first phrase now with full health, and I’ve finally mostly figured out the second phase. But that third one is absolutely brutal. I’ve only gotten to it twice now, so hopefully it clicks when I get back to it tomorrow.

The bosses in Dread really remind me of Hollow Knight. You’ve really got to learn their patterns and take the right opportunities to attack. I’m amazed that Nintendo went this difficult. I don’t think there was a single boss I beat on my first try. Z57 was one of the hardest bosses I’ve beaten in any video game, just due to the vast amount of HP it has.

Something that helps is that when he uses his big sun attack, you can drop a Power Bomb to instantly break it and give you some drops.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BisbyWorl posted:

Something that helps is that when he uses his big sun attack, you can drop a Power Bomb to instantly break it and give you some drops.

loving hell lmao

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

BisbyWorl posted:

Well poo poo that helps tremendously because that was giving me the most trouble of anything.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

loving hell lmao

you can also one shot the black hole attack from Phase 1 with a power bomb, although I find shooting that with 3 missiles actually easier

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Got the final boss down, 100% items. Good game, worthy successor to Fusion / the 2D Series.

I feel a little mixed on the boss design, I played the Return of Samus and I recall it having similar vibes - bosses can get frustrating - it sometimes feels like the game is slapping the controller out of my hand and going "no, parry!" - But when you get the flow and learn the boss, it can feel pretty satisfying, and there are certainly bosses I can see where parries just speed up the fight (sometimes dramatically.)

I definitely feel like there was times I just forgot to use tools the game had given me - The dash was something I forgot about in combat a lot - you get a double robot fight shortly after getting powerbombs, and I didn't think to use the power bombs until after pumping a ton of shots into them, but I think it would have been far easier had I used them more/from the get go.

Of all things, the last version of the reoccurring fight is probably what gave me the most trouble? It just did a lot of damage and I wasn't if I was supposed to have a proper parry opportunity, so my mistakes added up super fast.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Of all things, the last version of the reoccurring fight is probably what gave me the most trouble? It just did a lot of damage and I wasn't if I was supposed to have a proper parry opportunity, so my mistakes added up super fast.
you mean the shield guy? they actually go super tricky for this one, he has a counter window but unlike all the other ones it's not when he rushes you, you have to dash melee into him. then that doesn't even actually do anything but exposes his shield for a moment and you have to realize the fact that it becomes blue means you can grapple it to rip it out of his hands

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Amppelix posted:

you mean the shield guy? they actually go super tricky for this one, he has a counter window but unlike all the other ones it's not when he rushes you, you have to dash melee into him. then that doesn't even actually do anything but exposes his shield for a moment and you have to realize the fact that it becomes blue means you can grapple it to rip it out of his hands

So I managed to figure out the dash-and-melee, but it wasn't until I was making that post that I realized that maybe I should have tried to grapple beam lol. But I also wasn't clear if the second phase when its in like "feral X mode" if its 'supposed to have parry windows, since that part usually gave me more trouble.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Holy poo poo lmao (link has spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-GMo_farJc

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The speedruns for this game are going to be absolutely nutty let me tell you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I tried to do that but couldn't time it right. Maybe because I tried going up instead of sideways.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I got my Dread a day after everyone, so I'm not going to look through the thread yet as I'm afraid of spoilers.

Some thoughts right after Plasma Beam:

So far, the game is really cool. I really like the environments, and the maps seem gigantic. EMMI is definitely going to spark a lot of discussions for years to come. I can see how some might love it, but I lean in the other direction.

I feel like the bits of the map with EMMI are a bit too sterile and become empty once you destroy it, which doesn't even make much sense lore-wise, as they are research robots and should be able to go anywhere. As of now, they seem more like guardians of a certain area. I also feel like it's easier to just get it to follow you and outrun it rather than hide, which kinda negates the whole Dread feeling.

Also lmao at the line" they are made out of the strongest stuff". Who wrote that? Did a 5-year-old design them? Just say "some of the strongest materials" or maybe even namedrop Bendezium or whatever. Would be cool to get a nod to Prime and maybe have ADAM be like "Power Bombs here are an older model and are a bit less destructive". I don't actually know if Power Bombs are in the game, and if they aren't, that would just be a cooler reference.

ADAM in general is useless, as always. Some exposition from him was neat, but mostly he just repeats stuff that you will discover naturally or see in cutscenes. And sure, it's not a big deal as they were in like every game, but come on, don't spoil me future items.

The cutscenes are good! Samus is a badass, and I really liked the pre-plasma Chozo encounter. Neat how she talked to the bird! Some environmental spooks are super cool. The first boss foreshadowing, something banging on the doors, the whole X parasite sequence are neat!

The music is a bit on the eh side so far, but much like with gameplay, I feel like it requires some replays for it to stick.

Actual question: I'm not into the speedrunning scene, but is it possible to sequence break? I found some missiles early thanks to the bomb jumping, but I wonder if it would be possible to get something.

Edit: I hope there's no Ridley.
The dude died in Metroid 1, Remake of 2, 3, was rebuilt and subsequently killed THREE times in Prime (I count him falling down the largest hole in the universe as a death), had a robot of him destroyed, got his corpse smashed to bits, and was killed as a copy-zombie.
While I wish for a more cinematic end for the dude than the icy body being shattered for seemingly no reason, it would never feel impactful since it would just signal that he can come back from anything

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 10, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game had me wanting to chuck my controller across the room with how stupid the controls are, but then over the course of 15 minutes I get wide shot, morph ball and the hazard suit and all of a sudden it's fun to play. Then 5 minutes later I run into Kraid lol.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Going steady so I wouldn't run into spoilers, I've gotten 100% of items and cleared in 11:23:15.

Game is very good. But I do have some gripes.

- I really wish they'd chosen a more noticeable "you took damage" sound. A quiet metallic clunk is hard to discern in an environment full of metallic clunks, and I've taken surprise deaths because I didn't realize I was down to one E-Tank.
- I'm a bit lukewarm on the E.M.M.I. sequences. They're only frightening the first few times, but with their instagib mechanic and the generous checkpoints after they kill you, they quickly just become a momentary annoyance. They maybe should've just done huge damage similar to the SA-X.
- Samus' movement is the smoothest it's ever been, but the mechanics of the Speed Booster are the same unidentifiable voodoo as always. I was convinced you couldn't execute a Shinespark in mid-air and drew a blank on some puzzles as a result, only to discover it was possible by complete accident during a Space Jump when I was just trying to shoot (which also means the Shinespark is now on the Shoot button instead of the Jump button in that case). It doesn't help that the Speed Booster puzzles are awfully strict this time around.
- gently caress the Chozo Drones in particular. They did not need to show up in pairs. Did I miss something that makes these jerks easier other than the one melee counter opportunity?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

- gently caress the Chozo Drones in particular. They did not need to show up in pairs. Did I miss something that makes these jerks easier other than the one melee counter opportunity?

Kinda, Storm Missiles tears them a new rear end in a top hat if you get the timing right

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SL the Pyro posted:

Storm Missiles shred them, and it'll lock on if the beam passes over them for just a second, so you can hold R and focus on dodging.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

- Samus' movement is the smoothest it's ever been, but the mechanics of the Speed Booster are the same unidentifiable voodoo as always. I was convinced you couldn't execute a Shinespark in mid-air and drew a blank on some puzzles as a result, only to discover it was possible by complete accident during a Space Jump when I was just trying to shoot (which also means the Shinespark is now on the Shoot button instead of the Jump button in that case). It doesn't help that the Speed Booster puzzles are awfully strict this time around.

Regarding this move, it works pretty much the same as it has since Fusion, initial button press to start the speed booster aside. Shinepark can only be used if you're not spin jumping, and you activate it by pressing jump in the air while holding no directions, then after the freeze, you aim it. I think they made it so you have to press Jump again even if you jump neutrally, but the key thing is that you have to release the stick while pressing jump to activate it. The shooting thing is because shooting is one of the ways to stop a spin jump.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Just Andi Now posted:

Regarding this move, it works pretty much the same as it has since Fusion, initial button press to start the speed booster aside. Shinepark can only be used if you're not spin jumping, and you activate it by pressing jump in the air while holding no directions, then after the freeze, you aim it. I think they made it so you have to press Jump again even if you jump neutrally, but the key thing is that you have to release the stick while pressing jump to activate it. The shooting thing is because shooting is one of the ways to stop a spin jump.

Well, that explains why the way I did it was so janky. How I ended up triggering mid-air Shinesparks was Space Jumping and then immediately pressing Shoot -- this, for whatever reason, would initiate the Shinespark with no wind-up in the direction I was holding. It didn't work every time, but it was good enough that I cleared all of the Shinespark puzzles.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lmao

It's almost too bad there's video and you don't get the situation anymore where nobody believes the kid who swears on the Bible that there's a hidden way to beat Draygon by electrocution

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I like how some of the speedboost puzzles rely on super precise timing to activate shine spark at the end, but then other ones are just "fling samus around the map like a demented pinball"
https://i.imgur.com/QwQGvpR.mp4
(I tried carrying a shine spark through the bombs like twenty times before giving up and trying to do it from the bottom instead. Because that's apparently an option too..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
At a loss here. Where do you go after getting grapple beam? I've been everywhere I can conceivably reach.