Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is there any loving company who doesn't use child or slave labor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's something I'm struggling with in a few ways, both my own ethics and my not being a whacko. Yeah, there's pretty much no ethical consumption under capitalism, but I try to do the best I can to source sustainably derived, not owned by pure evil products. But even then, probably some of the things in those products are compromised in some way. Or I find out later that they were bought out.

The "not a whacko" part comes in with hooooly crap is it hard to find a sustainably sourced, as ethically okay to me as I can get toothpaste that isn't also fluoride free and alternative medicine out the rear end.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cowslips Warren posted:

DUKE CANNON

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I just got back from the Faroe Islands and it was a lovely place filled with lovely people, so now there's YET ANOTHER wonderful place abroad that is on my big rear end "must revisit" list.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Supposedly Costco vets their products for slave-labor and other ethical qualms and straight up drops a company and its products if it turns out the company is doing dirty; but that's what they say right, and they require membership to shop there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm gifting my Wii to a friend and while gathering all the accessories together I thought "finally I'll get rid of that stupid Mario Kart steering wheel". I still need the Wiimote so I ordered another one used and it came with a note saying "we're passing on some stuff to you the previous owner sent us along with the Wiimote unbidden, free of charge" and another Mario Kart steering wheel.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I'm getting a heavy bag for my home gym and I got a very sturdy swivel to hang it (along with new gloves and wraps), but the only place I found the one I was looking for was through a reseller on Amazon and the shipping is taking a lot longer than expected, so I bought something similar with next-day Prime shipping, but despite having an overall 4.5 rating, like half of the more recent reviews are about it breaking under a 100lbs load, so now I have to decide if I want to wait for the sturdier one but having nothing to punch for a few days/weeks (and having a heavy bag slumped in a corner, taunting me) or risk it with the flimsier one and installing the bag right away.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Got married and now we have too many bottles of champagne.

I don't even like the stuff that much!

I also got a new monitor and the resolution is nuts and it's gonna take a goo while to adjust.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

frogge posted:

Supposedly Costco vets their products for slave-labor and other ethical qualms and straight up drops a company and its products if it turns out the company is doing dirty; but that's what they say right, and they require membership to shop there.

Costco has all kinds of signs up saying you need to wear masks, but it's never enforced.

They also check your membership card, not just when you enter, but when you go to pay. And then your receipt when you leave.

They trust you enough to wear a mask if you aren't vaccinated, but don't trust you not to steal poo poo.

FWP: I told my boss I can start staying later with our busy season coming up, and I am dreading how insane it is going to be.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

As I try to pin down whatever food I am clearly intolerant towards I am coming to the dooming realization it is quite possibly celiac.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inzombiac posted:

I also got a new monitor and the resolution is nuts and it's gonna take a goo while to adjust.

make bellinis or mimosas

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The forums have taught me what horrible places Goodwill and the salvation army are. I mean, a basic Google search would have done the same thing, but I shudder to think at how much stuff I donated to both of those places in years past. With the Christmas season coming up, I usually donate toys to a few children's organizations, and I definitely need to look into those to make sure ones like the Toys for tots aren't garbage.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

The forums have taught me what horrible places Goodwill and the salvation army are. I mean, a basic Google search would have done the same thing, but I shudder to think at how much stuff I donated to both of those places in years past. With the Christmas season coming up, I usually donate toys to a few children's organizations, and I definitely need to look into those to make sure ones like the Toys for tots aren't garbage.

Toys for Tots is legit. Specifically the Marine Corps Reserve one, though. I don't know about any of the others who use the name.

ETA: Like one really cool thing they've been doing just...quietly without really tooting their own horn besides making it known on their website is distributing toys to children on participating reservations through their Native American Program, and actively supporting the Navajo Nation's literacy program.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Oct 18, 2021

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Dropped my car off for service, it won't be ready until I'm at work and can't leave, and they'll be closed once I'm off work. I need a Lyft to get home tonight and another tomorrow to get me back here.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s worth a shot to ask if they can drop your car off for you. If it’s not too far a drive it shouldn’t be a problem.

If you’re going to have to pay for two rides, you can even offer them $20-$30 to drop it for you, if need be.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
It’s sunny outside and it looks so pretty and autumnal and I want to go for a walk, but it’s also windy as poo poo :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One of my friends is working for himself, and is doing great, and is super busy. So I don't see him much anymore.

Another friend just got a great job with amazing benefits, and she probably won't have her house taken back by the bank now, and her kid is doing great (not sure about her marriage but that has been rocky from the start), but I haven't had much time to really chat with her either.

It just sucks because I used to talk with the first friend every day at work, like for hours, and the second, every night for at least two hours, online gaming and all. Then Covid hit, the first friend left the workplace to DoorDash and now works as a handyman. Second friend lost her job, went to a temp agency, bounced about a bit, close to filing bankruptcy, and finally got her new job. So it's great for them both, I just miss what we had. And I don't think it will be coming back, with the first friend working 6 days a week, and the second one's baby now a toddler.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is it a good painting at least?
It's a first series print of https://www.ridakahlo.org/self-portrait-in-a-velvet-dress.jspSelf Portrait in a Velvet Dress[/url], so I'm going to go with yes. I need to find a good local place for framing and preserving old art (I also need to find a place that can frame my grandfather's naval tactical maps from WWII and a couple of space age photos). My cousin's wife is a professional artist and the biggest fan of Frida Kahlo I've ever met, they're both huge fans of all sorts of classic art, and I might give it to them in a couple of years for their 10th anniversary.

Inzombiac posted:

Congratulations! If nothing else, you don't have to think very hard about what you're bringing to parties for the next few years.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have decided to start eating better, cutting out chips and poo poo, and my body responds by not being hungry in the morning and going on strike with constipation. It wants its jalapeno chips.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The light in my bathroom burnt out a few days ago (I forgot to buy a new tube when I went to the store), but my brain adamantly refuses to retain this information, so every time I go to take a leak, I hit the light switch when stepping in and close the door behind me and end up standing there in the darkness feeling like an idiot.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My previous job finally noticed two months later and took away my "employee" discount. Considering it's a grocery store, their gently caress up was helpful, and getting one over on them after the fuckery that lead to me quitting was fun.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sometimes I get super bummed that I always miss the good internet scams/schemes. By the time I've heard of them it's too late to get aboard as anything but the mark

I feel like if I just stuck my head in insufferable internet spaces and kept it there I could get in on whatever get rich nonsense pops up next, but the fact is my life is too comfortable and enjoyable that subjecting myself to that kind of torture is not an option

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got my covid booster shot today. The guy who actually gave me the injection wore a mask. But all of the pharmacist and pharm technicians either had their masks on their chin, or hanging off their ears while they were taking orders or laughing with each other.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All those people are loving so I'm not sure a mask would actually help

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've actually been trying to score a PS5 for the last two big restocks and even with the new Halo Xbox, poo poo is impossible to get.

I don't NEED a ps5 or a new xbox but it is annoying how bots run wild and grab em all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You'll know when I get a magic lamp when there's a news report about a gorillion scalpers' computers spontaneously melting into molten plastic and metal.

Wish#2 will be to give them all treatment-resistant hemorrhoids.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I agreed to house and pet sit for my friend, not realizing it wasn't going to be just a weekend, but 11 loving days when I am at mandatory overtime at work.

He has one super old and piss-the-floor dog, and some outside animals that will need to be brought in every night because it's so drat cold. He has been working at home since Covid, so his dog is super attached and freaks the gently caress out whenever he leaves, so she is going to be a mess. She also pisses everywhere, but he is leery of getting puppy pads, instead wanting to use towels.

He complains that he feels bad about this, but I want to shake him and say, rear end in a top hat, when you have pets, you plan your vacations AROUND them. As in, if your dog can't go to a kennel and is gonna piss herself stupid when you go to the grocery store, you stay the gently caress home!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Okay, so further testing of "What is making my digestive life miserable?" has somewhat pointed away from gluten (it is still a possibility), and instead towards soy, with symptoms pointing more towards an allergy rather than an intolerance. As a vegan who likes a veggie dog every now and then, either of these is a problem! Thankfully I got my 2022 schedule the other day (my schedule is the same every two week period), so I can easily make a doctor appointment (they had nothing open until February at the earliest) to try and figure out what the hell is going on before my clearly worsening symptoms lead to me snapping a femur or going all anaphylactic on the floor or some poo poo.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Trying to find somewhere to live I can afford is Not Easy in this city

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Trying to get estimates to fill in my pool. Fill dirt isnt cheap. And all the poo poo that comes with breaking down walls.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

My stupid banking app sends me personalized cash back offers for credit purchases, but only after I already bought the thing.

Like I buy a grill and then two weeks later I'll get a notification "8% CASH BACK ON WEBER GENESIS FOUR BURNER GRILL"

Yeah thanks that would have been helpful before I bought the thing good job

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
One of the local theaters does private screenings and it's fairly cheap, considering. Only problem is fairly cheap considering is still more than I can comfortably pay.

Guess it's a bucket list item.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is it a boomer thing or a Cowslips' mom thing where she will announce she is going to bed...and then spend the next 15 minutes yammering on about all the poo poo she saw on Facebook today, did I see this video, did I see this post, and the entire time I can only wonder about the times I was a young kid and kept trying to get out of going to bed by asking questions: it worked once. And then I was told to go to bed or get grounded.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's been stinking hot here the past few days, so I made sure to set the timer for the drip system that keeps the birdbath full.

Looked out there today and there's a dead crow in it. Been marinating for maybe three days in the summer heat and the bird bath is now a guts and maggot soup, kept topped up every night by my watering system.

I have to clean it all up tomorrow, but I really don't want to.

I really cannot stress enough how much I don't want to.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dump a bag of cheap kitty litter on it first, or spend a few more bucks and get some vomit absorbent for it

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I have no idea what to get my 2 month old nephew for Christmas.

All the practical, actually-for-the-parents gift ideas are taken.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Manager Hoyden posted:

Dump a bag of cheap kitty litter on it first, or spend a few more bucks and get some vomit absorbent for it

That's a good idea, thanks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is it a boomer thing or a Cowslips' mom thing where she will announce she is going to bed...and then spend the next 15 minutes yammering on about all the poo poo she saw on Facebook today, did I see this video, did I see this post, and the entire time I can only wonder about the times I was a young kid and kept trying to get out of going to bed by asking questions: it worked once. And then I was told to go to bed or get grounded.

Yes, and I'm going to gently caress with you a teeny bit here.

[Reddit post from memory]

"My mom walks in my room at night and strokes my hair and my cheek. Is she planning to kill me?!"

"No. She loves you, idiot."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

You can never have enough baby clothes. Get some a few months sized up, like 6-9 month old.

Or a Costco box of baby wipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dr Christmas posted:

Drum set.