Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hold up let’s see a picture of this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks Slavvy.

Another Slavvy success story.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wow...how many times did I take that stupid thing apart. I dropped back to one spring and found the magic spot, I had underestimated how much force it took to actuate. I could barely get it to move with only one spring and vice grips on the arm, there's no way I could have managed with two. Reinstalled the second, put it back in the magic spot and messed with the cable for a bit to take out most of the slack. It worked! Think I'll make another cable and I'd still like to redesign the holding mechanism on the pedal.

Thanks Slavvy.

You're welcome now how about

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

let’s see a picture of this thing

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lazy quote from post your ride thread in AI

NitroSpazzz posted:

Long overdue :effort: post on the Locost I picked up a couple weeks ago. To start things off this car is what's referred to as a Locost which is a low cost version of the Lotus/Caterham 7 cars built using the guidelines put together in Ron Champion's book "Build Your Own Sports Car For As Little As 250". The book goes over donor vehicles, building the frame, wiring and more recent editions have a section on racing them. I had looked into building one years ago but knowing how bad I am at big long term projects I didn't.

This car has what is referred to as a "Book Chassis" in that the dimensions are those given in the book. There's several versions of the plans out there to suit larger drivers, engines or anything else. The whole point of these cars is build light so you don't need a big engine, the frame itself usually comes in at around 75lb when completed. Triangulation and the aluminum skin give it most of it's strength. Many parts, especially more modern built ones, for these come from Miatas. Mine has Miata hubs, lsd, radiator, axles (shortened), brakes and a bunch of other parts.

So the car...

In an effort to make things as light as possible the builder of mine (I'm the third owner) went with a sportbike engine. Miata engine builds usually end up somewhere in the 1300-1500lb range, bike engine builds are usually closer to 1000. Mine with a 3/4 tank of fuel and me not in it weighed in at 1091lb the other day. Not to bad for having ~150hp. Weight will go up a bit as I'll be adding a cage for track use.

The engine fits pretty well and as a bonus you get the nice sequential motorcycle transmission. To keep weight low this thing is chain drive all the way to the rear. There's two very beefy chains, each running half way, and a jack shaft in the middle. A modified miata limited slip differential is at the rear driving shortened miata axles. Reverse is handled by a second starter motor that engages the chain. The power as you'd expect is ridiculous yet if you keep the rpms low it drives in traffic just fine.

One drastic change from the book plans is inboard suspension using motorcycle shocks and some really nice custom pieces. Rest of the suspension is home made but fairly standard for the build. Brakes are Miata as are the hubs. Appears at one point there was a parking brake fitted, I haven't been under it much yet but I'd like to see why that isn't working. The car is amazingly planted but I really need to get it on track to see what it's capable of.

The cockpit is tight and minimalistic...the radio is completely pointless and is going away when I redo the dash. I want a data logging dash and warning lights Pedal box isn't as tight as some old 911's I've driven and the motorcycle clutch feels like any other car clutch. Pedal box currently isn't sealed to engine bay which I'll have to fix because it gets hot as hell. Seats are bolted directly to the floor, you adjust them by drilling new holes. So you're rear end is a couple inches off the ground and if you hang your arm over the side you can touch the ground easily.

Other stuff. Rota Flashback wheels, not sure weight but they seem heavy compared to 15x7 Kosei. Car also came with a set of 13x8 track wheels with bias play race rubber mounted. Think that's a miata radiator and overflow tucked in there. Silver box under the fuel cell is where most of the wiring lives, I'd like to move the fuel cell so I can get to that stuff easier.

Includes picture of the need to be redesigned clutch cable holding mechanism.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That fuckin owns

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That fuckin owns

Funny how the more you make a car like a bike, the less terrible it becomes.

That is a very good car.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What’s the lifetime of final drive components?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

That chain drive setup both intrigues me and loving terrifies me in an alternating fashion.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

That fuckin owns
:emptyquote: 100% would thrash

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

NitroSpazzz posted:

Lazy quote from post your ride thread in AI

Includes picture of the need to be redesigned clutch cable holding mechanism.

Love it! Also love how you're willing to sacrifice the weight of a head unit and some speakers because without that is it really a car?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gorson posted:

Love it! Also love how you're willing to sacrifice the weight of a head unit and some speakers because without that is it really a car?
Guy who built it put those in and they are 100% pointless. If you're doing anything beyond sitting at a stop light you can't hear it and the reception is garbage. If I was going to hold onto it I'd get rid of them and replace the whole dash area with a chunk of machine turned aluminum and a digital race dash.

Carteret posted:

That chain drive setup both intrigues me and loving terrifies me in an alternating fashion.
It's really weird but it seems to work pretty well from the thrashing I've put it through.

What’s the lifetime of final drive components?
So far no issues, it's all Miata parts back there so even with the added power there's a lot less weight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I need some videos/sound from that thing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So am I seeing that right, it's basically got no diff? Just a solid axle with 100% drive to both wheels at the same time?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

He said it has the LSD from a Miata, which is a clutch-type IIRC. This is maybe just a sprocket welded or riveted onto the basket?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Here's some video from National Corvette Museum spring 2019, the gopro had gotten loose over the course of the day so by video end it's a video of the sky. I was fighting fuel starvation all day really bad out of corners where I had to brake heavily, ended up being garbage plumbing from the previous owner. This was first time on track with the car or at NCM, great track by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7kQlBI3S8

Toe Rag is correct, it's the guts from a Miata LSD with a sprocket welded to it. Simple but it works pretty well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Here's some video from National Corvette Museum spring 2019, the gopro had gotten loose over the course of the day so by video end it's a video of the sky. I was fighting fuel starvation all day really bad out of corners where I had to brake heavily, ended up being garbage plumbing from the previous owner. This was first time on track with the car or at NCM, great track by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7kQlBI3S8

Toe Rag is correct, it's the guts from a Miata LSD with a sprocket welded to it. Simple but it works pretty well.

How does that work? Like don't LSD's need oil and stuff? Or is it welded up or something?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

There's a fill/drain plug. Fill it up about halfway and it seems happy, more than that it weeps until it reaches a happy level.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

it weeps until it reaches a happy level.

Hell, same

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thoughts on stainless oil filters? I ordered a replacement filter over the phone at a local shop for my DRZ just to have one for my next oil change whenever that is -- they ordered me the wrong filter not once but twice, and the manager apologetically offered to give me this for the same price.

I don't care about saving money in the long run but if it doesn't suck and I never have to replace it then cool I guess. Online thoughts about stainless seem to be either BEST THING EVER or KISS YOUR ENGINE GOODBYE so is this a new "how do I break in my engine"?

Yeah I don't know how you gently caress up an oil filter order either, I can go order one on Amazon right now :P

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Thoughts on stainless oil filters? I ordered a replacement filter over the phone at a local shop for my DRZ just to have one for my next oil change whenever that is -- they ordered me the wrong filter not once but twice, and the manager apologetically offered to give me this for the same price.

I don't care about saving money in the long run but if it doesn't suck and I never have to replace it then cool I guess. Online thoughts about stainless seem to be either BEST THING EVER or KISS YOUR ENGINE GOODBYE so is this a new "how do I break in my engine"?

Yeah I don't know how you gently caress up an oil filter order either, I can go order one on Amazon right now :P

I ran one of these in my DRZ. The previous owner had installed it so it was in there for several thousand miles. Had no issues with it, but I also never sent the oil off for testing so have no empirical evidence for how good it was doing at filtering.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

On the one hand, it's not going to filter jack poo poo because a steel mesh is basically a gaping hole compared to a paper element, you'll just be turning your filter into a mere debris screen.

On the other hand, lots of small bikes don't even have a filter at all and make do with a mesh + sludge flicker.

On the gripping hand, it's a DRZ and likely won't care either way if you don't do anything stupid.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I know there are a few of us on here with MT03s. Has anyone put a windscreen on theirs that they like? I have the additional problem of being 6'4 so I assume I'll need a super dorky tall one to take wind blast off my head. Also with said dork level I assume it comes with a top box too.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Russian Bear posted:

I know there are a few of us on here with MT03s. Has anyone put a windscreen on theirs that they like? I have the additional problem of being 6'4 so I assume I'll need a super dorky tall one to take wind blast off my head. Also with said dork level I assume it comes with a top box too.

I don't have a MT-03, but you don't necessarily want a head level screen because it puts all the wind blast onto your head. Chest and shoulders is better until you get to Goldwang size fairings that shield you fully.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Yeah, unless you're going full dadbike a better crash helmet is always going to be a cheaper and much more effective solution.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's important not only how tall the screen is, but where exactly the wind coming over the top is hitting the rider. I bought a 2" taller screen for my Oldwing and at 6'2" the wind coming over the top causes buffeting around my helmet. If it were a few inches lower, that wind might just hit me in the chest and I might not get the buffeting. I could probably light a match and hold it lower behind the screen there's so much wind protection down there but I'm just tall enough to catch that turbulence. I need to add a deflector.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve had this on the goldwing for like two years now and it’s fantastic

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7GH7DY/

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve had this on the goldwing for like two years now and it’s fantastic

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7GH7DY/

Ordered! Thanks

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A single layer windshield will always give you really bad buffeting unless it extends clear above your head. That lip JSB linked works a treat to smooth out the airflow no matter how high or low the top of the shield is, it's great.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The daddest of dads add an extra lip on top of the first one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

High Protein posted:

The daddest of dads add an extra lip on top of the first one.

This is the final boss you need to defeat before you can ascend to true dadbike mastery

Gorson posted:

Ordered! Thanks

One thing to note is that if you mount it like they show it in the amazon ad, its gonna break. After reading a ton of reviews on them, everyone complaining of breakage had one thing in common, they were mounting them with the arms fully extended upwards, which puts a ton of stress on them, and they snap.

If you mount it with the arms facing down and sitting behind the windshield extender, you should be good.

The locking portions on mine did eventually loosen up and get wobbly and I had to put some real bolts in there, but YMMV on that one. I've got a few thousand miles on mine set up like this, with tons of highway riding, and it's been great.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 11, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yep. Got one for the Bandit when I started doing long trips on the highway, moved it over to the GSF when I got it. They're so good.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Lips on lips on lips until it looks like a lighthouse lens

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ultimate in comfort

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
who knows how to form optically clear polycarbonate and wants to get in on this Fresnel windshield business I just came up with

deflects wind like you wouldn't believe and you can use it to start fires when you're moto-camping

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the final boss you need to defeat before you can ascend to true dadbike mastery

A little bit of vomit came up when I saw this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

A little bit of vomit came up when I saw this.

Aww, I was like that the first time I fell in love, too.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Russian Bear posted:

I don't know how long you've had your motorcycle but my advice is to really, really wait before you commit to getting a huge dorky dad screen for your naked bike, because you really will adapt to wind blast over a period of months and several thousand miles.

I thought I wanted one of these when I first got my bike, but after four or five thousand miles I found that highway speeds really didn't bother me like they used to. Now I'm glad I saved a few hundred bucks and avoided having to look at that thing all the time.

I still wouldn't want to do a cross-continent interstate journey on my naked bike, probably. But if I wanted to do a ride like that I wouldn't be shopping for windscreens, I'd be shopping for a different bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You absolutely don't need a barn door windscreen. A small fly screen that blocks some of the wind from hitting your chest but still leaves your head and shoulders in clean air can make a huge difference for riding longer distances at speed on a naked bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

I don't know how long you've had your motorcycle but my advice is to really, really wait before you commit to getting a huge dorky dad screen for your naked bike, because you really will adapt to wind blast over a period of months and several thousand miles.

I thought I wanted one of these when I first got my bike, but after four or five thousand miles I found that highway speeds really didn't bother me like they used to. Now I'm glad I saved a few hundred bucks and avoided having to look at that thing all the time.

I still wouldn't want to do a cross-continent interstate journey on my naked bike, probably. But if I wanted to do a ride like that I wouldn't be shopping for windscreens, I'd be shopping for a different bike.

I'll see if the yamaha screens (they're small) are available then. Can't seem to find any reviews on those surprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This one?

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/new-front-cowl-2020-mt-03

My friend ordered one, and it was on back order for over a year. I’m not sure if she ever got it actually. Good luck!