Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

The whole point of this exercise is to make banks evaluate risk lol. Capitalists can't shut the gently caress up about personal responsibility. Time to put up outer shut up. After all corporations are people too right?

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Number19 posted:

My guess is that the longer they wait to raise the rate, the higher it will have to go in the end to get inflation properly under control. Every government knows raising rates is political suicide for them. If they can delay it until the other party has to do it they can cruise to power again when their opposition has the grenade explode in their hand. The one thing that will almost certainly grind the housing market to a halt is interest rates rising and staying higher for a while. They have delayed raising rates for a long time already so who knows what it will take if they can’t slow the rate of inflation.

We’re quite late in this cycle now and inflation continues to rise despite the government and BoC’s best efforts so this might blow up if the can’t get it under control soon.

I’m picturing people having to qualify at 8-9% and just laughing. The whole thing is dead if it gets that far.

The rates are controlled by the bank of Canada which is supposed to be independent of the government. Whether that's playing out in practice I dunno.

Regarding banks taking a bath on people handing back the keys, cmhc and the other high ratio lenders are one the hook for the risky ones that had less than 20 percent down. The banks can withstand a 20 percent drop before they get hurt. Then it's just foreclosing and dealing with the loss after sale, not sure if they write it off or go after homeowner. I assume just write it off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The bank loaned you $900K against a million dollars of collateral. If the collateral drops in value then it’s no longer a fully-secured loan, so they will (in theory) want you to pay back enough of the loan that the remaining amount is covered by the market value of the collateral asset. You could take out a loan to purchase Property A by using Property B as collateral, which is somewhat what happens when people take out HELOC loans to buy additional real estate. What should happen if Property A drops in value?

I think one of the few ways to make our real estate substantially more hosed would be to have the majority of gains accrue to the lending banks instead of the owning individuals. So congratulations on that, I guess.

I’ll admit that I don’t understand what corporate personhood has to do with it, though, so I might well be missing something significant about your position!

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

No you dumb gently caress the point is to reduce the risk taken on by borrowers if the market gets hosed and to reduce the incentive to invest in housing even if the market is increasing because reasons.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don’t reduce the incentive to invest in housing, you just move it from individuals to banks. How is that an improvement? It’s not like there aren’t a ton of corporations already slurping up real estate as it is.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Yeah banks love investments with zero income with magical unicorn capital gains. Aren't you supposed to be some kind of tech rich g

oh nevermind

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why would they give up the debt service income here? I mean, it’s a weird fictional ownership model that you’re proposing, but I don’t understand why banks wouldn’t charge interest on the loan and capture an increase in the value of the property. (plus if they’re part owners I’m sure they’ll find a way to charge rent too, because why not?)

why would the government prop up real estate prices less if banks owned them than if individuals did? that doesn’t seem like the sort of behaviour we’ve come to expect

you are right, though, that you don’t need to know anything material about finance to luck into a meaningful amount of money as a windfall

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

You don’t reduce the incentive to invest in housing, you just move it from individuals to banks. How is that an improvement?

I think that is in fact a material improvement.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

half cocaine posted:

No I mean if you have taken out a mortgage on a 1 million condo with a 100k down payment, why is it ok for the bank to come after you for 900k if it halves in value? Why shouldn't the bank be forced to take a haircut of 450k?

There's been some other rambling here but this all feels disconnected.
You were loaned 900k dollars secured by the value of the home. It would be the same if it was a bank or an individual or whatever that loaned you money that was backed by some asset.
The fact that it's housing and banks seems immaterial, it's just the contract in the end.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://www.reddit.com/r/canadahousing/comments/q53van/whenever_you_can_kick_these_fking_tenants_out_my/

quote:

TLDR: This market has turned agents and people into monsters with no humility

My wife and I for the last 4 years have been renting a place about 2 hours north of Toronto and our landlord has decided to sell. Our current rent is $1500 a month and we will have no choice but to up our budget to $2700 to $3000 a month for very small townhouses in our area, this is the final nail in the coffin for us ever being able to afford a house, have kids or let alone a vacation ever again. I can honestly get over that, but the selling process has been the most humiliating and degrading experience I have occurred in my adult life.

As part of this process our landlord has not answered any of our emails directed to him he has been passing everything though to the listing agent. He has withheld our referance letter so we can not start looking for a new place until his sells, we have asked about our key deposit once sold, our last month's rent interest etc. It has been dead air after having a 4 year long working relationship with him. We have "overlooked" so many issues with the place to keep a reasonable working relationship. We have had 26 showings in 3 days, I know you don't have to leave the house but my wife and I have to been accommodating and avoid the awkwardness.

Still I can overlook our landlord not responding to us.

I can not look over how ruthless this real estate market has made people. I have a security camera installed in our house (noted on the MLS listing) and the things people have said and do has been terrible. One viewing the perspective buyers used our broom and knocked the attic door and it came crashing to the ground.. and they just left it , drywall everywhere damage to the laundry machine. People have been sitting on our couch, leaving our backdoor unlocked, lights on, pulling books off our shelf , going through our drawers etc.

BUT the poo poo people are saying is just heart breaking to hear. Real Estate agents calling the listing agent saying " whenever you can kick these f**king tenants out my clients want to offer $175,000 over asking. People saying items in our house are a waste of money, what's the soonest we can kick tenants out, these tenants have practically paid the mortgage by being here so long the list goes on and on.

The thought that we are being forced out of our home doesn't cross anyone's mind anymore. I have always considered real-estate a place to live first and an investment second. I think lately we have forgotten at least in Ontario the basic need of shelter. Some people for what ever the reason can not afford to buy, or live with family therefore renting is the only option. Tenants are not the scum of the earth.

I have no problem with people wanting to purchase a new home or our landlord deciding to sell, just remember what it's like to be in other people's shoes.

The first time my prior landlord wanted to sell I made sure I was there for every showing. The second time I vacated just to make it go quicker. It sucks.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 10, 2021

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
you have to be absolute scum to be buying a tenanted house with the intention of kicking them out

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You don't need a reference letter to rent what are they talking about

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

evilpicard posted:

You don't need a reference letter to rent what are they talking about

it's common for people to ask for previous landlord references, last place I rented did a credit check

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

My current place I needed a letter from my employer, 3 character references, the contact details for my current landlord for a reference, and a credit check. They tried to ask me for $75 for the credit check and I managed to convince them that I could just log in to equifax and show them on my phone. They said someone faked theirs before so they didn’t trust me just sending them the PDF.

It was an insane amount of hoops to jump through imo but it was a very good price for a TO rental so I did it anyway.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Starks posted:

My current place I needed a letter from my employer, 3 character references, the contact details for my current landlord for a reference, and a credit check. They tried to ask me for $75 for the credit check and I managed to convince them that I could just log in to equifax and show them on my phone. They said someone faked theirs before so they didn’t trust me just sending them the PDF.

It was an insane amount of hoops to jump through imo but it was a very good price for a TO rental so I did it anyway.

Yeah getting a rental these days is seriously more difficult than applying for a mortgage. Landlords are assholes.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've rented in Toronto, yes you need a credit report, proof of income and your old addresses but no you do not need a letter from your landlord - that's some 1700's Russian level of serfdom we aren't at yet (barely)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

evilpicard posted:

I've rented in Toronto, yes you need a credit report, proof of income and your old addresses but no you do not need a letter from your landlord - that's some 1700's Russian level of serfdom we aren't at yet (barely)

Every rental I've moved into in the last ten years has contacted my previous landlord. I've lived in 5 different places in that time period..

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Can confirm you don’t strictly need it, but not having one does limit your choices for sure. Just get a friend to fake it for you if you don’t have it, that’s what I’ve always done, it’s not something you should be worried about. As far as the credit check goes, I only give them permission for a soft check, if a landlord wants a full check I simply tell them to gently caress off because that affects my rating. Any landlord who insists on more than that I guarantee you will be more hassle to deal with in the long term than just holding out for something better.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

When I rented, everything was done through a property management company for a condo in Etobicoke.
This was winter 2016. I had to do a credit check and meet for an interview with the property management company. That was it. The interview had the guy saying “I’m not worried about you, you pay your bills clearly. Just remember if we have a late payment for any reason we will begin the eviction process immediately”. They also wanted a letter from my employer providing proof of employment.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Yeah, just forge a reference letter.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm surprised tenants aren't forced to eat garlic in front of those benevolent landlords to prove they're not a vampire with how unbalanced the vetting is in the tenant vs landlord dynamics

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Slotducks posted:

I'm surprised tenants aren't forced to eat garlic in front of those benevolent landlords to prove they're not a vampire with how unbalanced the vetting is in the tenant vs landlord dynamics

Not garlic no, but they are required to do the yardwork for them. In a good few decades capitalism will have reverted to full on feudalism.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Tenants are the new scapegoat of society.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Landlords are now asking for all this poo poo before you can even see the place btw. Using covid as an excuse to not even bother to talk to you before ghosting you because you have a kid.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

large hands posted:

Letter from a landlord making the rounds on Twitter, apparently they own 3 houses:

Thinking about how Elizabeth May is a landlord and wondering lmao

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadahousing/comments/q53van/whenever_you_can_kick_these_fking_tenants_out_my/

The first time my prior landlord wanted to sell I made sure I was there for every showing. The second time I vacated just to make it go quicker. It sucks.

Wondering about the agent who's "ready to offer when you can kick these tenants out". If they're going to live in the house they can remove the tenants themselves. If they want to re-rent it then the only way they're getting these tenants out is paying them off.

Just curious what the agent thinks the sellers could possibly do.

The obvious move is for the buyers to do the usual fake "personal use" eviction.
Which still drives me nuts. Taking someone's home from them is such a severe action that the punishment for doing it falsely needs to be as severe. If you do it your house should be seized by the government and turned into social housing.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Fidelitious posted:

Taking someone's home from them is such a severe action that the punishment for doing it falsely needs to be as severe. If you do it your house should be seized by the government and turned into social housing.

My preferred solution isn't quite so extreme, but my preferred solution for bad-faith evictions would be to calculate the difference between what the tenant was paying at the old place, and the market rate for a new, equivalent place, and automatically convert it into a lien held by the tenant against the property. This would continue as long as the tenant continues suffering damages by having to pay more rent than they otherwise would have, and has the advantage of making the property toxic to both lenders and potential buyers.

Make it treble damages, and the former tenant would eventually own the property outright if the landlord was stupid enough.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
This is confusing as gently caress but my read is tenant asked to break lease early, landlord agreed and found a new tenant, but the landlord is now trying to charge the tenant his MLS listing fees.

loving scum of the earth.

Private landlord has agreed to list our property a month early (as we're leaving) but has just sent us this about our month's refund, does this seem right?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
It is every business owner’s solemn duty to internalize profits and externalizations costs.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Is paying that fee in the contract? If the landlord agreed to break the lease and made no mention of it I would for sure file a dispute immediately with the RTB, the magnitude of that cost makes it seem worth it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Even if it was in the lease, it's an illegal fee and unenforceable in Ontario. (Edit: OP confirms they are in Ontario in a comment)

OP response to the landlord:

quote:

Our response:

Thank you for getting back to us, we hope that you enjoyed your thanksgiving too.

We appreciate you listing the apartment for us early, however given that you have not lost any revenue in the process (rather are $600 better off) we were very surprised to read that you have tried to have us incur the fee of listing the property, a fee that you as the landlord would have inevitably have had to have paid yourself, only one month later. This seems somewhat opportunistic at our expense and a fee that we aren’t prepared to accept.

Respectfully, we expect to be reimbursed the full amount owed to us and are prepared to take it up with the tenants board if necessary. However we feel it would be a real shame for everyone involved if it had to come to that as we’ve enjoyed a good relationship over the past year

From what I recall the law is tenant gives notice, landlord is obliged to find a new tenant, if they do not the tenant is on the hook until end of the lease, but if they find a new tenant the vacating tenant gets their money back - that's it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

evilpicard posted:

I've had to do it for my last 3 places, it's pretty common both here and in other cities. It may not be required for Landlords to request it, so not all of them do, but as far as I can tell it is a legal option for them: https://stepstojustice.ca/questions/housing-law/what-information-can-landlord-ask-me-when-i-apply-place/
Usually they just ask for contact details, not a letter, and reach out to the landlord directly so that you can't forge it.

Even if asking for a Landlord reference wasn't allowed, what can you even do about it at the application stage? If you say no they can just go with another applicant.

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 12, 2021

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Why does this mean you can't forge it? They reach out and the person on the other end of the line tells them pretty much exactly what's in the letter. Seriously, landlord references are even less reliable than previous job references.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I look forward to the scam where someone shows a place to a bunch of people, collects all the details necessary to do a credit check, then uses that to commit identity fraud on all the applicants.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I would love to get that letter from a landlord. Illegally witholding return of last month's rent? I've only lived in Ontario for 1.5 years but I seem to recall that in BC it's triple damages on failure to return the deposit.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Mortgage broker doesn’t want us to register the house…?

reddit posted:

Hi everyone, running into an odd situation. I’ll summarize it briefly:

We sold our home, bought a home (putting down 50%), got a mortgage broker through a recommendation who ended up being a nightmare.

He’s been extremely unclear on the progress of our situation and called us 2 days before the move out date to say he got us approved but wouldn’t share details on what rate, how much etc.

Then he said, we’ll go to the bank Tuesday morning (today) to close the deal. But also said there wont be any available funds even though the mortgage is approved, so to help he’ll offer the missing amount to close the house, he’ll be paid back from the mortgage funds once available and thus we’ll be able to close the home, but doesn’t want us to register it until the mortgage goes through and he’s paid back.

I’m pretty sure its illegal to not register a home and beyond that it all smells fishy to me…

Any thoughts/advice?

Move out date is today, and we do not have a home to move in to as it stands due to a lack of funding.

Thank you for reading!

Ok this has to be a scam but how does it work? It reminds me of a rubber cheque scam but obviously a lawyer won't let you close with a cheque...

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Cold on a Cob posted:

Mortgage broker doesn’t want us to register the house…?

Ok this has to be a scam but how does it work? It reminds me of a rubber cheque scam but obviously a lawyer won't let you close with a cheque...

This is the scammiest scam I've ever heard of.

I'm guessing that there's also a fake lawyer involved with this fake mortgage broker. I'm going to say that the 50% they put down via bank draft to the lawyer is going to disappear. The broker has to 'provide' the missing 50% because they're not going to be able to fool the bank providing the mortgage with their fake lawyer.
They ask for the delay in registering to give themselves time to disappear because obviously the whole deal is going to fall through and they need to be gone before anyone has figured that out. The way I describe it does sound pretty shaky though so I must be missing some parts.

Other alternative is this guy is just faking up mortgage acceptance to the last second so that he can push them into some kind of private financing deal to "save the deal" where he can charge them some inflated rate.

My main question is what 'friend' recommended them to use a scammer. They must have known?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Disappearing seems unlikely given the papertrail of money, but what do I know. Eitherway, I would neither speak to the broker or the so called friend again after that. I would also report the broker to the police because there’s no way that isn’t fraud of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fidelitious posted:

Other alternative is this guy is just faking up mortgage acceptance to the last second so that he can push them into some kind of private financing deal to "save the deal" where he can charge them some inflated rate.

Yeah I'm leaning towards this as the likely scenario. Virtually impossible to scam for the entire deposit without a lot of collaborators.