Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JordanKai posted:

The shinespark puzzle in the secret area in Burenia is one of the most unintuitive things I've ever encountered in a Metroid game. It was really hard to find, too.

Unless you already know that Shinesparking into an incline allows you to start running again and this prolong your speed boost (it’s been that way since Fusion) I could understand that puzzle being confusing. You’re never explicitly told that in any of the games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i mean that was adam's shtick in fusion talking about the SA-X too so it barely seemed out of place

oddly enough, that was misdirection as well because Adam was getting told by the Feds to say poo poo like that to Samus, to stop her from damaging the SA-X’s too much

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Regarding plot/end stuff: I'm guessing Ravens Beak is also responsible for the ~mysterious~ X parasite video that kicks off the game, and possibly posting the unusually small bounty as well, because he knows that Samus will immediately come running but nobody else will.

Then Samus accidentally releases them because Raven Beak gave her Chozo DNA and the X possess him at the end. Irony!

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, great job Kotaku. In one article point a giant flashing neon "LOOK HERE, FAMOUSLY LITIGIOUS COMPANY" sign at things that would help with game preservation in years to come, AND manage to encourage piracy of a brand new game in a series that traditionally has gone years if not decades between releases due to its' niche nature!

Lotta capital G Gamers sticking up for their rights to steal stuff there too. Ugh.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Regarding plot/end stuff: I'm guessing Ravens Beak is also responsible for the ~mysterious~ X parasite video that kicks off the game, and possibly posting the unusually small bounty as well, because he knows that Samus will immediately come running but nobody else will.

Then Samus accidentally releases them because Raven Beak gave her Chozo DNA and the X possess him at the end. Irony!

Yes, 100% on the first point. It's basically spelled out by Silent Cloak saying that with all the Metroids dead, Samus is the only source of Metroid DNA that Raven needs.

Other thoughts on plot and stuff: (Spoilers for the whole game)
It took me a bit to realize Samus absorbing the Silent Cloak X made the metroid suit go away because Silent is from the tribe/has the ability to control Metroids.

Kraid is probably not THE Kraid, but A Kraid, or a Kraid clone. Ravens Beak/the warrior tribe probably had it cause it could be used as a weapon. I generally appreciate we get a Kraid reprisal and are spared a Ridley fight, but almost can't help but headcanon that Ravens Beak decided a Ridley clone wasn't worth having. (Or maybe is responsible for why Ridley came back so many times in the first place.)

Mechanically, I'm not hot on the EMMI. They were alright the first few encounters, but were just kinda annoying/frustrating by the White and Purple ones.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 10, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Orange Crush Rush posted:

oddly enough, that was misdirection as well because Adam was getting told by the Feds to say poo poo like that to Samus, to stop her from damaging the SA-X’s too much

eventually yes, but the early game stuff that's "just run, don't fight, don't look, just fuckin run" isn't because the feds are trickling powerups, it's because you're just legitimately that underpowered and screwed if you get caught

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Game and series plot spoilers: Geeze, Samus just keeps collecting dads like she does suit upgrades. She's up to three bio-dads (Rodney, Grey Voice, and Raven Beak) and atleast one adoptive dad (Old Bird, arguably Adam as a father-figure).

I like that most shinespark puzzles have multiple solutions.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

It's Adam while you're on the ship and then Raven Beak the whole rest of the time. Uploading data to the computers never actually connected Samus back to the ship, Raven Beak was intercepting everything.

I like how Samus’s response to this revelation is to just silently blow the poo poo out of the computer room

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: All too real!

Also goddamn the devs made this game punishing unless you achieve pretty near perfect play on some bosses. There isn't much buffer IMO.

I just got the gravity suit and all excited, less damage then run into a boss that basically chunks you in 6-8ish hits if you gently caress up. I don't remember many bosses from before in the series smashing you this hard and basically causing you having to repeat until nearly flawless.

This was that chozo thing with spears that learned to now puke black stuff on you. So that takes out a ton and if you get hit that also removes a ton.

Even coming from being a Souls veteran and worshipping it this feels very much so like a "git gud scrub" game.

Just got to this boss and lmfao he’s a pain in the rear end.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

raditts posted:

God damnit that's the only attack I didn't try using, I'm going to kick his loving rear end when I get up tomorrow morning

Woke up and beat his rear end. Promises made, promises kept. :zpatriot:

snoremac posted:

At a loss here. Where do you go after getting grapple beam? I've been everywhere I can conceivably reach.

Figuring out where to go next can be a bit obtuse sometimes, I know I spent a few hours wandering around trying to find the next area, but remember that Adam keeps telling you to keep moving towards the surface for a reason.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 10, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the power ups seem awkwardly paced compared to other Metroid games. I’ve just gotten three back to back, probably less than three rooms apart, which is even weirder after the drought in the game’s first hour or so

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

the power ups seem awkwardly paced compared to other Metroid games. I’ve just gotten three back to back, probably less than three rooms apart, which is even weirder after the drought in the game’s first hour or so

I feel like they're pretty regularly spaced with one large exception from grapple beam to super missiles, it's just a question of if you click onto the path the game wants you to take or start backtracking in an unintended direction (with anything involving underwater jumping upgrades being a frequent pain point since A. You have to backtrack after getting space jump and B. if you don't recall/notice the indicators that don't correspond to map marks it's easy to overshoot and keep backtracking too far

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 10, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I don't want a remake of super metroid, but I do want a game with the same design philosophy of super metroid. Let the player explore at their leisure, keep one-way paths at a minimum, except of course for tutorializing the new powerups you get, and have the main purpose of the game to hunt down a bounty on your own, not at the federation's bidding.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

There's also some real oddballs too - Like the double jump being not long before you just get the space jump? And the Cross bomb in general feels a bit odd, particularly with how late as it is.

I'm also really curious the percentage of players who end up with at least one early powerbomb.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I don't want a remake of super metroid, but I do want a game with the same design philosophy of super metroid. Let the player explore at their leisure, keep one-way paths at a minimum, except of course for tutorializing the new powerups you get, and have the main purpose of the game to hunt down a bounty on your own, not at the federation's bidding.

Agreed I liked that vibe more

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
There've been a couple open world games in recent memory that have toggle of "low waypoint" vs "maximum handholding", I wonder if something like that could be applied

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How in the hell do I get these speed blocks

Frankston fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 10, 2021

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

There's also some real oddballs too - Like the double jump being not long before you just get the space jump? And the Cross bomb in general feels a bit odd, particularly with how late as it is.
I was watching a bunch of streams and was surprised at how many people had sequence broke the game and gotten so many other powerups before the cross bombs!

...Turns out, it was I, I was the one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Frankston posted:

How in the hell do I get these speed blocks

If its the spot I'm thinking of, there's a big room to the right, and across that room is a long hallway with a single beam block placed in the wall. Get into that slot and do a ballspark to the left.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

If its the spot I'm thinking of, there's a big room to the right, and across that room is a long hallway with a single beam block placed in the wall. Get into that slot and do a ballspark to the left.

Thanks. Next question, what the gently caress is a ballspark and how do I do it

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I had at least 3 powerbomb expansions before getting the powerbombs. I didn't even feel like I sequence broke anything; I just kept getting lost.

Beat the final boss on my first try this morning. Powerbombing the sun attack made the final phase comparably trivial. I ended the fight with several every tanks left. Was not expecting the Metroid Suit to look like Super Shredder so I laughed my rear end off during the escape sequence.

Honestly, great game. I'd place it just under Super and just over Fusion, which is very high praise. I was a little worried because I found Samus Returns to be lackluster. I really hope it does well enough that Metroid becomes a regular series after all these years.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Frankston posted:

Thanks. Next question, what the gently caress is a ballspark and how do I do it

When you have a spark stocked, you can go into morph ball and shinespark as that, letting you zoom into one tile gaps.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn’t really find most of the bosses to be that difficult aside from the last two :shrug:
they have pretty simple patterns to learn and telegraph their attacks a lot

Oxyclean posted:

I'm also really curious the percentage of players who end up with at least one early powerbomb.

people were calling this a sequence break but I’m 99% sure you’re meant to find those, the first one I found was in a fairly obvious location

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Finished up my first 100% playthrough with a time of 9:08:23, and I gotta say...

This is my favorite 2D Metroid, hands down. Everything just clicked for me the whole way through, the atmosphere was fantastic, the story was engaging enough to keep my interest, the bosses were fun and challenging, controls were on point, I even did every dumb shinespark puzzle when before I hated them in Fusion and ZM.

I'm so happy this game turned out so loving great after all this time away, definitely looking forward to what comes next.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think I also found about three powerbomb upgrades before I got the actual item.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

people were calling this a sequence break but I’m 99% sure you’re meant to find those, the first one I found was in a fairly obvious location

There's some that you need to be a bit more clever to get, or you can get even earlier, like I think I abused a wall jump or made an awkward jump to get to one fairly early? But I could have just as easily come back with space jump or some other powers and still have gotten it early. It's definitely not a traditional sequence break to get them early.

I want to say I maybe had 4 before I got the real version?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Am I supposed to not get anything after beating Drogyga?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Calaveron posted:

Am I supposed to not get anything after beating Drogyga?

Nope. You'll get your next power-up pretty early into the following area instead.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone else think free aim should've been on R and missiles on L or Lz

i just got the grapple beam (are we bothering to spoil these?) and the controls for it are a touch awkward to me
(e)

BisbyWorl posted:

When you have a spark stocked, you can go into morph ball and shinespark as that, letting you zoom into one tile gaps.

i noticed that if you shineball into a ramp you go into speed-ball; is there any way to get back into shinespark-readiness or at least running boost from there?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wahay, quote and edit buttons, woo

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone else think free aim should've been on R and missiles on L or Lz

i just got the grapple beam (are we bothering to spoil these?) and the controls for it are a touch awkward to me
(e)

i noticed that if you shineball into a ramp you go into speed-ball; is there any way to get back into shinespark-readiness or at least running boost from there?

You could probably stand up, run back, then spark into the same ramp to get back into speed booster.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
you can unmorph and shine, there's one pickup where doing this isn't mandatory but i think it's the easier and intended way if you do

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

get their rear end nintendo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

get their rear end nintendo

Lol at cheerleading billion dollar companies.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

J Detan posted:

Yeah, great job Kotaku. In one article point a giant flashing neon "LOOK HERE, FAMOUSLY LITIGIOUS COMPANY" sign at things that would help with game preservation in years to come, AND manage to encourage piracy of a brand new game in a series that traditionally has gone years if not decades between releases due to its' niche nature!

Lotta capital G Gamers sticking up for their rights to steal stuff there too. Ugh.
If NIntendo doesn't want their exclusive games playable at full speed on emulators day 1 then they shouldn't use decade old hardware that slow enough to be emulated perfectly on a low end gaming pc.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Lol at cheerleading billion dollar companies.

i would fight and die for nintendo's honor but that isnt the point. the point is that it would be very funny if nintendo destroyed kotaku with a screw attack

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
but seriously lol at posting that article when the company involved is one of the most litigious game publishers in the world who take people to court over websites hosting decades old roms and thinking you won't get an angry letter from the nintendo lawyers about it

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 10, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I do agree it’d be funny tho. Gamer news is dumb as hell and serves no purpose.

I’d rather be fooled like back in the Nintendo Power days then the blatant paid mouth pieces.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vintersorg posted:

I do agree it’d be funny tho. Gamer news is dumb as hell and serves no purpose.

I’d rather be fooled like back in the Nintendo Power days then the blatant paid mouth pieces.

Nintendo power actually provided value though in the form of fairly high-quality maps in the pre-internet days. Plus their commentary on the game and tips from people who had actually played the game and perhaps were actually fairly knowledgeable about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo power also had cool as hell pull out posters while kotaku is just lovely click bait with no pull out posters