Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

I don’t think anyone else answered this but you’ve basically got it. Gamepad is the most sensible controller, and absolutely install the vr mod, which does things like putting the PDA further away than “attached to the tip of your nose.” After that, it should be pretty smooth sailing.

The game is pretty stunning in VR, in my opinion, and the sense of scale is so much more impactful.

can't wait to try this out in VR. I bought it on switch but was waiting for it to go back on sale since the game pass version is almost impossible to mod (I think the paths are too long for the de-encryption to work properly to mod the files and you can't mod the normal install at all).

The only things I saw in VR without the mod was, yeah, the PDA is too close (and the survival hud clips into it) and the top and bottom screen text is too high or low to read, lol. But even seeing the inside of the lifepod in VR was.... man the ocean is gonna be hosed up scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Earlier I had found a spot with a bunch of rocks and wrote down how far it was from the escape pod and in which direction, and returned to that spot again to collect enough stuff to make the Rebreather and Sea Moth. With those I was able to reach Keane's pod and find the Power Cell charger, which will be great. I also explored a few deep caves cautiously and found some rubies and a little lithium. And one diamond. One more and I can make the laser cutter. I hope to find the Battery Charger blueprint soon well.

Apparently having the Moon Pool too close to the surface damages it. How far down does it need to be to avoid taking "Anti-Crush Depth" damage?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dismantle your base and move it somewhere in the 60-100m depth range. Edges of the various grassy plains are the sweet spots.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Apparently having the Moon Pool too close to the surface damages it. How far down does it need to be to avoid taking "Anti-Crush Depth" damage?

I think this is being addressed in an upcoming patch.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is this a new issue? My moonpool at my main base touches the surface and it seems fine, but I also don't know if I'm fully updated or not.

It isn't because your integrity is too low?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

star eater posted:

Is this a new issue? My moonpool at my main base touches the surface and it seems fine, but I also don't know if I'm fully updated or not.

It isn't because your integrity is too low?

I'm not sure. I built the moon pool near the surface base, close enough that I could have connected it with another straight section...but it wasn't actually connected to the base. I did get some lithium and reinforced the base more though, so I could try and see if it that helps.

EDIT: Got the diamond, and with the laser cutter, I got the Battery Charger as well. I guess I need the blueprint for a "Multipurpose Room" before I can put in a bioreactor? It seems too big for a standard chamber.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 8, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If you build it close enough to the base that it's only the same placement grid then it counts as part of that base in terms of structural integrity.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Moon Pools are also one of the single greatest drains on structural integrity, it’s not uncommon for the first one you build to tank your integrity to the point where you start springing leaks.

Also the Moon Pool has six slots for either reinforcements or windows, they’re also the areas where hallways will link up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I treat my moonpool like a garage and only really have one interior entrance/exit to the rest of my underwater house. :3:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

star eater posted:

But even seeing the inside of the lifepod in VR was.... man the ocean is gonna be hosed up scary.

I played the entire game in flat before I had the VR option and when I came back to try it in VR, the biggest difference I immediately noticed was that the water seemed DEEPER. Like, the starting shallows? Feels so shallow in flat, but in VR, it has so much stronger a sense of scale, it suddenly seems surprisingly large! I think flat tends to shrink one’s perception of the environment, and VR tends to magnify it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I played the entire game in flat before I had the VR option and when I came back to try it in VR, the biggest difference I immediately noticed was that the water seemed DEEPER. Like, the starting shallows? Feels so shallow in flat, but in VR, it has so much stronger a sense of scale, it suddenly seems surprisingly large! I think flat tends to shrink one’s perception of the environment, and VR tends to magnify it.

This is sort of related and not a criticism, but is 'flat' the official or commonly used term for a non-vr experience? Genuinely asking, because this is the first time I've heard it. Makes sense and seems like it should be.

This game, Skyrim, and Superhot are my top 3 "I need to experience them in VR!" games. Elite Dangerous would be up there but I've never actually played the game normally. Or flat, as you mentioned. Seems like any sort of driving/flying/spaceflight game would be perfect for it, as you're only really moving your head and arms anyway.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is sort of related and not a criticism, but is 'flat' the official or commonly used term for a non-vr experience? Genuinely asking, because this is the first time I've heard it. Makes sense and seems like it should be.

This game, Skyrim, and Superhot are my top 3 "I need to experience them in VR!" games. Elite Dangerous would be up there but I've never actually played the game normally. Or flat, as you mentioned. Seems like any sort of driving/flying/spaceflight game would be perfect for it, as you're only really moving your head and arms anyway.

2D or pancake are all pretty normal things to call regular games for the VR crowd.

Subnautica and Skyrim are still my favorite games in VR. Even without the best VR native control scheme, the environments in them are just so amazing it left a much better impression on me than most VR games do.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A BZ survey that has some cool stuff in it, like being able to access inv/mods from the moonpool.
Or different colored modules separate from Truckster color.

Got it from their Discord.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd9v3Nq6Xnt4Y861VnO8i-sBZTRQoEbuiXDOM9NLFP_Ko3Bug/viewform

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Argh, it's so annoying to start a new base, lugging a ton of stuff several minutes away from another base, and realize you are allowed to build one (1) room before the module balks and makes the attempted new attachment all red no matter what type and where you try and place it. I guess the game really hates building in shallow water. (I already built the one room and put a solar panel on it and a fabricator and cabinet inside, so just disassembling would be a pain in itself.)

I can't put the base too far down because I have no room for a Bioreactor without some "Multi-Use Room" module I haven't found yet.

EDIT: All right I finally got a moonpool established, just shy of 60m deep, just south of the enforcement platform island. Solar panels did work there. I also built a vehicle upgrade station, equipment upgrade station, Scanner station, and a rad suit.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 9, 2021

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

I just got out of a session and wowie you weren't kidding. Just lurking around the creepvines felt like i was super super deep. I can't imagine later in the game when I'm descending like down to 500m+ @.@

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

star eater posted:

I just got out of a session and wowie you weren't kidding. Just lurking around the creepvines felt like i was super super deep. I can't imagine later in the game when I'm descending like down to 500m+ @.@

Goooooooooood luck with the Degasi bases!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I experienced my first "game over" moment. I was exploring a giant Jellyshroom cave, and after several encounters with the crabsnakes, I found the Degrasa habitat - purely by chance. I got a few scans and found the Multi-Purpose Room and Water Filtration plant, but a crabsnake destroyed Mothy, my Seamoth. It was then that I realized that I was hopelessly lost in the cave and I didn't have enough oxygen to find my way back out.

After I quit and reloaded my last save, the first thing I did was install torpedos onto the Sea Moth.

(I also made some pathfinder discs.)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

I experienced my first "game over" moment. I was exploring a giant Jellyshroom cave, and after several encounters with the crabsnakes, I found the Degrasa habitat - purely by chance. I got a few scans and found the Multi-Purpose Room and Water Filtration plant, but a crabsnake destroyed Mothy, my Seamoth. It was then that I realized that I was hopelessly lost in the cave and I didn't have enough oxygen to find my way back out.

After I quit and reloaded my last save, the first thing I did was install torpedos onto the Sea Moth.

There is an exit directly above the spoiler. It's incredibly useful for getting down there to collect resources.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

yesterday I was playing 2D mode and was loving off near what I assume must've been the edge of the map/crater, just descending next to a cliff face down to like 1000m before coming back up, when a leviathan hosed up my defenseless cyclops. As the AI told me abandon ship, I jumped in my seamoth and peaced out, watching the submarine explode. Well, alright, that sucks, lost a bunch of ion cubes, and materials, but I can survive this.

I started heading towards home base and along the way a reaper came out of NO WHERE and grabbed my seamoth and destroyed it. I jumped out before it exploded and just sea glided my way back to base.

I lost pretty much everything within 5 minutes. Then I saved (on purpose). I let it stand cause I'm a masochist. (so many materials..... and upgrade modules.... gone....)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah if you get down to 1,000m without negotiating a series of caves, you're off the edge of the map and subject to mandatory friends.

Also, a wrecked Cyclops can be boarded, repaired, and re-energized! Unless it's sunken out in the deep dark, presumably if you could get to it you could repair it, but just getting there let alone back is a questionable proposition as you've found. RIC (rest in cyclops)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah if you get down to 1,000m without negotiating a series of caves, you're off the edge of the map and subject to mandatory friends.

Also, a wrecked Cyclops can be boarded, repaired, and re-energized! Unless it's sunken out in the deep dark, presumably if you could get to it you could repair it, but just getting there let alone back is a questionable proposition as you've found. RIC (rest in cyclops)

To add onto this a general rule of thumb; if you stop seeing the random intangible schools of fish, are in open water, and not in a radiation zone you probably need to turn back whence ye came. Double check that you have ground beneath you.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
CYCLOPS ONLINE.

Now I know how busdrivers feel. This thing most definitely doesn't feel like it one person should be controlling it. I feel almost blind to whatever is around me. And yet, I still don't have the prawn suit. I think I'll stop most of my harvesting resources, since I'm not able to spend most of them.

When I set the engine to "Flank Speed", it complains that I'm making too much noise. Is that only a problem if I enter territory full of leviathans, or will the noise attract angry enemies?

One complaint I have is that there's a lot of unclear feedback. Apparently Moon Pools break down if you build them too close to the surface, but it doesn't say how deep you should build them (the answer, apparently is 60 feet or lower). Thermal power plants obviously want a high ambient temperature, but what is that? How can you tell if you're in a radiation zone if you have radiation gear on? (Same for high temperature zones.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 10, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When you build a thermal plant there is a screen that tells you how efficiently it is working. You want the temperature displayed on the screen to be green. You still get power from lower temperatures (yellow/orange) though. I think it wants to be at least in 40-50C range.

The more fearsome enemies are attracted to noise, be careful running at full throttle.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Silent Running will look tempting but it MURDERS your batteries.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

CYCLOPS ONLINE.

Now I know how busdrivers feel. This thing most definitely doesn't feel like it one person should be controlling it. I feel almost blind to whatever is around me. And yet, I still don't have the prawn suit. I think I'll stop most of my harvesting resources, since I'm not able to spend most of them.

When I set the engine to "Flank Speed", it complains that I'm making too much noise. Is that only a problem if I enter territory full of leviathans, or will the noise attract angry enemies?

When you're at the Cyclops's steering wheel you can look around for additional controls. One of those leads to three externally mounted cameras. You've got two in front, top and bottom, and one in the rear. The Cyclops becomes much more manageable that way.

The noise will only attract nearby leviathans, but if you run at flank speed for too long the heat will build up and set your sub on fire. The devs really don't like people moving fast with the Cyclops.

quote:

One complaint I have is that there's a lot of unclear feedback. Apparently Moon Pools break down if you build them too close to the surface, but it doesn't say how deep you should build them. Thermal power plants obviously want a high ambient temperature, but what is that? How can you tell if you're in a radiation zone if you have radiation gear on? (Same for high temperature zones.)

>25C for the Thermal Plant, the hotter the better. You ought to have a temperature meter on your HUD and in vehicles that'll tell you what you're at. With regards to radiation, just pop your helmet off for a couple seconds. If your vision turns green and you hear clicking it needs to go back on.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Keep in mind that thermal plants showing green is very basic measure of "Are you getting power at all. yes/no?" that will be satisfied with a trickle feed, so as people suggest, prioritize building it someplace hot enough to hurt.

One fun example I discovered toying around with "Just what does it consider worth 'Green' anyways?" It would consider trying to building a thermal plant out of the water, indoors, as "Green" even if the fully built thermal plant lists a sad sack 24 degrees after, so I guess there can be some skewing which is just another reason to go for "Actually hot" rather than "But it was green"

Also while running off a crafted consumable, the decoy launcher for the Cyclops can be a fun time. Seems pretty hit or miss but hey, burns less power if you are not swimming in power cells.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 10, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

When I watched CrazyCephalopodas LP of it she turned on Silent running and then came back and couldnt figure out why she had no power.
I liked her stuff since she teaches aquatic stuff, but is no gamer and misses obvious stuff.
I love her discussions and informational tidbits though.

Also I enjoy watching others reactions to the Sunbeam fiasco.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 10, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

Also while running off a crafted consumable, the decoy launcher for the Cyclops can be a fun time. Seems pretty hit or miss but hey, burns less power if you are not swimming in power cells.

And the only thing in the way of you having a poo poo ton of power cells is time. Stock up! On those and decoys.

Then you'll be fine.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I like putting a foundation platform over thermal vents, so I can get a nice flat surface where I have room to pack in 5 or 6 thermal plants :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I like putting a foundation platform over thermal vents, so I can get a nice flat surface where I have room to pack in 5 or 6 thermal plants :unsmith:

This is a drat good idea.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

.... This would also make transmitters reaching a ring of plants a lot easier, wouldn't it?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Section Z posted:

.... This would also make transmitters reaching a ring of plants a lot easier, wouldn't it?

Yep! Leave a space for a transmitter, or just put it close to the foundation. Also makes it easier to follow the blue line back to your power generation area without getting lost, if it’s far from your base :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
How do the camera drones from the scanner room recharge?
Do scanner room range upgrades stack? I wouldn't have thought so, but it doesn't say it doesn't stack. EDIT: They do indeed stack.

Complications posted:

The noise will only attract nearby leviathans, but if you run at flank speed for too long the heat will build up and set your sub on fire. The devs really don't like people moving fast with the Cyclops.

Too long is apparently around 30 seconds.

It's a bit of a pity that the Cyclops doesn't seem to have a standard fabricator on board, but oh well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 10, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I usually go with 1 speed and 3 range.
But it really depends on where you put it, 3 range isnt always needed in some tight places.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

How do the camera drones from the scanner room recharge?
Do scanner room range upgrades stack? I wouldn't have thought so, but it doesn't say it doesn't stack.

Too long is apparently around 30 seconds.

It's a bit of a pity that the Cyclops doesn't seem to have a standard fabricator on board, but oh well.

build one :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

My friend you can install one and have all of your dreams come true!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Make sure to install a power cell charger so your Cyclops never runs out of energy!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

You can build things in the Cyclops. Like more storage, fabricators, whatever can physically fit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Make sure to install a power cell charger so your Cyclops never runs out of energy!

Oh, you.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Sweet! I actually also brought on board 3 additional power cells because I definitely don't want it to run out of power. I've now installed a Fabricator, Power and Battery Cell chargers and one locker to store gear in case I need to switch into heat or radiation protection gear. ...But maybe the power cell charger doesn't make sense on a ship powered by power cells, so I should install that on a base powered by something other than power cells. EDIT: Moved the chargers to my moonpool base at "Sunbeam Island", and added a third solar charger, a bioreactor, and a scanner room.

I was almost about to start complaining about grinding for resources, but that suit module that lets you see the feed from the scanner rooms really helps with scavenging a lot.

Using the Scanner Room, I actually managed to find a wreck very near the start which I had missed which contains both parts of a Stasis rifle, which "freezes physical objects in place". Does that work on enemies or is it just a "stop this fan from-" Ohhhhhh. I have to try something now.

(EDIT: It works on enemies.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 10, 2021