Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Odd, search I did didn't have anything before MID.

Did someone erase it from the archive memory, or was it just a really bad search? I will go with the pointless conspiracy option because it's wackier.

you're the only one who knows what site they searched or how they searched it, so if you're too ashamed to reveal the details i'm gonna go with "it was a really bad search"

like, do you not remember the Emergent Ultimatum decks at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

goferchan posted:

Day/Night actually will be sticking around in Crimson Vow, so there's a returning one for you. I agree that I miss that aspect of block releases, for all their other issues, and wouldn't mind them giving some new mechanics more room to breathe.

They were supposed to have unifying mechanics across blocks, like how zendikar, struxhavwn, and kaldheim all had MDFCs.
The Innistrad sets will have transform.
Maybe Kamigawa will too. Kamigawa was the pilot set for transform with their original flip cards like Bushi Tenderfoot, and Eryo, Saratomi Ascendant.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Odd, search I did didn't have anything before MID.

Did someone erase it from the archive memory, or was it just a really bad search? I will go with the pointless conspiracy option because it's wackier.
Which archive are you using? It might have deleted the previous standard because of rotation.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/standard-challenge-2021-08-22
Here's 14 decks.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I just lost a game of standard as mono G where my opponent was at 2 life with an empty board and went epiphany -> epiphany -> epiphany copied by iteration

They took no other actions during their extra turns

From 20 life I went to 18, 14, 6, dead

Maybe not the play pattern you want standard to be based around

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Squinky v2.0 posted:

They took no other actions during their extra turns

From 20 life I went to 18, 14, 6, dead

Do you mean 14, 8, dead? Just play some creatures with reach Kappa

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Simone Magus posted:

do players even want new mechanics all the time?

yes, unquestionably

when there were sets without new mechanics, players would be disappointed

when there were sets with new mechanics but the mechanic wasn't actively pointed out with a keyword, like "gating" in planeshift, players would be disappointed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can’t believe how shamelessly WotC ripped off Yugioh by printing a bird card that makes the opponent never draw a card again

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jabor posted:

like, do you not remember the Emergent Ultimatum decks at all?

It's kind of odd looking at Emergent Ultimatum lists, they were attempted from IKO's launch. KLD gave it not just Alrund's Epiphany, but also Valki and Vorinclex for big spells to land to go with Kiora Bests the Sea God and Sea Gate Restoration. Since they were all Yorion lists too, it's easy to include a few extra big targets. Epiphany is the perfect piece to force awful awful choices with 13-14 mana advantage and immense board position.

Now, UR(b) lists just take a bunch of turns with Lier and Galvanic Iteration. 4 turns in a row feels different than an extra turn and Vorinclex is mashing your dick & balls. Specifically, bad. It's crushing and you kind of hate everyone as a strategy goes off. I think that's why Epiphany was a part of Ultimatum lists, and now that the strategy is casting it a bunch, it's a loving drag.

Lone Goat posted:

when there were sets with new mechanics but the mechanic wasn't actively pointed out with a keyword, like "gating" in planeshift, players would be disappointed

I remember Maro saying that was a weakness of Alara, that Bant, Grixis, and Jund had keywords but Esper and Naya didn't.

Temur's Ferocious was just an ability word for basically the same thing, but spelling it out does a lot to help communicate the theme.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can’t believe how shamelessly WotC ripped off Yugioh by printing a bird card that makes the opponent never draw a card again

Players have 8,000 life and 40 card decks, so a Yata-lock wasn't always lethal; it was easy to deck yourself out while trying to whittle down the opponent.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

yes, unquestionably

when there were sets without new mechanics, players would be disappointed

tbf if it had been called out people would just hate it for being "negative"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

It's kind of odd looking at Emergent Ultimatum lists, they were attempted from IKO's launch. KLD gave it not just Alrund's Epiphany, but also Valki and Vorinclex for big spells to land to go with Kiora Bests the Sea God and Sea Gate Restoration. Since they were all Yorion lists too, it's easy to include a few extra big targets. Epiphany is the perfect piece to force awful awful choices with 13-14 mana advantage and immense board position.
The reason the deck worked was because of Epiphany. If you choose Epiphany, they get a Tibalt with double the counters and a Vorinclex. If you don’t, they get two turns with Vorinclex swinging in for 6 or two turns of Tibalt activations. You almost ALWAYS chose Epiphany as one of the three cards because of how powerful it was.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
I have this horrible feeling that WotC is going to go "neither player in the Worlds final was playing Alrund's, so it doesn't deserve a ban :downs: "

(It'll be banned by Tuesday)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Might be a question with no good answer but what’s my best bet for getting back into (constructed) paper magic these days considering the last time I played IRL was… 2002. I’ve been playing on arena for a few months but I’d like to play in person again. Is my best option really just buying single cards? It’s intimidating when even a budget deck can run like $100. I wish somebody would just give me a ton of cards lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Might be a question with no good answer but what’s my best bet for getting back into (constructed) paper magic these days considering the last time I played IRL was… 2002. I’ve been playing on arena for a few months but I’d like to play in person again. Is my best option really just buying single cards? It’s intimidating when even a budget deck can run like $100. I wish somebody would just give me a ton of cards lol

yeah singles are best bet, unless you befriend a shop owner who will let you "rent" cards but then they call you at 10 pm on wednesday night and panically ask you to give them back that uro, they just got a buyer please pablo i need it yesterday

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Picking up a Commander precon is an option too, it just depends on what you're looking to do. People seem pretty high on the zombie precon from Midnight Hunt, so I picked one up because it seemed cool to me even though I have no idea if/when I'll actually play with it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

snyprmag posted:

My idea to fix the extra turn issue is to make it so you only get 1 extra turn per normal turn. So if you copied epiphany, you get extra birds but the turns wouldn't stack.

Only one extra turn? But what about Time Stretch!?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I have this horrible feeling that WotC is going to go "neither player in the Worlds final was playing Alrund's, so it doesn't deserve a ban :downs: "

(It'll be banned by Tuesday)

The winning deck played it?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

The winning deck played it?

It was in the winning deck but didn't get played once in the games in the finals, was sideboarded out or to a one of in the non game 1s.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Contact the stores or friends you plan to play at and see what everyone is playing. Find the formats you want to play and the location you want to play it at.
Then start targeting a deck you want to play, if it's constructed. And start building something you'll be ok to play. Then go play!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
now THAT'S some gambling

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Play kinda bad decks that you still have fun playing while losing, don't chase tier 1 nonsense if you're just playing FNM.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
That is 750$ to have a 1/20 chance to get selected for one of the three rare slots
Which will then end up consisting of two Islands and a Lifelace anyways

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you don’t want to play commander (like the other person suggested) there are also going to be pioneer challenger decks coming up soon. These look like a decent way to get into pioneer initially. This relies on you having a pioneer community - which I know not everyone does, but the decks seem to be functional pioneer decks, and I am sure they can be upgraded, but will also let you start at much cheaper than $100.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/pioneer-challenger-2021-decklists

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fritzler posted:

If you don’t want to play commander (like the other person suggested) there are also going to be pioneer challenger decks coming up soon. These look like a decent way to get into pioneer initially. This relies on you having a pioneer community - which I know not everyone does, but the decks seem to be functional pioneer decks, and I am sure they can be upgraded, but will also let you start at much cheaper than $100.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/pioneer-challenger-2021-decklists

Oh wow that’s actually not a bad idea, there’s a local store that does pioneer on Saturdays apparently and these come out on Friday. Thanks for the tip!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

This is from the lower bracket semifinal top 4 but just a pretty crazy topdeck here. I made it just a normal URL link in case you still don't know who won or whatever https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1172936398?t=3h18m12s

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 11, 2021

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oh wow that’s actually not a bad idea, there’s a local store that does pioneer on Saturdays apparently and these come out on Friday. Thanks for the tip!

You should probably contact the store to see if they’re actually firing Pioneer events. My LGS has Pioneer on Sundays, but to my knowledge, no one has shown up for it in the 4ish months I’ve been playing there. I think Modern has taken the interest of a lot of people here, so it’s always good to confirm before spending money on a format that people may not actually be playing locally.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Great. I agree on confirming, but I know my store does have a decent pioneer community. FYI they come out on oct 15 and look to be $50 on Amazon.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you show up at the time they expect a tourney to fire, very likely someone there will have a deck to loan you.

Back when my LGS was regularly firing Legacy, if I got a random Sunday afternoon with nothing going on I'd just show up and ask the regulars if they had something they didn't mind me playing. They were usually just happy for warm bodies and I'd usually end up 3-2 or 2-3ing with someone's Aether Vial deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't believe good players are putting the new bad tracker in their decks. It's awful.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Boros Weapons & Warriors is a fun budget deck I was running in the Standard 22 queue, and it's pretty cheap in paper iirc. The only card over a dollar is Maul of the Skyclaves, and most of the rares are things like Nahiri and Kargan Intimidator. The list hasn't been updated for MID yet, though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks everyone, I’ll definitely check with the store to see if pioneer actually gets traffic. The challenger decks actually look pretty deece

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Strong Sauce posted:

This is from the lower bracket semifinal top 4 but just a pretty crazy topdeck here. I made it just a normal URL link in case you still don't know who won or whatever https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1172936398?t=3h18m12s

The difference between the pros and me is that I never would have seen the line of how to survive even WITH the 1/60 topdeck that he needed, and doing the 1 damage to one of the beefier creatures and relying on the triggers of the dragon to kill the smaller ones. Dude needed not just the topdeck but to play it out perfectly to survive. Impressive stuff.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm sure thread regulars know all about this, but I just saw it for the first time and thought it was hilarious.

https://twitter.com/the_binp/status/1447397745623457796

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sinteres posted:

I'm sure thread regulars know all about this, but I just saw it for the first time and thought it was hilarious.

Its a hoot.

https://www.gawker.com/i-won-a-5-000-magic-the-gathering-tournament-on-shroo-1705333524

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Well it look like 3 weeks for this standard format to become completely miserable lol

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

mcmagic posted:

Well it look like 3 weeks for this standard format to become completely miserable lol

why is it miserable

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

cml is doing well and got married last week. i'd have gone but travelling to south africa during plague times wasn't really on the table.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/innistrad-crimson-vow-product-delays-affecting-north-america-2021-10-11
Looks like Crimson Vow is having product delays in addition to spoiler delays.

Also it looks like spoilers won't start for two more weeks. The 27th.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Been enjoying Ikawa’s mono white list on ladder, umm epiphany got to go tho

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

HootTheOwl posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/innistrad-crimson-vow-product-delays-affecting-north-america-2021-10-11
Looks like Crimson Vow is having product delays in addition to spoiler delays.

Also it looks like spoilers won't start for two more weeks. The 27th.
...good? Lets me spend more time drafting / collecting MID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kalvanoo posted:

why is it miserable

It’s standard