Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, hard to say, especially without all the other income streams involved being known. (Like, this is not covering any donations or sponsorships or other payments CR is getting, and while we can look at OP’s Kickstarter income, we don’t have their sales numbers.)

That is definitely the part of why I think the industry is so interesting. Looking at Onyx Paths kickstarters is something but even that has some element of physical production costs that are not really a thing for Critical Role. As one of the biggest non D&D companies with a pretty wide product line, they have to be one of the biggest players in the space but how big is that really?

Would John Harper have been better off financially being a twitch streamer rather than creating the influential Blades in the Dark? What about people who do even less notable new games?

For all the talk about how trad games creators should be paid more for their labor (and they should) I wonder how possible that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Would John Harper have been better off financially being a twitch streamer rather than creating the influential Blades in the Dark? What about people who do even less notable new games?

No, because John Harper doesn't have the necessary personality traits or skills to be a successful full-time Twitch streamer. No knock on John, he seems like a nice guy, but he's been on Twitch quite a bit in interviews and streamed games, so you can tell what his "I'm on camera" persona is like and it's not anywhere near energetic enough to clinch the "top 1% of twitch" streaming position. If he did have those traits and skills, sure, he'd almost certainly be better off financially as an internet celebrity.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah, these folks are actors, of course they're going to sound great and look great on camera. That poo poo is a skill, just like game design, and if you don't have it, you're just not going to be as successful streaming as the people who do.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kestral posted:

No, because John Harper doesn't have the necessary personality traits or skills to be a successful full-time Twitch streamer. No knock on John, he seems like a nice guy, but he's been on Twitch quite a bit in interviews and streamed games, so you can tell what his "I'm on camera" persona is like and it's not anywhere near energetic enough to clinch the "top 1% of twitch" streaming position. If he did have those traits and skills, sure, he'd almost certainly be better off financially as an internet celebrity.

Even then, it's a gamble. Twitch is full of streamers who are energetic and have personality (good personality, even) and are simply never going to break it big in any sort of way, and maybe not even break it medium. https://twitter.com/Delethiel/status/1445786490995359744

This isn't meant as some dig at Critical Role in particular but a huge part of this sort of thing just comes down to being the one to catch lightning in a bottle.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Kai Tave posted:

This isn't meant as some dig at Critical Role in particular but a huge part of this sort of thing just comes down to being the one to catch lightning in a bottle.

100% accurate. The people who make it big on twitch have a magic combination of "right person" and "right place and time." If you have the "right person" part you can try to brute-force the rest, which is what most streamers have to do, but it's, uh, obviously not reliable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kestral posted:

100% accurate. The people who make it big on twitch have a magic combination of "right person" and "right place and time." If you have the "right person" part you can try to brute-force the rest, which is what most streamers have to do, but it's, uh, obviously not reliable.

It's so much just luck based on the algorithm loving you. Unless like the people at Critical Role, you have a fanbase of people from outside twitch or youtube and funneling them into that eco system.

Like Ninja just got turbo popular because he was a decently well known Halo/Pubg player who started playing the Fortnite BR early enough, when people were looking for a streamer playing it and the twitch algo pushed people into his stream. He was then able to leverage that popularity to get a stream with Drake, and then yeah.

It's so much about just hoping the Algorithm helps you. And now Twitch wants your fans to help decide who the algo pushes via giving money to twitch. It's real loving dumb.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kai Tave posted:

I think that the pastebin has been taken down now but I'd be interested to see if anyone has done the Gini Coefficient. Most creative platforms end up having worse economic inequality than two or three dictatorships combined.

Tsilkani posted:

Or it could be that they're getting to hang out with people they consider friends and tell a fun story together, even if they have to occasionally dip into lovely rules. Plenty of people out there say they're having fun in games of D&D, and they're not all getting paid like this. Yes, they're having fun in spite of the rules rather than because of the rules, but jumping immediately to 'they're only enjoying this because they get paid' is real weird.

Well, I don't think you can say that hanging out with your friends, and hanging out with your friends and getting $9m for doing it, wouldn't be intrinsically different. Also as Kestral said, there's a survivorship bias involved since people appearing energetic and engaged are always more popular.

And seriously gently caress that "if he had those traits and skills he'd be better off streaming.." thing that leaves young people in education thinking that developing those traits and skills is all that matters.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

And seriously gently caress that "if he had those traits and skills he'd be better off streaming.." thing that leaves young people in education thinking that developing those traits and skills is all that matters.
When you want to be in a business where people watch what you're doing on a streaming service, those traits and skills are extremely important.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

dwarf74 posted:

When you want to be in a business where people watch what you're doing on a streaming service, those traits and skills are extremely important.

Yeah, in context it was "Successful and talented RPG designer made the right call designing RPGs that are now licensed for a TV deal, rather than becoming a twitch streamer playing other people's RPGs because he probably didn't have the chops to be a twitch star."
It's analogous to "I think it's good that surgeon stuck with medical school, even if the top football player makes more money, I don't think they could make it in the NFL."

In no way is that advocating kids stop studying and exclusively aim for a football career.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Coolness Averted posted:

In no way is that advocating kids stop studying and exclusively aim for a football career.

Exactly force your kid to be left handed, and then teach him how to pitch.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit never mind

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Looks like Critical role employs 32 different people so the money is not just going to a handful of people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MuscaDomestica posted:

Looks like Critical role employs 32 different people so the money is not just going to a handful of people.

Hey, you don't know how big my hand is!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A shitload of big streamers were astroturfed by their parents hiring marketing companies, always keep in mind.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of big streamers were astroturfed by their parents hiring marketing companies, always keep in mind.

Citation needed? Not that I think it's impossible or untrue, but it also sounds like the type of thing people say without attribution because its so plausibly nefarious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Magnetic North posted:

Citation needed? Not that I think it's impossible or untrue, but it also sounds like the type of thing people say without attribution because its so plausibly nefarious.

PewDiePie is the big example.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You have 6 fingers?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most of the internet is fake and botted, isn't it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's always a truism that those who are rich at a thing started off wealthy. If you don't value your liver, you could play a lethal drinking game with taking a shot every time one of those clickbait articles says 'How DID this person manage to buy a mansion on a 40 hour a week job!?' the answer is 'they come from a lot of wealth already and the job was working for their family.'

It's very 'say the line, Bart.'

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I love those articles about how families who make $250-500,000 a year are "barely scraping by," complete with budgets. And it always includes like $40,000 for childcare, $20,000 more for private school, another $20,000 in donations to their alma mater so their kids get in, maximum contributions to 401ks and IRAs, the costs of buying a $1-3 million dollar home, a few thousand for vacations...and they still haven't paid off their grad school loans.

VVV I've seen a lot of those articles, but their parents bought the home. The secret to retiring before 40? A free house.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 7, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
This inspiring young person scrimped and saved to buy their own home, which they then rented out until their tenants had purchased them one or more additional homes. Now they're moving in for the first time!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I love those articles about how families who make $250-500,000 a year are "barely scraping by," complete with budgets. And it always includes like $40,000 for childcare, $20,000 more for private school, another $20,000 in donations to their alma mater so their kids get in, maximum contributions to 401ks and IRAs, the costs of buying a $1-3 million dollar home, a few thousand for vacations...and they still haven't paid off their grad school loans.

VVV I've seen a lot of those articles, but their parents bought the home. The secret to retiring before 40? A free house.

The best ones have a vacation line item for weekend getaways and another one for full scale vacations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
glad to see cr raking in bucks. enjoy the product and the cast seem like solid sorts. cheers

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Canadian and/or US Postal Service has eaten the physical Diana Jones award:

https://www.polygon.com/22714697/diana-jones-award-history-lost-in-mail

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll keep an eye out for it when it inevitably shows up again.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's big(by's)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

How the hell did they think it was a good idea not to ship it with tracking at the very least?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Midjack posted:

How the hell did they think it was a good idea not to ship it with tracking at the very least?

I don’t even know if it’s possible to ship a USPS package without tracking.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I've never shipped USPS without getting a tracking number but I think you can get insurance? Or special care tracking or something? Surely there's a "seriously don't lose this one" option for extra $$$, right?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Looking at the ugly thing, I don't think it's actually a loss, but rather a win for all future winners not to have to receive this blight upon our eyes?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

zachol posted:

I've never shipped USPS without getting a tracking number but I think you can get insurance? Or special care tracking or something? Surely there's a "seriously don't lose this one" option for extra $$$, right?
You can either get things shipped with insurance (up to 5k) or registered (insurance+ up to 50k). Or there's certified packages/mail which have those green barcodes and a return receipt on them, which is one of tbe cheapest options. Registered and certified do not go into the standard shipping and package queue (in...theory, sometimes I get certified mail mixed in with my plant-sorted flats) because they're Important and instead are mostly sent between clerk offices that sort and document these things before delivering them in to offices where they're kept in the registration cage where things like truck keys and gas cards are kept and then you sign off on receiving them before you deliver. I get a lot ot certifieds and insurance I think is just an invisible status applied to a package just in case but registered mail is "if someone fucks this they may get fired" because there's a wide variety of important poo poo mailed registered. Everyone who handles a registered piece of mail must sign off on receiving it, including the recipient, because the paper trail has to be that exact and thorough, it's taken very seriously.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

*laughs in Shadowrun fan*

Welcome to CGL!

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Midjack posted:

Reading the article, it was shipped from Canada to the US. International Mail, in attempts to save the mailer money, have non-trackable options available. For the USPS, if your package is 4 pounds or under, it can be send First Class International, which can only be "officially" tracked before it's passed off to the destination country. Afterwards, it depends on country. I've heard some customers say they can still track it, other can't. I'm guessing Canada Mail has something similiar.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

admanb posted:

I don’t even know if it’s possible to ship a USPS package without tracking.

I know for sure if you ship something internationally via USPS, you don't get tracking (because they hand it off to their counterpart in the destination country midway through).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leraika posted:

I know for sure if you ship something internationally via USPS, you don't get tracking (because they hand it off to their counterpart in the destination country midway through).

Going US to Canada you do get tracking. If I order something using USPS I can just put the USPS tracking number in Canada Post’s website and I will get the results on both sides of the border.

Not sure if you can do a similar thing Canada to US though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Midjack posted:

Not wanting to pay extra for the "please be careful and track this" thing and assuming nothing would go wrong, except this time it did, I guess?

Mr.Misfit posted:

Looking at the ugly thing, I don't think it's actually a loss, but rather a win for all future winners not to have to receive this blight upon our eyes?

Honestly, it's a crusty meme older than pretty much anyone who would receive the award at this point. The Indiana Jones RPG was notoriously bad when it came out, but that was decades ago now and it might not even crack the top 5 of notoriously bad RPGs nowadays. I don't totally agree with comparing the Diana Jones award to the Academy Awards, but they certainly share an insular selection committee setups and lots of weak progressive gesticulating.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Halloween Jack posted:

If you have that kind of money, not paying of the loans is good financial sense.

The interest on them is probably half what you make keeping that money in an index fund instead.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Liquid Communism posted:

If you have that kind of money, not paying of the loans is good financial sense.

The interest on them is probably half what you make keeping that money in an index fund instead.

Interest on a mortgage? You're not making that money, it's getting paid to the lender or investor. You can use your mortgage interest payments as a tax deduction though, which is why rich people will get interest only-loans on multi-million dollar homes to help round out their end-of year tax filings.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Interest on a mortgage? You're not making that money, it's getting paid to the lender or investor. You can use your mortgage interest payments as a tax deduction though, which is why rich people will get interest only-loans on multi-million dollar homes to help round out their end-of year tax filings.

That's what he means, the money you save on interest by paying off the mortgage is less than the money you -earn- by putting money in an index fund because it has a better rate. The fact that the two are opposite directions doesn't change that you make a profit. I'm in the same position, my last student loan has a lower interest rate than I'm earning elsewhere, so I'm just doing minimum payments until such time as that changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Nuns with Guns posted:

Honestly, it's a crusty meme older than pretty much anyone who would receive the award at this point. The Indiana Jones RPG was notoriously bad when it came out, but that was decades ago now and it might not even crack the top 5 of notoriously bad RPGs nowadays. I don't totally agree with comparing the Diana Jones award to the Academy Awards, but they certainly share an insular selection committee setups and lots of weak progressive gesticulating.

As an additional data point, I just assumed it was related to British fantasy author Diana Wynne Jones for the longest time.