Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't give a gently caress at this point. Everybody has been given their chance and if you are still waiting on your vaccination don't attend a venue or gently caress up by going to a friend's house or whatever. Easy. If you haven't had it you can't work either so big shrug from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah Vic will hit the hump soon and it'll be downhill, the horse race should be cancelled but not because of covid. But if you touch the public holiday there will be blood in the streets. :arghfist:

Konomex posted:

Apparently a victim of sleeping with his senior staffer (23 year old Barnaby's Joyces daughter) and also a media advisor (not related to any senior nationals MPs). I don't think he can blame his marriage disintegrating on jordies, just on his own penchant for too much porking.

When will Shank's depraved so-called 'reporting' end?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Lol looking forward to school being closed every third week due to an infectious case, seems like everyone has really thought this through

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If we're moving into a brave new world where cases are decoupled from hospitalisations/deaths then there also has to be some rejigging of the self-isolation protocols right? There's no way we can function if people still have to isolate for two weeks if we end up recording 10,000+ cases a day (which presumably we will, or at least that's how much it will be circulating even if people don't get tested)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Like, smug Anglophilic oval office that he is, Bevan Shields has a piece today about what life in the UK is like and putting aside all the other issues with this, and how IMO it's not actually an optimal outcome but... presumably this is what the future looks like for better or worse? COVID becomes a flu that kills the elderly and merely inconveniences the rest of us, and who the hell bothers to get officially tested for the flu?

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/thankfully-the-brave-new-post-vaccination-world-actually-feels-much-like-the-old-20211010-p58ynm.html

Also lol though:

quote:

NSW and Victoria also know the joy of being released from lockdown but Monday’s reopening in Sydney and Melbourne’s later this month will be the first time Australia’s two most-populous states loosen restrictions with the safety net of mass vaccination coverage.

As someone who has experienced this for several months now, trust me when I say life snaps back quite rapidly.

Thanks for the insight from the Centre of the Universe but everybody in Melbourne has already experienced this and actually last time around we went back to normal normal, not a constant risk assessment about whether it's a good idea to dine indoors or whether everybody attending this dinner party has been vaccinated etc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

freebooter posted:

If we're moving into a brave new world where cases are decoupled from hospitalisations/deaths then there also has to be some rejigging of the self-isolation protocols right? There's no way we can function if people still have to isolate for two weeks if we end up recording 10,000+ cases a day (which presumably we will, or at least that's how much it will be circulating even if people don't get tested)

They're considering cutting isolation to one week is my understanding. I was reading about Massachusetts the other day because it's somewhat comparable to Vic in a few ways and their covid deaths in double vaccinated people are .006%. Sounds good to me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange posted:

i dont think anyone here does anymore. just kill us all and be done with it.

mood

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ha, Massachusetts has been my go-to comparison for a while too, though I think we're probably above them in vaccines now.

I remember that article in the AFR the other day about the guy in Sydney getting COVID and his British friends being like "ah it's OK you'll just feel like poo poo for a few weeks." That doesn't sound good to me at all! I'll take it over ongoing lockdown, obviously, and it beats dying, obviously, but still seems like a pretty lovely new status quo if from now on we're all going to catch a flu-level disease every year that's still going to knock us for six even when we're vaccinated.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

JBP posted:

I don't give a gently caress at this point. Everybody has been given their chance and if you are still waiting on your vaccination don't attend a venue or gently caress up by going to a friend's house or whatever. Easy. If you haven't had it you can't work either so big shrug from me.

Unless you live in regional NSW like my friend who was only able to get their second jab last week despite trying since the very beginning to get jabbed with ANY vaccine including AZ.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm already eligible for a third jab, get on my level :smuggo:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

How do we know if we are eligible?

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

freebooter posted:

Ha, Massachusetts has been my go-to comparison for a while too, though I think we're probably above them in vaccines now.

I remember that article in the AFR the other day about the guy in Sydney getting COVID and his British friends being like "ah it's OK you'll just feel like poo poo for a few weeks." That doesn't sound good to me at all! I'll take it over ongoing lockdown, obviously, and it beats dying, obviously, but still seems like a pretty lovely new status quo if from now on we're all going to catch a flu-level disease every year that's still going to knock us for six even when we're vaccinated.

Throwing a sickie is going to become an art form. Companies will have to plan for everyone taking four weeks sick off a year for covid because they'll have no idea how sick you actually are.

"Cant believe I caught covid the day I got back from hols! Soz"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spookydonut posted:

Unless you live in regional NSW like my friend who was only able to get their second jab last week despite trying since the very beginning to get jabbed with ANY vaccine including AZ.

Cool well they are well ahead of deadlines for venues and mandatory workplace vaccinations. Good for them for being so diligent!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bowmore posted:

How do we know if we are eligible?

in my case: https://www.health.gov.au/news/atag...munocompromised

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thank you friend

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There was zero Covid in NSW at that time and absolutely no Delta risk

I would disagree as these kind of events do not do social distancing well, even with large venues and outdoors. I might consider Sydney as passable with the higher vaccination rate and less patrons.

It’s a good thing we’ll be 80% vaxxed then.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vic state govt vaccine passport is out tomorrow. Can't wait to see some drama at a venue and hurl invective from the sidelines.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

JBP posted:

Couldn't agree more. We aren't going back to 2019. Shits changed. We're the luckiest goddamn country on the earth where we get to skip the hard part and move straight to the best scenario of widespread vaccination and low case numbers.

Its not going to be easy but it's a loving pandemic. We won. Victory isn't great but hey, it's a loving pandemic. I want to be able to see my friends and live my drat life. If that means some rules I have to follow, sure. If it means locking myself away for another 100 days chasing the dragon than go gently caress yourself.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

How do you book it? I can't find info on that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I’m not sure if anyone is interested but there is a documentary on child protection in NSW called The Department that is a hard but interesting watch.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

Like, smug Anglophilic oval office that he is, Bevan Shields has a piece today about what life in the UK is like and putting aside all the other issues with this, and how IMO it's not actually an optimal outcome but... presumably this is what the future looks like for better or worse? COVID becomes a flu that kills the elderly and merely inconveniences the rest of us, and who the hell bothers to get officially tested for the flu?
Anyone who presents to hospital with cold or flu symptoms.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

JBP posted:

Cool well they are well ahead of deadlines for venues and mandatory workplace vaccinations. Good for them for being so diligent!

Skated in under the deadline but many people including roughly 50% of their employees and by their estimation about 50% of their customers will not.

My friend posted:

Tl;dr Under 40's had approximately a 2 week window to start their vaccination process to be fully vaccinated by now in this area, if they followed the official advice, and sfa people would have been able to get an appointment in time. And now they have to stay home so Sydney can go out.
Does anyone know when I can find out the timeline for government advice on vaccinations? As a regional area Under 40's here haven't had the same time to get double vaccinated as Sydney.. and if I am right about the times for the official health advice there may actually be proof that under 40's in non-hotspot regional areas are being discriminated against on the basis of age as everything is based on Sydney, which had different health advice in regards to access to vaccinations for under 40's.
Can anyone help with me getting official information in the timelines? I'll be contacting NSW Health and all the local medical centers as well to see when they started offering Astrazenica to under 40's, because it was well and truly months after it was offered to under 40's in Sydney, and we were only recently able to get Pfizer. Unfortunately, due to supply of Pfizer going to Sydney there has been a significant backlog on Pfizer appointments.
Is it ok that under 40's must have two doses by now, if they haven't been given as much opportunity as those under 40 in Sydney? I'm deeply curious as to what the time margins are here as some have been lucky enough to get both doses (including myself, who actually went against the health advice at the time) but many of my friends under 40 haven't had their second shot despite all efforts to get one.
This isn't about Vaccine hesitancy, but simple access and time. Can anyone help?

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 10, 2021

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

bowmore posted:

I’m not sure if anyone is interested but there is a documentary on child protection in NSW called The Department that is a hard but interesting watch.

Where can one find this?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aware posted:

Where can one find this?
Ah yeah sorry should have at least provided a link

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1949954115625/the-department-australia-uncovered

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kazzah posted:

John Bacheloro

Pork Stafferlaro

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

yoloer420 posted:

How do you book it? I can't find info on that.

You can just get it from your GP or pharmacy if you're eligible. They're recommending you get an mRNA vaccine for dose 3.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

abigserve posted:

Lol looking forward to school being closed every third week due to an infectious case, seems like everyone has really thought this through

Schools will no longer need to close for a single case of covid. Testing of close contacts and returning to class when they receive negative results.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Anyone have an estimate of numbers (cases, hospitalisations and deaths) in NSW once opening back up at 70%, 80% and 90%? Curious as to what to expect. I've got a haircut booked tomorrow but will be holding off on the gym for a couple of weeks at least...

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Lots of healthcare workers on social media reminding people that being less cautious is optional, not compulsory.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Does anyone know what the go is with the vaccinated economy trial thing in regional vic wrt unvaccinated kids? Are we effectively considered unvaccinated if our 2 year old is with us? Not that we're going to take him to any crowded events!

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

go_banana posted:

Anyone have an estimate of numbers (cases, hospitalisations and deaths) in NSW once opening back up at 70%, 80% and 90%? Curious as to what to expect. I've got a haircut booked tomorrow but will be holding off on the gym for a couple of weeks at least...

I think the Doherty modelling had some stuff but I don't know if it's state-specific.

If you're double vaxxed then you shouldn't feel the need to hold off, unless you don't want to risk getting a symptomatic infection.

Lolie posted:

Lots of healthcare workers on social media reminding people that being less cautious is optional, not compulsory.

I mean, sure...but people aren't going to not see their families etc. There is no sense keeping intense restrictions with massive vaccination rates.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Tomberforce posted:

Are we effectively considered unvaccinated if our 2 year old is with us? Not that we're going to take him to any crowded events!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that as your two year old us not eligible that it doesn't count. That said, consider if you want your two year old to get covid or not.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

ColtMcAsskick posted:

I want to be able to see my friends and live my drat life. If that means some rules I have to follow, sure. If it means locking myself away for another 100 days chasing the dragon than go gently caress yourself.

When did the lockdown rules mandate using heroin? Things must really be getting spicy in Victoria.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

yoloer420 posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that as your two year old us not eligible that it doesn't count. That said, consider if you want your two year old to get covid or not.

You should also consider that children are highly protected against COVID without vaccinations.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

StrangeThing posted:

You should also consider that children are highly protected against COVID without vaccinations.

Of course, so the probability of severe adverse effects is lower. This doesn't mean there is no risk involved.

Children have been hospitalised and have died from covid. It's important to consider the risks even if they are comparatively low.

Edit: Ah, you're the "let er rip" poster. Pretend I posted something insulting to you, maybe I said ivermectin doesn't cure covid or something.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 10, 2021

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

yoloer420 posted:

Edit: Ah, you're the "let er rip" poster. Pretend I posted something insulting to you, maybe I said ivermectin doesn't cure covid or something.

Huh? Citation needed.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

StrangeThing posted:

Huh? Citation needed.

Here is one. There are lots of reputable sources out there explaining not to eat horse paste though.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

yoloer420 posted:

Here is one. There are lots of reputable sources out there explaining not to eat horse paste though.

I've never been a "let her rip" poster. I support the Victorian roadmap which is hardly that.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

StrangeThing posted:

I've never been a "let her rip" poster. I support the Victorian roadmap which is hardly that.

I'm glad to hear you're not in favour of "let er rip". Your post history tells a story about opposing restrictions, specifically border controls. Including misstatements about human rights legislation -- for which there are public health exemptions. It isn't a difficult leap to connect "border restrictions are bad" to "let er rip" given that border controls are indeed the primary way Australia has been minimising the impact of covid.

In WA the biggest impact I'm dealing with right now is that all the tourist spots are booked solid. I'd like for that to remain my biggest covid related issue for as long as is feasible.

Edit: the biggest non-covid issue I'm dealing with is the hospital system. Last week when I needed emergency surgery there were no beds available in both public and private facilities. I spent the night in a day surgery ward at a private facility as a result. We're hosed in WA without covid, with it... gently caress.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

StrangeThing posted:

Oh well, that's all ok then! Nothing to worry about!

My kids childcare is now a total Tier 1 site. And it should have been listed 2 weeks ago and only got listed this morning. Everyone who visited the site for the last 2 weeks now has to be tested immediately and self isolate for 14 days.

I called the hotline and they said the website's down and someone will call back in 30 minutes. Assuming the website is correct that the whole site is T1, they will declare myself and my family have all visited it and we now go into lockdown. In a day...or two...someone will call about assistance as now we can't work.

And my 4 year old just cracked the case of the iPad.