Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah duke on switch doesn’t feel amazing to play. It’s a decent port otherwise. Worth the €5 or whatever i paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

The Deus Ex talk made me remember... it's weird they aren't making a remaster edition, given how trendy they are now (from top of my head: Doom, Quake, GTAs, Blade, Spyro, CoD MW, Halo, Crash, REs, etc).

I think the plan was for the Adam Jensen games to lead into a remake, but Mankind Divided put the series back to sleep for awhile.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DX is one of those games where any remake/remaster more extensive than just doing the minimum to make the original work on modern computer is gonna cause a poo poo storm, because the original game is both kind of ugly and busted and also deeply beloved because of, and not despite, this. Aka why Morrowind is on schedule to get a fan expansion bigger than the original game and also a port into one or more different games’ engines before it gets an official redux.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

skasion posted:

DX is one of those games where any remake/remaster more extensive than just doing the minimum to make the original work on modern computer is gonna cause a poo poo storm, because the original game is both kind of ugly and busted and also deeply beloved because of, and not despite, this. Aka why Morrowind is on schedule to get a fan expansion bigger than the original game and also a port into one or more different games’ engines before it gets an official redux.

I’d want them to go the route they took with the Quake remaster. Give the options of having some things cleaned up that still look faithful to the original. Maybe toss in the PS2 content as a bonus.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd actually love a Doom/Doom2/Final Doom/Doom64 pack using D64's lighting effects and soundtrack vibes, maybe higher quality sprites but closer to classic doom's designs, just a good continuity in design between those games. Include the ssg in final doom also.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'd actually love a Doom/Doom2/Final Doom/Doom64 pack using D64's lighting effects and soundtrack vibes, maybe higher quality sprites but closer to classic doom's designs, just a good continuity in design between those games. Include the ssg in final doom also.

The PS1 Doom is partially that. There are things to make the game play more like it on pc, I believe.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't know I wanted this, but I do now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

skasion posted:

in the scheme of things the dx11 renderer is more (or at least as) advanced as the quake port in terms of lighting, it's just that the fatal flaw of fan mods is that the "upgraded" models are inevitably fairly poo poo and though the engine itself now supports ambient occlusion, tesselation, screen space reflections, etc now someone has to actually rebuild the levels to make use of that stuff and make it look good, and either those just don't exist (like now), or they nearly universally suck

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Does Female JC get told off for going into the Men's toilets? I need my private space!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Does Female JC get told off for going into the Men's toilets? I need my private space!

Yep, they added and voiced a new UNATCO trooper in the toilets for JUST that reason.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The attention to detail is amazing

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Her password wasn't changed to "bionicwoman", immersion ruined

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Two Owls posted:

Wait, wasn't? Boo. There even was a Bionic Woman. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/TheBionicWoman

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

site posted:

it's just that the fatal flaw of fan mods is that the "upgraded" models are inevitably fairly poo poo

I've been dipping into the Deus Ex Revision mod on Steam lately and while the updated weapon / robot models look good, the character models are hilariously bad. The UNATCO troopers have been given huge doll-like anime eyes with makeup.

Thankfully it's impressively modular and you can enable and disable which models you'd like.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Two Owls posted:

This sounds like a bug you should report to them, tbh.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Extremely baller rear end looking Doom mod Doom Fighters is out now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWiJztMAzxo

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-fighters/downloads/doom-fighters

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:thatsrad:

drat, how have I not heard of that

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Lemon-Lime posted:

This sounds like a bug you should report to them, tbh.

Ah. I mentioned it in their Discord, and I'd forgotten it's said verbally to you (by either Janice or Alex, depending on which order you do things). Man->woman is way more grief to change than the mister->miss and guy->gal swaps they've done.

I did chuckle at the "UNATCO policy is to use 'sir' as a gender-neutral address" addition. Nice save, everyone!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

site posted:

it's just that the fatal flaw of fan mods is that the "upgraded" models are inevitably fairly poo poo

I played the Silent Threat expansion for FreeSpace for the first time via the fan remake and you go have to use their redone models and even though they're technically better I think they look worse than the old rear end models. Also they seemed to fix legit issues with the plot and mission structure of the original but the difficulty scaling is super out of whack one mission is pretty much all up to the luck of the draw in how well your AI squadmates do at one point.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

...are the Silent Threat: Reborn models notably worse than the other redone ones?

I didn't think there was a single person on Earth who preferred the original models. :psyduck:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyOIH2tzJc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

...are the Silent Threat: Reborn models notably worse than the other redone ones?

I didn't think there was a single person on Earth who preferred the original models. :psyduck:

I do. They didn't really capture the original look for a lot of the ships and they have an odd shininess to their textures that a lot of amateur models have. Some models did look better like Typhons.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 11, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/RevaeRavus/status/1447582783522570245

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm very glad those demo sounds didn't stick.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

This is sick. I haven't been able to get it running with Crispy Doom but it turns out that's not a huge deal since it comes packaged with a custom build of GZDoom that has several customizable video setting modes with binds on the F8 - F12 keys that range from pure 320x200 vanilla to modern GZDoom default (I can't lie, textyre filtering actually looks pretty cool with these sprites/textures, or at least not as aggressively bad as Doom). I don't know if the GZDoom lighting was present in the free wad since I only played it with Crispy Doom but it looks fantastic here, particularly on those floaty exploding boys where their sprites were textured with that ball of fire beneath them lighting up their underside. They look fantastic floating down a dark corridor, so do the floating heads when their projectiles light up their ugly mugs in the darkness.

The shotgun firing rate is significantly faster now making it much more enjoyable to use. It might still feel a little sluggish for some people and I honestly can't see a difference in the other weapons. The new enemies aren't much to write about, they're different enough but I can't see them shaking things up at all. I'm already liking episode 4 a whole lot, the new maps have variety and seem grander in scale but it's all still very much in line with the original episodes and the old school sensibilities they were built with. If you didn't like Rekkr, nothing here is going to bring you around. It's more high quality Rekkr for those who did, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i haven't had a chance to look into it yet but i enjoyed rekkr a lot, so if the paid version is basically that but polished up more and with more content then i'll be happy to throw a few bucks their way

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

i haven't had a chance to look into it yet but i enjoyed rekkr a lot, so if the paid version is basically that but polished up more and with more content then i'll be happy to throw a few bucks their way

It's also about 30% off right now too so good time to grab it (granted it's only a difference of about $2 but still)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groovelord Neato posted:

I do. They didn't really capture the original look for a lot of the ships and they have an odd shininess to their textures that a lot of amateur models have. Some models did look better like Typhons.

Thinking about this a little more, the Vasudan ships do have more of an uncanny valley problem than the others, and they are a little on the shiny side (though I don't know how much of that is "amateur" and how much of that is "this is just what you get when you throw that much brass into a PBR renderer"). The GTA ships are solid, though, and the Shivan ones are great. :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ModernVintageG/status/1447961640801034250

quote:

Quake "Next-Gen" updates just went live. These are free upgrades for existing owners:

Xbox Series X|S
- 4K maximum resolution
- 120 FPS
- Play Anywhere support

PlayStation 5
- 4K maximum resolution
- 120 FPS
- DualSense and integrated speaker support

Nice

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Important! Does Trent's voice going "hup" come out the dualsense?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Sadly, no. :(

But the gun sounds actually sound pretty decent coming from the controller speaker, which is neat.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

We explicitly blocked that sound given the controller can only play one sound at a time it would cause interruptions way too much (and was too repetitive).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I noticed there's not an FPS choice in Quake on PS5-- if my TV can't do 120hz at 4k (it locks down to 1440p at 120hz which the PS5 can't do) how will it work on my TV?

The guns sound really great coming from the dual sense, and it gives the music some room to breathe on the regular speakers, pretty cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You need to set your PS5 to output 1080p

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

RichterIX posted:

I noticed there's not an FPS choice in Quake on PS5-- if my TV can't do 120hz at 4k (it locks down to 1440p at 120hz which the PS5 can't do) how will it work on my TV?

It's picked automatically from your output. If your display is only 60hz or you've set it as such in the system settings, it will internally just do 60FPS. Same with Xbox Series.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Beat the Overload DLC (a little mixed on it, some real obnoxious difficulty spikes here and there, but still mostly good) and playing Quake stuff now. Which is considered the good X-pac, Scourge or Dissolution? Because I'm halfway through the former and enjoying it a lot.

E: I say that and then they immediately start hiding those stupid floating mines around every corner

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 13, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mordja posted:

Beat the Overload DLC (a little mixed on it, some real obnoxious difficulty spikes here and there, but still mostly good) and playing Quake stuff now. Which is considered the good X-pac, Scourge or Dissolution? Because I'm halfway through the former and enjoying it a lot.

Scourge felt more like a modern game in that the levels felt more related, Dissolution is more like original Quake itself in that it's pretty disjointed and dreamlike. I remember enjoying Scourge more, but both were good. I did take a break in between them.

I liked both of them a lot more than the Q2 expansions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mordja posted:

Scourge>Machine>Dissolution>Past imo

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Rocket Pan posted:

We explicitly blocked that sound given the controller can only play one sound at a time it would cause interruptions way too much (and was too repetitive).

it is always wild, to me, how various peripherals arbitrarily decide on limitations that put them on par with the pc speaker era technologically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rocket Pan posted:

Surely that can be solved with a little console-side mixing

I want my grunting controller dammit