Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Is it possible to parry the chozo warrior's red melee attack? Not the lunge, the vertical slash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so, I impulse bought Dread for the same reason I always end up impulse buying Nintendo releases: they never loving go on sale so it's easier to justify just dropping $60 at release. however, I realized while it was downloading that while I have like played a bunch of Metroid games as rentals, I have never actually finished one, or even gotten more than halfway through really

in the past couple days, I played through Zero Mission and AM2R, both of which loving ruled. now I'm planning on playing Super and Fusion before moving on to Dread.

the one problem, though, is that I played AM2R instead of Samus Returns, and I have just learned Samus Returns introduces a ton of lore threads that all get used in Dread. I am, obviously, not particularly invested in Metroid lore, but concerned I'm gonna miss a bunch of story beats if I don't know the details of Samus Returns. is there any good lore recap video or writeup y'all can recommend? I'd almost be tempted to play Samus Returns, but it clocks in around 11-14 hours on HLTB which is pretty rough given all the other games I've mentioned are in the 5-8 range, so I feel like I should just figure out what happened in it

(if said videos/writeups could also cover the Prime trilogy and Other M that'd be neat, though my understanding is that parts of those are questionably canon, or, if canon, not really relevant to what's going on)

e: also how much space jumping do super metroid and metroid fusion have because after am2r my hands are ABSOLUTELY hosed

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Oxxidation posted:

but i do agree that all the one-way doors were a bad idea and made the endgame collectible hunt a miserable experience.

There's a closed thermal trapdoor at the beginning of Cataris that blocks off the area right to the lower left of the elevator forcing you to go the long way around to get back there. That's absolute bullshit, I can understand putting it there early on to path the player but at endgame it should be gone or at least destructible, there's no reason whatsoever for it to exist late in the game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Lollygagged a fair bit (just under 12 hours and still not 100% items), sometimes just taking in the scenery and also filling out those maps for no good reason other than "must paint map" and I enjoyed it a fair bit. E.M.M.I. sections were fine for me, occasionally cloaking momentarily for positioning but usually just getting them on the other side of me so I could start making a break for the next door. Occasionally had some trouble getting space jump to register but that's probably my controller - made the last boss more of a pain, though.

I managed to pull off one of the more pointless sequence breaks on my own. That is, getting Cross Bombs before Screw Attack. You have to make a really tight shinespark out of the tube in the ceiling that goes upwards to the missile pack, because you basically have only just enough time to shoot the ceiling -> jump into the one block gap without missing and bonking off the lower ceiling -> bomb the bomb block -> ballspark before it fades. You're still locked out of the transport area by the Screw Attack blocks and you're already close to the Screw Attack by that point anyway so I guess at most you can pick up a few more tanks on your way?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

abraham linksys posted:

is there any good lore recap video or writeup y'all can recommend?

The game intro has a big lore dump, you don't really need anything else.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I've done a couple minor sequence breaks with jump kick + flash shift to wall for second jump kick and felt like a real darn genius. It seems programmed to not let you do it but mashing the buttons gets it done.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

abraham linksys posted:

so, I impulse bought Dread for the same reason I always end up impulse buying Nintendo releases: they never loving go on sale so it's easier to justify just dropping $60 at release. however, I realized while it was downloading that while I have like played a bunch of Metroid games as rentals, I have never actually finished one, or even gotten more than halfway through really

in the past couple days, I played through Zero Mission and AM2R, both of which loving ruled. now I'm planning on playing Super and Fusion before moving on to Dread.

the one problem, though, is that I played AM2R instead of Samus Returns, and I have just learned Samus Returns introduces a ton of lore threads that all get used in Dread. I am, obviously, not particularly invested in Metroid lore, but concerned I'm gonna miss a bunch of story beats if I don't know the details of Samus Returns. is there any good lore recap video or writeup y'all can recommend? I'd almost be tempted to play Samus Returns, but it clocks in around 11-14 hours on HLTB which is pretty rough given all the other games I've mentioned are in the 5-8 range, so I feel like I should just figure out what happened in it

(if said videos/writeups could also cover the Prime trilogy and Other M that'd be neat, though my understanding is that parts of those are questionably canon, or, if canon, not really relevant to what's going on)

e: also how much space jumping do super metroid and metroid fusion have because after am2r my hands are ABSOLUTELY hosed

The only lore you need to know is that Samus went into a planet and ruined a bunch of fauna's day. Also Samus can use space magic called Aeion but that's not really a big spoiler.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

just play the game

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

That Missile+ tank in Ferenia where you have to run from the tram room, wall jump, save the boost, shoot the beam blocks, cross bomb across the pitfalls, blow up another bomb block, and then ballspark straight up is goddamn ridiculous. I am a human being, Mercury Steam, not a robot! Make the timing a little less strict!

I got it but it took me like fifteen fuckin minutes.

you actually don't have to cross bomb, you can walljump and duck into the tunnel and to the room on the left and then have way more time just bombing and then ballsparking up

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

99.9% of the new lore additions in Samus Returns come from unlockable art called the Chozo Memories, which are conveniently available in a gallery. They showcase the history of the Chozo's efforts on SR388. None of them have accompanying text or any further explanation in-game beyond what the art shows. If you just take a look at them all, you'll be filled in on everything you need to know for Dread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmcrB83Ei7U

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

abraham linksys posted:

Just watch a 100 percent ending video on youtube if you want the lore. What you will be missing out on is the controls. Dread story wise is a sequel to fusion but mechanically it's a sequel to samus returns and jumping straight from fusion to dread might come with a bit of a whiplash in terms of controls.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

petcarcharodon posted:

you actually don't have to cross bomb, you can walljump and duck into the tunnel and to the room on the left and then have way more time just bombing and then ballsparking up

That doesn't make any sense because there's four beam blocks at the very beginning of the tunnel (which is why you're forced to press down to save the speed boost, because you can't shoot all four blocks in the short amount of time after the wall jump) and immediately after them is the four pitfall blocks. You can ballspark into the room on the left, yeah, because that's how I found out there even is a room on the left, but the room is too small to build up another speed boost, so there's really no point in going there.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

It does feel a little on on rails compared to like the original one or Legacy of the Wizard

It opens up from time to time to let you get lost, but it is definitely more constrained than the original or Super. Feels better than Fusion in that regard, but I have also only played Fusion once a long time ago so I may be mis-remembering.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is it possible to parry the chozo warrior's red melee attack? Not the lunge, the vertical slash?

Jump and phase shift over it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
awww man, was just fighting z57 and in one of my tries, on the first available melee counter it went into this interactive cutscene where Samus rode it around while it ran around the cylinder in the background and was blasting it in the head, but then i died anyways. In the battle where I won i successfully hit every counter but never got the cutscene :smith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

site posted:

awww man, was just fighting z57 and in one of my tries, on the first available melee counter it went into this interactive cutscene where Samus rode it around while it ran around the cylinder in the background and was blasting it in the head, but then i died anyways. In the battle where I won i successfully hit every counter but never got the cutscene :smith:

Yeah that triggers if you immediately start firing missiles after a successful counter as I learned by a lot of trial and error

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there HP scaling on bosses?

Was doing the final boss and died to it like 4 times, 5th time (and my successful one) I just kind of rocketed through it's HP like nothing minus the winged phase. That one is a damage sponge and a half

Felt weird, but still probably the best final boss in the franchise. I don't want to go back to big idiot monsters after a cool 1 on 1 anime fight kicked that much rear end

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Finished my first playthrough, started a second.

-Ending credits music was very bad, no idea what they were doing with that one
-This game could've really used a RE2remake style reward system once you've beaten it once, even if it's just for unlocking mostly pointless stuff like old style suits for Samus, gimme that list and let me check boxes like a modern gamer
-I'm still instinctively shooting every EMMI gate
-It's a lot of fun to just completely destroy bosses on the second run through, now that I've got a real handle on the controls

Game was awesome, really hope they make more with this nice of movement but maybe spend a little more time on making the environments I'm moving around in more, I dunno, unique? It all felt pretty generic sci-fi, nothing quite as evocative as bubble mountain or the pink leaves areas of Super Metroid. Could've really used more creativity in that department to make each area feel like its own beast a bit more. Perhaps on the next planet that Samus will inevitably detonate.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

petcarcharodon posted:

oh gently caress, I think I just realized why I could never pull that move off. I kept getting the booster outside in the tram room, and would bonk into the door - so I was trying to store the spark, run in, wall jump up, and shinespark to the left (didn't even realize there was more to it because I never got the spark into the tunnel right).

The whole time I should just start closer to the door so I get the booster activated once inside the room huh?

Well, that is 20 minutes of my life I want back

:smithicide:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do I use the speed boost after hitting down to charge it?

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

That doesn't make any sense because there's four beam blocks at the very beginning of the tunnel (which is why you're forced to press down to save the speed boost, because you can't shoot all four blocks in the short amount of time after the wall jump) and immediately after them is the four pitfall blocks. You can ballspark into the room on the left, yeah, because that's how I found out there even is a room on the left, but the room is too small to build up another speed boost, so there's really no point in going there.

you don't have to build another speedboost, you just quickly unmorph and shinespark when you get in there, you start by just regular speedboosting from the shuttle and walljumping in there

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there HP scaling on bosses?

Was doing the final boss and died to it like 4 times, 5th time (and my successful one) I just kind of rocketed through it's HP like nothing minus the winged phase. That one is a damage sponge and a half

Felt weird, but still probably the best final boss in the franchise. I don't want to go back to big idiot monsters after a cool 1 on 1 anime fight kicked that much rear end

No, though some bosses can heal. (The Experiment does this during the hands on walls attack.)

Some bosses have varying amounts of HP per phase.

Raven Beak''s first phase only has 2000 HP. His 2nd phase has 46000 HP, and his final phase has 22000 HP.

Also I see a lot of people saying Storm Missiles are great. Yeah uh, be warned that you need to lock onto an enemy multiple times for them. Otherwise you're wasting missiles and are better off just shooting normal missiles.

For reference: Missiles deal 100 damage. Supers deal 300 damage. Ice Missiles deal 400 damage. Storm Missiles only deal 100 damage per missile, so each volley that fully lands deals 300 damage. 5 volleys will deal a total of 1500 damage.

That being said bosses do have damage resistances so some attacks will deal more damage than others. Though the specifics haven't been dug out yet.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

fadam posted:

How do I use the speed boost after hitting down to charge it?
Hold up (or down if you wanna go down) and press B. You can stop running and align yourself right because Samus will store it for a few seconds (she's purple during this).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I love how this Samus's design makes her look slicker while still expressing she's a walking battle tank. Much better than the goofy rear end Fusion suit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does anyone else really dislike the Burenia boss? It’s extremely finicky and expects you to be really accurate with the laser sight (which I’m not). That plus the battlefield just makes it super tedious and annoying.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zore posted:

Yeah that triggers if you immediately start firing missiles after a successful counter as I learned by a lot of trial and error

dude... :(

This is something you can do on every boss, btw.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I love how this Samus's design makes her look slicker while still expressing she's a walking battle tank. Much better than the goofy rear end Fusion suit.
Beginning/Varia/Gravity all simultaneously have enough shared that it's distinctly the same suit but also are pretty unique looks from each other, I really liked it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I just parried the green EMMI three times trying to figure out where the hell to go

The cloak's vaguely useful in that you can cloak and hop over them and they won't notice but it's obvious that it can still see you and knows exactly where you are either way

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

petcarcharodon posted:

you don't have to build another speedboost, you just quickly unmorph and shinespark when you get in there, you start by just regular speedboosting from the shuttle and walljumping in there

I'm still not understanding. There wouldn't be any point in shinesparking in the room on the left because the speed boost blocks are above the second set of bomb blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CvRw6SGRdA&t=256s

This guy starts from the room on the right instead of in the tram room (which is where I started) which gives him some time to charge up his beam to take out all the beam blocks, but there's absolutely no way to get over those pitfall blocks without cross bombing or ballsparking, and ballsparking is pointless because there's no room to start another boost in the left room, and there's no breakable blocks in that room either. As far as I know (and I could be wrong, I'm no Metroid expert!) there's no way to reset the timer on a shinespark one you've pressed down to store the boost. So you wouldn't be able to store the boost, roll to the room on the left, and then restart the timer. If you could, yeah, this Missle+ tank would be much easier. I mean, I apparently was already doing it the hard way by starting from the tram, but still. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also goddamn damage is no joke in this game. It feels like everything takes off half a tank.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still not understanding. There wouldn't be any point in shinesparking in the room on the left because the speed boost blocks are above the second set of bomb blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CvRw6SGRdA&t=256s

This guy starts from the room on the right instead of in the tram room (which is where I started) which gives him some time to charge up his beam to take out all the beam blocks, but there's absolutely no way to get over those pitfall blocks without cross bombing or ballsparking, and ballsparking is pointless because there's no room to start another boost in the left room, and there's no breakable blocks in that room either. As far as I know (and I could be wrong, I'm no Metroid expert!) there's no way to reset the timer on a shinespark one you've pressed down to store the boost. So you wouldn't be able to store the boost, roll to the room on the left, and then restart the timer. If you could, yeah, this Missle+ tank would be much easier. I mean, I apparently was already doing it the hard way by starting from the tram, but still. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk5BzeUJBE

it took me a bit to find a video of it but I think this is the developer intended way, it's what i did, though i started from outside the shuttle door on the left

petcarcharodon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 11, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pollyanna posted:

Also goddamn damage is no joke in this game. It feels like everything takes off half a tank.

That's just that classic NES feel, everything hits like a truck and knocks you back 30 feet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: One shot from the Chozo assassin enemy deals one whole tank. That is insane.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

raditts posted:

That's just that classic NES feel, everything hits like a truck and knocks you back 30 feet.

Don’t forget the split second counters!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the game resolutely refusing to arse about combat-wise is one of the things i liked most about fusion, and I'm glad it's in full form here

Z-57 was fantastic

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Anyone gotten past the Speed Boost block in Burenia in the rooms with the sloping platforms? No idea what they want from me here.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DelphiAegis posted:

I started to get upset part way through that you were railroaded pretty hard until you got the very last upgrade. But reflecting back, all the mainline metroid games have done this, so it was nice to not really need to backtrack hard until the end.

This is wrong.

Metroid and SM absolutely didnt do this, neither did prime. They all allowed you to get back to your ship/start almost anytime you wanted. Fusion was the first to start limiting you and cutting off large swaths of the world at random.

SM had exactly one time when it cut you off, but even then they only cut you of from back tracking a specific path, you could actually get back through an alternate path very easily once you got ice beam, and before you beat kraid.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Justin_Brett posted:

Anyone gotten past the Speed Boost block in Burenia in the rooms with the sloping platforms? No idea what they want from me here.

They want mid-air Shinesparks into the slopes. You'll run up them and have a chance to re-store the Shinespark after you're back on flat ground.

Also, don't forget you can slide while retaining the speed boost (and thus store a Shinespark after you un-slide). Without that, the timing on the second slope in that puzzle is super strict.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

petcarcharodon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk5BzeUJBE

it took me a bit to find a video of it but I think this is the developer intended way, it's what i did, though i started from outside the shuttle door on the left

Oh! Now I see what you meant! Now that I've seen it I understand what you were saying perfectly. For some reason it just wasn't getting through as just text. Okay, yeah, that's way easier, and I think you're right that this is the developer intended solution since otherwise there isn't a point to the room on the left. Good to know you don't have to wait for cross bombs to get it.

Pollyanna posted:

:laffo: One shot from the Chozo assassin enemy deals one whole tank. That is insane.

The worst part is after getting the storm missiles when you have to fight two of the fuckers at the same time. I spent a good half hour trying to do that goddamn fight. Doesn't help when you have like half a second to determine if they're going to do the melee attack you can counter, or the supercharged one that'll shred your health bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYqCOxwygoU

Twelve by Pies posted:

The worst part is after getting the storm missiles when you have to fight two of the fuckers at the same time. I spent a good half hour trying to do that goddamn fight. Doesn't help when you have like half a second to determine if they're going to do the melee attack you can counter, or the supercharged one that'll shred your health bar.

it helps if you spam storm missiles on the silver one because it basically just deletes them immediately with a couple volleys

or you can take another route and get power bombs and just kill them both instantly

petcarcharodon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 11, 2021