Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Perfect Element posted:

There's that national lottery game where the top prize is being paid £10k per month for thirty years. I reckon that would be the best. You'd be minted, but not so much that you'd go completely crazy. You could quit your meaningless bullshit job and just volunteer or travel or something, and donate like at least two thirds of the money towards cool stuff.

I once sat down and worked out that if you had £1m, you could split it into five 200k bonds and draw £20k a year indefinitely for the rest of your life, as long as you've got the discipline (and the stone cold heart, probably) to treat that seed money in the bonds as if it doesn't exist. If you do feel compelled to spend or give it away, you can get about 45 years out of £600k at the same drawdown before the cash runs out.

Something like that would be my plan, if I ever win the lottery I never get around to playing. Not independently wealthy, but I'd settle for being independently reasonably-okay-financially-speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
me?

I'd buy yachts and Ferraris and booze and drugs and we'd all be better off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I once sat down and worked out that if you had £1m, you could split it into five 200k bonds and draw £20k a year indefinitely for the rest of your life, as long as you've got the discipline (and the stone cold heart, probably) to treat that seed money in the bonds as if it doesn't exist. If you do feel compelled to spend or give it away, you can get about 45 years out of £600k at the same drawdown before the cash runs out.

Something like that would be my plan, if I ever win the lottery I never get around to playing. Not independently wealthy, but I'd settle for being independently reasonably-okay-financially-speaking.

Would that also track with inflation? If so £20k a year feels like a sweet spot, especially if you use that £400k from the second option to buy a decent house and keep a pretty hefty rainy-day fund. It's definitely not *rich*, but I'd say it's more than enough to get rid of financial anxiety.

Of course if somehow the world is still here in 45 years you're going to feel a bit of an idiot when the counter hits zero, so maybe you should put aside enough for a blaze-of-glory exit off a cliff in a rented Bugatti with a Scarface-sized mountain of blow up your nose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Keir's mega focus group results.

https://numberslaidbare.wordpress.com/2021/10/10/r-ukpolitics-keirs-mega-focus-group-results/

reddit ukpolitics persons took part in this.

Some interesting graphs included.

(Sorry they don't copy easily and I'm too tired to meticulously imgur them.)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Jesus imagine winning a million and deciding to live on 20k a year for the rest of your life, I wonder about you lot sometimes I really do

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

Jesus imagine winning a million and deciding to live on 20k a year for the rest of your life, I wonder about you lot sometimes I really do

Assuming you buy yourself a house upfront, 20 grand per year is pretty decent money. The first few years you could probably spend more but at some point there's only so much stuff one person needs.

Sure, you could decide you want to eat out at Michelin star restaurants and live in Central London and take 4 holidays a year that you fly to in first class but at some point it's diminishing returns.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Would that also track with inflation? If so £20k a year feels like a sweet spot, especially if you use that £400k from the second option to buy a decent house and keep a pretty hefty rainy-day fund. It's definitely not *rich*, but I'd say it's more than enough to get rid of financial anxiety.

Of course if somehow the world is still here in 45 years you're going to feel a bit of an idiot when the counter hits zero, so maybe you should put aside enough for a blaze-of-glory exit off a cliff in a rented Bugatti with a Scarface-sized mountain of blow up your nose.

Sadly no, the best rates on fixed bonds these days are under 2% which isn't meaningfully too far from inflation, so if you want an inflation adjusted £20k, you can practically work that out just by dividing the asset by 20k to work out how long it'll last. Of course if you can invest it you might get a higher rate on return than a fixed bond in which case you could beat out the inflation maybe.

If you ever do win the lottery, please be advised that this financial advice I have just given is billable for £1m.

Jakabite posted:

Eh, I live on only marginally more than 20k a year right now and I want for very little, I think the only significant improvement I could make in my quality of life is not having to work, and I'd trade a small income reduction for that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

4 holidays a year lol

what the gently caress would I be on holiday from?

I'm saving myself the money of having to take a holiday by already being on holiday

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

4 holidays a year lol

I'm saving myself the money of having to take a holiday by already being on holiday

Holidays are when you go to nice places.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

4 holidays a year lol

People seem to enjoy going abroad. You could go to Australia and see the remains of the Tesla battery factory that burned for a week

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i would go into space, it seems expensive but you get a view of every holiday detination so actually a bit of a bargain

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

The thing is that having been long-term unemployed I know that not working while being able to afford not only a roof over my head and keep fed while still being able to get luxury items like books and games and music would make me happy.

Seriously, remove financial concerns and you remove more than half the things that cause me stress and prevent me from doing what I'm passionate about : sitting in my underpants watching some wrestling.

Yeah this is it, I think if the number one thing you'll gain happiness from, from having money, isn't like, "security" (i.e. not having to worry about money), and "freedom" then you may well end up having a bad time.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How many people would you be happy with thinking gently caress I wish my life didnt suck and knowing that the constant money chase was the reason it did?

Yeah but I think even people who are struggling to buy enough food every week still probably find themselves dreaming of winning the lottery and getting a massive house and all that, and what I'm saying is that if that's what you aspire to then it probably won't actually make you happy. Also if you did win the lottery and you think like this you're probably more likely to spunk it all up the wall and end up penniless again.

forkboy84 posted:

Sure, you could decide you want to eat out at Michelin star restaurants and live in Central London and take 4 holidays a year that you fly to in first class but at some point it's diminishing returns.

You are right about diminshing returns. My old boss got rich and started going and spending the weekend at Claridges in London like every 3 weeks (a room costs like £900 a night or something stupid) but he was still a miserable fucker. You get to a certain point of doing that and yeah, you have to escalate and escalate for it to feel special and before you know it you're claiming that "£300k/year isn't rich!" or whatever, because there's always some oval office richer than you.

Like, I've eaten at fancy restaurants, and it *is* good. Ate at a 3-star place in Copenhagen when we were on holiday and I'd just got a small bonus from work, and it was the most incredible meal I've ever had... but I wouldn't want to do it all the time, cause then it's not special anymore. I've fallen into the trap of getting takeaways 2 or 3 times a week before when I was mega-stressed from work stuff and you just stop enjoying it, we were only getting them because we couldn't be arsed to cook in the end.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Youre already pretty rich really, most people only really want the crushing boot of poordom taken off their necks.

And yeah, I know in some sense I am. I own a house (with a mortgage), but like I said I'm currently unemployed. My wife's working but her income only just covers our expenses - which we're keeping modest. I have to watch what we're spending at the supermarket and stuff like that, which to be honest is the first time I've ever really had to do that... and yeah, it really does suck. I know I'm lucky I've never really had to worry about it before, and I'll probably find a job soon and we'll be alright again. I might even be able to start putting some money away in a pension. Either way, the last couple of years have really put some things into focus, that's for sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

£20k a year with a house and no work sounds like heaven to me, I think I would basically be completely happy with that. I could spend my time doing anything I like.

I can't really think what I would personally use greater riches for, I don't want to go anywhere, I don't want to own fancy things, I just want time really.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i would go into space, it seems expensive but you get a view of every holiday detination so actually a bit of a bargain

i would also like you to go into space

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

£20k a year with a house and no work sounds like heaven to me, I think I would basically be completely happy with that. I could spend my time doing anything I like.

I can't really think what I would personally use greater riches for, I don't want to go anywhere, I don't want to own fancy things, I just want time really.

I'd say you could post more but you have like, 1 post an hour, every hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for 8 years straight :D

Even my wife walked past my screen the other day and said 'Oh, Owlfancier? he's in every damned thread...'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I am already operating at maximum posting capacity. This is what peak posting performance looks like.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mebh posted:

I'd say you could post more but you have like, 1 post an hour, every hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for 8 years straight :D

Even my wife walked past my screen the other day and said 'Oh, Owlfancier? he's in every damned thread...'

"surely that's an exaggeration", I mutter, clicking his profile button

and yet he's not even close to the high score

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Keir's mega focus group results.

https://numberslaidbare.wordpress.com/2021/10/10/r-ukpolitics-keirs-mega-focus-group-results/

reddit ukpolitics persons took part in this.

Some interesting graphs included.

(Sorry they don't copy easily and I'm too tired to meticulously imgur them.)

this one's confusing me a bit:

Kier removes the whip from Labour MPs who are ‘gender critical’ with regard to trans issues

if i understand, this would be basically allowing labour mps to vote against trans rights. am i right?

because if so, doesn't this seem like the respondents have misunderstood the question, because only the tories say this would make them less likely to vote labour, wither everyone else not caring very much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"remove the whip" means they are no longer considered labour MPs. Because he can't fire them as MPs, so "removing the whip" is basically saying "we no longer require your services"

So like, technically yes it means they can vote however they want but technically they can already do that because you are explicitly not allowed to tell MPs how to vote in our dumb political system.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

oh okay. i've misunderstood what the whip was then.

i thought it was the party line which everybody is expected to vote with or they can't be a labour mp anymore. so removing it would mean they could vote as they like without that consequence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

roomtone posted:

oh okay. i've misunderstood what the whip was then.

i thought it was the party line which everybody is expected to vote with or they can't be a labour mp anymore. so removing it would mean they could vote as they like without that consequence.

It is, which coexists with the idea that you are not allowed to tell MPs how to vote, I believe this is the origin of the "3 line whip" because once upon a time voting importance was communicated by underlining motions a number of times.

"removing the whip" does technically mean they can do what they like but the reason you remove it is because you no longer have any expectation that they will be functioning as an MP for your given party. It is saying that they can do whatever they want because they aren't one of yours any more, and can expect not to recieve any support for re-election either.

Corbyn for example does not have the whip at the moment, as far as I recall, and will very probably not be allowed to stand on the labour ticket next election.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 11, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah if you have the whip removed you won't be allowed to stand as a Labour MP or receive any funding. Given that like 94% of votes (nationwide) are based on party rather than who the local MP* is, if you're a Labour MP in a Labour seat, it's highly likely that if you stand as an independent, you'll lose your seat (I like to call it "getting Danczuked"**). Also you'd have to fund your campaign yourself.

It's entirely possible though that a really really good constituency MP (like, say, Jeremy Corbyn) might still win a seat if they stood as an independent.

* Which, alone, makes a complete mockery of the existence of MPs at all.

** After Simon Danczuk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Danczuk

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

i would also like you to go into space

I would still be posting

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
…Really cool pictures of space while having an awesome time hanging out with William Shatner

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

learnincurve posted:

…Really cool pictures of space while having an awesome time hanging out with William Shatner

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I remember reading an article a few years ago about a study done on lottery winners and whether or not it was actually a bad thing to win because of what it does to your life.

Turns out the vast majority of people who won are incredibly happy and it actually is a positive thing. You just don't hear about those people because they're busy enjoying their lives instead being in the news because they ran out of money.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I always took the "you'll be miserable if you win" thing to be a decent bit of paup shaming and classism. In a country so set up for the ultra rich it's a bit odd. Plus with how the national psyche seems to consist strongly of us hating ourselves I guess it lines up.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I’m sure being wealthy can’t make you happy but it surely can remove the two biggest sources of unhappiness, money insecurity and the need to endlessly work to live

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The national lottery funds a bunch of good causes while also allowing one workshy scrounger and her ten kids to get a bunch of money for free and still never work, of course the upper classes hate it.

Oh, inheriting the family estate and then buying some houses to become a landlord that lives in Spain and spends all day on the beach? No that doesn't compare

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i enjoyed how outraged the middle clawwses got about mickey carroll back in the day :hehe:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The fact that nearly goddamn everything is projection never ceases to amaze me.
I love my goddamn job, but if anyone thinks that for a second I wouldn't throw it in and just go explore the world the moment I had no financial chains they're loving insane.

Workshy my rear end. Why the hell would anyone want to do the same thing every day til they're too old to enjoy most of the things in the world just so they can live in loving Sheffield til they die. (note :sheff is quite nice but it's not exactly a life goals place...)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mebh posted:

The fact that nearly goddamn everything is projection never ceases to amaze me.
I love my goddamn job, but if anyone thinks that for a second I wouldn't throw it in and just go explore the world the moment I had no financial chains they're loving insane.

Workshy my rear end. Why the hell would anyone want to do the same thing every day til they're too old to enjoy most of the things in the world just so they can live in loving Sheffield til they die. (note :sheff is quite nice but it's not exactly a life goals place...)

It's a tricky one with the life goals places.

I thought about moving to Singapore at one point but the tech wages there are worse than in the UK, at least in embedded software.

The weather and cosmopolitan feeling is pretty great though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Wolfsbane posted:

My wife comes from Cornwall and claims to be able to understand the hot fuzz guy perfectly. On the other hand I had to translate for her when we went up to Newcastle to meet my relatives.

My folks are from bath and could understand him just fine.

I remember a video did the rounds on SA with a bunch of old Somerset lads chatting about the old days, it was blowing american posters' minds

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

I genuinely wouldn't know what to do with much more, if all the usual Big Costs of life were sorted.

A fancy car or fancy clothes or whatever hold absolutely no interest for me, I don't like cocaine and other good drugs are p.cheap, and I don't intend on travelling much anymore because of the environment. What else is there?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Private Speech posted:

It's a tricky one with the life goals places.

I thought about moving to Singapore at one point but the tech wages there are worse than in the UK, at least in embedded software.

The weather and cosmopolitan feeling is pretty great though.

Well yeah there's your problem. Your first issue is the wage. I mean I'd happily go live anywhere if I didn't have to work... I certainly wouldn't choose almost anywhere in the UK though was more my point.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

crispix posted:

i enjoyed how outraged the middle clawwses got about mickey carroll back in the day :hehe:

I'm glad he wasn't my neighbour but I did lol quite a bit at the idea of him buying a house in proper jam and Jerusalem country and driving all the prim and proper old dears absolutely bananas by turning his back garden into a racetrack and having insane parties every night.

Though iirc he was legit a wrong'un and ended up funding some dodgy loyalist paramilitaries in NI or something?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

What else is there?

Big telly and banging speakers.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

I genuinely wouldn't know what to do with much more, if all the usual Big Costs of life were sorted.

A fancy car or fancy clothes or whatever hold absolutely no interest for me, I don't like cocaine and other good drugs are p.cheap, and I don't intend on travelling much anymore because of the environment. What else is there?

Nice food, expensive musical instruments and gear, buying toys for your dog. That's about it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

Well yeah there's your problem. Your first issue is the wage. I mean I'd happily go live anywhere if I didn't have to work... I certainly wouldn't choose almost anywhere in the UK though was more my point.

Honestly not sure I could see me moving abroad. I'm far too accustomed to our temperate weather. I'd miss the rain. Hell, I lived in Sheffield for 6 months and missed the rain and it's not like Sheffield is arid (in fact when I moved there in the summer of 2007 they were recovering from serious flooding.

Give me a lottery win & I either move to the centre of Glasgow or else one of the villages along the Road to the Islands, Mallaig or Arisaig or Morar or Glenfinnan. Bonnie part of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

new iphone
sailing boat
sports