Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Goodguy3 posted:

That's the thought I had too but like...so what if you discovered that sooner? I stumbled onto the dream world by complete accident! I figure stumbling onto things by accident is part of the fun!

it feels janky and unintentional honestly

it seems like it's determined by the surface you're standing on more than anything else? like, there were times i had to move around for a while looking straight down before i could even find a place to set my lantern down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is the prisoner supposed to gently caress off after you tell them they and their entire species are dead? They left a torch with a vision of the two of us sailing off into the sunset and just vanished entirely

And now my ship computer thinks i have nothing left to do. No missing spaces, no orange text. The only place i don't think I've checked is the REAL vault, the ship doesn't recognize that as an objective and if they told me how to open it i sure didn't notice.

I guess I didn't properly solve the 3 locks in the underground lake, instead glitching over so i can turn out the lights. But i feel like you're never actually supposed to find those codes, that's why you gotta glitch it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Is the prisoner supposed to gently caress off after you tell them they and their entire species are dead? They left a torch with a vision of the two of us sailing off into the sunset and just vanished entirely

And now my ship computer thinks i have nothing left to do. No missing spaces, no orange text. The only place i don't think I've checked is the REAL vault, the ship doesn't recognize that as an objective and if they told me how to open it i sure didn't notice.

I guess I didn't properly solve the 3 locks in the underground lake, instead glitching over so i can turn out the lights. But i feel like you're never actually supposed to find those codes, that's why you gotta glitch it

You solved it. You beat the DLC. That was the end.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nihilarian posted:

They killed themselves. They invite you to do the same.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

You solved it. You beat the DLC. That was the end.
what

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Congratulations

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Dont believe them. Theres a bit more, bit it all happens during the ending of the main game, so go do that. It sounds like you did finish everything in the new location though.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
I picked the main game up on sale, and despite not properly getting into it for a few sessions, and the janky ash twin teleporter bit I had a blast. The final run especially was amazing, gently caress anglerfish. There are however a ton of hidden achievements I haven't got, am I going to run into these by exploring and playing on or should I just look up a list and do the entertaining looking ones? I feel like I pretty much explored everything there is to see already.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Huge Manatee posted:

I picked the main game up on sale, and despite not properly getting into it for a few sessions, and the janky ash twin teleporter bit I had a blast. The final run especially was amazing, gently caress anglerfish. There are however a ton of hidden achievements I haven't got, am I going to run into these by exploring and playing on or should I just look up a list and do the entertaining looking ones? I feel like I pretty much explored everything there is to see already.

Most of the achievements are "gently caress around in this odd particular way". Look 'em up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Goodguy3 posted:

That's the thought I had too but like...so what if you discovered that sooner? I stumbled onto the dream world by complete accident! I figure stumbling onto things by accident is part of the fun!

Because there are a bunch of posts in this very thread of people figuring out tricks early, using them to solve the stealth sections and then getting irrationally upset that the game dared to show them a technique they already knew.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A lot of the hidden achievements are for doing weird poo poo that may occur to you if you think about the mechanics of the game and how to abuse them, but some are also fairly obscure. There's also, a bunch of secret endings, at least one of which is an achievement.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Hint: you may remember feeling the same way after meeting Solanum in the base game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

Hint: you may remember feeling the same way after meeting Solanum in the base game.

the slideshow and the music for taking to the prisoner legit made me cry a little so i legit don’t understand anyone who was underwhelmed by that lmao

but it WOULD be nice to more definitely know that you’re done there afterward

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dmboogie posted:

the slideshow and the music for taking to the prisoner legit made me cry a little so i legit don’t understand anyone who was underwhelmed by that lmao

Beating the game after beating the DLC is a must for you, then.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Beating the game after beating the DLC is a must for you, then.

oh I did and it was great i just think meeting the prisoner is an incredibly powerful moment on its own

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just chiming in to agree that while I did like the DLC's final segment with the prisoner, like a lot have said here, my issue was that there just wasn't enough "pop off" to really feel like you were at the end of the DLC to wrap things up feeling complete. Even if just a title card came up after the raft that said the DLC name, or insta-ended your cycle to credits, just, anything at all would have sold it. Just going back to your literal dream prison with literally nothing else to do and no where else to go while your dead body in the real world roasts is a giant loving bummer. Not sure how they managed to botch that so badly since the base game's ending is one of the most like deeply satisfying and emotionally resonant things I've basically ever witnessed in a game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My ending: there's now a raft you can get on that slowly sinks as music begins to play

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Arrhythmia posted:

My ending: there's now a raft you can get on that slowly sinks as music begins to play

There is?? Where?

e: oh, hypothetically

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 10, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Same but you get on the raft with the prisoner, who lights a cigarette pulls out a 45 and starts shooting holes in the boat. He turns to you, smiles and nods as the water overtakes your lanterns, his suicide pact complete. You wake up back in camp, choking.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Same but you get on the raft with the prisoner, who lights a cigarette pulls out a 45 and starts shooting holes in the boat. He turns to you, smiles and nods as the water overtakes your lanterns, his suicide pact complete. You wake up back in camp, choking.

Our eyes lock as it sinks and our hearthian daps him up hard as gently caress and goes "you GOT ME, bro???"

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I bought my BIL the base game when it went on sale for the DLC. Even though I only started playing it for the first time in September, it's awesome seeing his slightly different approach.

One thing he managed that I couldn't was meeting Solanum before ever getting to the Eye.

I can't wait to tell him how the campfire at the end changes based on what you've done.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Just fired this up for the first time in about 3 days and all my Echoes of the Eye progress/discoveries have completely vanished (including the very first step). Has anyone had this issue? I guess technically you can't really lose your progress in a game like this but gently caress my rear end if losing the ability to way point to specific locations isn't a minor pain in the rear end.

edit: and my progress just reappeared. Woo I guess!

Crappers fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 10, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Alex Beachum seems to be asking specific people on Twitter who are complaining vaguely which parts in particular they thought didn't make sense, or that the hints were too obtuse/taught in a weird order, etc. I would imagine they're going to put out a patch making some hints and some sections easier.

I loved the expansion, and think it's got some of the most incredible moments in the entire game in it, like finding the Stranger and then dropping into the river and seeing the inside of the Stranger was one of the coolest things I'd done in a game. finding the bird ghosts dead in front of the fire, then figuring out how to get into the dream world was also exciting, and seeing the simulation once I put down the artifact was another holy poo poo moment, as well as finding the glitches in the slides then trying them, was also one of the best moments in the entire game imo. But for whatever reason, there were times when I was wondering what the overall goal was, maybe because of the abundance of the burned slides made me feel like I was missing more info than I was, and sometimes almost the entire slide was burned and what was left wasn't that relevant at the time which felt pretty much useless, or hints that felt useless because they'd already spelled the hint in a slide or something (like the picture on the wall that you can put a lamp behind, showing that the cell was inside only when the lamp was behind it, which I felt had already been communicated through two other slides at least, that I'd seen prior to that) and for a bit I was just sort of looking for stuff because I had a clue as to where to look next and it was sort of 'meta', or I was looking because I knew that video game logic meant that I was probably meant to look for whatever next. Which isn't necessarily a problem, it's just that in contrast to the main game it felt more like they were hints left there on purpose as opposed to just like stumbling upon the Nomai's writing and feeling like I was actually seeing something that was there because the Nomai would have logically had that conversation there and the thought never crossed my mind that it felt like it was contrived, or placed there because I needed a hint or something.

In addition to that, I think that may have also had a lot to do with the fact that I always knew that the goal was finding the eye/finding out what happened to the Nomai who were looking for the eye, and because of that the clues always felt a lot more organic, but it wasn't that long before I'd actually finished the DLC that I started to wonder what I was actually trying to do, then I extinguished one of the three locks on the prisoner's cell thing, and I guessed that that was at least the way forward, but then when I beat it I wondered if I had anything else to do since I was sort of left to wander around and I just jumped in the river then the supernova happened not long after.

I saw a few people complaining about how the cycle was too short in the main game, but I never felt that way, even if I was super close to getting to something but the sun blew up right before I could read the last hint, I didn't mind because it was fun getting there, and it helped me become familiar with the layout of the world. But for some reason, I wished that the cycle was a bit longer or if time dilated in the stranger, which wouldn't make sense, but I wouldn't have minded if they stretched the cycle out to half an hour while you were inside the stranger and I think it was mainly that it was difficult to get a sense of the layout of the dream world because it was so dark, or that I was scared of getting caught the first few times, or just making the connection that the dream world and the real world were connected, and not just figuring that out, but also making sense of where I entered in the real world and where that meant I was in the dream world.

Btw what happens if you experience the supernova as you enter the cell, or you're about to trigger meeting the prisoner? It would be pretty anticlimactic if you ended the cycle right before seeing the vision of the prisoner and you rafting away together

edit: oh poo poo annapurna tweeted this, definitely getting this shirt

imhotep fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 10, 2021

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

bop bop perano posted:

Btw what happens if you experience the supernova as you enter the cell, or you're about to trigger meeting the prisoner? It would be pretty anticlimactic if you ended the cycle right before seeing the vision of the prisoner and you rafting away together

Hi, it's me, I'm the one who had that happen. First time I met the prisoner, after grabbing his lamp he took a few steps and the sun exploded before I saw his vision. It was easy to get to him again next cycle at least.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

dmboogie posted:

mostly same. When hit me what had happened after the prisoner left that vision staff there and disappeared without a trace I was just like noooooo :cry:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think for Outer Wilds 2 this team needs to make a game set on Rama, or at least a version of it with all the serial numbers filed off.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

For an Outer Wilds spiritual sequel I'd love to see them make a game where you're stranded on an alien planet and have to immerse yourself in the customs and culture from scratch.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Cup Runneth Over posted:

For an Outer Wilds spiritual sequel I'd love to see them make a game where you're stranded on an alien planet and have to immerse yourself in the customs and culture from scratch.

Universal translators are a crutch, unironically let me start by deducing their writing system and language from scratch.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Universal translators are a crutch, unironically let me start by deducing their writing system and language from scratch.

Crucially in this game idea you'd be interacting with living members of the race!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

A mix of Outer Wilds and Heaven's Vault like you're describing would be the greatest game ever created.

I would love to see something with more of a ksp mechanics bent too

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 10, 2021

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

bop bop perano posted:

(like the picture on the wall that you can put a lamp behind, showing that the cell was inside only when the lamp was behind it, which I felt had already been communicated through two other slides at least, that I'd seen prior to that)

What is this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bop bop perano posted:

edit: oh poo poo annapurna tweeted this, definitely getting this shirt

yes please

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Time dilating while you are in the simulation would have made petfect sense, imo, and made things much better

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

why would u post a pic of the shirt and that they tweeted it but not post their tweet or any details where to get it :cripes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

beep by grandpa posted:

why would u post a pic of the shirt and that they tweeted it but not post their tweet or any details where to get it :cripes:

'cos it's not out yet
https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1443265861200924675?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

What is this?

I think that's in that building next to the diving bell where you put a lantern on a table and it shines through a slide to put an overlay over the picture on the wall.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the biggest change they should make to the DLC is to front load more than the elk people are the ones that blocked the eye signal. One of the big plot points of the main game is that the Nomai found the eye signal and came looking for it but then it vanished. So making it really obvious in the start of the DLC that the elk people did it would give the player a reason to keep searching to find out why they blocked the signal. which would then lead into the rest of the game. I just don't know how you do that without putting up a big sign out front that says "we blocked the eye signal, gently caress you."

Though, to be honest, a lot of the problems of the DLC is that you can do things in any order. I'm seeing a lot of posts along the lines of "why would they have a thing showing this when I've already learned it from this other source?" There's no guarantee that a player in that location has even been to the other location to see the info, so it makes sense in a world building sense that info would be in one place to be used as a reference for people working in that area under normal circumstances while the info is also filed away somewhere else.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 10, 2021

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Cojawfee posted:

I think that's in that building next to the diving bell where you put a lantern on a table and it shines through a slide to put an overlay over the picture on the wall.

OH! Okay that makes complete sense.

I was thinking there was some secret door through a painting that needed a lantern placed in front of it in order to pass through. Like a reverse of the entries to the rooms with the Strangers' bodies.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Idk if this is a spoiler, just an observation from the DLC regarding technology. pretty safe to read but I'll spoiler it anyway. It's an extremely poignant and consistent technology consideration by the game devs.

The Stranger only has one window, and it makes complete sense. In order to cloak from the outside world, you have to make the outside world invisible to you as well. Harry potter style invisibility cloaks make no sense physically, you can't observe light and have it pass through you, you have to pick one. So the stranger is invisible until you get inside its cloak, and then the rest of the stars go black and you can only see the stranger - your signal scope no longer works either.

Anyway if you walk up to any "glass" on the stranger except for one, you'll notice it has RGB pixels... it looks like an old CRT screen sorta. There is one place that doesn't have this effect, and that's the bridge you access from the top of the dam that has the graphic about the supernova on a table. This bridge is below another observation room that has the RGB pixel type of glass. That glass, in the upper room, shows stars and planets etc, but the room below has a black sky save for the sun. The stranger needs to observe the sun going nova to know when to unfurl the solar sails. And that's why the stranger blocks out the sun at 40 degrees. Iit's the only thing the stranger isn't cloaking. In fact that one window is the only one rendered as a room on the outside of the stranger, to the upper left of where you dock your ship.

This fits in perfectly with the deer-owl people being culturally obsessed with appearance over reality. Basically all their puzzles/backstory are centered on that too.

Antonymous fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm like 95% of the way through the DLC and I don't really have anything unique to add, just to say that overall it's pretty awesome and I've definitely enjoyed it.

It's a playable Rendezvous with Rama, how can you not love that? Exploring the Stranger and figuring out all the mechanics is a blast. It would be nice if your log saved the actual slide shows that you discover, but they're a cool change from the text-only Nomai storytelling.

Right now I'm working on figuring out how to unlock the sarcophagus with the three seals. Do you ever actually find the three codes associated with those seals, or are they burned away everywhere? I thought they would be listed in the "secret" archives you find but nope.

Also loving rear end in a top hat birbs, I just wanted to go say hi and you blow out my candle. :mad: