Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Drifters tho. And Hellsing for that matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I'm starting to think that your position is not very well thought out.

It was a low effort response to someone that doesn't get the difference between using themes/aesthetics from fascists vs using actual slogans they popularized, and they didn't seem interested in actually discussing the difference.

Southpaugh posted:

Drifters tho. And Hellsing for that matter

Also not a fan of Drifters bringing in literally Hitler.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
A solid half of your posts itt have been on this topic. Just shut up, we clearly find your point tedious and poorly reasoned.

You are the modern fishmech

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Anime Hitler.wmv

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

A solid half of your posts itt have been on this topic. Just shut up, we clearly find your point tedious and poorly reasoned.

You are the modern fishmech

I mean, it's pretty much the same as when white wolf printed "vampires are actually the ones killing all the gay people in Chechnya" in their latest vampire the masquerade rulebook and people got rightfully pissed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the line in 86 was an odd choice by localizers but it made a weirdo have a hilarious meltdown so it is impossible to say if it is good or bad

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the line in 86 was an odd choice by localizers but it made a weirdo have a hilarious meltdown so it is impossible to say if it is good or bad

you shouldn't call Augus weird, it's not nice.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Reik posted:

I mean, it's pretty much the same as when white wolf printed "vampires are actually the ones killing all the gay people in Chechnya" in their latest vampire the masquerade rulebook and people got rightfully pissed.

Nice bait

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
I’m thinking I should try some sports related poo poo out, what should I be watching?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’m thinking I should try some sports related poo poo out, what should I be watching?

Haikyū seems to be one of the good recent ones. Initial D is the only "sports anime" I've watched, though.

Oh, both seasons of Megalobox are good if you haven't seen that.

Reik has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Oct 11, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

Ping Pong The Animation is fantastic. Ashita no Joe is one of the most influential anime of all time for a reason, if you fancy something older. Haikyuu regularly gets rave reviews.

If you don't mind weird fantasy sports, Gundam Build Fighters and Girls und Panzer are genuinely excellent.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation

Darth Walrus posted:

Ping Pong The Animation is fantastic. Ashita no Joe is one of the most influential anime of all time for a reason, if you fancy something older. Haikyuu regularly gets rave reviews.

If you don't mind weird fantasy sports, Gundam Build Fighters and Girls und Panzer are genuinely excellent.

At the risk of brining up the stuff I just tried to derail away from how weird is the Nazi poo poo in Girls und Panzer, because that’s one I was considering based on how goofy the premise is?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

At the risk of brining up the stuff I just tried to derail away from how weird is the Nazi poo poo in Girls und Panzer, because that’s one I was considering based on how goofy the premise is?

They're literally just schoolgirls playing a weird fantasy sport with tanks. Some rival schools are based on silly national stereotypes (the Americans are boisterous goofballs, the Italians are gigantic foodies, the French are LARPing Rose of Versailles, and so on), but that's as far as it goes. The protagonists are a scrappy underdog team using any tank they can get their hands on in a long-shot bid to save their school.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation

Darth Walrus posted:

They're literally just schoolgirls playing a weird fantasy sport with tanks. Some rival schools are based on silly national stereotypes (the Americans are boisterous goofballs, the Italians are gigantic foodies, the French are LARPing Rose of Versailles, and so on), but that's as far as it goes.

Cool. I saw descriptions mentioning stereotypes and that made me wary, but I’ll give it a go.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

Ping Pong: The Animation and Touch are both incredibly good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Reik posted:

It was a low effort response to someone that doesn't get the difference between using themes/aesthetics from fascists vs using actual slogans they popularized, and they didn't seem interested in actually discussing the difference.

Yeah most people aren't interested in the distinction between using actual fascist aesthetics and using actual fascist slogans because it's a distinction you made up seemingly to justify getting mad at an anime you don't like but not an anime you do like.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Srice posted:

Ping Pong: The Animation and Touch are both incredibly good.

Ping Pong is my favorite anime of all time and I still listen to the OST every once in a while

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

They're literally just schoolgirls playing a weird fantasy sport with tanks. Some rival schools are based on silly national stereotypes (the Americans are boisterous goofballs, the Italians are gigantic foodies, the French are LARPing Rose of Versailles, and so on), but that's as far as it goes. The protagonists are a scrappy underdog team using any tank they can get their hands on in a long-shot bid to save their school.

There was that one episode where one of the protagonists looked directly in to the camera and said "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for tank girls" though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

drat this read really likes to talk about nazis huh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Haikyuu is the best sports anime. and Walrus is right

Darth Walrus posted:

And Gundam Build Fighters is free on Youtube. It's loaded with fun stuff for Gundam fans but is ironically also one of the Gundam series most inviting to new viewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9H1u1zFVNc

Gripweed has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Oct 11, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Honestly disappointed nobody brought up Jin-Roh yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

Honestly disappointed nobody brought up Jin-Roh yet.

That's not a sports anime.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

That's not a sports anime.

I am still catching up on the this nazis derail. There were like 60 posts.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Yeah most people aren't interested in the distinction between using actual fascist aesthetics and using actual fascist slogans because it's a distinction you made up seemingly to justify getting mad at an anime you don't like but not an anime you do like.

You're telling me 18-19th century Prussians walked around looking like this? Also, I like 86 and I plan on continuing to watch it, I just think this character is probably gonna suck.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation

Gripweed posted:

Haikyuu is the best sports anime. and Walrus is right

And Gundam Build Fighters is free on Youtube. It's loaded with fun stuff for Gundam fans but is ironically also one of the Gundam series most inviting to new viewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9H1u1zFVNc

I’ve seen some Build Fighters and Build Divers they’re real cool light entertainment to just put on in the background.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

please never try to be funny again, thank you

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Augus posted:

please never try to be funny again, thank you

never try, never fail, that's my motto

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Anime

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRI5uW6DLXg

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

cancelled

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

loving finally.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Reik posted:

Will Japan ever stop using Nazi poo poo in shows? From the latest episode of 86.

blood and soil is cool af phrase. smdh respect to the nazis for nicking it first. other cool phrases: blood and treasure, blood and thunder, etc

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i hate that gundam roly poly thing. the star wars one too

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

i hate that gundam roly poly thing. the star wars one too

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
hollywood using nazis as generic bad guys was way more destructive than anything anime has ever done

now every rear end in a top hat who wants to be a generic bad guy irl is a nazi

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As much as it’s verboten to badmouth LotGH I’ll say it’s not very leftist and is fact pretty lib. It’s pretty enamored with great man history for one, to the degree that actual material and economic factors are completely irrelevant. History is driven entirely by some idea of “virtue” and whether a society succeeds or not depends entirely upon if it’s leaders have enough virtue reserves. The idea that the masses might even have class interests is never even considered. And the eternal war that benefits no one, not even the ruling class, is kept going for nonsensical reasons instead of actual material ones. Like there’s no way a society that still uses loving serfdom for 90% of its population could last so long over a whole planet, much less half the galaxy during a total war. But LotGH has a super romantic view of authoritarianism being efficient and effective.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It has space battles, space power armor, space motorcycles, and space axes. A classic.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The tedious libness of 86 is 100x more annoying and offensive than the nazi poo poo. It's just not a very good show, not worth arguing about.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

galagazombie posted:

As much as it’s verboten to badmouth LotGH I’ll say it’s not very leftist and is fact pretty lib. It’s pretty enamored with great man history for one, to the degree that actual material and economic factors are completely irrelevant. History is driven entirely by some idea of “virtue” and whether a society succeeds or not depends entirely upon if it’s leaders have enough virtue reserves. The idea that the masses might even have class interests is never even considered. And the eternal war that benefits no one, not even the ruling class, is kept going for nonsensical reasons instead of actual material ones. Like there’s no way a society that still uses loving serfdom for 90% of its population could last so long over a whole planet, much less half the galaxy during a total war. But LotGH has a super romantic view of authoritarianism being efficient and effective.

lib take :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

the annoying angry-about-nazis poster is totally right that anime in general absolutely has a weird trend of fetishizing nazi stuff and I think for the Japanese market and the japanese creators it’s innocuous-enough and fine overall

but then there’s an uncomfortably large western audience of statue avis and loli anime avis who just absolutely revel in the sense of representation they project onto that stuff even if it’s somewhat apparent the author doesn’t think it’s good or cool

there’s also a modern lib brain media obsession with pathologizing the villains until we empathize with them and make prequels about how “they were good people who became evil and we are all actually just misunderstood if only we could connect and truly empathize with one another we’d do away with war and misunderstanding 😌”

I truly think if these mangaka had a better grasp on the way their attempts at grappling with these themes and characters were received by a not insignificant part of the western audience, they’d change their approach

edit: it’s also totally correct that the west fetishizes the Hugo boss stuff and nazi themes in their own ways which have big issues too