Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

We'll be finding out soon enough exactly how this goes.

Too bad our top state politicians can't keep their pants on long enough to not let some religious psycho into the premiership so NSW has to hope nothing goes wrong because we are apparently not going to be reacting to any actual developments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I can't wait for restrictions in Vic ease so I can resume licking door knobs across the entirety of the State and not just within 15km of my home.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

In WA the biggest impact I'm dealing with right now is that all the tourist spots are booked solid. I'd like for that to remain my biggest covid related issue for as long as is feasible.

Hate to break this to you, but you will be getting a does of Covid reality in WA with in the next couple of months. By new year eve apparently.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

I mean, sure...but people aren't going to not see their families etc. There is no sense keeping intense restrictions with massive vaccination rates.

When Victoria's restrictions are lifted I'll go see friends in their homes, maybe do some outdoor dining depending on case numbers etc, but I don't see myself rushing back into an indoor restaurant or a cinema any time soon. I doubt I'm the only one and I think a lot of businesses are going to continue to struggle/collapse for some time to come, especially as the government continues knocking financial support away.

edit - like, I do think a majority of people will be happy to go back to life as it was (or close enough) but I'm wondering how that maps out financially for a business if trade is down even 10% or 20% compared to 2019.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah I feel bad for WA, people are going to be unhappy with what living with COVID looks like once they open the after nearly zero masks and restrictions for most of the pandemic. It's going to be a tough transition.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Aware posted:

Yeah I feel bad for WA, people are going to be unhappy with what living with COVID looks like once they open the after nearly zero masks and restrictions for most of the pandemic. It's going to be a tough transition.

On the other hand, they won't need to suffer through restrictions we know don't work.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If "having to start wearing masks and such was a bit of an adjustment" is the hardest thing anybody goes through during the pandemic I don't think anybody needs to feel sorry for them

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm not going back to indoor dining, cinemas, in-person grocery shopping or general mall walking. The days when I'd just cruise into the canberra centre with the fam to browse and get a gelato are long gone.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

abigserve posted:

I'm not going back to indoor dining, cinemas, in-person grocery shopping or general mall walking. The days when I'd just cruise into the canberra centre with the fam to browse and get a gelato are long gone.

On the other hand I can imagine that I will eventually go back to these things after inevitably catching COVID, especially if I have to go back to the office anyway.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

Aware posted:

I am an ambulance officer, I have been living with covid bullshit in WA for almost 2 years with no infections, we are all so tired, a lot if the restrictions we are under are pointless bullshit. Ambos are tired, nurses are tired and doctors are tired. Then we get watched by shithead security guards all the loving time in case some fucks up wearing there mask, can you imagine the kind of people they employ to do that.

I'll be honest open poo poo up and bring it on, the wait is doing my loving head in. It is doing in the heads of everyone I know. Plus it might give the anti vaxxers a does of reality, already lost my best friend and cousin to that anti vaccination bullshit.

On a related note anyone related to farmers please ask em to follow OHS rules. My neighbours plunged 10 metres to their deaths the other day using a telehandler and an icb as a elevated work platform. This was only a couple of hours after our other neighbour told em to use the proper equipment because it is not worth taking a short cut and injuring your self.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Launchpad McQuack posted:

Hate to break this to you, but you will be getting a does of Covid reality in WA with in the next couple of months. By new year eve apparently.

When did this happen? Last I heard was Feb/March. gently caress :smith:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Quite a few people out and about in Blacktown be now. All wearing masks, which are no longer required outside.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm going to keep wearing my mask outside in crowded places for a while yet. It's easier just to keep it on while I'm doing the shopping anyway.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

freebooter posted:

On the other hand I can imagine that I will eventually go back to these things after inevitably catching COVID, especially if I have to go back to the office anyway.

Interestingly I was dreading the loss of all those things I mentioned because they were a very easy way to keep littleserve amused, but in retrospect the lockdown has actually been good for all of us and we spend a lot more healthy quality time together. Instead of going to the shops we go for a walk, instead of going to an indoor play centre we go to one of the nice outdoor ones, etc.

Now that we can have two visitors as well and my folks can come over...it sounds weird, but life isn't back to normal, instead, it's better than it was before in many ways.

The only thing still missing is playgroup and childcare/school.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

yoloer420 posted:

I'm glad to hear you're not in favour of "let er rip". Your post history tells a story about opposing restrictions, specifically border controls.

I was opposed to stopping people from leaving the country, not entering.

quote:

Including misstatements about human rights legislation -- for which there are public health exemptions

Something can be a human rights abuse, I don't really care what legislation says about it.

quote:

It isn't a difficult leap to connect "border restrictions are bad" to "let er rip" given that border controls are indeed the primary way Australia has been minimising the impact of covid.

Yes it is, because I have repeatedly said in this thread that I opposed stopping allowing people from leaving, not entering. The fact you were too lazy to read my posts in detail is your problem, not mine.

quote:

In WA the biggest impact I'm dealing with right now is that all the tourist spots are booked solid. I'd like for that to remain my biggest covid related issue for as long as is feasible.

What's that got to do with me?

abigserve posted:

This makes me sad but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Fully vaxed in NSW but I'm definitely wearing a mask everywhere. What a stupid idea to remove that restriction - who's going to enforce it for unvaxed?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to go to the boxing day test and get loving plastered.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

StrangeThing posted:

What's that got to do with me?

StrangeThing posted:

Sure. But it's unrealistic, and will decimate the tourism industry. That's a real thing to consider.

You'd previously said that the tourist industry would be decimated. It's doing super.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I'm going to keep wearing my full face shield and mask combo now that it's socially acceptable because you're all loving disgusting

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

yoloer420 posted:

You'd previously said that the tourist industry would be decimated. It's doing super.

That's good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's going to be interesting post covid, with how back to normal some places are going to go. Especially with people who are working from home and want to continue, and people who are used to getting deliveries.

Lot's of brick and mortar stores that might of had 10 years left probably don't have any now.

Places that didn't have much of a lockdown probably won't be affected much, but NSW/VIC I would imagine will be different from here on out.

Hopefully at least as far as with working from home stuff, better.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Hey look, News Corp have discovered climate change:

https://twitter.com/meadea/status/1447333305687306243?t=PYLhRb76fKjyesLg8PmFwg&s=19

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah I'm never not masking in public again. And even if covid magically deleted itself I'd continue masking during flu season. Asia was right about masks all along and now that I've gotten past the unfamiliarity of it I'm just gonna keep doing it. Not getting sick has been awesome and I don't wanna go back to catching bullshit diseases just so random people can see my mouth and nose.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

...what the gently caress?

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Phigs posted:

Yeah I'm never not masking in public again. And even if covid magically deleted itself I'd continue masking during flu season. Asia was right about masks all along and now that I've gotten past the unfamiliarity of it I'm just gonna keep doing it. Not getting sick has been awesome and I don't wanna go back to catching bullshit diseases just so random people can see my mouth and nose.

I honestly hope masks are here to stay, and people will at least mask up when sick in future because it owns and my immune system has got to be like wet tissue now after all the rona measures and I don't wanna get destroyed by the first common cold I encounter.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They'll need to allow more working from home because nobody can afford a house close to where they work

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Phigs posted:

First stop masks.

Next mission bidets.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anyone who thinks hospital care isn't going to be drastically affected by opening up is an absolute moron (even setting aside it already has been, with elective surgery postponement etc).

Currently in Victoria's they're trialling a new setup for intensive care. Standard practice is a 1:1 nurse:patient ratio fully staffed by qualified IC nurses. They're planning for a move to having one qualified nurse responsible for two patients, and an underqualified (registered, but not intensive care trained) nurse helping out with the more menial tasks for one of those patients - dressings, over the counter meds, etc. My wife had to babysit one last week who couldn't even do basic med dosage calculations.

People are going to die because of the reduced quality of care even setting aside any actual deaths from COVID and people who can't even get a bed.

:shrug:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If we remove intensive care altogether then nobody can claim it's understaffed and underfunded.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Just close all the hospitals like WA

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/nickschadegg/status/1446994060778999809

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 11, 2021

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I put on my hazmat suit every time I log on

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Phigs posted:

i like my mask because i can mouth the words "dick head" at the people protesting against masks and they don't even need to know

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/isigniwander/status/1447363711161622531

What a prick.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

People are going to die because of the reduced quality of care even setting aside any actual deaths from COVID and people who can't even get a bed.

:shrug:

GOTTA OPEN UP SOMETIME! :downsbravo:

gently caress :sigh:

abigserve posted:

...what the gently caress?

The resources companies figured out how to convert coal into hydrogen, so now they're ready to greenwash coal mining and get even richer.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 11, 2021

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

What is the rationale of this? Didn’t even know this was optional.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

But why?

Budgetary issues? He doesn't want to pay for the interpreter?

Does his weirdo christian sect have some issue with deaf people?

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

yoloer420 posted:

GOTTA OPEN UP SOMETIME! :downsbravo:

gently caress :sigh:

What would you make you feel more comfortable re: the roadmap? 90% vax? 95?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Never open. Shut in goon life forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Perhaps a slower more considered opening that tested what kind of effect this would have on the public health system. Start with one area for a fortnight then roll it out when you know if you've hosed your medical services even more.