Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Finally I can bring back my Hadozee With A Rope Around His Waist Being Pulled Through The Air Like A Kite character concept. Who gets the best ground speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I thought the plasmoid was the worst of the bunch mechanically paired with the best concept (they could have given it extra grappling appendages or at least a swim speed) but I realized that changing the creature type to "ooze" negates hold person, most charm spells, etc. The mechano-gnome and thri-kreen are just objectively better, though.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

change my name posted:

I thought the plasmoid was the worst of the bunch mechanically paired with the best concept (they could have given it extra grappling appendages or at least a swim speed) but I realized that changing the creature type to "ooze" negates hold person, most charm spells, etc. The mechano-gnome and thri-kreen are just objectively better, though.

Resistance to damage types is also a pretty big get for a racial ability, especially a resistance to poison. While poison damage is pretty lackluster for players, there's a good chunk of the Monster Manual that deals the majority of its damage through poison, so gaining resistance to it is going to be a pretty major piece of damage reduction over the course of a campaign.

I felt the Giff were the weakest overall, mechanically - While the ability to reroll 1s for any melee attack and advantage on strength checks and saves are pretty universally useful, their traits overall felt like they were lacking the narrative flexibility and charm of the other race options. It didn't help that they only got two racial traits (And a swim speed) while the others got a larger smattering. The fact that "Is big and strong" is already half a dozen race's racial niche already means that it just makes the Giff feel that much more generic from a mechanical POV.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Aren't they supposed to be good with guns, too? I do agree the Jiff seem quite underwhelming. Hopefully they will get something that makes them more unique in the actual release.

Speaking of, how much do things change from playtest to release?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

Aren't they supposed to be good with guns, too? I do agree the Jiff seem quite underwhelming. Hopefully they will get something that makes them more unique in the actual release.

you know i love you, and you know i hate you for this

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kinda hoping the inclusion of astral elves and multiverse references is an indicator they’ll combine Planescape and Spelljammer into one setting.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I want to play a bug wielding four crossbows

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Drewjitsu posted:

Getting to rerolls a 1 is mathematically an extra .5 to damage at all levels. Seems pretty good tbh.

Also I see what you did with Jiff and hate you for it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Froghammer posted:

Getting to rerolls a 1 is mathematically an extra .5 to damage at all levels. Seems pretty good tbh.

Please God kill these loving boring racials

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

please knock Mom! posted:

Please God kill these loving boring racials
I mean if you need an incentive to play a hippo man beyond getting to play a hippo man then I don't know what to tell you

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are the main usages of fog cloud, I can never seem to find a scenario to use it where it doesn't affect the party just as much. My main use seems to be "I guess I'll smoke bomb and use it to discourage archers from turning my squishy spellcaster into a pincushion" but I feel like there should be more usages than that.

If we cover the enemy: Great now we can't see or attack them effectively.
If we cover ourselves: Same basically?

I feel like I should be getting a lot more use out of it but it never seems to happen.

If you cannot be seen, you are protected against a substantial subset of spells because many spells require a target or creature "you can see" in order to be cast.
The other main advantage is that creating a heavily obscured area permits hiding via Stealth checks. Standing in the middle of a bare 40 X 40 foot dungeon chamber, you can't hide. Standing in the middle of a Fog Cloud, you can hide. Besides forcing attackers to either make perception checks or guess a target square when attacking you, that also could grant you advantage when you get to the edge of the cloud, depending upon how your DM handles making attacks out of cover and obscurement (some may permit advantage, others may say once you've poked your head and weapon around a corner you are no longer hiding).

There's a few other subtle things you get out of Fog Cloud. For example, when fighting wolves or kobolds or other monsters with Pack Tactics, you negate their Pack Tactics advantage entirely because sources of advantage and disadvantage do not stack. If everyone is blinded, nobody can get advantage on an attack. That can sometimes protect you against Sneak Attack, too, although less frequently. It also negates any other means of gaining advantage on an attack, assuming of course that both groups are blinded by the effect. Of course, it also helps certain monsters with senses that permit them to ignore the obscured area entirely.

Lastly, it can be the "squid escape" spell. Drop the cloud to block LoS between you and your foes, and then run for it. If there's multiple ways for you to flee, they can't see which one you took.

pog boyfriend posted:

the funniest interaction in 5e is that by closing your eyes you give yourself disadvantage, but if you have the lucky feat you turn disadvantage into super advantage, so closing your eyes and using lucky points lets you get absurdly accurate shots

From my class redesign project: this is a feature from the Lucky Blade, a Hybrid Int/Dex class:
EASIER WITH MY EYES CLOSED
9th level
Whenever you have disadvantage on an attack roll, you can choose to automatically hit with the attack instead of rolling. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest or until you expend a spell slot of L2 or higher.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey guys, how would I lower the challenge rating of a monster? Reduce it's hit dice? I want to use a Shadow Demon as a boss for my level 2 party of 4 but I'm afraid at CR 4 it'll wipe the floor with them, especially at the end of the dungeon. Is there a specific method of weakening a monster?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, how would I lower the challenge rating of a monster? Reduce it's hit dice? I want to use a Shadow Demon as a boss for my level 2 party of 4 but I'm afraid at CR 4 it'll wipe the floor with them, especially at the end of the dungeon. Is there a specific method of weakening a monster?

5etools allows you to mess with the CR of a creature via some automatic stuff.

It's not perfect but it's a start.

You probably could get away with just running a CR4 creature, so long as you signpost it, and create an encounter where they can get some sort of light, assuming they aren't completely tapped out.

But yeah just lower it's HP a bit and take a dice(or two if they are completely tapped) off of the advantage attack.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Dexo posted:

5etools allows you to mess with the CR of a creature via some automatic stuff.

It's not perfect but it's a start.

You probably could get away with just running a CR4 creature, so long as you signpost it, and create an encounter where they can get some sort of light, assuming they aren't completely tapped out.

But yeah just lower it's HP a bit and take a dice(or two if they are completely tapped) off of the advantage attack.

This is awesome, thank you so much! I'll keep both versions handy; if they get to this guy and are struggling I'll go with the weaker version.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
In the DMG there's a chart in the "design your own monster" section (sorry I can't remember the page number).

It'll give you a range spread of stats per CR. Try to balance around those suggestions, particularly avg. damage per round as well as it's to-hit.

Traits for the monster often boost it's defense or offense so try to keep that in mind.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Keep in mind that CR nudging works pretty well for mostly adjacent CRs - from 1 to 4, for instance - but the tool breaks down if you try to turn a cr 12 monster into a cr 3 monster.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mendrian posted:

Keep in mind that CR nudging works pretty well for mostly adjacent CRs - from 1 to 4, for instance - but the tool breaks down if you try to turn a cr 12 monster into a cr 3 monster.

For this couldn't you use Dragons as an example? Look at the age brackets and then reskin accordingly?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

For this couldn't you use Dragons as an example? Look at the age brackets and then reskin accordingly?

Kind of? Not really? Dragons, at each successive age bracket, get something new in their bag of tricks, whether it's multiattack or legendary/lair actions or whatever. Even assuming you don't use the variant innate spellcasting rules (which imo you should), I don't know that you could really use them as a template for other monsters that effectively. There's a world of difference between, like, a wyrmling and an adult.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I mean, the Giff racial bonus can get pretty silly if you're a high level rogue, rerolling all your 1s on your Sneak Attack, especially if you also staple on a Booming Blade off of the Magic Initiate feat. I do wonder though, with the Autognome's Armored Casing racial trait (AC is 13 plus your dex mod if you're not wearing armour) - how would that work for a monk's or barbarian's Unarmored Defense? Would it just be 13 plus your dexterity and wisdom or constitution modifiers?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Same as with warforged or lizardfolk, in that you can pick how your ac is calculated. No they don’t stack.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Fizban's ToC from someone who got it early.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Yusin posted:

Fizban's ToC from someone who got it early.

Awww, sad to see mithril, cobalt, grey, brown, etc. dragons were cut.

Still surprised they didn't do a dragon patron for warlocks.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ha that’s funny one of the named sidebar dragons is the Dragon goddess of wealth and treasure and this is a thing on the wiki about her.

quote:

Dragons who worshiped Astilabor sometimes promised a share of their gains to the deity if she helped them in their ventures, but never sacrificed what they had promised to her, as they believed Astilabor would lose her respect for them if they gave up their wealth so easily.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm trying to save money but,

Dragons are pretty cool, and that book has a lot of Dragons in it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I wasn't going to get it...but that has raised my interest

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
In light of how many times the word "dragon" appears just in that ToC it really tickles me that the first listing in the "sidebars" section is "Dragons and Dragons".

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I like these little Adventure Hooks for Dragon Types.

KingKalamari posted:

In light of how many times the word "dragon" appears just in that ToC it really tickles me that the first listing in the "sidebars" section is "Dragons and Dragons".

The first page which was also shown off has that sidebar.

Also for fun a Draconian foot soldier (AKA Baaz)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yusin posted:

I like these little Adventure Hooks for Dragon Types.

The first page which was also shown off has that sidebar.

Also for fun a Draconian foot soldier (AKA Baaz)

Do Draconians return!? :swoon:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Draconians are basically the perfect mooks. Hyped for their return.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Froghammer posted:

Draconians are basically the perfect mooks. Hyped for their return.

I want to play as them and build a utopia for my favourite dragon people :(

Doom Brigade & Draconian Measures were what I would consider the seminal Dragonlance novels for me; I really fell in love with the world then.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Draconians do a couple of key things.

1. They're an easily identifiable enemy mook that needs to get killed on sight in a way that doesn't edge closer to racial superiority and ethnic cleansing. The "what do we do about the Draconian children" isn't a question the party needs to ethically raise, because there aren'tDraconian children. They're basically semi-sentient clones. Narratively they exist solely for the party to cut down in large numbers.

2. There's a billion plot hooks that come from their involvement, because their existence implies a larger economy of dragon egg theft / smuggling / chicanery. The only reason to make Draconians is if you're up to no good, so if the party sees one, they know whoever made it is up to no good.

3. There's a learning curve in fighting them. A Draconian or two aren't dangerous to a low level party, but the first time the PCs kill one the fight's gonna go sideways real quick. Once they figure out how they work, they're living bombs that can be kicked around combats for maximum hilarity.

Draconians are great

megane
Jun 20, 2008

“Blue dragon press-gangs the PCs into a fashion show” is :discourse:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Froghammer posted:

Draconians do a couple of key things.

1. They're an easily identifiable enemy mook that needs to get killed on sight in a way that doesn't edge closer to racial superiority and ethnic cleansing. The "what do we do about the Draconian children" isn't a question the party needs to ethically raise, because there aren'tDraconian children. They're basically semi-sentient clones. Narratively they exist solely for the party to cut down in large numbers.

Uh... This hasn't been true for a while... And some parts of this have definitely never been true.. Draconians have always been free willed individuals who like Clone Troopers were conditioned to serve as evil foot soldiers of a tyrannical regime; the two books I mentioned above plus the various short stores that features Kang's regiment have done a lot to flesh them out and humanize them. And in those two books the entire plot is them finding female Draconian eggs and founding a fully functioning civilization in the ruins of an ancient Dwarven city.

Seriously read Doom Brigade & Draconian Measures they're great; Draconians are great but because they're cool characters and I really emphasize with their personal stories and their world building which is just endlessly fascinating to think about because its very novel.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Uh... This hasn't been true for a while... And some parts of this have definitely never been true.. Draconians have always been free willed individuals who like Clone Troopers were conditioned to serve as evil foot soldiers of a tyrannical regime; the two books I mentioned above plus the various short stores that features Kang's regiment have done a lot to flesh them out and humanize them. And in those two books the entire plot is them finding female Draconian eggs and founding a fully functioning civilization in the ruins of an ancient Dwarven city.

Seriously read Doom Brigade & Draconian Measures they're great; Draconians are great but because they're cool characters and I really emphasize with their personal stories and their world building which is just endlessly fascinating to think about because its very novel.

Sadly none of this is canon for the 5e draconians unless WotC explicitly says it is in this new supplement. I found a nice pasture to retire to where the kids don’t walk on our lawn too much, you should come with me. Please. Don’t make this any harder than it has to be for any of us. It’s time to go.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arivia posted:

Sadly none of this is canon for the 5e draconians unless WotC explicitly says it is in this new supplement. I found a nice pasture to retire to where the kids don’t walk on our lawn too much, you should come with me. Please. Don’t make this any harder than it has to be for any of us. It’s time to go.

I don't know where Froghammer got their information from, I assumed it was from only reading the War of the Lance Dragonlance books where/when that post was approximately true, if the supplement doesn't elaborate on the events that made Draconians on equal footing with the other races that seems tragic and disappointing since to my mind Dragonborn were just pale imitations to make "playable" draconians and I was hopeful to get to play as regular Draconians in a 5e setting officially and not using homebrew.

e: Maybe the official Dragonlance 5e book if its released will fix that issue.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 11, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
You're 100% not going to get playable Draconian rules in 5e

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Froghammer posted:

You're 100% not going to get playable Draconian rules in 5e

I don't see why not.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't see why not.

At the very least you are not getting playable Draconians in this book. The five primary Draconians are part of the bestiary in the ToC. However it’s pretty easy to refluff a Dragonborn as a Draconian.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Idk man, based on your posting history in this thread I don't think you're a person worth engaging with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dienes posted:

Awww, sad to see mithril, cobalt, grey, brown, etc. dragons were cut.

I vaguely remember them from the 2/3/3.5 era. Were they from Dragon magazine or one of the monster manuals?