Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Slavik posted:

Is there any need to do hunting now?

No, you'll get anything you need organically, and the stuff you trade those for, you'll be short gunpowder which only comes from special chests and drops anyways. I was only limited by the stuff you trade furs/meats for like twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

so is this area different for anyone? I noticed the key for this door next to the FNC crate never spawned (you can just blow the door up but whatever), so I looked it up and some people are saying this is a checkpoint you can take over. It's not one, for me. Some people are saying that you can eventually get the mission to take that checkpoint if you just keep following the story, but I'm up to the Verdera Prisoner Rescue and it seems weird to me that it's taking so long since that point is right next to the base lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I a weirdo for kind of missing Montana and hell even Kyrat. It’s not that the locations or ugly or anything it just feels been there done that in a weird way. I suspect that’s mostly because of jungle settings being very common in FPS and other genres vs Montana.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

the gloves that let your throwing axes lock onto people whip rear end

That might just tempt me away from the gloves that automatically start the extinguish fire animation. So many deaths in the previous games when I didn't press the button quick enough :allears:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Babe Magnet posted:

The what now? Does it behave like the Hitman briefcase or more of just they kinda swerve to hit their target?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they kind of correct the trajectory of the throwing axe/knife a little bit. it's not like a robocop lock-on, you still have to be mostly on target, but you don't have to be nearly as accurate for kill-shots

My go-to for stealth at this point is those gloves + throwing axes + the mac-11 silenced, with the silencer cooldown speed reduction and body-shot damage mods. Just sprinting around compounds at full speed mulching people lol

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I've found the AS VAL is top tier for stealth, good at range, good close up, and a built in suppressor so it never overheats.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Babe Magnet posted:

so is this area different for anyone? I noticed the key for this door next to the FNC crate never spawned (you can just blow the door up but whatever), so I looked it up and some people are saying this is a checkpoint you can take over. It's not one, for me. Some people are saying that you can eventually get the mission to take that checkpoint if you just keep following the story, but I'm up to the Verdera Prisoner Rescue and it seems weird to me that it's taking so long since that point is right next to the base lol

For the checkpoints you can just roll up on it, blow up the billboard and clear the soldados and it’ll flip. No need to wait for the mission to pop if you’re there and ready to rock and roll. At one point I grabbed a tank and cleared all the checkpoints on one of the major roads. It owned.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Lone Badger posted:

Biology facts: fascists can't see the colour blue.

they also arnt that smart and are bad with pattern recognition.

shortspecialbus posted:

My biggest complaint is that it takes 3-4 rpg rounds to bring down the bigger rocket copters. Obnoxious.

my issue is weird poo poo like the flamethrower does dick damage wise to like regular shlubs. its loving weird.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was mediocre on FC 4, 5 and New Dawn, but finished them all because I dunno there’s always something kind of cathartic about this type of game. The gun play also always delivers. So far, I think FC6 is significantly better than the previous games. I’m playing on PS5, just got to the main world, and I’m free flowing from place to place in between missions and feeling pretty awesome in big gun fights. The mobility and shooting is quite good and I feel I can rush around from cover to cover, zig zag through buildings, flank, etc and really close in kill the enemies. It’s definitely a break away from the priors, where silenced bow/sniper action before going hot was pretty much mandatory to deal with the onslaught of ads. Something about the weapons being built out of literal guerrilla junk and the heavier focus on close-mid distance fighting makes this a lot more fun.

The world, characters, female Dani, all I really dig. I like it so much more than FC5’s setting and characters. Female Dani hums to herself while riding horseback, or sings along in the car, so many little things that flesh her out. The voice lines for some of the plot might feel basic but poo poo, they have to say a lot of this stuff as basic as possible to make sure people understand it. That speech from Carla though, about wanting to be feared? Holy poo poo that was a strong moment.

The graphics aren’t amazing, they are very good and the world is extremely rich in detail and variety, but in comparison to BF2042 graphics, or some of the other native PS5 engines.. there is a sharpness and “newness” that’s a bit missed. This often feels like a heavily pumped up TLOU engine instead of a Unreal 5 engine.

If you like Far Cry even a bit, yeah this is more of it, but in a good way. A very fun and good way with tons of exploration (pays off richly, I have a few unique weapons already that really own hard), and definitely the most complex crafting/upgrade system to date for the series.

So which of the 4 starting backpacks or resolver weapons do you all think is best to purchase first? The defender and EMP ones seem good, so does the crossbow. I have heard some say the rocket launcher is basically mandatory because there’s so many enemy helicopters, which was a let down for them, you all feel that’s the case?

this. i think the game is probably the best since 4 and probably the best one outside blood dragon. one of the things i like are how dynamic battles happen all the time in far cry games. its cool.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

For the checkpoints you can just roll up on it, blow up the billboard and clear the soldados and it’ll flip. No need to wait for the mission to pop if you’re there and ready to rock and roll. At one point I grabbed a tank and cleared all the checkpoints on one of the major roads. It owned.

I feel like I did do that, but maybe I wasn't paying attention and missed the billboard. Likely I figured, "the game isn't telling me I can do it, so I probably can't" lol. If I can flip checkpoints without even having the red objective marker than I'll go try that here in a bit.

Babe Magnet posted:

they kind of correct the trajectory of the throwing axe/knife a little bit. it's not like a robocop lock-on, you still have to be mostly on target, but you don't have to be nearly as accurate for kill-shots

btw I kept forgetting to post this but the gloves I'm talking about are the Dark Tech Gloves. You can probably just find them somewhere or you can buy them. I'm preeeetty sure you can find everything in that store out in the world.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 10, 2021

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

I feel like I did do that, but maybe I wasn't paying attention and missed the billboard. Likely I figured, "the game isn't telling me I can do it, so I probably can't" lol. If I can flip checkpoints without even having the red objective marker than I'll go try that here in a bit.

Same thing happened for me on that one, there wasn't anything there to blow up, if I remember right. I couldn't figure out what to do.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It looks like a checkpoint that just didn't spawn properly. I've seen videos of people picking up the key to that door, but the key didn't spawn for me. You can blow up the door to get the chest inside but I don't want to like, lock out the checkpoint or whatever in case it's not spawning because of a bug lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Am I a weirdo for kind of missing Montana and hell even Kyrat. It’s not that the locations or ugly or anything it just feels been there done that in a weird way. I suspect that’s mostly because of jungle settings being very common in FPS and other genres vs Montana.

and in the series. the first three FC games all have jungle environments

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

and in the series. the first three FC games all have jungle environments

Yeah that too, I also think Kyrat and Montana just had far more diverse biomes and locales too.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I know folks sometimes want more “grounded” Far Cry games but…if it means I have to lose stuff like Chicharron, then I don’t want it.

Love this fuckin’ rooster.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phetz posted:

The bribe-able soldiers should have that black diamond with an exclamation point icon over their heads, like the guerillas who tell you where to find AA guns and whatnot. As for the minimap, I think you turn it back on in the HUD settings.

Oh okay, i know exactly what I'm looking for. I turned on outlines because at lowest settings I couldn't see any enemies unless they were right in front of me.

I love the parachute, it makes me feel like i'm in a FPS Just Cause game. Also I fought my first armored enemy, and i just kept blasting him with the incendiary shotgun as he screamed and died. Next time don't join the fascist army. I would rather carry this than the weak rear end flamer.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Ultrawide display, whenever I get in a tank it crops the sides of the UI off.

I have to restart to fix it :(

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

It looks like a checkpoint that just didn't spawn properly. I've seen videos of people picking up the key to that door, but the key didn't spawn for me. You can blow up the door to get the chest inside but I don't want to like, lock out the checkpoint or whatever in case it's not spawning because of a bug lol

If you flip a checkpoint, you don't need the key. Just go to the locked door and Use Key and key or not it will let you in to loot everything.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I know, the problem is the checkpoint isn't spawning for me to flip. I'm probably just getting real unlucky with the exclamation point guys giving me directions to bases and such, since I've done a bunch of them and now I'm not seeing any more in that area lol

e: don't forget to pick up your special gift Chorizo gave you the key for...

hint: check the description of the key

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 11, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is anyone else having issues with the coop partner getting disconnected all the time? No issues with internet in general in any other game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have other people found the planecar? It's pretty fun, even if I do have a tendency to crash into streetlights and explode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
ugh so many guns, not enough gun powder to make mods.

Also do ranks just increase your damage against enemies? Or is it something more nebulous.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ranks add new stuff to shops, not sure if they do anything else.

Remember that mods are shared within a category. If you've built a rifle silencer then you can put it on as many rifles as you like, but will need a seperate shotgun silencer.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've just been using the same repeater rifle from the first island with a silencer and a mod to add 1 extra shot. Has gotten me through everything. Except helicopters. gently caress them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aware posted:

I've just been using the same repeater rifle from the first island with a silencer and a mod to add 1 extra shot. Has gotten me through everything. Except helicopters. gently caress them.

I found mounted guns really gently caress them up seriously.

The Lone Badger posted:

Ranks add new stuff to shops, not sure if they do anything else.

Remember that mods are shared within a category. If you've built a rifle silencer then you can put it on as many rifles as you like, but will need a seperate shotgun silencer.

Really? I have the AK and the FAL and I had to make AP ammo for the AK. Or maybe I just thought I did.

I think Rank does something like reduce or increase damage. I tried to take on the 4 rank stuff on tutorial island when i was only rank 2 and got just destroyed. But at Rank 3 i was able to do it will some difficulty, but no more one hit means death.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I toured through a Rank 8 Main Town as a Rank 3, two headshots from my starter island rifle to take people down. Took the checkpoints that lead into the city, now who's surrounded :smug:

Are non-unique weapons crate locations randomized? I've somehow managed to get every single Auto-Pistol but not single one regular one outside of the starter pistol and a revolver that I bought that's no better than the Autocrat unique I got but it has less ammo and a longer reload.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The flamethrower seemed to have two modes. If your not ads’ing it’s kind of a wide spray but very close range. If you ads it turns into a mid range fire squirter (my nickname in high school).

Can I just say the haptic triggers on PS5 are incredible? I didn’t know the resistance in them could go that high. Flying a junk helicopter around or driving a crappy car is just.. it’s so legit. TLOU2 really definitively nailed the haptic effect of riding a horse and this is like 6/10 that. Kinda my only sadness is the horse riding doesn’t feel like TLOU2 riding. Seriously if any of you haven’t used haptic PS5 controllers, or played TLOU2 or my god Returnal.. you’re really missing out on prob one of the best advances in games this decade.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

The flamethrower seemed to have two modes. If your not ads’ing it’s kind of a wide spray but very close range. If you ads it turns into a mid range fire squirter (my nickname in high school).

Can I just say the haptic triggers on PS5 are incredible? I didn’t know the resistance in them could go that high. Flying a junk helicopter around or driving a crappy car is just.. it’s so legit. TLOU2 really definitively nailed the haptic effect of riding a horse and this is like 6/10 that. Kinda my only sadness is the horse riding doesn’t feel like TLOU2 riding. Seriously if any of you haven’t used haptic PS5 controllers, or played TLOU2 or my god Returnal.. you’re really missing out on prob one of the best advances in games this decade.

The PC version is also compatible with the PS5 controller, and it works with full adaptive trigger functionality. And it does indeed feel awesome. I still prefer playing with a keyboard and mouse, but the PS5 controller support is so good that it's making me want to switch over.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol "Spur of the Moment" (the chicken fighter quest) is great

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I had a checkpoint not spawn properly but I kept playing and eventually a random questgiver guy unlocked it for me.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I just had a dude whistle me over and give me a checkpoint. He didn't even have an exclamation mark over his head.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I have flipped probably a dozen or so checkpoints without needing the checkpoint on the map. Just kill the mans and the billboard. Done. I literally roll up on them from nowhere and do this. I'm trying to tell you, you don't need to have it show up on the map to do this.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Not sure why I didn't realize this but you can scan vehicles with your phone and collect them. I know they say to take them back to the vehicle pickup but you don't have to do that. Doesn't work for military vehicles of course.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Babe Magnet posted:

Where are these :stare:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Nah, both environments were really pretty. Montana reminded me of visiting my grandparents :unsmith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Where are these :stare:

I cannot for the life of me remember exactly where I picked them up but if my map is filling out how I think it is, it's going to be one of the caches in the southeast corner of Madruagada, near the tobacco factory. Unless clothing is random, like I suspect guns are. Or you can buy them lol. They're the Dark Tech Gloves.

Finster Dexter posted:

I have flipped probably a dozen or so checkpoints without needing the checkpoint on the map. Just kill the mans and the billboard. Done. I literally roll up on them from nowhere and do this. I'm trying to tell you, you don't need to have it show up on the map to do this.

nah man. standing there right now. no billboards, no enemy AI in sight. poo poo's broke. Holding out for a random NPC to give me a mission here but they're starting to give me jobs to do on the other side of the map lol

(that billboard in the back is one of the giant invincible ones, not the red ones you break to capture checkpoints. If I didn't already break it, it would be on the left)

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 11, 2021

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Babe Magnet posted:

I cannot for the life of me remember exactly where I picked them up but if my map is filling out how I think it is, it's going to be one of the caches in the southeast corner of Madruagada, near the tobacco factory. Unless clothing is random, like I suspect guns are. Or you can buy them lol. They're the Dark Tech Gloves.

Yeah I found 'em for sale at a vendor at a captured base, holy poo poo these are hilarious. It's almost like the curve you get throwing weapons in Red Dead with dead eye active :haw:

Enoch3114
Oct 2, 2021
Anyone else having their amigos completely disappear?

Even if I dismiss them and resummon they don't come back and neither loading the game back or fast travelling doesn't fix it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If my silencer catches fire does that just mean my gun is noisy now?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah, you gotta let it cool off. you don't have to replace the silencer or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But I'm not taking any other penalties if it's overheating because I went loud?