Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Not wanting to pay extra for the "please be careful and track this" thing and assuming nothing would go wrong, except this time it did, I guess?

Honestly, it's a crusty meme older than pretty much anyone who would receive the award at this point. The Indiana Jones RPG was notoriously bad when it came out, but that was decades ago now and it might not even crack the top 5 of notoriously bad RPGs nowadays. I don't totally agree with comparing the Diana Jones award to the Academy Awards, but they certainly share an insular selection committee setups and lots of weak progressive gesticulating.

It's basically perfect as a result of this, though. The worst RPGs now are the worst because they're fundamentally offensive. Crap like RaHoWa, FATAL, etc. No one wants to make an award out of that. Indiana Jones was just regular awful. Poorly written, vaguely sexist in a dumb 80s way (the rule explanation featured Indy trying to whip a cigar out of a student's mouth and either frightening her or just accidentally whipping her in the face), exactly the kind of mediocre lovely that no one will hate enough to give a poo poo about being in your ugly little lucite pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

theironjef posted:

It's basically perfect as a result of this, though. The worst RPGs now are the worst because they're fundamentally offensive. Crap like RaHoWa, FATAL, etc. No one wants to make an award out of that. Indiana Jones was just regular awful. Poorly written, vaguely sexist in a dumb 80s way (the rule explanation featured Indy trying to whip a cigar out of a student's mouth and either frightening her or just accidentally whipping her in the face), exactly the kind of mediocre lovely that no one will hate enough to give a poo poo about being in your ugly little lucite pyramid.

It's notable in the sense that it was the first flop of a major IP being transposed into an RPG format, and in a way that undermines every letter in the "Role Playing Game" abbreviation. The awards themselves aren't negative ones like the Razzies though, and are supposed to be nods to quality or notable games. Or the limp choices to give it to the faceless mass of "Actual Play Streamers" or "Black Excellence" I guess. Losing the trophy that's just a dated in-joke might be for the best in the long run if they actually want to treat the awards as a serious endeavor to help uplift and recognize new and diverse talent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

theironjef posted:

It's basically perfect as a result of this, though. The worst RPGs now are the worst because they're fundamentally offensive. Crap like RaHoWa, FATAL, etc.

Oh no did someone actually make a RaHoWa RPG?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

moths posted:

Oh no did someone actually make a RaHoWa RPG?

Sort of.... RaHoWa, FATAL, and HYBRID were considered the unholy trinity of the worst RPGs by RPGnet reviewers for a long time. Except really RaHoWa and HYBRID are more like the indiscriminate scrawling of separate racist people having mental breakdowns, but in that specific way where sometimes the person try to create a mechanical logic loop to things. This isn't me condemning or mocking mentally ill people it's just legit what they appear to be. FATAL, at least, is the lucid, earnest effort of one vile individual trying to create an RPG to fit his "tastes."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

RaHoWa is also notable for never being completed and also designed so poorly that your Nazi protagonists actually can't ever win a fight against a minority villain, so it's not even brokenly playable for an irony session (which is a real session even if you do it ironically).

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sort of.... RaHoWa, FATAL, and HYBRID were considered the unholy trinity of the worst RPGs by RPGnet reviewers for a long time. Except really RaHoWa and HYBRID are more like the indiscriminate scrawling of separate racist people having mental breakdowns, but in that specific way where sometimes the person try to create a mechanical logic loop to things. This isn't me condemning or mocking mentally ill people it's just legit what they appear to be. FATAL, at least, is the lucid, earnest effort of one vile individual trying to create an RPG to fit his "tastes."

I've never sought it out to confirm for obvious reasons, but it's my understanding that RaHoWa is incomplete and unplayable, but designed like a game in that there are rules following the patterns of how RPG rules are designed that lend themselves to a product that is playable enough that you can figure out mechanical "pitfalls" like the minority antagonists being able to effortlessly defeat the player characters.

HYBRID, meanwhile, is in no meaningful sense a game: it's a collection of lengthy, schizophrenic-esque run-on sentences of someone trying to win arguments on Usenet about which superheros could beat up which superheroes through roleplaying game design because they got kicked out of alt.comics.marvel and then alt.games.roleplaying.marvelheroicroleplaying. It's unplayable nonsense with unreadable rules that describe nothing coherent.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LatwPIAT posted:

I've never sought it out to confirm for obvious reasons, but it's my understanding that RaHoWa is incomplete and unplayable, but designed like a game in that there are rules following the patterns of how RPG rules are designed that lend themselves to a product that is playable enough that you can figure out mechanical "pitfalls" like the minority antagonists being able to effortlessly defeat the player characters.

HYBRID, meanwhile, is in no meaningful sense a game: it's a collection of lengthy, schizophrenic-esque run-on sentences of someone trying to win arguments on Usenet about which superheros could beat up which superheroes through roleplaying game design because they got kicked out of alt.comics.marvel and then alt.games.roleplaying.marvelheroicroleplaying. It's unplayable nonsense with unreadable rules that describe nothing coherent.

RaHoWa is more legible as a game than HYBRID, but yes it's still a crazy person's half finished hate screed. The creator threw it up on a website and never revisited it. You can still find a copy of the page on the Internet Archive. It seems like another in a long series of hate screeds the creator posted online for his neo-nazi cult.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Concurring with Latw here--I remember actually reading RaHoWa on its original homepage. I remember being weirded out by how it was this guy's webpage of Solitaire variants, and then the other half of it was devoted to World Church of the Creator propaganda and this awfully appalling roleplaying game. A lesson in the banality of evil, I guess.

It is so poorly designed that it doesn't actually specify a die mechanic for rolling to do anything. But it does have stats and skills, and suggests what you can do with those skills. (Like, you can heal yourself by reading white supremacist propaganda.) There's a character sheet and whatnot.

Whereas HYBRID is not actually a roleplaying game in any sense. It's a manifesto by a mentally ill person who is really enamoured with the idea that RPG mechanics are real--like, that you can determine the underlying "formulas" that govern reality.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 11, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Arivia posted:

Going US to Canada you do get tracking. If I order something using USPS I can just put the USPS tracking number in Canada Post’s website and I will get the results on both sides of the border.

Not sure if you can do a similar thing Canada to US though.

Huh, interesting. I just shipped something to the UK recently (would not recommend, btw) and was told no tracking, but of course that's a bit different than Canada.

e: oh I skipped a page and we're talking about rahowa now

Leraika fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 11, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leraika posted:

Huh, interesting. I just shipped something to the UK recently (would not recommend, btw) and was told no tracking, but of course that's a bit different than Canada.

e: oh I skipped a page and we're talking about rahowa now

It's entirely possible USPS would tell you the exact same thing if you tried to ship something to Canada from the US yourself, I just know it works as a Canadian consumer.

e: don't ship racist screeds to Canada, Canada Customs doesn't like that

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

theironjef posted:

It was generally considered bad because it didn't have character creation mechanics and you were mostly expected to kind of just play as characters from the movie and try to recreate them, and I guess do other indiana jones-style adventures, but only as indiana jones and co for some reason.

Halloween Jack posted:

nazi game discussion

Interestingly enough, I recently read MyFarog out of curiosity(AFAIK, its the only TTRPG written in prison) and while it is pretty racist, its biggest feature seems to be that it's the single most pedantic RPG I have ever had the misfortune of reading in my life. Literally every other RPG in existence, as far as I can tell, understands the very basic game design of "let people be the judge of what the modifiers will be, maybe include a few examples" and then MYFAROG is over here going
raining -1
not raining + 0
snowing - 1
not snowing + 0
wet snow -2
dry snow -1
muddy ground - 2
dry ground -1
during night time -3
during daytime +1
during the afternoon -1
if you brushed your teeth this morning +1
if you didn't do morning stretches -2
if you did morning stretches +1
if you ate a heavy breakfast -1
if you ate a light breakfast +1
and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. for every situation.

I know he had lots of time in prison, but I guess he never had the time to play with anyone or get anyone else to even look over it and tell him it sucks.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

Concurring with Latw here--I remember actually reading RaHoWa on its original homepage. I remember being weirded out by how it was this guy's webpage of Solitaire variants, and then the other half of it was devoted to World Church of the Creator propaganda and this awfully appalling roleplaying game. A lesson in the banality of evil, I guess.

It is so poorly designed that it doesn't actually specify a die mechanic for rolling to do anything. But it does have stats and skills, and suggests what you can do with those skills. (Like, you can heal yourself by reading white supremacist propaganda.) There's a character sheet and whatnot.

Whereas HYBRID is not actually a roleplaying game in any sense. It's a manifesto by a mentally ill person who is really enamoured with the idea that RPG mechanics are real--like, that you can determine the underlying "formulas" that govern reality.

The neo-nazi who made RaHoWa didn't stick with it long enough to make an actual character sheet, but if you mean you can in theory create a block of stats in a Word doc or something, yeah you can, even if it's not enough to actually play a game with. My point is that neither it nor HYBRID are cohesive games, and weren't intended for conventional publishing. So to go back to the original question, there's half of a Racial Holy War game an unstable neo-nazi cultist wrote up in 2001 in his spare time, possibly just to jam as many slurs as he could in a 20-page "book."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I know he had lots of time in prison, but I guess he never had the time to play with anyone or get anyone else to even look over it and tell him it sucks.

If he even had anyone who would play with him, is he the kind of person who would elicit honest feedback?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If he even had anyone who would play with him, is he the kind of person who would elicit honest feedback?

"please correct the bestiary stats for [racial slur] group" that must have been some real awkward playtesting

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, probably not.

*someone* posts on /tg/ every few weeks shilling myFAROG and:

1. they get pretty salty if you point out Varg's real name is Kristian
2. whenever someone points out everything Varg thinks about races, especially nordic ones, is nonsensical made up garbage, they always say "history is biased/written by the winners"
3. they aggressively insist that Varg is a "nice guy" and that they are not Varg.

They do the same thing with Zweihander, if you make a thread about Zweihander, there's an 80% chance someone is going to say "gently caress off Dan" in the first five posts.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He was too busy writing nazi screeds and website articles while in prison, MYFAROG wasn’t published until he’d already been out for six years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NinjaDebugger posted:

That's what he means, the money you save on interest by paying off the mortgage is less than the money you -earn- by putting money in an index fund because it has a better rate. The fact that the two are opposite directions doesn't change that you make a profit. I'm in the same position, my last student loan has a lower interest rate than I'm earning elsewhere, so I'm just doing minimum payments until such time as that changes.

Yep.

With the odd side note that thanks to how US credit scores are structured, the longer your student loans linger the better they are for making Number Go Up because they're a long-running account that's in good standing.

Compare to student loan rates around 3.25% with average 15% per year on an S&P 500 index fund.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 11, 2021

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Well, probably not.

*someone* posts on /tg/ every few weeks shilling myFAROG and:

1. they get pretty salty if you point out Varg's real name is Kristian
2. whenever someone points out everything Varg thinks about races, especially nordic ones, is nonsensical made up garbage, they always say "history is biased/written by the winners"
3. they aggressively insist that Varg is a "nice guy" and that they are not Varg.

They do the same thing with Zweihander, if you make a thread about Zweihander, there's an 80% chance someone is going to say "gently caress off Dan" in the first five posts.

Fox put enough effort in pursuing C&Ds against pirated pdfs that /tg's archive flat out stopped providing them in perpetuity. They hate him for that.

Honestly, I'm a little impressed he was so determined he got 4chan to concede.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Tsilkani posted:

Fox put enough effort in pursuing C&Ds against pirated pdfs that /tg's archive flat out stopped providing them in perpetuity. They hate him for that.

he still seems like a tool but that honestly fuckin rules

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Tsilkani posted:

Fox put enough effort in pursuing C&Ds against pirated pdfs that /tg's archive flat out stopped providing them in perpetuity.

I’m sure he loves to claim they did, but this isn’t true at all.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tsilkani posted:

4chan still aggressively provides .pdfs of literally anything you could want. They just say not to add Zweihander to the archives.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m sure he loves to claim they did, but this isn’t true at all.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This is hilarious.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I should note Zweihander is not alone in that particular honor of not being shared and what Daniel did isn't particularly noteworth. There is a maintained pdf share thread on 4chan as of today, and the list for "don't share this game cause of C&Ds) did not start nor did it end with Zweidhander. All it takes to get your name added to the list is to follow their links through basic l33t speak obfuscation and send take down notices for a few weeks in a row.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

I should note Zweihander is not alone in that particular honor of not being shared and what Daniel did isn't particularly noteworth. There is a maintained pdf share thread on 4chan as of today, and the list for "don't share this game cause of C&Ds) did not start nor did it end with Zweidhander. All it takes to get your name added to the list is to follow their links through basic l33t speak obfuscation and send take down notices for a few weeks in a row.

This is true. I'm still impressed with anyone able to out-stubborn the /tg crowd on this.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Probably just an issue with wording, your original post was vague and it seemed like you were implying that dan fox ended RPG piracy on 4chan, but that isn't the case.

Tsilkani posted:

This is true. I'm still impressed with anyone able to out-stubborn the /tg crowd on this.

I never see anyone talk about Zweihander, like, ever. Looking on youtube "Zweihander RPG" returns two AP's from "Weave the Tale" and "Adam Koebel" and basically nothing else, some reviews, comparisons, etc. The official Zweihander RPG account is doing their own LP, but the video from October 6 is pinging an impressive less than 40 views, so I can't imagine it's that popular. If Wizards of the Coast were nuking 5e books(and they do) or Pathfinder(and they have) they would just get immediately repirated. But ZH is a game nobody really wants or cares about to pirate. You can in fact, easily pirate the entirely of the WFRP line, every single edition since Cubicle 7 started re-selling the old PDFs of those lines, meaning you can either aggressively jump through hoops to get a pirated PDF of Zweihander, or click twice and get everything from WFRP4e.

(On this talk of Let's Plays, Community's Gillian Jacobs did an Actual Play in WFRP4e and it was something alright, she has extremely aggressive shitposter energy, her elf beats and then robs a person they were just gonna ask questions to (mayor of a town no less) and then she takes a poo poo in full view of the public outside of a tavern for some reason. Wild as gently caress, would have her at my table)

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 11, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tsilkani posted:

I dont really think so given how unpopular his product was. You'll notice that the list is entirely games grogs don't really like. In particular they're sharing his direct competitor which is to say actual warhammer fantasy rpg 2nd edition. It would be impressive if like Dark Heresy was added to the forbidden list.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Just checked, it was available on a /tg-affiliated archive as of five minutes ago.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep.

With the odd side note that thanks to how US credit scores are structured, the longer your student loans linger the better they are for making Number Go Up because they're a long-running account that's in good standing.

Compare to student loan rates around 3.25% with average 15% per year on an S&P 500 index fund.

S&P has returned 15% (16% with dividends reinvested), ignoring cap gains taxes, over the last ten years. But that's a period that very nicely doesn't include any recessions (in the strict sense as used by economists). If you push out to, say, 20 years, and adjust for inflation, it's more like 7%. Over in the long-term financial advice thread, we'd suggest someone put money into a combo of US stock index, international stock index, and perhaps 10% or so (opinions vary) in a bond index, and have a reasonably high chance of beating inflation by around 4-5% annualized return over a long term like 10+ years.

Which is still comfortably beating the "return" on paying down a 3.25% debt.

However, student loan debt is special in that it is not dischargable in a bankruptcy, which makes it particularly dangerous. And, any given decade could easily include a significant recession or downturn in stocks that leave you way behind paying off debt, so it's important to understand that there's a risk factor here, where paying off debt has no similar risk factor (just an opportunity cost).

Many people find it more comfortable to pay off student loans even at the cost of a few points of likely returns in the market, as a "guaranteed return" and to get rid of America's most abusive form of debt.

For anyone who is interested in this subject, I strongly recommend the Long Term Investing & Retirement thread.

Going back to the original point, though, those people making $300k/year who are "just middle class" while maxxing out retirement plans, taking expensive vacations, making payments on an expensive house, leasing two new cars, etc. while carrying student loans are really not the target audience for this sort of caution; they have a safety net that can handle whatever the economy throws at them without jeopardizing their high quality of life, or their retirement plans, or their kids' trust funds.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

Just checked, it was available on a /tg-affiliated archive as of five minutes ago.

That's unsurprising. Piracy is widespread after all. But this is more about the specifics of /tg/'s culture and relationship with PDFs where they have worked very hard to create easily accessible archives of scanned roleplaying games, and certain publishers have been so vigilant in striking /tg/'s PDF Share links that they've consistently gotten threads deleted and the convenient archives taken down, which has led to (informal) policies of not putting the entire effort at risk by inviting the wrath of the Microscope guy.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I'm not entirely sure about it but has there ever been a less-biased study about the effects of piracy on trpgs in comparison to other media?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mr.Misfit posted:

I'm not entirely sure about it but has there ever been a less-biased study about the effects of piracy on trpgs in comparison to other media?

No idea, but I tend to take a look at RPGs before I commit to buying an expensive book. I recently purchased like, four WFRP4e books because I knew what the system was like. I guess I could have looked at some reviews, but I find most reviews of RPG products to be completely useless except as entertainment products.

My point being: I've been burned by far, far too many RPG products (gently caress you, Monte Cook) to not want to see what's there before I commit like, 70 bucks.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 11, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I never see anyone talk about Zweihander, like, ever. Looking on youtube "Zweihander RPG" returns two AP's from "Weave the Tale" and "Adam Koebel" and basically nothing else, some reviews, comparisons, etc. The official Zweihander RPG account is doing their own LP, but the video from October 6 is pinging an impressive less than 40 views, so I can't imagine it's that popular. If Wizards of the Coast were nuking 5e books(and they do) or Pathfinder(and they have) they would just get immediately repirated. But ZH is a game nobody really wants or cares about to pirate. You can in fact, easily pirate the entirely of the WFRP line, every single edition since Cubicle 7 started re-selling the old PDFs of those lines, meaning you can either aggressively jump through hoops to get a pirated PDF of Zweihander, or click twice and get everything from WFRP4e.

There's this Blackbirds Kickstarter that's been making the rounds, which is based on Zweihander.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Comrade Koba posted:

Yeah, it's not hard to find out there, just slightly less common than it would be.

Pinnacle seems fairly aggressive about that sort of thing as well, to similar limited effect.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Yeah given the old wisdom of "it's generally pirate vs nothing, not pirate vs purchase" and how often people mention that piracy is the only reason they went on to get involved in the hobby, purchase future products, or even become designers/artists/etc later in life, I'm always a bit suprised to see how piracy is discussed on this forum. Were those things just shown to be untrue?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's notable in the sense that it was the first flop of a major IP being transposed into an RPG format, and in a way that undermines every letter in the "Role Playing Game" abbreviation.
Didn't the Dallas RPG predate it?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Warthur posted:

The Dallas RPG didn't flop.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Warthur posted:

Dallas RPG came out in 1980, Indiana Jones RPG came out in 1984.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's a good catch. The only earlier product I can think of that fits the bill was Heritage Models' game for Star Trek, which was so bad Paramount pulled the license. But Star Trek was a much smaller concern than Dallas at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I'd even run and pretend to enjoy 3.5e for that.

I'd talk in funny voices and everything.

What's the price of your soul, how much to play a.... Kender?