Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh I was just being a jerk, but I think we’re going a little far comparing the noble lingonberry to Paradox’s recent output.

I’ve tried the Fast Universalis mod but tbh it didn’t seem to improve performance much in the endgame and it makes the game look really terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They should probably do what they did with Stellaris and have a small team dedicated to free patches that deal with old issues/dlc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TOOT BOOT posted:

They should probably do what they did with Stellaris and have a small team dedicated to free patches that deal with old issues/dlc.

Hope likes this are prolly more likely in EU5. Please be the game after V3.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Poil posted:

The gently caress is this? Speed 4 is constantly late-game or league-war laggy right from the beginning and given how speed 3 and 5 runs is it's like performance has dropped about 2 settings. Amateur garbage! Maybe filling a dev studio with morons led by a village idiot isn't the best way to get results. gently caress this trash! They don't even derserve a rotten lingonberry for leviathan (which I absolutely have not and likely NEVER will buy). :argh:

I think I read somewhere, that it's because they've put in so many provinces since release (doubled?).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The problem with that logic is that going from Emperor to Leviathan is itself a pretty significant slowdown. League wars especially are much worse.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Rynoto posted:

The problem with that logic is that going from Emperor to Leviathan is itself a pretty significant slowdown. League wars especially are much worse.

Well Indonesia is really important to all those Europeans, who can't get those provinces out of their heads even during the League wars! Every spice province constantly coveted by every single nation in Europe, on top of being at war with everyone else? That's gonna take some processing power, probably.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

If you didn’t hear yet, dismissing the “you can make new states” notification speeds the game up substantially. Why that single notification slows the game down so much is still a bit of a :psyduck: question though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't have that notification showing at any point. But I had it enabled if that matters.

Prop Wash posted:

Oh I was just being a jerk, but I think we’re going a little far comparing the noble lingonberry to Paradox’s recent output.
Eh, I think I deserved being called out and thought it was quite funny. And it inspired me to make this (sadly greatly limited by my lack of skill with images):

(This poster is considered to be a Babbling Buffon)

Anyway I went back to 1.30.6 and had a good time instead. Except it took me a minute to figure out why my new fleet couldn't privateer, I had built galleys instead of light ships. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 8, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Everyone who told me to move my trade capital to the Egyptian node is a liar.

After getting the Coptic and Prester John achievements I played around a lot with trade in the Ethiopian region - it was always more profitable to collect in multiple nodes which is not something you usually have to deal with when you’re in an end node.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Everyone who told me to move my trade capital to the Egyptian node is a liar.

After getting the Coptic and Prester John achievements I played around a lot with trade in the Ethiopian region - it was always more profitable to collect in multiple nodes which is not something you usually have to deal with when you’re in an end node.

It depends on how much of a percentage you have in trade power in your home node. If it's less than 50%, it's better to just collect everywhere. Otherwise you should funnel from every node you have a majority in, preferably to an end node. There's more to it than that, but that has worked for me so far.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

If you are blobbing it's best to collect in the last but one node you fully control, ideally one with one 1 onward node. That way you make a fake end node.

So If you own all of Constantinople and Ragusa, collect in Constantinople (and ragusa cause why not) and it functions as am end node.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Collecting in a quasi-end node is ideal but going to egypt is the wrong way, you wanna control the entirety of the cape of good hope and collect from the east african node you can funnel all of asian trade into.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

THE BAR posted:

It depends on how much of a percentage you have in trade power in your home node. If it's less than 50%, it's better to just collect everywhere. Otherwise you should funnel from every node you have a majority in, preferably to an end node. There's more to it than that, but that has worked for me so far.

Sure, but I own all the land, have upgraded all the centres of trade and yet a good third of trade is still being pulled forward by the Europeans.

Very annoying.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

A dumb question, but are you investing in light ships? You can go over your fleet cap if it's a wealthy node.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Torrannor posted:

Has interest in the game just crashed massively? Normally, this thread was much more active than the Stellaris thread, but now even DDs on AI behavior generate more posts in the Stellaris thread than actual content preview DDs generate for EUIV.

yeah I had a small group of friends who would play semi-regularly but we stopped when Leviathan came out and there has been zero motivation to pick it up again since

we played Imperator instead lol

but that died out too :(

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Prop Wash posted:

I’ve tried the Fast Universalis mod but tbh it didn’t seem to improve performance much in the endgame and it makes the game look really terrible.

The sort of things Fast Universalis does is going to help you if you have a poor framerate but it's not going to make a blind bit of different to a poor tick rate.

fuf posted:

we played Imperator instead lol

Oh hey what's the MP like for that now. Last I heard they'd changed the servers and were having massive desync problems. Didn't know if they'd fixed that before stopping development.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oh hey what's the MP like for that now. Last I heard they'd changed the servers and were having massive desync problems. Didn't know if they'd fixed that before stopping development.

It was very stable for us. Only a handful of desyncs over many hours of play. This was back in May / June, dunno if something has changed since then.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I returned to playing after a lengthy break.

Ah yes, the Noble faction of Pirates, makes sense.

Also I did my usual thing of playing the Pope for the millionth time.

Always something new :stare:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/eu4-development-diary-13th-of-october-2021.1494493/

These are all effects that you can get a bunch of ways, right? It's like national ideas part 2.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

These are all effects that you can get a bunch of ways, right? It's like national ideas part 2.
They look more like advanced versions of the bonuses you get from controlling holy cities.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I guess I don't see the gameplay value of monuments. They're sort of immersive but it seems like they're in the game because it's the sort of think you'd put in a historical strategy game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Control enough wonders for the Culture Victory

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, they're definitely a bit too "gamey." It's also lame they didn't go the CK2/Imperator route of letting you build your own.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, they're definitely a bit too "gamey." It's also lame they didn't go the CK2/Imperator route of letting you build your own.

I know that building a giant statue of yourself wasn't the strongest option in CK2, but damnit, it felt good to plop one down on your arch nemesis' capital.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Remember Triggered Modifiers? I don't think devs do.

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Triggered_modifiers

See Province Triggered Modifiers? Most of them already were those "wonders". And they were more interesting in some ways like Sistine Chapel might have been decorated by some other teenage mutant ninja turtle.

From the point of view of balance I don't think they're that bad. It'd be cooler if most of those bonuses worked for specific playstyles and lost cultures, e.g. Stonehenge being cool for pagans but being just a small prestige bonus for others. Same for most others really, make them give specific bonuses to the countries (or culture/religion combinations) where they're relevant and make it just prestige or splendor or some local bonus for others. Remember also that we see the final stages of those wonders and you will only get those when you have a lot of money. It'll probably work like Hegemony mechanics but without drawbacks, allowing you to go for your WC.

What I like less is that this is a spaghetti design. In CK2 or Imperator countries had relatively minor inherent modifiers (almost none in CK2) and so Wonders work as big country modifiers that you have to defend somewhere in your lands. In EU4 you have national ideas, mission permanent modifiers, decisions applying permanent modifiers, those triggered modifiers (both global and province)... How many times is the Papal State religiousness is reflected in various systems? In a game like Civ it also makes sense to make those wonders important points you'd like to defend so they modify geography. But in EU4 they feel like good objectives but not something you need to defend, cause by the time they're useful to you losing core land will not be realistic.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I guess they were made with multiplayer in mind.

E:

Although there should've been a notifier for everyone else/rivals, when a foreign wonder is about to be finished.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Pro tip: If you ever start as an African or New World nation, never move your capital to Europe.

Dumb stuff happens

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Half-wit posted:

Pro tip: If you ever start as an African or New World nation, never move your capital to Europe.

Dumb stuff happens

Well colonial nations aren't supposed to spawn in Africa without the use of mods. So this may have been partially your fault.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy crap, Burgundy is so weird in my games.

No matter who I'm playing, it just never comes to me. Often it just doesn't crash at all, remaining there until endgame or entirely eaten in multiple wars. If I'm playing Austria, it just lingers or gets split.

Was doing a light France game now, allying and feeding them hoping this would be the time, doing everything right to have the succession be in my favor, and it just becomes Austria's Junior partner. Just like that, no event, no prompt, no succession war. In fact, it was a weird game overall, lots of countries picking up junior partners all over the place before 1490.

Couldn't go for the Milan PU because the CB lasted all of 3 months before it vanished. Really, in the time it took me to ferry my troops back from England to declare the war, it was gone.

This game is so drat frustrating at times.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I had a France game where right after I finished beating up Burg for Picardy, they died and became mine. The RNG can be weird for sure.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How does the Burgundian inheritance work now, actually? I'm Mulhouse and got the PU when Charles croaked, but the imperial incident still fired. So what am I supposed to vote for? Releasing the princes seems best cause I can then war them for the cores back, with little AE and little difficulty since they have no armies and no friends right off the bat. Or what am I missing?

E: So I got the "release the lowlands" response, I refused to do and was supposed to declare war on Burgundy for the PU; except they're my PU already, so nothing happened and I kept all of it under PU. Then the Duchess died and I got it all.

In other words, free real estate!

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 19, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They've reworked the burgundian inheritance with Emperor, and it's really confusing and probably buggy. Even after experiencing it a couple times and reading all the tooltips, I have no idea how it's supposed to work, and I have even less of an idea on how it currently works. And this is coming from someone who has played this game a lot.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the quickest way to put it is that burgundy picks one of "stay alone (ai basically never picks this) France, HREmperor or largest non-france/HRE ally, and then HRE can contest (I think france can only contest if HRE is chosen but it's hard to say the events are confusing) and HRE can either claim all of burgandy, lowlands or nothing, and if they claim lowlands you can either let them go, attempt the great Privilege, which does...something? but keeps the netherlands under burgandy or the HRE declares war for all of it

basically dr video games is right and it's dumb and confusing and makes no sense and no one seems to understand how it works past "I'm playing as burgandy, which one should I choose???"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do I Genoa "properly" and not just blob out as usual?

Obviously I want trade and maritime ideas with whatever else too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Unfortunately, the best way to get more trade power is to blob

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Half-wit posted:

Dumb stuff happens

Why did you form Scotland?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

How do I Genoa "properly" and not just blob out as usual?

Obviously I want trade and maritime ideas with whatever else too.

If you want to do it the way Paradox intended, then you make trading cities out of your conquests. They're not vassals, but are added to your trade league and cannot be diplo-vassalised, so you're encouraged to make one in each trade node, but keep them from ever expanding. If they get just one more province, they turn into merchant republics and can be eaten by others as normal.

Besides that, your vassals, marches, and client states all transfer 50% of their trade value to you, allowing you to get up to 100%. I'd ignore the trade city mechanic and just make a good vassal swarm, while keeping the key trade provinces (estuaries, centres of trade and so on) for yourself.

Otherwise, blobbing is what you'd do if you want to play optimally, but it'll feel like playing any other nation with a state handicap.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Why did you form Scotland?

A good question.

Started as custom nation with an immortal leader in Cape Verde...and hearkening back to my childhood I of course made this immortal have a of culture "Highlander"...which apparently gave me some missions into forming Scotland. Who am I to deny the immortal emperor a return to his homeland?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I like Monuments and think they add some pretty neat additional layers to how you choose to expand. It's also just obviously a way better system than triggered modifiers lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

If you want to do it the way Paradox intended, then you make trading cities out of your conquests. They're not vassals, but are added to your trade league and cannot be diplo-vassalised, so you're encouraged to make one in each trade node, but keep them from ever expanding. If they get just one more province, they turn into merchant republics and can be eaten by others as normal.

Besides that, your vassals, marches, and client states all transfer 50% of their trade value to you, allowing you to get up to 100%. I'd ignore the trade city mechanic and just make a good vassal swarm, while keeping the key trade provinces (estuaries, centres of trade and so on) for yourself.

Otherwise, blobbing is what you'd do if you want to play optimally, but it'll feel like playing any other nation with a state handicap.
Thank you. Looks like I have some planning to do now.