Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

this picture loving rules. real drip. I've been telling my wife I wanna go up to qinghai and xinjiang. I last went 5 years ago. would be nice to post some actual evidence instead of citing zenz and the institute of containing china.

edit: this is from the article just posted. its pretty funny. basically looking for trouble but not finding any. makes xinjiang look rad though

Mirello has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Reading that article is depressing. Every time a Uyghur says something positive about their situation the author twists it, saying that officials are watching and therefore that person couldn't possibly be sincere. Despite claiming to act on behalf of the oppressed, they ultimately just erase the ability of Uyghurs to speak for themselves.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i thought this was the funniest line in the article

quote:

At one point, I was tailed by a convoy of a dozen cars, an eerie procession through the silent streets of Aksu at 4 in the morning.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Stringent posted:

i thought this was the funniest line in the article

It's 4am and 12 Aksu police officers are in their cars single file, tailing a dipshit who works for the AP. Their eyes narrowed, watching for signs of western treachery. It's just another day on the job.

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Oct 11, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol at the logic "if im being watched they cant tell the truth "I'm being watched all the time" why even go on the trip dipshit? its amazing how much credulousness they give to "survivors" who change their story every month vs actual people on the street. they literally go to an imam school! even I didn't know china had those!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mirello posted:

lol at the logic "if im being watched they cant tell the truth "I'm being watched all the time" why even go on the trip dipshit? its amazing how much credulousness they give to "survivors" who change their story every month vs actual people on the street. they literally go to an imam school! even I didn't know china had those!

It's funny because the obvious end point is that it creates a world where the claims can never be falsified. If there's a lack of evidence, well by golly that's just more proof of a conspiracy. If someone on the street tells you everything is fine, well of course they would they're too scared to speak! There's literally nothing that will dissuade them from this narrative until someone higher than them on the food chain (the state department) tells them that the new official line is something else.

Gonna be a loving riot if Biden is the one to launch the new trade war against China.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Behind him, a drunk Uyghur man was yelling. Alcohol is forbidden for practicing Muslims, especially in the holy month of Ramadan.

“I’ve been drinking alcohol, I’m a little drunk, but that’s no problem. We can drink as we want now!” he shouted. “We can do what we want! Things are great now!”

At a nearby store, I notice liquor bottles lining the shelves. In another town, my colleague and I encounter a drunk Uyghur man, passed out by a trash bin in broad daylight. Though many Uyghurs in big cities like Urumqi have long indulged in drinking, such sights were once unimaginable in the pious rural areas of southern Xinjiang.

On a government sponsored tour, officials took us to meet Mamatjan Ahat, a truck driver, who declared he was back to drinking and smoking because he had recanted religion and extremism after a stint at one of Xinjiang’s infamous “training centers”.

“It made me more open-minded,” Ahat told reporters, as officials listened in.

Xinjiang officials say they aren’t forcing atheism on the Uyghurs, but rather defending freedom of belief against creeping extremism. “Not all Uyghurs are Muslim,” is a common refrain.

Love how to the Western media random drunk guys are symbols of modern liberal progress in any Muslim state aligned with the West but communist perversions of noble Islamic purity in China.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
gee i wonder why government forces would be keeping their eye on an american asset on the 27,546th trip to a region they routinely show up to make things up and lie about, including causing huge problems that destroy peoples' livelihoods

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

always cool to see sentences like this:

quote:

Since the Communist Party took control of Xinjiang in 1949,

because they leave out who the communist party took control from (it was the KMT). its such a cynical example of lying by omission

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

always cool to see sentences like this:

because they leave out who the communist party took control from (it was the KMT). its such a cynical example of lying by omission

its actually even worse than that. xinjiang has been part of china since 1755. longer than america has been independent lol.

edit: actually longer but it was traded between some hordes for awhile. xinjiang has been uninterruptedly part of china since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectorate_General_to_Pacify_the_West

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_dynasty#Western_and_Northern_regions

lol part of china even 1500 years ago

Mirello has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Oct 11, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xinjiang was actually almost a second Mongolia. The leadership of the area was heavily pro-soviet but they tried to play both sides and Stalin abandoned him to the kmt, leading to his ouster and the eventual takeover by the PRC

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grapplejack posted:

Xinjiang was actually almost a second Mongolia. The leadership of the area was heavily pro-soviet but they tried to play both sides and Stalin abandoned him to the kmt, leading to his ouster and the eventual takeover by the PRC

wasn’t that only a part of xinjiang?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

which is i guess what you mean by another mongolia

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The "East Turkestan" soviet playbook is what we are trying to follow now days but conditions on the ground are significantly different and recent changes in the politics of surrounding areas makes it extremely difficult to pull off.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Annam was part of China for a millennium, it's time to get it back tbh

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i only know the outlines of china post ww2/1949..... maybe a tall order, but is there a good book that gives an overview chinese history from like mao to ~xi?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/pybaubry/status/1447467871613829129

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xi will ultimately pay for his sins. Taiwan must be protected at any cost any incident.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mirello posted:

some poster once tried the same thing regarding the study that showed eastern european people preferred life under the USSR vs what they got in 90s and 00s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
don't be a chucklefuck, friendo, taiwan and south korea have spotless human rights records. must be listening to the orange cheetoh's boyfriend :rolleyes:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

BULBASAUR posted:

some poster once tried the same thing regarding the study that showed eastern european people preferred life under the USSR vs what they got in 90s and 00s

:psyduck:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Occidental journalists are afraid to report things accurately. Between the secret police infiltrating the national media (Operation Mockingbird) and the regime jailing whistleblowers, they are under a lot of pressure to advance state propaganda.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
you're japanese and anti-communist? :yooge: you have to go back

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Red and Black posted:

It's 4am and 12 Aksu police officers are in their cars single file, tailing a dipshit who works for the AP. Their eyes narrowed, watching for signs of western treachery. It's just another day on the job.

extreme "i'm the protagonist of the universe" energy right there

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Red and Black posted:

help i'm being gangstalked by the police

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

Annam was part of China for a millennium, it's time to get it back tbh

We need to take another look at this while Vietnam thing. Seems pretty modern for it to go so far south. Does Cambodia deserve to have the land back?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/cpimspeak/status/1447519036921634818

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lmao

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

look up the holy pig festival…taiwan is stained in the blood of ridiculously fat swine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gowb posted:

look up the holy pig festival…taiwan is stained in the blood of ridiculously fat swine

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Atrocious Joe posted:

We need to take another look at this while Vietnam thing. Seems pretty modern for it to go so far south. Does Cambodia deserve to have the land back?

Southeast Asia should be one multi-ethnic federation in any event

Yes I know this idea would piss off everyone involved. Not my problem.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

After 200+ hours of HOI4, just looking at this map is making my heart beat a lil too fast.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

wowzer look at the balls on that oinker

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's some kind of internal dispute within the ranks of US backed Al Qaeda about speaking fees paid to the actor who played that policeman?

https://mobile.twitter.com/hard2decide/status/1447290912690737153

I don't remember what my twitter login is so I can't be bothered to go through it all.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

Have what back? What do the Cham have to do with Cambodia?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hell north Vietnam was Chinese land and then a tributary state after a semi-successful independence war, which then got supplanted by french Indonesia. Western meddling slicing off pieces of the Chinese state during the century of humiliation

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

PawParole posted:

Have what back? What do the Cham have to do with Cambodia?

please do not erase the voices of Khmer Krom that live in Brussels and work for a weird NGO

quote:

Apr 21, 2019
UNPO, HIHR and KKF to hold Second Symposium on the Khmer-Krom's Right to Self-Determination
On Saturday 1 June 2019, the Khmers Kampuchea-Krom Federation (KKF), the Hawaii Institute for Human Rights (HIHR) and the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO) will hold their Second Symposium on the Khmer-Krom’s Right to Self-Determination. The event, to take place at the Peace Palace in the Hague, the Netherlands, from 9:00 to 17:00, will commemorate the forced merger of Cochinchina with Annam and Tonkin to form the State of Vietnam, without the Khmer-Krom’s consent.
https://unpo.org/article/21463

quote:

UNPO was founded at the end of the Cold War when separatist movements sprang up around the world but now it has become a means of the US to apply its geopolitical strategists, as well as to tackle China.

According to William Engdahl, an American geopolitical scientist, in his book Armageddon: The Secret Agenda of Washington's New Cold War, UNPO was a dream organization for American geopolitical strategists. It was founded amid the fall of the Soviet Union, a year when much of Eurasia was in political and economic turmoil.

UNPO was first organized by "Xinjiang independence" secessionist Erkin Alptekin and the 14th Dalai Lama. Among the members of UNPO, there are "Taiwan independence," "Tibet independence," "Inner Mongolia independence," and "Xinjiang independence" secessionist forces concerning China.

Erkin was working for Radio Free Europe in the US when UNPO was founded, and that year he founded the secessionist organization "World Uyghur Congress."(WUC)

UNPO is hostile to China, especially over Xinjiang. In April 2008, the National Endowment for Democracy, funded by the US Congress, and UNPO organized a leadership workshop for WUC. In May 2009, UNPO co-hosted with NED the so-called Human Rights Conference on the theme "East Turkestan." In 2013, UNPO and the European Parliament jointly organized a seminar to call the world's attention to the so-called Uygur issue.
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1195480.shtml

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Let the Shanghai National Party weirdos join the UNPO

https://twitter.com/marsha11mellow/status/1416538037811564549
https://twitter.com/yzs5s/status/1231265972759252992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Love how to the Western media random drunk guys are symbols of modern liberal progress in any Muslim state aligned with the West but communist perversions of noble Islamic purity in China.

sounds like they should start some addiction counseling programs to counteract the classic formerly-religious tendency to go loving crazy with drugs and booze like a teenager