Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, I'm fine staying in Manchester, there's plenty of things to do on any given day, and otherwise I really enjoy traveling and seeing places, so I'd be quite happy to just hop on a train with an electric bike and trundle around different parts of the country for a few days at a time when I don't have anything to do with my friends in the city, even without putting any more thought into how I'd spend the money. If I had enough to do something really significant then that's just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Lungboy posted:

You might not be able to remortgage with the same lender, you'd have to go onto one of their "retention" products which are usually significantly worse than a new deal elsewhere. Which deal to go for will depend on the size of your mortgage, for anything sub £150k or so the fee-free deals work out the best although the month payment is slightly higher, whereas over £150k then paying a fee might work out better. Keeping your LTV sub-60% will get you access to the lowest rates for either option.

gently caress me, there's always another layer of complex bullshit isn't there. I mean woe is me etc. my poor free money is slightly complex to work out. It's quite crazy though.

As for moving somewhere to live without working Spain (while an awful british cliche) was very nice since we lived in a Spanish only area and spoke Spanish. The food was cheap and fantastic, the people were friendly, the weather was lovely and the healthcare was good. There's a reason so many brits go there, it's pretty pleasant in the right area. Plus where I lived there was a cat cafe just by my office where I spent most of my lunchtimes practicing spanish with the owners and cuddling kitties.

Not sure how that is now post covid though.

E: supplying catte tax for fruitbat.

Introducing my wife to captain hook who I met one lunch time when he was the size of a bean. He is missing a foot but has all the love. He played like mad and then curled up and fell asleep on her. Had him ever since.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 11, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

You occasionally get big old rural manor houses for sale for way less than you'd expect them to cost, I think I saw one around Dumbarton going for around 300k a few years ago.

As fun as the idea is of living in some sort of pseaudo anarcho-syndicalist commune in a crumbling Georgian manor is, I'm going to stick with my own fantasy dreamland of steel/concrete/glass brutalist monstrosity poking out the side of a mountain overlooking some gloomy glen shrouded in cloud and drizzle.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mebh posted:

Bet you it was a leasehold though.

You'd think so but nope, freehold. I did remember wrong though, it was 1 bedroom but still at that price? Nobody dreams of living in Castlemilk but at that price in this day & age?

Only place I've seen flats that cheap recently are in horrendously deprived post industrial wasteland towns in the North of England.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

gently caress me, there's always another layer of complex bullshit isn't there. I mean woe is me etc. my poor free money is slightly complex to work out. It's quite crazy though.

As for moving somewhere to live without working Spain (while an awful british cliche) was very nice since we lived in a Spanish only area and spoke Spanish. The food was cheap and fantastic, the people were friendly, the weather was lovely and the healthcare was good. There's a reason so many brits go there, it's pretty pleasant in the right area. Plus where I lived there was a cat cafe just by my office where I spent most of my lunchtimes practicing spanish with the owners and cuddling kitties.

Not sure how that is now post covid though.

Which reminds me:

https://www.spainvisa.eu/spain-visa-digital-nomads/

Spain are planning to bring in a 'digital nomad' visa for people who work for non-Spanish firms
For those arriving from non-EU countries the new digital nomad visa will allow applicants to apply who are either:

quote:

Employed by non-Spanish companies
Have an income with less than 20% earned from Spanish companies
The new visa will also ease the process of applying for residency on arrival. As it stands, it is necessary to register for a permit with local municipalities within 30 days of settling in Spain.

The digital nomad visa will be a perfect option for people working remotely as freelancers or entrepreneurs with multiple clients. It will also benefit people employed full time with foreign companies, with the ability to work from home or abroad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aphex- posted:

I remember reading an article a few years ago about a study done on lottery winners and whether or not it was actually a bad thing to win because of what it does to your life.
There was a good reddit comment about how much it fucks your life. Might just be US based but I can imagine an awful lot of it applying over here too:

https://reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vo34/whats_the_happiest_5word_sentence_you_could_hear/chb4v05

One of the best sentences speaks to something that came up a few times here too:

"And [US treasury bonds are] income that is drat safe. If we get to the point where the United States defaults on those instruments, we are in far worse shape than worrying about money.

[...] Put some fraction in something like Swiss Government Bonds at 3%. If the Swiss stop paying on their government debt, well, then you know money really means nothing anywhere on the globe anymore."

A few people were saying "what if the housing market / investment funds / bonds go tits up?" So much of the economy is propped up on them honestly, if those go tits up we're in Mad Max territory anyway, and there's nowhere you can put your money where it's safe.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

You'd think so but nope, freehold. I did remember wrong though, it was 1 bedroom but still at that price? Nobody dreams of living in Castlemilk but at that price in this day & age?

At least you get a nice view from up there.

Was it a property auctions agent listing out of interest, they usually pull some unscrupulous poo poo with temptingly cheap flats. There's one street in Greenock where you always see flats listed at £7k - £10k. Never mentions to buyers that the whole scheme is 90% abandoned and due to be razed by the local council.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Which reminds me:

https://www.spainvisa.eu/spain-visa-digital-nomads/

Spain are planning to bring in a 'digital nomad' visa for people who work for non-Spanish firms
For those arriving from non-EU countries the new digital nomad visa will allow applicants to apply who are either:

yeah but you can't be 'employed' by a company in the UK unless they also have an incorporated office in that country. You have to become a contractor and run your own company which is a huge ballache.

Also as much as that appeals, and as great as my company is here, we are poo poo with contractors. They get excluded from events, forgotten all the time and are generally lower class employees.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Let us know when your episode of Grand Designs airs, showcasing the building of your house as it runs at 5 times the quoted price and 8 years late.

(Is Grand Designs still on? That just seemed the story of every episode I saw)

It is. There was a great episode for hate watching 2 weeks ago - an absolute pair of wankers (he a clueless architect, her an interior designer), found a ruined mill in a river valley gladed by beautiful ancient trees and decided to turn it into a house. This required (a) demolishing the mill because it was structurally hosed (b) levelling out all the trees because they could fall on the new house (c) building an extremely lovely oversized house in place of the mill (d) recladding the new monstrosity using the slate from the old mill.

It took 3 years, cost them probably at least double what they'd budgeted, and they seemed shocked everytime they hit an obstacle (a concrete mixer can't cross a listed stone bridge! the electric company won't hook up power lines to a river valley for free!). They also still didn't have a kitchen and 3 of the bedrooms and the roof garden were still under construction. loving twats. Kevin McCloud just did the Jeremy Clarkson face for the whole episode and kept calling them "building goblins" so I was hooting

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Or in a block with flammable cladding.

Speaking of, IMAGINE MY SHOCK when it turns out HAs are using post-Grenfell safety checks as an excuse to throw people out of particularly desirable blocks:

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/news/residents-to-be-moved-out-of-clarion-tower-block-due-to-safety-concerns-72706

Clare House is an LPS block but the "safety issues" aren't to do with that - in fact it easily passed both it's post-Ronan Point inspection and another in the late 90s when they moved it to a small HA which has since been borged by Clarion, who are gobbling up all of these little Blair-era HAs and ALMOs as they run out of money. The 90s inspection specifically noted that the construction was of remarkably high quality compared to later blocks.

No, the safety issues they've discovered are that the old HA hosed up an upgrade of the hot water system, breaking the compartmentalisation against fire. Now this *is* a serious issue but risk-wise (and rectification-wise) considerably less than flammable cladding and there's no particular reason why they couldn't use the same mitigations as the clad buildings while they rectify it. The work would certainly be disruptive, but less so than installing the original system was, something they didn't need to empty the building to do.

All of the residents (almost all social - in common with a lot of tower blocks not many people exercised their right to buy) have now been decanted and notably *have not* been offered the chance to move back in.

So why are Clarion so desperate to get people out of what's probably one of the cheapest to run of their properties even though doing so is definitely going to cost them more than just fixing it with the residents still in situ? Location, location, location. Clare House is directly opposite Victoria Park (I know I'm prejudiced, but for me the nicest park in London), with the fastest-gentrifying areas of London surrounding it on the other three sides. A new block slapped up here would be worth an absolute *fortune* - for comparison the new flats along the canal are going for >500k for a one-bedroom, and as they would be replacing an existing 22-storey building they could get around the planning roadblocks that they would normally face putting up a big block on the same site, meaning they could easily cram 150 or more "luxury" flats into the footprint of the block - maybe even 200 by building over the car parks either side.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Blair is a bigger villain than Thatcher when it comes to housing in the UK. *He* is the reason why this poo poo is happening up and down the country, because he was the one who basically forced councils into moving their stocks out of their own control.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

An absolute pair of wankers (he a clueless architect, her an interior designer), found a ruined mill in a river valley gladed by beautiful ancient trees and decided to turn it into a house.

This is basically every grand designs episode, it's like the Joseph Campbell monomyth except for cunts.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
If I won millions I'd move. Like maybe a few miles, I'd keep inside this municipality, probably orient myself closer to the sea. I'd like an 1800s farmstead to renovate and experiment in.

I'd buy lots of forest that I'd manage ecologically and log it sparingly for firewood and high quality woodworking material. Then I'd have one helluva workshop on my farm and I'd tinker with metalworking, woodworking, electronics and spend most of my working time tending my forests.

That's sorta how I wanna spend my days. I'd probably buy a small boat too and go out more on the sea in the archipelago.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

And yea Singapore has problems with it's multiculturalism policies that are starting to show - while it's very anti-segeration in housing, they more otherise Malay and Indian cultures rather than integrate them into the Singaporian Chinese whole - which itself has been recreated from the original stock, language changing wholesale from a variety of chinese regional languages and dialects to beijing standard Mandarin.

I was quite surprised myself at how far they'd shifted culturally. Previously they were culturally pretty similar to Malaysia (just switch the Malay/Chinese labels on who's oppressing who) but it seems they've gone whole hog with turning into little China. A lot of the old colonial-era heritage (as in heritage of the immigrants of the time) was thrown out in favour of what you describe. Even the names have changed from dialects to Mandarin standard so you have families with different romanised last names.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

This is basically every grand designs episode, it's like the Joseph Campbell monomyth except for cunts.

Yeah it really hit every square on the Grand Designs bingo card except for "had a baby halfway through". Much like the way characters in zombie movies have never heard of zombies, people who go on Grand Designs seem totally unfamiliar with the arc of a typical Grand Designs episode

There was another solid one a few weeks back where the "cash-strapped" owners built a regulation tennis court before they'd poured the foundations for the main house, and then hosed off camping on the day the concrete was being poured :wtc: . Tbf to them though the house was mint in the end

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Speaking of letting down you ancestors, Mr. Great Rex is hardly living up to the ferocious reputation of his dinosaur namesake

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tiny arms, probably a scavenger, only impact on the modern world is inaccurate pop history and some fossils.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The woke left want to rewrite history by insisting that Mr Greatrex actually had feathers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

My folks are from bath and could understand him just fine.

I remember a video did the rounds on SA with a bunch of old Somerset lads chatting about the old days, it was blowing american posters' minds

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY

I struggle with it for sure.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY

I struggle with it for sure.

That's the one!

I get 100% of the travelling dude, about 80% of the first two fellas, and about 60-70% of the other two.

They remind me of my ol grampy :unsmith: I do find that accent very comforting. My folks intentionally and self-consciously speak "properly" so I don't get to hear it so much any more. Even down in Exeter most people speak boring old standard issue TV English (kinda estuary-esque)

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 11, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oddly for me the first two are unintelligible, road fella is fine, second two are pretty understandable absent one or two words.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That guy again? Who's publishing his letters more than once a week (or indeed, more than once)?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Reposting "Castle meets a 'Geordie'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1DnFdJrww

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Road Fella is John Treagood, well known around the south west. We used to see his caravan all the time as kids in Cornwall. He was a Uni lecturer then just noped out 40 odd years ago.

Oct 4, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

So much warhammer... SO much warhammer

Oh and charity too, right right

You could almost buy an entire army for that kind of money.

I think other than charity I'd dump grant money into scientific research, no specific field just anything that took my fancy.
Medical research would be top of the pile though, its crazy the amount of conditions we just aren't funding cures for.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Reposting "Castle meets a 'Geordie'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1DnFdJrww
has the north not suffered enough

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

That guy again? Who's publishing his letters more than once a week (or indeed, more than once)?

A quick google suggests he's a frequent letter writer to the Express letter pages.

I steal the screenshots from a group on FB that takes the piss out of people like him, called 'Pointless Letters'.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If I won the lotto I would spend my days writing crank letters to the Mail and farting around. Or possibly writing fart letters to the Mail and cranking around.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 11, 2021

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mebh posted:

Either way the best deals I can see have 200k left to be repaid.

Can I just keep bloody remortgaging forever as long as the house prices rise to keep my interest rates low? Is that the whole scam? Because jesus after the fixed term ends the repayment prices absolutely can skyrocket... but is that only if interest rates go up massively? Are they ever going to go up? How the heck are you supposed to know any of this?

How the hell would you have 200k left to be repaid if you borrowed 150k initially? Have you been additionally borrowing a cheeky 5k a month every month or something?

But yes the whole basis of the economy these days is that if the interest rates go up even slightly, an absolute shitload of people will immediately lose their homes, or even worse, their property portfolio will now be non-profitable. So the powers that be will (most likely) do their absolute best to ensure that interest rates remain low literally forever.

Note that even though the BoE rates will remain low for eternity, that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the rates any of the banks charge, since banks are cunts and will never give you a "BoE base rate + 0.6 percentage points" type of deal, because that would be a good deal for the consumer and competition doesn't exist. However, the same political pressure to keep the actual rates low applies to some extent to the banks as well. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the interest rates tbh. The expectation is that you can just keep remortgaging every few years forever since the rates will never go up. If the rates do go up massively, then that means the whole economy is already completely hosed and you won't even have a job and there's no food in the supermarkets and no petrol in the service stations and... well yes, ok, like Brexit currently, but much much worse

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

At least you get a nice view from up there.

Was it a property auctions agent listing out of interest, they usually pull some unscrupulous poo poo with temptingly cheap flats. There's one street in Greenock where you always see flats listed at £7k - £10k. Never mentions to buyers that the whole scheme is 90% abandoned and due to be razed by the local council.

Nah, but the catch was they wanted paid in cash which seems legit.

But someone bought it anyway.

Plenty other places in Castlemilk in the £50-60k range but half that? Sadly not

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Cranks writing to the local paper is our last native artform. Engraved on my memory is Mr DS Boyes who wrote into the Yorkshire evening post every day for about 30 years kicking off about the young people and their bikes or whatever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DS Boyes and DR Bikes on DA Street.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

the sex ghost posted:

Cranks writing to the local paper is our last native artform. Engraved on my memory is Mr DS Boyes who wrote into the Yorkshire evening post every day for about 30 years kicking off about the young people and their bikes or whatever

I find them fascinating, that they can be filled so full of hatred/bigotry that they are willing to tell the entire nation how bigoted they are.... just like this person

Mebh
May 10, 2010

jaete posted:

How the hell would you have 200k left to be repaid if you borrowed 150k initially? Have you been additionally borrowing a cheeky 5k a month every month or something?

Oh, I was looking at the final repayment after interest at the end of the 18 years left. Not really realising that... No poo poo you just remortgage every time your fixed period is up. Essentially banking on people not understanding the system or wanting to pick up the phone to make banks more money overall.

An entire economy based on something like the American rebate system is fun...

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All fudge orders have shipped :)

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of remortgaging - we've done a fair bit of work to our house since we bought it (entirely new roof, replaced every window with double-glazed sash rather than original victorian windows) - am I right in thinking that this should just massively improve our LTV when we remortgage?

Is it worth doing halfway through a 2-year fixed term to take advantage of that?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Speaking of remortgaging - we've done a fair bit of work to our house since we bought it (entirely new roof, replaced every window with double-glazed sash rather than original victorian windows) - am I right in thinking that this should just massively improve our LTV when we remortgage?

Is it worth doing halfway through a 2-year fixed term to take advantage of that?

I would guess probably not - you'll have a hefty repayment fee for not finishing the fixed term, and you're relying on the actual value being properly reassessed - in my experience these tend to be based a lot on 'what a similar place has sold for recently' which will cover things like 'you have an extension added so more rooms' but not 'you have double glazing now'.

edit: VVV I'd go with this advice below instead as it's actually based on something other than my guess VVV

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 11, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Surprise T Rex posted:

I rang up my mortgage advisor to ask exactly this and he told me to get an estate agent in, tell them I want to sell and get a valuation.

You're under no obligation to sell, if you tell them you're remortgaging you'll just get an online survey which you can do yourself and won't account for any changes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only thing that the state should be funding is beatings. Beatings for the parents. Schemes to deliver beatings to the children. Then later sticks for the children so that society can collect the fiscal multiplier when they in turn beat others.

Their ideal English society is just one of those alleged Irish villages that their own ancestors wrote disparagingly about back in the 18th century where everyone just shows up of a weekend and beats the poo poo out of one another with blackthorn sticks in lieu of any social services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Grand Designs explained:
https://twitter.com/dezeen/status/1446853458917740552?t=8asrY0k2Q8Pv-oXQ3Qa8CA&s=19