Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

radmonger posted:

I wonder if you used a lower power version over a city-sized region you would have a thing that could power phones.

they’ve already made prototype phones that charge with panels in the screen of a cell phone so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Oh yeah, it is an old idea. It was probably a more attractive idea back when it was expensive to produce solar panels. People were really more into ideas like this and engineering solar concentrators back then. If you point a solar cell at a more concentrated resource, you don't need to manufacture as many to get the same power output.

The solar cell can be slightly more efficient too. All other things being equal, pointing the solar cell at a more concentrated resource improves the output voltage of the cell--the more intense solar source leads to a higher build-up of excited state electrons in the cell which can be extracted from the cell at higher voltages.

Is there substantial difference between manufacturing a solar cell for space as opposed to one for Earth? I recall that they were more expensive because you wanted to maximise longevity and efficiency due to the cost of shifting weight to orbit, so precious metals were a more prominent component.

I would think that placing consumer grade solar cells in space would result in a much shorter lifespan due to solar radiation that isn't present on the surface of the Earth and usually doesn't play well with semiconductors.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Is there substantial difference between manufacturing a solar cell for space as opposed to one for Earth? I recall that they were more expensive because you wanted to maximise longevity and efficiency due to the cost of shifting weight to orbit, so precious metals were a more prominent component.

I would think that placing consumer grade solar cells in space would result in a much shorter lifespan due to solar radiation that isn't present on the surface of the Earth and usually doesn't play well with semiconductors.

Yeah, you are right, the great reduction in solar cell production cost in recent history is for the relatively lower efficiency mono-crystalline and poly-crystalline silicon single-junction cells used on earth and not the multi-junction III-V semi-conductor space cells.

I suspect that the main reason why III-V semiconductor products are relatively expensive isn't the raw material cost of indium, gallium, etc., but is because the III-V semiconductor industry is a boutique industry serving customers who are willing to spend a lot of money on their products.

I don't have a lot of insight on the radiation hardness of different types of solar cells.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently the wind is finally going to blow enough tonight that we'll have some of that FREE WIND POWER.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

silence_kit posted:

I suspect that the main reason why III-V semiconductor products are relatively expensive isn't the raw material cost of indium, gallium, etc., but is because the III-V semiconductor industry is a boutique industry serving customers who are willing to spend a lot of money on their products.

I've manufactured cells from scratch that are in orbit right now. The material cost really is awful when you consider that each candidate wafer is just that - a candidate. There is an enormous amount of validation that goes in to quite literally dozens of requirements that results in the grand majority of wafers getting rejected. Multiply the cost of terrestrial cells by large integer factors for increased labor, material cost, substantially MASSIVELY increased equipment quality, MORE equipment for parallelism because you're trying to bin the cells, tons of testing with even MORE expensive equipment plus all the time it takes to put a cell through thirty tests, financing and accounting rate....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I've manufactured cells from scratch that are in orbit right now. The material cost really is awful when you consider that each candidate wafer is just that - a candidate. There is an enormous amount of validation that goes in to quite literally dozens of requirements that results in the grand majority of wafers getting rejected. Multiply the cost of terrestrial cells by large integer factors for increased labor, material cost, substantially MASSIVELY increased equipment quality, MORE equipment for parallelism because you're trying to bin the cells, tons of testing with even MORE expensive equipment plus all the time it takes to put a cell through thirty tests, financing and accounting rate....

when you talk about cells that fail this candidacy process, what happens to them? are they entirely chucked out, or is there potential for reuse in less difficult scenarios, i.e., terrestrial power generation

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Potato Salad posted:

I have not personally priced a multi-junction III-V solar cell and have compared it to a normal cell, but was under the impression that and am willing to believe you that they are many x the cost. I suspect though that a lot of the reasons for the cost increases aren't fundamental and are largely due to the III-V semiconductor industry being a much smaller and a much more boutique industry than silicon.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 4, 2021

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Things are looking to get spicy this winter in terms of electricity prices. Just saw this article:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/global-natgas-price-surge-looms-united-states-this-winter-2021-10-04/

TLDR: benchmark futures are still $6 for Louisiana hub in January, but California is $13/mmBTU and New England is over $20/mmBTU. And with natural gas accounting for between a third to half the generation now, expect some fun times ahead.

I can believe it, as watching the LMPs today on MISO and PJMs site, they were in the $60s to $70s all day long. Not sure what the weather was like in the rest of the country, but the weather in Chicago was super mild, nothing to write home about. 2 years ago, the price would have been $25/MW all day long.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The expensive gas may be just what we need for the Natural Gas industry to shoot itself in the foot

https://twitter.com/BloombergNRG/status/1445078532678422536?s=20

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Who Could Have Guessed That Gas Fuckery Would gently caress Gas

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think that the more that can be done to associate anti-nuclear sentiment with the fossil fuel industry and climate-denialism, the better.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

The expensive gas may be just what we need for the Natural Gas industry to shoot itself in the foot

https://twitter.com/BloombergNRG/status/1445078532678422536?s=20
The German gas scare only lasted a few months. How embarassing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

The German gas scare only lasted a few months. How embarassing.

Not really? Storage is lower than ever, and prices are spiking almost every month now.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
How much of the cost of running a natural gas plant is the fuel cost?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Lemme find the data, but the fuel cost is actually like double the cost of the plant, versus nuclear where the fuel cost is a drop in the bucket.

Largely because you pay for natural gas by the cubic meter and its continuously being used versus a nuclear plant where you pay for the fuel and use that same fuel for 2-3 years at a time. Most of the actual cost of a nuclear plant is building it and maintenance, the operation costs are pretty small.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Not really? Storage is lower than ever, and prices are spiking almost every month now.
(I was talking about the "OH gently caress THE GERMANS ARE FORCING GAS ON MITTELEUROPA OVER RENEWABLES" scare)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Grouchio posted:

(I was talking about the "OH gently caress THE GERMANS ARE FORCING GAS ON MITTELEUROPA OVER RENEWABLES" scare)

The article seems pretty explicit that the reason the UK and France are pushing for nuclear is because Germany is importing so much gas from Russia.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

silence_kit posted:

I think this depends a bit on what kind of plant. For single-cycle turbines, traditionally used for peaker plants, the answer is 'almost all of the cost is fuel' [provided you're actually running them as opposed to sitting idle], whereas for more efficient larger-scale combined-cycle plants it's a little more balanced but still quite sensitive to the fuel cost.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

silence_kit posted:

It's a complicated question (that I don't have the answer to), due to many factors.

If we assume the marginal cost of running the plant is only fuel (i.e. the fixed costs of building etc are already paid), this still depends on the per MJ or cubic metre (foot?) price of natural gas. It is unlikely that a heavy user such as a power plant would pay the spot price of gas, they would likely have locked in contractual prices on gas futures.

Then of course the fixed costs as a proportion of running a plant vary on how often you run a plant for. A peaker that runs for say 100 hours a year would see the fixed costs as an extremely high proportion of overall costs. If that plant ran for 4 hours a day, fixed costs would be a fraction of total costs. Then throw in complicating factors such as maintenance, other consumables such as lubricants, staff changes between idle and running etc.

Fun fact: it dawned on planners here in Oz that relying on natural gas plants for a black start scenario (entire grid outage) may not be a great idea as the gas pipelines require electricity to stay pressurized.

e: another lucrative revenue source for gas peakers is filling system reliability contracts. Being paid to have the ability to rapidly spin up to support frequency/voltage etc without having to actually generate. Large scale battery storage such as the Tesla install in South Australia has cannibalized this somewhat.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 6, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Ever since Frank Rich left the NYT, Friedman is unquestionably the dumbest person at that paper.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Ever since Frank Rich left the NYT, Friedman is unquestionably the dumbest person at that paper.

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, France is gonna have a lot of smug going on for a while:

https://twitter.com/Astiburg/status/1446828896033378304?s=20

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I didn’t realize there were transmission lines across the channel. I guess it totally makes sense since theres also a train across the channel, but still.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
There's also a line from Norway to the UK as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
UAE's second reactor is now live on the grid

https://twitter.com/thjr19/status/1447416293850812419?t=9ghtUz62awM4sK7by2EvWg&s=19

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Considering the shoddy OSHA standards of Dubai they better hope that nuclear plant doesn't chernobyl

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Be ready for a million replies to your post explaining that it is theoretically impossible for a nuclear plant to malfunction, every instance in history where a nuclear plant had an accident was an anomaly, etc. etc. Nuclear plants are very safe, etc. etc. Plant cost has been driven up by pointless safety measures etc. etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Lol someone's bitter

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nuke plants can't fail except when external factors like markets and politics directly influence the design. No Problemo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Grouchio posted:

Considering the shoddy OSHA standards of Dubai they better hope that nuclear plant doesn't chernobyl

I think they put them in concrete boxes these days so Chernobyl doesn't happen again but I'm no nuke engineer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol at the anti nuke sentiment

let’s spin up some more ng plants to handle demand woo green energy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

It's a PWR, comparing it to an RBMK is pretty tasteless.

Also that's a terrible trope.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Nuclear energy cannot fail. It can only be failed. All of the drawbacks to the technology are external to the technology and can be blamed on The Greenpeace Conspiracy and malicious actors inside of government nuclear regulatory agencies.

edit: Also, world governments are colossally stupid for not rapidly building out nuclear power plants and consist of brain dead morons. At the same time, countries all over the world need to start programs immediately nationalizing the world's nuclear power plants and building more of them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 11, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
To get away from the threadshitting tier level of trolling:

The reactors are APR-1400s, US Licensed reactor designed built by a South Korean company KEPCO.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

To be honest, threadshitting & trolling is about all some people got left.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It's nice to get a bit of good energy news for once. Their first reactor went online last year, and began commercial operation this year. Sounds like the UAE is planning to use nuclear to supplement large solar installations in order to transition to 50% green power by 2050. Hopefully they'll be able to do that sooner, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. In particular their energy sector is relatively inefficient, so they're planning to focus on systemic upgrades to reduce consumption.

His Divine Shadow posted:

To be honest, threadshitting & trolling is about all some people got left.

Yeah the Drill, Baby, Drill folks seem pretty obsolete at this point.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 11, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finland's 1,6GW new nuke plant was postponed (yet again) to spring 2022. The construction began in 2009. It was supposed to start production this autumn, but I guess they noticed they forgot to turn their turbines around resulting in banana-shaped turbine axles or something.

A pity since an extra 1,6GW would have helped in current situation.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ihmemies posted:

Finland's 1,6GW new nuke plant was postponed (yet again) to spring 2022. The construction began in 2009. It was supposed to start production this autumn, but I guess they noticed they forgot to turn their turbines around resulting in banana-shaped turbine axles or something.

A pity since an extra 1,6GW would have helped in current situation.

lmao

Olkiluoto is a masterclass on how to fail project management and institutional knowledge retention

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

suck my woke dick posted:

lmao

Olkiluoto is a masterclass on how to fail project management and institutional knowledge retention

Is it as bad as building your wind turbines in a reindeer grazing ground and then being surprised that people graze their reindeer there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Total Meatlove posted:

Is it as bad as building your wind turbines in a reindeer grazing ground and then being surprised that people graze their reindeer there?

Or even better: Drops in wind availability due to decreasing wind as the gulf stream changes

https://www.ft.com/content/d53b5843-dbe0-4724-8adf-75c66127ea80

Its not permanent, but its going to be a problem for the next few years at least.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 11, 2021