Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Someone remind the libs that the only reason the covid rescue package passed was because 2020 was the most unstable America has been since the 60's, culminating into a contested election and first serious insurrection since the Civil War and even capital, if for a brief moment, woke up and smelled the ashes and pushed out some bread and circuses to prevent the country from falling into chaos

It wasn't because of Biden, the same poo poo (if not more since the orange man actually wanted the $2000 checks) would have passed if Trump won, if for that very reason.

:thunk:

is this AP SYQ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
"first serious insurrection since the Civil War"

lmao

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Well, incredibly incompetent insurrection, but still unprecedented for 160 years

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Rome got a lot of infrastructure done, they deserve some credit, but the nature of being expansionistic means they were never going to keep maintaining it. You'd think that'd be the real lesson here, that expansionism imperialistic or capitalistic leads to a decay in the core that brings on collapse, but nah, time to make some hackneyed point that religion is the real evil or some poo poo, which doesn't explain why the polytheistic empire did just fine.

John Charity Spring posted:

stuff did happen anyway, the 'dark ages' were a construction of roman fetishists in the late middle ages who wanted to hark back to a previous glorious era. even in europe in the early medieval period there was technological innovation and vibrant culture

but yeah a lot of what the Romans did was essentially destroy the civilisations they conquered and then build their own on the ruins. then wrote about how worthlessly barbaric those they conquered had been, which is about as reliable as later colonialist views on africa or south america

there's something there, it's just not what gibbons and his adherents thought

the catholic church was, in a real way, the last standing institution of western roman government. you paid a tithe to it because it was your taxes. a duke was a dux, a roman title that reckognized that local areas needed to be armed camps because the interior could be raided. you did what your father did because diocletian said so in a law, because the empire stopped being able to buy food to pay soldiers and needed to pay in kind; the middle ages were a roman age, and christianity was the culture of the late western roman empire

so it's really backwards causality, the schelrotic and feudal culture and religion that was seen as the cause was instead an effect

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Itmechr3/status/1446528147634237443

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Feldegast42 posted:

How come Trump can do anything he wants then? Is he full of green energy or something?

God I hate these bullshit excuses using children's stories as reasons why they can't do good things or stop the slide of this country into oblivion

dusty old bones full of green dust

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Would you agree someone educated would vote better than someone uneducated? Any system is always disenfranchising. Even democracy disenfranchises the minority. Our current system is already broken in that it favors the majority, regardless of their vice or virtue. And it's already abused as is, as democracy has devolved into bread and circuses.

If you don't want your vote taken away from you, then exert the effort to be educated. No one is preventing you from getting it. Voting shouldn't be so easily attained as letting the minimum requirement be a warm body means that democracy devolves into a body politic that will eat itself.

And I quote:

“The America of my time line is a laboratory example of what can happen to democracies, what has eventually happened to all perfect democracies throughout all histories. A perfect democracy, a ‘warm body’ democracy in which every adult may vote and all votes count equally, has no internal feedback for self-correction. It depends solely on the wisdom and self-restraint of citizens… which is opposed by the folly and lack of self-restraint of other citizens. What is supposed to happen in a democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that he votes his own self-interest as he sees it… which for the majority translates as ‘Bread and Circuses.

Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome.”

We restrict driving to be a privilege, since if we allow anyone to drive, regardless of qualification, people will die. And yet, voting, which the ultimate result of will decide the fate of the country and the lives of millions, is treated haphazardly as something to be awarded to everyone, regardless of their ability to kill the body politic.

Do google the tragedy of the commons.

But there is a wish, in me, that the ills of democracy can be cured by shifting to eruditocracy. it's a healthy compromise between gatekeeping the vote to those who have bothered to care enough to educate themselves but not gatekeep hard enough to bar people who really want to vote.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Stringent posted:

joe biden promised that nothing would change and so far he's kept his word. i don't know what ppl are complaining about.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mastershakeman posted:

Sure it's important to know what made up bullshit the media is arguing about this week

is it?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

thank you for standing with our proud Innovators, sirs

I wonder what "we work for health" means?

ah yes

Nichael has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Oct 11, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nichael posted:

ah yes

Delaware is a mess!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Why else are we reading this thread

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nichael posted:

ah yes

someone should primary one of those guys

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

ah yes

also, opposing government setting a livable wage :xd:

thanks, Delaware! sure glad you voted against Jess Scarane! :unsmith:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

once again though, green lantern theory is only for democrats. fascist donald trump, at the direction of vladamir putin, his gay lover he was butt loving (gross!!), was able to do non stop freaking fascism with no oversight for 4 years because he did have complete power and control, actually

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Feldegast42 posted:

Anyways, here is a snapshot of some people who I'm sure explaining the Green Lantern theory to them will do wonders:

https://twitter.com/DavidAstinWalsh/status/1447526636409217027

Remember when Biden said that if you're not voting for him then you're not black? Maybe that will work again

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

cured by shifting to eruditocracy. it's a healthy compromise between gatekeeping the vote to those who have bothered to care enough to educate themselves but not gatekeep hard enough to bar people who really want to vote

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

what the gently caress is a Green Lantern Theorist?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mastershakeman posted:

Why else are we reading this thread

good point

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

man it's almost as if literacy tests are designed to be impossible and people suggesting we bring them back are either incredibly stupid or incredibly racist (or both)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Feldegast42 posted:

How come Trump can do anything he wants then? Is he full of green energy or something?

God I hate these bullshit excuses using children's stories as reasons why they can't do good things or stop the slide of this country into oblivion

Trump was a full on fascist despot who could do whatever he wanted.
But Biden can't do that because actually there are rules and that's why Trump never got to do everything he wanted.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is pepsi ok posted:

The more italics you use in a post the more right your argument is.

yes

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

That's literally just every Presidential candidate unless it is a remarkably low-turnout year because that is how population growth works.

He got ~46% of the popular vote.

Every single day at lunchtime, I make history by setting a new record for most sandwiches eaten by me in a lifetime.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hate to make "dont be cringe" something with political valence but god drat his "moreover ice must be destroyed" bit is extremely cringe.....................especially when he works for god drat robert evans who openly admits to cooperating with the us security state lol

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

the_steve posted:

Trump was a full on fascist despot who could do whatever he wanted.
But Biden can't do that because actually there are rules and that's why Trump never got to do everything he wanted.

Broke: We need to follow the rules or we're as bad as Trump
Woke: The rules say nothing can ever get better

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fleetwood posted:

Tilda Swinton as lunatic Biden would be gold

holy poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

i hate to make "dont be cringe" something with political valence but god drat his "moreover ice must be destroyed" bit is extremely cringe.....................especially when he works for god drat robert evans who openly admits to cooperating with the us security state lol

It's even better, this dude works for clear channel media which helped censor various artists after 9/11. :thumbsup:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

Extremely Kamala-ishly: "It was a sitcom!"

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

This person should be killed

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/joshuad_reads/status/1446954339654897670

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

She is on pills

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Delaware is a mess!

The US government also funded things like Warp Speed project with no pricing strings attached but the Pharma companies are the victim in this situation.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1447592360892944385?s=20

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

paul_soccer12 posted:

She is on pills

I have yet to see a clip of her not completely xanned out

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1447588098301472769?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1447542418686029827?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol what if 2024 is a 2016 rematch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the government is facing a legitimacy crisis because a bunch of poo poo is going really bad for a lot of people and the government is doing jack poo poo in response