Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

one of our pet rats just died suddenly and our 4-year-old is getting her intro to grief :(

Our cats are six years old which means they still got plenty of years ahead of em but at rare points I quickly become sad at having to cross that road when we come to it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Depressing childhood mourning e/n:

We had a bad fire on our street last winter, it killed 4 people including my 7 year olds friend. He came to our house for multiple birthday parties. There was no funeral, not even a chance to mourn with other kids because COVID had closed the schools here. There was a bad wave in February, so we were all very isolated. She talks about him often, and we're just trying to help her through but it's tough.

School starting again has brought it back to the surface, because 1 of the 2 routes to and from school takes us by the empty lot where their house used to stand.

Check your smoke alarm batteries!!! After the fire I put up 4 new ones in addition to the one per floor setup we had already.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Jesus.

I was going to post about losing our malamute and two cats from old age over the past couple of years and how my kid seems to be getting better at processing grief, but that’s next level.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

poo poo I'm so sorry.

Want to add: get carbon monoxide detectors too. That poo poo will wreck you.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Mustached Demon posted:

poo poo I'm so sorry.

Want to add: get carbon monoxide detectors too. That poo poo will wreck you.

yeah, I have 3 in my house

also, I bought a fire escape ladder since our rooms are on the 2nd floor. if poo poo hits the fan we roll it off the window and get down. it’s rolled up underneath the bed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

caught our first daycare cold :stoked:

multiple tests and we're all covid free and she just has the usual cough/runny nose but im keeping her home an extra day, just thinking about the other kids and worrying a whole bunch

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good soup! posted:

caught our first daycare cold :stoked:

multiple tests and we're all covid free and she just has the usual cough/runny nose but im keeping her home an extra day, just thinking about the other kids and worrying a whole bunch

At least one of my kids has been sick for 6 out of 8 weeks of preschool this year.

One of the weeks they weren't sick was the second week of quarantine.

Unfortunately pretty much normal because young kids in daycare/preschool are sick constantly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I went for a jog this morning and I found a piece of errant Lego on the ground.

When I picked it up it was immediately clear to me that it's a unique piece based on how the studs are spaced on top and I thought "man some parent is gonna be fuckin pissed".

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

brugroffil posted:

At least one of my kids has been sick for 6 out of 8 weeks of preschool this year.

One of the weeks they weren't sick was the second week of quarantine.

Unfortunately pretty much normal because young kids in daycare/preschool are sick constantly.

My youngest has been getting me sick with a cold just about every month since she started daycare late last year. Had a covid test every time. Still not as bad as when my oldest gave me hand foot and mouth disease after she started daycare.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

My youngest has been getting me sick with a cold just about every month since she started daycare late last year. Had a covid test every time. Still not as bad as when my oldest gave me hand foot and mouth disease after she started daycare.

my poor spouse didn’t get severely sick before our kid and then after our kid got in daycare and eventually got sick she would just get severely sick and would need to keep a bottle of pedialite ready. like throwing up and such every time she would get sick from our kid.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Make sure you give your toddlers vitamin d supplements. It's insanely common to be deficient. Ours was also constantly sick and se blood work found her deficient. Smooth sailing since starting vitamin d drops. Also adults should supplement too, particularly in winter but let's face it computer toucher goons aren't getting much sun in summer either.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

Make sure you give your toddlers vitamin d supplements. It's insanely common to be deficient. Ours was also constantly sick and se blood work found her deficient. Smooth sailing since starting vitamin d drops. Also adults should supplement too, particularly in winter but let's face it computer toucher goons aren't getting much sun in summer either.

funny you mention that, when our kid was born the pediatrician had our kid on D because we were half mom half formula due to circumstances and this year I was found to be D deficient . our kid’s milk and diet might not have enough D since we live in a northern climate so at her next well check I’m going to ask for blood work to see if we need to supplement.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Over here daily doses of D is recommended for all kids under 2, and encouraged afterwards especially in winter. But we are pretty far north I guess.

Anyway, my kid had a constant runny nose from even he started in daycare until one week into lockdown. Daycare and the like are full of diseases basically, on account of all the different sources of the parents and the lack of immunity of the kids. Also because, when lockdown was lifted, the first thing one of the kids did after disinfecting and getting dropped off was to lick the entire railing up the stairs inside.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm night crew and definitely supplement vitamin D outside of summer. Mowing the lawn and taking kid to park ought to cover summer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Using my kid's school-issued iPad to stream pirated baseball games is the most Dad Move I've pulled yet.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Using my kid's school-issued iPad to stream pirated baseball games is the most Dad Move I've pulled yet.

i still haven't given back the hotspots issued by the school last year. free internet ftw

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
what's a good gift for a 1yr old babby whose birthday i forgot about? I'm thinking a gift card isn't appropriate

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cardboard box, snacks, things that can make noise when banged against the floor.

Gift card for 5 walks in the park with you (minimum one hour for sleep)

E: infinite wrapping paper.

BonHair has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Oct 1, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

those Gerber Yogurt Melts are too good, wtf

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Good soup! posted:

Those Sesame Street peanut puffs rule. They get stale way too easy though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Good soup! posted:

yeah seriously lol, I always have to sneak a couple during snacktime. It's hard not to just buy a bag for myself and chow down

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

what's a good gift for a 1yr old babby whose birthday i forgot about? I'm thinking a gift card isn't appropriate

a set of cheap musical instruments for kids :unsmigghh:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

BonHair posted:

Cardboard box, snacks, things that can make noise when banged against the floor.

Gift card for 5 walks in the park with you (minimum one hour for sleep)

E: infinite wrapping paper.

all good suggestions

U-DO Burger posted:

did this for my other niece already. maybe they can start a band :twisted:

e: i bought her a nice wooden xylophone that was immediately commandeered by her 3yr old sister, who later attempted to bonk me in the head with the mallet. this is why i don't have kids.

Stevie Lee has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Oct 3, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Please go to an instrument store, not a toy store. You can get actual functional instruments for the same price and much higher quality. My kid got my old harmonica, and it's honestly not terrible sounding when we "jam" with me on guitar, despite him being four.

My wife unfortunately has vetoed percussion for now. I'm gonna try again in the spring when we're settled in to the house more. But I have done some research, and the options are not bad.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Setting everything up like I'm Mick Gordon and after the thrash break the kid comes in with the triangle solo.
I still have a 35 year old Casio keyboard and that's basically what they play.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
toddlers love screaming into microphones and slamming keyboards, so I would go with those

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

dag, biggest disappointment this weekend - I actually don't have columbus day indigenous peoples day off, because my university's admin/staff observe it as part of our long rear end winter break so I don't get an extra day to make the little one giggle her rear end off :mad:

I also won't get to enjoy it because we are about to move to Providence (in a good way!), but on the flip side my payout from unused vacation/sick will be fuckin sweet and I'm trying to decide what baby stuff to go crazy on

she is now crawling like a madman, standing herself up, can crawl up stairs decently, and is clearly starting to try to transfer weight from one foot to the other - and she's not even nine months yet :negative:

We'll be in an apartment for a little while as we get our bearings before getting a nice house (in probably Barrington?), but I feel like I should already be scouting things for her to climb/slide on, she is a little thrill-seeker that's for sure

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Fort Taber, in New Bedford, is less than an hour's drive and is huge, cool and historical. I seem to recall that you could climb around on parts of the old forts and seawalls. Also perfect for kite flying.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Fort Taber, in New Bedford, is less than an hour's drive and is huge, cool and historical. I seem to recall that you could climb around on parts of the old forts and seawalls. Also perfect for kite flying.

looking it up and :drat: that looks beautiful, my wife loves a lot of stuff in RI/MA but admittedly I know very little beyond Providence being a cool city so I'm looking forward to exploring parks and poo poo

I've got a week's worth of free time between my current job and the one I just got hired for, so I'll probably use it to track down some smaller parks too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm actually a bit excited at this point to be in a smaller apartment for the next year or so as we save our money, our house isn't particularly large but we have done some creative configurations of our living room/kitchen/front door areas to try to keep the baby confined to where we see her

She crawls fast now, you just hear slapping against the ground and her excited pants and I'm thinking "she has seen me, her mom, or one of the cats"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my 4-year-old: i want to be a superhero so i can destroy florida because it's a bad state

i see my kid's been listening to me rant

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

my 4-year-old: i want to be a superhero so i can destroy florida because it's a bad state

i see my kid's been listening to me rant

Do not teach them about global warming, you'll create a supervillain!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid recently learned that "uh oh" is something we say when we drop or spill something, so he has been dropping poo poo and pouring out his water and saying "uh oh!"

it's very cute but also even messier than normal, which, considering he is only 18 months , is pretty drat messy

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

my kid recently learned that "uh oh" is something we say when we drop or spill something, so he has been dropping poo poo and pouring out his water and saying "uh oh!"

it's very cute but also even messier than normal, which, considering he is only 18 months , is pretty drat messy

lol our child sort of starting to understand stuff is hilarious, they recently learned about the concept of a race, as in they yell “ready, set, go” and then run in a tiny circle.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My seven year old was really told by his lunch group - via a survivor like tribal counsel that he was no longer allowed to be part of the group.

I think it’s partially because we kept him remote last year and no one else did.

I want to throat punch this lunch group.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

lobster shirt posted:

Mine thought yelling "poo poo" was what you did after dropping something so she would carefully place her baby on the ground and scream "poo poo" at the top of her lungs. That was a fun week at daycare...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Going through my first annual benefits selection with a kid and luckily I don't have to do all of the stupid HSA/medical care cost modelers because we're on my wife's insurance that isn't a high deductible plan but the whole dependent care account thing is stupid as hell. There's a whole laundry list of stupid things about it
Why do I only even have the ability to make this account because my employer offer it? There's no reason that even having access should be tied to arbitrary decisions by my employer!
Why do I have to decide in October 2021 how much I'm going to contribute throughout all of 2022? My circumstances surrounding childcare could easily change over the course of the next 14 months! At least when I was contributing to an HSA the money just rolled over if I didn't use it.
Why do I have to do a separate account that I prefund and then reimburse myself from anyway? Why add all of these steps instead of just having it be something I can deal with at tax time?
Why the gently caress are there a dozen different "tax advantaged" account options in general instead of just having a dependent be a straight line tax impact that accomplishes the same thing without fifty layers of middlemen and paperwork?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Going through my first annual benefits selection with a kid and luckily I don't have to do all of the stupid HSA/medical care cost modelers because we're on my wife's insurance that isn't a high deductible plan but the whole dependent care account thing is stupid as hell. There's a whole laundry list of stupid things about it
Why do I only even have the ability to make this account because my employer offer it? There's no reason that even having access should be tied to arbitrary decisions by my employer!
Why do I have to decide in October 2021 how much I'm going to contribute throughout all of 2022? My circumstances surrounding childcare could easily change over the course of the next 14 months! At least when I was contributing to an HSA the money just rolled over if I didn't use it.
Why do I have to do a separate account that I prefund and then reimburse myself from anyway? Why add all of these steps instead of just having it be something I can deal with at tax time?
Why the gently caress are there a dozen different "tax advantaged" account options in general instead of just having a dependent be a straight line tax impact that accomplishes the same thing without fifty layers of middlemen and paperwork?

A lot of Dependent Care plans roll over too - they just expire on March 31st of the following year. And you have to decide by October 21st, because Open Enrollment is stupidly only offered once a year and makes the benefits team life hell for 3 months a year.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

man i do not know how people manage without a support network, my kid is sick today so we are holding him out of daycare... my wife and i both have unalterable and important work commitments today. thank goodness my mom is local, she is watching him today while we work. what the hell would we have done if we didn't have her around? anyway, blessings upon all parents, grandparents, and broader support networks today. hope everyone can be safe and healthy today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lmfao substitute virtual teacher misgendered a kid twice (his name is Ciaran and the teacher called him "Karen").

ended with the kid just shouting I AM A BOY I AM A BOY at her.