Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Their ideal English society is just one of those alleged Irish villages that their own ancestors wrote disparagingly about back in the 18th century where everyone just shows up of a weekend and beats the poo poo out of one another with blackthorn sticks in lieu of any social services.

Tbf this does happen at U-13s GAA matches all across the country every weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Doesn't it take something like 10+ years of training to become an architect? If so, I can imagine why it's privileged people who can do that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jaete posted:

How the hell would you have 200k left to be repaid if you borrowed 150k initially? Have you been additionally borrowing a cheeky 5k a month every month or something?

But yes the whole basis of the economy these days is that if the interest rates go up even slightly, an absolute shitload of people will immediately lose their homes, or even worse, their property portfolio will now be non-profitable. So the powers that be will (most likely) do their absolute best to ensure that interest rates remain low literally forever.

Note that even though the BoE rates will remain low for eternity, that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the rates any of the banks charge, since banks are cunts and will never give you a "BoE base rate + 0.6 percentage points" type of deal, because that would be a good deal for the consumer and competition doesn't exist. However, the same political pressure to keep the actual rates low applies to some extent to the banks as well. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the interest rates tbh. The expectation is that you can just keep remortgaging every few years forever since the rates will never go up. If the rates do go up massively, then that means the whole economy is already completely hosed and you won't even have a job and there's no food in the supermarkets and no petrol in the service stations and... well yes, ok, like Brexit currently, but much much worse

I had a deal that was Base Rate + 0.39% for the lifetime of the mortgage back in days of yore before 2008 crash. (Interest only). But my life took an unexpected twist and I chucked in work and went abroad for some years. So that was that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY

I struggle with it for sure.

lol oh man, i can't understand a word of the first two, just about literally. the dude with the caravan is totally understandable, and i find the next pair i can generally understand if i listen very closely

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

As an architectural technologist, yes, the vast majority of people in the industry and in my company are either quite priveleged or toffs/toff-adjacent, certainly the conversations are 90% about 2nd homes, ski holidays and brand new cars. Our clients tend to be very priveleged too. Personally, I make bugger all and after rent have almost nothing left over. I suppose I am privelaged in the respect that it's a semi-decent bungalow. Love to see them all skirting planning, building and tax regulations though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I had a deal that was Base Rate + 0.39% for the lifetime of the mortgage back in days of yore before 2008 crash. (Interest only). But my life took an unexpected twist and I chucked in work and went abroad for some years. So that was that.

I'm on 0.99% above base rate, also from 2007. And we actually applied for fixed rate but the bank made a mistake and did floating, thank gently caress. I'll never have cheaper borrowing in my life.

With my lotto millions I'd buy or build a modernist house. Not too big but with a little home cinema, and a tennis court. I'd spend a shitload of money on film and TV development and maybe make some related investments. The rest would go into pensions and a trust for my son. Oh, I'd chuck some my family's way too. Plus buy woodlands and give to charity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Stolen from the CSPAM UK thread

Adam Smith Institute truly are our best and brightest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I could respect it if the suggestion was to turn the entire archipelago into the world's biggest star fort.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sent every oval office that voted Leave in 2016 there, like the B ark in Hitchhikers except for daily mail readers.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

keep punching joe posted:

Sent every oval office that voted Leave in 2016 there, like the B ark in Hitchhikers except for daily mail readers.

Turning it into a gammonwealth would probably solve their biggest fear too, Argentina wouldn't want to invade and have to deal with their new subjects either.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just push all the plastic in the ocean together somewhere hot, then tell the daily mail this piece of the commonwealth is under threat of bombing by leftists, so they can live out their wet dream combining blitz spirit, preserving the empire and living abroad for tax purposes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
*gazes at ur islands Argentine-generalishly*

StarkingBarfish posted:

Turning it into a gammonwealth

Lol this definitely should be a thing, with administrative capital based in the Pitcairns

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 11, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Anyway totally normal and cool that the right-wing want to get back into the colonisation game. Lucky for the rest of the world that our armed forces are a shambolic mess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

*gazes at ur islands Argentine-generalishly*
Argentine Special Forces invade an island full of clueless fash dickwits who think they're militarily relevant and personally won WWII (2028, colorized)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jpkesseler/status/1447067304609599489?s=21

https://twitter.com/matt95997324/status/1447235491091386368?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I read a piece about life in the Falklands in the New Yorker last year, and honestly I think I would last about 2 weeks before letting the sea claim me

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/07/06/how-prosperity-transformed-the-falklands

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Anyway totally normal and cool that the right-wing want to get back into the colonisation game. Lucky for the rest of the world that our armed forces are a shambolic mess.

Hey, at least this is just them settling on a place where British citizens live (and nobody else is stupid enough to). Most of what makes colonisation objectionable is when it involves ethnic cleansing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1447582789382123529

Going by their past record, the Labour Party is going to end up giving Seumas Milne a million quid and a role of president for life.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Gammons should have smaller ambitions, maybe start by taking back St. Kilda from the seagulls.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Parking a Type 45 in the harbour and then building New Jerusalem on the rock would probably be of a net benefit to world peace, given that to sustain it you'd need close agricultural ties to the nearest continent and all the boomers would die off fast given the conditions.

sebzilla posted:

Going by their past record, the Labour Party is going to end up giving Seumas Milne a million quid and a role of president for life.

Keith's gonna have to argue why these whistleblowers are bad, but the Panorama ones deserved payoffs, and not reveal any detail about the report into the report. :lol:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

This rules. Kieth gonna fulfill my desire to see Labour dead

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

This rules. Kieth gonna fulfill my desire to see Labour dead

it’s so weird. i don’t actually think that’s his goal but it’s amazing to see how he’s made the wrong choice at like. every single opportunity.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
He's just following direct orders from his MI5 handler.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
CW: Nigel Farage

https://twitter.com/brolachan/status/1447284578842988548

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

???

Is he stupid enough to not know what he's saying, is he that shameless, or that strapped for cash?

It's a good joke but still gently caress giving that dog oval office your money, could never be me

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

You say that like it's a joke, but the five named people are deploying Carter-Ruck, one of the most terrifying libel/defamation firms in the UK. Labour is fuuucked.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1447584611769409544?s=21

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mebh posted:

I rang up my mortgage advisor to ask exactly this and he told me to get an estate agent in, tell them I want to sell and get a valuation.

You're under no obligation to sell, if you tell them you're remortgaging you'll just get an online survey which you can do yourself and won't account for any changes.

When the mortgage company send the valuer round they won't go inside and nose about so they often value under what an estate agent would. They don't even visit in a lot of cases, just do a cursory check against similar properties nearby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if keefy thinks that he's gonna personally ride in with his lawyer sword on his farmed donkey and slay the dragon of the left.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if keefy thinks that he's gonna personally ride in with his lawyer sword on his farmed donkey and slay the dragonalpaca of the left.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is he stupid enough to not know what he's saying, is he that shameless, or that strapped for cash?
Yes in general.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

He's just following direct orders from his MI5 handler.

Pretty sure that the former head of the DPP doesn't need a handler.

OK, OK, has not been given a handler. It's pretty clear at this point that he needs more adult supervision than he's presently receiving.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I don't really understand why in places like Finland this kind of "base rate + some constant margin" kind of mortgage deal is completely ubiquituous, and here in the UK it literally doesn't exist at all any more.

This is a good example of where the economy advancing to a more progressed state means that things get more lovely for the ordinary people. The "more advanced" just means "more profit for the giant corps" and gently caress everyone else. You would think that in a place like the UK, where compared to Finland the economy is much bigger, everything is way more international and there's a lot more competition and choice and so on, someone would have the idea of offering a "base rate + constant margin" mortgage and thereby attract customers and make bank, but no. Competition truly is for suckers, as one of our modern prophets Peter Thiel preaches to us

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

When the mortgage company send the valuer round they won't go inside and nose about so they often value under what an estate agent would. They don't even visit in a lot of cases, just do a cursory check against similar properties nearby.

During my recent fun of having rain coming in through a roof that's 5 floors above me I got chatting to the landlord of the flat next door which I think turned me into a Maoist but the absolute highlight was her bitching about the old boy a few doors down who basically did a DIY equity release by selling his house to his son-in-law at a really sharp discount but which means the only other three-bedroom ground-floor maisonette on the street shows up on the Land Registry at about 40% less than the 2-bedroom places around it went for, which has apparently made it hard for her to remortgage her place for the amount she owes on it, because apparently that's pretty much all they look at.

As I was trying to get her (or rather her solicitors, who are loving red-hot at fighting the HA) to sort out the roof thing I made sympathetic noises, which I'm aware is probably booking myself a nice sunny spot in front of the wall.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

All Brexit voters to be transported to the Falklands where they will joyously join hands and walk shoulder to shoulder across the minefields left over from the war... the survivors will be allowed to live there as a "reward". :commissar:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thanks to the sound financial advice of this thread (ahem) I have purchased a Euromillions ticket.
When I win, I might throw you paupers a few crusts or burn a few rolled up £50 notes in front of you.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks to the sound financial advice of this thread (ahem) I have purchased a Euromillions ticket.
When I win, I might throw you paupers a few crusts or burn a few rolled up £50 notes in front of you.

If i won i would buy my way into New Zealand and call it a day. :colbert:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

If i won i would buy my way into New Zealand and call it a day. :colbert:

This is the thing though isn't it. If you're wealthy enough you can just buy a citizenship in another country and never mind brexit or whatever, it just won't touch you.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Malta looks like an easy citizenship for rich pricks. Something like half a million (split 50/50 between property and 'cultural donations' and you can get an EU passport again.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Malta looks like an easy citizenship for rich pricks. Something like half a million (split 50/50 between property and 'cultural donations' and you can get an EU passport again.
It's basically part of their GDP at this point. Probably placing down a field of 500k lumps of concrete for rich fucks who want a passport to fulfill the property requirement with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flayer posted:

a field of 500k lumps of concrete

Somewhat uncharitable way to describe the maltese gun batteries :v: