Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I've never programmed in anything other than C, C++, and Python, so I have no idea what you guys are even talking about. Dependency management?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

meson, kinda

enjoy our fine selection of like, thirty packages

conan is ok and pretty easy to integrate with cmake

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
vcpkg

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
new job uses angular and i forgot how heavyweight this poo poo is. also they put everything into ngrx store, the screen width, whatever, its really annoying. oh also nx is on top of it. its overbuilt complexity the app

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Presto posted:

I've never programmed in anything other than C, C++, and Python, so I have no idea what you guys are even talking about. Dependency management?

Does pip not count?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DrPossum posted:

Does pip not count?

not since pip search was turned off from too many requests

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

terrible programming question: if i'm building processes on the same machine that i want to communicate with each other is there any reason to not just use localhost? from what i can gather the OS is smart enough to remove most of the overhead when you use it so it's fairly efficient. i have a series of python modules which will need to communicate with a java machine where they'll be exchanging roughly 100k messages per second, so if there's a way for them to communicate that's significantly more efficient i should probably go with that instead

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PIZZA.BAT posted:

terrible programming question: if i'm building processes on the same machine that i want to communicate with each other is there any reason to not just use localhost? from what i can gather the OS is smart enough to remove most of the overhead when you use it so it's fairly efficient. i have a series of python modules which will need to communicate with a java machine where they'll be exchanging roughly 100k messages per second, so if there's a way for them to communicate that's significantly more efficient i should probably go with that instead

comedy option: send them through a dbus

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I would be hard pressed to name something faster than shared variables/memory blocks unless there was some bizarre hardware setup I'm unaware of that would allow for shared cache or registers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the overhead of local network sockets is going to be a hell of a lot more than something like unix sockets or pipes for IPC

running this https://github.com/rigtorp/ipc-bench on a 2.2 GHz Sandy Bridge Xeon, with 1000 octet messages, I get almost 700,000 messages/second via pipes and a palty 46,000 messages/second via TCP. unix sockets come in at about 450,000 messages/second

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

well. i've been teaching myself a shitload of other concepts for this project so why not pipes as well?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
pipes are easy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah this doesn't look difficult at all. i've just never built something myself that had to use them. ty, thread

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
pipes are great for synchronous IPC because the read/write calls are inherently synchronous. in theory you can get even faster with shared memory but you have to write your own message passing and synchronization code with futexes and the like and frankly gently caress that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

todats standup status: laying some pipe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

terrible programming: yeah this doesn't look difficult at all.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Carthag Tuek posted:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
what protocol are you supposed to use over pipes?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

:ocelot:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DrPossum posted:

Does pip not count?
Don't think I ever used pip.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my homie dhall posted:

idk you can use anything, like xml, json, datagrams, protobufs? as long as you have a way to tell the receiver how long the message is / when the next one begins (could be a length or a special value etc)

probably depends what you wanna do specifically tho

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

my homie dhall posted:

what do you use over a socket?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Presto posted:

and you’ve used python? :staredog:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Presto posted:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

maybe they use conda

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
tbf not using pip would probably improve my python experience. perhaps it is everyone else who is foolish

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i feel very "works for me WONTFIX" about pip but i understand that people may have had hellrides with it and will always listen

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Limiting yourself to whatever is packaged by your distro isn't the worst idea imo.
When a Python thing is packaged by Debian it's usually a sign that it's being maintained.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Share Bear posted:

i feel very "works for me WONTFIX" about pip but i understand that people may have had hellrides with it and will always listen

same

its bad mostly if you try to install poo poo that needs specific C/C++ dependencies, like data science crap that will silently install itself without GPU support unless the environment you install it into has the exact right stuff in the exact right location so the setup scripts can find it

installing like django, flask, postgres stuff? has never been, will never be a problem

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

wtf how am I getting connection pool exhaustion issues when using integrated security under the app pool Identity but not when I use SQL security for the same application

e: oh the iis app pool was not set to run under the application identity so I guess all the pooled connections we're getting put into a different process identify and only ever got created, they were never getting "re used"

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 11, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Limiting yourself to whatever is packaged by your distro isn't the worst idea imo.
When a Python thing is packaged by Debian it's usually a sign that it's being maintained.

lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Debian, the distro that doesn't even have a bug tracker where to get something patched you have to track down the package maintainer and harass them by email?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Antigravitas posted:

I was going to say, this is bait

but it's too late I see

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Of course it is being maintained.

By idiots

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Share Bear posted:

maybe they use conda
Nope. I don't know what these things are for. I just install python and it goes.

I've also only ever programmed on isolated systems

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
hmm, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to move a muscle until you've downloaded an additional tens of millions of lines of code that do… things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Antigravitas posted:

Presto posted:

Nope. I don't know what these things are for. I just install python and it goes.

I've also only ever programmed on isolated systems

These sure are SOME posts. Presto do you also post from isolated systems? Are you sending your posts to jeffrey of YOSPOS by carrier pigeon?