Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

The_Rob posted:

The shivering truth is such an awesome show and no one ever talks about it.

It's an upsetting show to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It's an upsetting show to talk about.

My favorite bit is definitely the one where people discover prayer works which leads to a bunch of nonbelievers riding around on the back of believers who are praying for the ability to fly around.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

They’re onto us https://mobile.twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1446853081828839424

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Is that a joke article like Babylon Bee or something but even less funny

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A rare miss for the those guys, I guess

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All those jokes about unpleasable whiny nerds are really starting to come off as being angry that people are giving any sort of criticism whatsoever or otherwise having taste. Reminds me of the game journalism (lol) around the Mass Effect 3 ending.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

There’s not much point in trying to to write a funny article but the premise itself being “Uh actually you nerds, actually comedy is subjective, you see”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Every time I see stupid “:actually: the show was always bad” articles like that, I am reminded of how Animaniacs predicted poo poo like this nearly 30 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I stole this ages ago from these very forums, but

a Star Trek fan is someone who loves Gene Roddenberry and a Star Wars fan is someone who hates George Lucas

I think we all feel both ways about Groening

ps: no need to tell me how the first part is incorrect

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

Every time I see stupid “:actually: the show was always bad” articles like that, I am reminded of how Animaniacs predicted poo poo like this nearly 30 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

That's because there was production crossover between Animaniacs and Tiny Toons, which came first, and Tiny Toons had some really awful fans who became way too obsessed with the characters/voice actors.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

muscles like this! posted:

That's because there was production crossover between Animaniacs and Tiny Toons, which came first, and Tiny Toons had some really awful fans who became way too obsessed with the characters/voice actors.

I've heard that part of the reason they decided to cancel Tiny Toons is that the producers kept getting letters from people who wanted to have sex with the cartoon animal children

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC one of the voice actors for some of the female characters ended up getting a full on stalker.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC one of the voice actors for some of the female characters ended up getting a full on stalker.

Correct. http://unpromisedone.blogspot.com/2012/11/meet-dennis-quozl-falk-man-who-got-tiny.html?m=1

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

oh my god that t-shirt

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jesus Christ. Never knew about the Tiny Toons “fandom” :stare:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Darth Sidious to Chris-chan’s Vader

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That Hard Times satire post would be funnier if there wasn't a pretty much unanimous agreement about which era of The Simpsons is good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

That Hard Times satire post would be funnier if there wasn't a pretty much unanimous agreement about which era of The Simpsons is good.

To be fair, even on these forums I've seen people argue that seasons 1, 2, 7, and 8 are all not good. So while I feel like saying the first eight seasons are good is a safe bet, sometimes that's whittled down to only four: 3-6. I think there's a good joke to be made of taking that kind of thinking to its logical extreme of "no seasons are good" but I'm not sure if that's the angle that article was going for.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

is there really a need to pick through the simpsons looking for "the goods" when there have been two decades worth of great animated television made since the last time good episode of this show? exactly

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

To be fair, even on these forums I've seen people argue that seasons 1, 2, 7, and 8 are all not good. So while I feel like saying the first eight seasons are good is a safe bet, sometimes that's whittled down to only four: 3-6. I think there's a good joke to be made of taking that kind of thinking to its logical extreme of "no seasons are good" but I'm not sure if that's the angle that article was going for.

I've always gone with 3~8 as being the peak period, and that season 10 is around the point where the good episodes still outnumbered the bad or mediocre ones. I'd also agree with the premise that you'll likely find the odd gem or solid gag up until around the early teens.

Season 8 is also where the cracks start to appear, but the strength of the writing episode to episode, and the quality of the jokes is strong enough to paper over them.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 11, 2021

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I like seasons 1 and 2 :colbert:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

me too

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

You Are A Elf posted:

I do too

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like Homer he's really funny!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think this Bart character could be a real breakout star

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXKoiJrEUtI

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

My favorite Bart bit is that one montage that shows him growing up to be a giant loving deadbeat loser, good way for the writers to spell out 'yeah this is what happens when you keep this poo poo up'.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Parrotine posted:

My favorite Bart bit is that one montage that shows him growing up to be a giant loving deadbeat loser, good way for the writers to spell out 'yeah this is what happens when you keep this poo poo up'.

They did that more than once! It was a whole running gag for awhile that Bart would fantasize about being homeless, or a drug addict, or just a burnout.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

But also that if he tried hard, he could end up being the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, AND get to watch the Itchy and Scratchy Movie.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So he drank a poo poo ton of beer and did other crimes?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The old timeline at least was he ends up a construction/demolition worker in between mooching and studies law at night school, eventually passing the bar.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Atlas Hugged posted:

They did that more than once! It was a whole running gag for awhile that Bart would fantasize about being homeless, or a drug addict, or just a burnout.

And the punchline was always Bart returning to reality and responding with "cool"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I think he's a real bad influence on the youth

Kids telling their teachers to eat their shorts, or to not have a cow??

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

and once again this thread exploded while i was gone, but thankfully most of the discourse was on michael jackson so i don't think i missed much. anyway...

roomtone posted:

i watched the 'radioactive man' s7e2 a few days ago and that episode was pretty bad in a way i associate with season 9+. i thought the funny seasons were basically 4-8 consistently with the low end being bland, but radioactive man was really a crappy episode with a lot of annoying jokes in it. the director character feels like one of their bad celebrity guests.

it's weird because it's a pretty good idea for a plot. bart wants to be cast as radioactive man's sidekick in the new movie, but milhouse gets it.

You Are A Elf posted:

The very first episode I immediately thought was subpar upon its initial airing was “Lisa the Vegetarian.” To me, it feels more like a season 10 episode then a season 7 one. The worst offense about it is it’s got the now common, “Wow, look, it’s world renowned celebrity, [CELEBRITY]! What are you doing in Springfield?!” trope that may be the granddaddy of them all (thus, the season 10 comparison like the lovely Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger episode).

It’s very mean-spirited against Lisa for her newfound beliefs and against everyone else from Lisa for theirs, and it’s just not a very pleasant episode. I’ve never liked it, and I don’t think I ever will.

i know what both of you are talking about. it's really strange cause both the radioactive man episode and lisa the vegetarian have lots of solid, memorable and hilarious moments, but there's something about them that prevents me from thinking their good episodes. for the latter, perhaps a huge part of it was the ending part with the beatles (or whoever the special guest stars were). for some reason i felt the the episode dips a lot by that point.

that being said, i don't think the radioactive man episode has that same problem as i absolutely loved mickey rooney's appearance. his speech to milhouse was gold.

"Come on, Milhouse, you have to do this, if not for yourself, then for the moviegoing public and for the foreign markets that are more important than ever nowadays and...finally, for me: the Mickster."

the delivery at the end of that line was beautiful.

but yeah, while i definitely prefer the radioactive man episode over the other one, i can see what roomstone is talking about.

Junk posted:

its interesting to see how the average goon's tastes for edgy animated adult cartoons has pivoted so much. is it just a natural shift in taste as we're all growing older, or has the intense politicization of everything on the internet put us more on-guard with what kinds of jokes and ideas we allow ourselves to be exposed to?

my offensive, edgy phase was (thankfully) fairly short that lasted about 2 years from 2004-2005. amusingly enough, that was when i joined SA and was prominently posting before slowing down dramatically and then once again returning after several years as the prodigal goon. :glomp:

the appeal of offensive, edgy humor was almost entirely a novelty for me. before I joined SA, all the messageboards that i went to had strict posting guidelines in terms of racism/homophobia/etc. not that i had any issues with such guidelines at the time or anything. i never had a particular desire to call anyone the n-word or f-word, but the fact that you could freely say those things on SA did make it appealing. again, i had no ill will against black people or the jews or whatever, but it just seemed, well...funny to see people freely saying poo poo like that with no repercussions. the fact that it was also a paid site, something that felt like almost a privilege to be part of a community as opposed to pretty much every other forum on the internet also led it to have some sort of mystique.

anyway, so what caused me to get out of that phase? well, two big things. one, i got banned from a different, fairly large messageboard in 2005 shortly after i joined because i stupidly carried over some of my SA-isms there. looking back i legit don't know why i did that, as i feel like some part of me would know that that kind of poo poo wouldn't be allowed on most non-SA forums, but whatever the reason, i did so and got a lovely 2 month ban for it. i liked the forum in question at the time, so needless to say, that was the first and last time such a thing would happen.

the second is that, honestly, i just kind of grew out of it. the previous banning did a lot to kind of send me back to reality, but i also realized i was just getting bored of that kind of hosed up humor. i realized it was one of those things that seems kind of amusing at first, but really gets boring pretty quick. a concept like "hey, what if we have a show like the simpsons but there's way more rape?" can only go so far, imo. and there are so many shows that take that idea "what if it's like X, but with more *insert some super offensive poo poo* ". it gets lazy and dull once the initial shock value wears off in most instances. we had poo poo like south park, drawn together, super milk chan, family guy came back with the offensive poo poo turned up to 11, etc. there was a LOT of this kind of content back then

now that being said, i can still watch many things that are edgy nowadays, but it's no longer something i seek out and also no longer has the whole forbidden fruit quality that made it appealing all those years ago.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Reminder that it wasn’t actually Lisa, but a native girl he decided to call Lisa because he couldn’t pronounce her name.

he actually called her Lisa Jr.

You Are A Elf posted:

The_Rob posted:

I do too

guys, come on.

we're all friends here.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 11, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The old timeline at least was he ends up a construction/demolition worker in between mooching and studies law at night school, eventually passing the bar.

something Homer could never do

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New one is the treehouse of horror.

Starts off with a short song about Disney protagonists always being miserable with all their family dead, then it's Bambi but Burns in the hunter and Homer as a stag kills him.

First real parody is parasite. For some reason the rich family is Rainier Wolfcastle, and the Simpsons con their way into his house and learn the Van Hautens have been living below the house. But after they discover that, like every character in town turns out to be living there and it devolves into an all-out melee. Mr. Burns is on the top floor all of a sudden and gets killed. They try to make it seem like a massive class struggle but everyone but Burns is portrayed as poor, so I dunno. The Simpsons wind up keeping the house but it's full of all the corpses.

The second one isn't a parody. Bart tells the other kids a scary story in the treehouse, Lisa gets a nightmare, and Homer determines that the treehouse is to blame. He starts cutting the tree down, but it gets hit by lighting and comes to life. It endows sentience on the rest of the trees in town and they kill everyone.

There's a little interstitial poem in a cool animation style. They used clips of this in all the commercials, but it's not a full story.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1447356940401659907

Last one is the Ring, but with TikTok. Lisa befriends the Samara stand-in to stop her killing spree, but then is so clingy that she decides to go back in the well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
WHAT IF IT'S THE RING, BUT WITH TIK TOK!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

WHAT IF IT'S THE RING, BUT WITH TIK TOK!

It's not even really the Ring because everyone who dies just dies sudden and violent deaths in front of everyone else, rather than Samara killing them when no one else is around. Ralph kicks Sherri and Terri's heads off while he's swinging for instance. Lisa is the only one who actually meets Samara. Like the Parasite parody, it seems like it was written by someone who watched the original source material once while playing phone games the whole time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Man, I liked The Shining parody. The writers watched the movie and it really added to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

Season 1, in retrospect, leans a little too heavily on being the anti-Cosby show and a lot of the episodes have a very dark, depressing overtone to them. It has it's moments, but overall it's clear that it was still finding it's footing. Season 2 is where it really starts to take shape.