Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Vincent posted:

All superheroes are cops, sadly.

I dunno I'm not seeing a lot of corrupt superhero unions, abuse of public funds, and at least nowadays they've actually gotten better about endemic racism.

Actually most superheroes are criminal vigilantes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I dunno I'm not seeing a lot of corrupt superhero unions, abuse of public funds, and at least nowadays they've actually gotten better about endemic racism.

That's because you haven't dug deep enough into the Green Lantern Corps' dirty little secrets! #askquestions

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

More of Jo Mullein cleaning dirty Lanterns' clocks, please.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

No DC I don't want an nft please gently caress off with this poo poo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wayne Family Adventures is still cute and throwing shade at the main Batman canon like their renamings, who was trained by assassings, and who died and came back to life (with Dick's Crime Syndicate thing up for debate)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1447565280423469058

Is this old news or did this information only just come out no pun intended? Either way, it's awesome. And I hope Superman's new boyfriend gets him to shave his dreadful sideburns.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

It's new, apparently it's going to be in issue #5 but they decided to announce it in Coming Out Day before the leakers reveal it early.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was also hinted at fairly strongly in the most recent issue.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

JordanKai posted:

Is this old news or did this information only just come out no pun intended? Either way, it's awesome. And I hope Superman's new boyfriend gets him to shave his dreadful sideburns.

...What sideburns???

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

JordanKai posted:

I like Jon Kent and I think this is cool

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But he is a hacktivist?

Gross

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

But he is a hacktivist?

Gross

Even when Jon Kent wins, writers find some way to screw him over :v:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Adnor posted:

It's new, apparently it's going to be in issue #5 but they decided to announce it in Coming Out Day before the leakers reveal it early.

it already kinda leaked a month or so ago I believe

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The hacktivist thing sucks so much

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh poor Jon...

You can do so much better than that guy

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

No no no you don't get it, it's meant to be a parallel of Clark and Lois! A hacktivist is just a modern journalist!

(/S)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If only Damian was a little older. (And more into people of the same gender.) We'd get the OTP that's been shipped since it was Conner and Tim as Superboy and Robin

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

JordanKai posted:

Admins, please rename the forum "Superman Gay So What?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Siegkrow posted:

No no no you don't get it, it's meant to be a parallel of Clark and Lois! A hacktivist is just a modern journalist!

(/S)

That up is the exact argument made in the story.

He will also have super powers and won’t be a damsel in distress.

Which you don’t need powers to not do that

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The article says he’s a superpowered refugee from Gamorra, which is currently ruled by Henry Bendix. This feels very much like he’s going to turn out to be a sleeper agent at the very least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PantsOptional posted:

The article says he’s a superpowered refugee from Gamorra, which is currently ruled by Henry Bendix. This feels very much like he’s going to turn out to be a sleeper agent at the very least.

I know it's been ages but the odd remnants of Wildstorm still hanging around always feel a little jarring.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

limaCAT posted:

Admins, please rename the forum "Superman Gay So What?"

:yeah:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If not the sub forum, then the thread

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Oh poor Jon...

Jon being a disaster bi, but having a stronger moral core when being Superman than even his dad, would be pretty cool.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xelkelvos posted:

If not the sub forum, then the thread

BSS should now be Bisexual Super Son.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

BrianWilly posted:

Oh poor Jon...

Anyone's going to be a downgrade from Saturn Girl...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Open Marriage Night posted:

BSS should now be Bisexual Super Son.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I only just asked the admins for the Halloween forum name change, so I'm going to hold off for the time being. I will keep Bisexual Super Son in mind for November. :gaysper:

And I will change the name of the thread!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Keep the Halloween title for the forum until after Halloween, Jon doesn't actually come out in comics this month, they just decided to spoil it on National Coming Out Day (which I don't blame them for).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Having Tom King say that Superman's actually somehow deep down secretly a cop in this new WW anniversary special is...well, I don't really know what it is. It might even be nothing, tbh. But I feel like it's...something.

On the other hand, Diana is so often relegated to being the inhuman joyless square when interacting with Clark that I do kinda like the dynamic being reversed for once. It's at least a novel take, if nothing else.

I only got around to reading this special today, alongside the new issue.

I kinda wanna just do a quick hits of what I thought about all the stories, but let's start with the Tom King one: I appreciated the use of mod Diana, it's not something I need to be referenced regularly, but the period piece was a fun spin to take. I think the 'cop' thing rankles more because it feels like King trying to tie a sort of benign 'dorky' quality to that term to maybe defuse some of the weight it's started to carry, which feels a tad tone-deaf these days.

The lead story by the current team was pretty nice but feels like it could've been running as a subplot in the main book instead of trying to cram all the context in here in a special not everyone reading the main book will be reading. (Also the newest issue was a mixed bag also: With some very tin-eared dialogue and choices - the gently caress was that US Marines 'oo-rah' with the Bana? - but some nice beats like reimagining the Holiday Girls as a biker gang that presumably Etta ran with before joining the military)

The Jordie Bellaire Wonder Kid stories continue to be stronger than the main book to me. The continuous rebellious curiosity and questioning of Diana gives a nice throughline to her being the one to leave, and it is just, as the kids say, wholesome.

The Mark Waid story was cute, but the ending rang a little hollow despite the good intentions. I feel like the League offering to listen to her problems and help would've been a better beat to end on. (Waid doing a story also seems kind of odd, as I never associate him with Diana, and it feels like a spot that Rucka could've had)

The Amy Reeder Golden Age riff was extremely pretty to look at and basically went all out for smiles and mostly succeeded.

The Vita Ayala story kinda makes me sad Ayala's not doing the main title. It's a very rote beat, but has a fundamental understanding of Wondy and Cheetah that is missing from a lot of creators.

The Steve Orlando one made me chuckle because I had forgotten who was working on the special but the second the lasso was called the 'golden perfect' I knew it was him or Rucka, because they're literally the only two who ever call it that. That was also a nice one gag story in the style of something like the Batman TAS "Almost Got 'im" and plays with Steve's "Hay guyz look at this obscure bit of WW trivia I know" strength well.

Stephanie Phillips' story suffered a little from feeling like it was maybe originally a Cheetah story but got nixed (and could have been a neat way to bring in a Julia Kapatelis cameo) but used the gods in a very similar way to some of the best WW stories.

And the GWW one was very on the nose, but gently caress it, sometimes that's what's needed.

tl;dr: Book was pretty good, not sure was worth :10bux:, read on DCUI if you have it.

KissOfTheSpiderMan
Oct 10, 2012

Now that Jon's bi, they can have him go on a bad date with a kryptonian and afterwards say "I don't like Lab-El" :v:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Superman and the Authority ended with a To Be Continued... where is that getting picked up?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FoneBone posted:

Superman and the Authority ended with a To Be Continued... where is that getting picked up?

Action Comics

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It even says it in the issue, I think.

But the whole thing was basically a set-up for Superman in Warworld, but this time with a team so he's not just flat out enslaved. Issue 4 felt like three issues worth of content all at once. One issue is Superman in Kandor dealing with Ultra-Humanite and revealing his plot. One issue is the introduction of The Flash "Lightray" and I guess the new Earth-9 OMAC. One issue is the fight against the other Authority and getting things set for the mission to Warworld. That would've made it a 6 issue mini which seems a more standard length, but I guess editorial told Morrison 4 and he just did his thing for the first three before remembering it was 4 issues, not 6 and heavily compressed everything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This Superman and the Authority thing is so loving weird! Like it started off clearly, openly an Elseworlds story -- it starts in 1963! Superman is talking with John loving Kennedy! -- but now it's supposed to lead straight into the next main universe Superman arc, Lois is suddenly here looking completely her current age, except Superman still looks old what with his greying temples and Kingdom Come logo.......what is happening here???? I haven't been this confused about continuity since...I can't even remember!

Gaz-L posted:

The lead story by the current team was pretty nice but feels like it could've been running as a subplot in the main book instead of trying to cram all the context in here in a special not everyone reading the main book will be reading. (Also the newest issue was a mixed bag also: With some very tin-eared dialogue and choices - the gently caress was that US Marines 'oo-rah' with the Bana? - but some nice beats like reimagining the Holiday Girls as a biker gang that presumably Etta ran with before joining the military)
I generally lean on the positive side towards Conrad and Cloonan and might in fact place their run higher than G. Willow Wilson's, which makes it weird that they still haven't quite "proven" themselves to me yet. For all that there's often a lot to like about their issues, I still feel -- even now, eight issues in -- a bit leery of their output. Probably because it's all been quirky otherworld adventures up until now and we haven't seen them really explore WW's actual world, so hopefully that will change soon. Conrad and Cloonan seem like they're in this for the long haul.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It seems pretty clear that they had to retool Superman and the Authority from when they changed the 5G plans to make it into continuity. Except it doesn't really work.

It was funny to have it be like Superman was just pretending to be losing his powers. The grey will be gone too, because he doesn't have it in Justice League.

DC still can't make their continuity work no matter what they do.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What we know of the 5G plans is so vastly different from what happened that it doesn't feel like a retooling so much as just throwing it all out and doing whatever so I'm not sure we can say "5G!" every time a story is weird or out of place of confusing. It might just be confusing.

e: also it's been like a year we're far past the point where they would have known it wasn't happening unless this comic was written and drawn way way waaaay in advance

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

In the same issue where Superman is with JFK there's narration that implies Clark met him during an adventure where he was lost in time. He also managed to gather Arthur's Round Table during said time travel adventure I think was the implication.
I think basically the 5G aspect was hastily retooled with a quick narration to patch that up. TBH they probably should've just changed it to Superman meeting a generic US president that wasn't time period specific instead.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

In the same issue where Superman is with JFK there's narration that implies Clark met him during an adventure where he was lost in time. He also managed to gather Arthur's Round Table during said time travel adventure I think was the implication.
I think basically the 5G aspect was hastily retooled with a quick narration to patch that up. TBH they probably should've just changed it to Superman meeting a generic US president that wasn't time period specific instead.

I've got just the guy for the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSS_IzRzdnU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

I'm not talking about the Warworld stuff, I'm talking about the last couple pages.