Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Terper posted:

Regarding the ending, since the Thoho DNA in the Quiet Robe X managed to remove/control the Metroid in her, that means Samus's body also contains the genetic material of all of the different creatures that the X have transformed into, that she then absorbed.

Samus is a genetic freak.

You see Ridley, you got a 25 percent at best at beat me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Terper posted:

Regarding the ending, since the Thoho DNA in the Quiet Robe X managed to remove/control the Metroid in her, that means Samus's body also contains the genetic material of all of the different creatures that the X have transformed into, that she then absorbed.

Samus is a genetic freak.

that's hot

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You have a 33 1/3 chance of winning.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't believe they made a metroid game that has kraid and not ridley

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

Ridley has changed ever since getting into Smash saying he's just "too big" for Metroid.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

ridley’s a conniving sadist that’s way too resilient for his own good, raven beak probably came to his name on his clone batch list and went “nah I’m all set”

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

Oh son of a bitch that's how you do that??

There's another way to do it that's similar
In the shuttle room start dashing, when you get to the next door you can do a wall jump up to the ledge, slide, go to the little side room and store your charge, then go back bomb and spark up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

God drat the speed booster puzzles in this game are fun.

https://i.imgur.com/Kwt9QDZ.mp4

Dang, it's kind of wild to me that for a bunch of these speed booster puzzles I totally wracked my brain trying to figure out how to do them, (usually looking them up) only to find out there's multiple ways to do them.

I forgot exactly how i did this one, but it finished with a diagonal spark coming from the right side of the room.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Your Computer posted:

i am almost wondering if the devs made her The Metroid™ just to get back at the players accidentally calling her metroid for 30 years

that said, (ending spoilers within) holy poo poo the ending was everything i could've ever hoped for an i am so here for monster-samus hulking out. i was already gay for samus before this game, but drat

I forgot which game established it but Metroid translates into Ultimate Warrior in Birdese so it makes sense that it's always been referring to Samus even before Fusion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Your Computer posted:

i am almost wondering if the devs made her The Metroid™ just to get back at the players accidentally calling her metroid for 30 years

ending it's a callback to that doom fanfic of "no samus you are the metroids

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Augus posted:

Kraid is cool now, it is canon

Beat the game at about 11 hours, 82%. Took my time and had one moment of getting lost and having to backtrack then some cleanup/exploration before the end of the game. Definitely one teleporter I didn't even find.

Kind of in shock right now how good this game is, wouldn't put it above Super but it's a solid second favorite overall for me and it's by far the most enjoyable in terms of gameplay and bosses.

Gonna daydream about an expansion/dlc for the rest of the afternoon

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I forgot which game established it but Metroid translates into Ultimate Warrior in Birdese so it makes sense that it's always been referring to Samus even before Fusion.

im confused is samus scott steiner or ultimate warrior

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Finished with 44% item completion in just over 6.5 hours IGT, then went back and got the rest of the items in another 2 hours.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Muscle Tracer posted:

hey how'd you record this, anyway, going thru twitter is kinda rear end

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ciaphas posted:

hey how'd you record this, anyway, going thru twitter is kinda rear end

Hold down screenshot button to record last 30 seconds. In the album app, "Share" > "Send to phone."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got Kraid down after about 20mins of tries. That is a good fight once you get the timing down. The stages kind of felt mmoish

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do you think is more annoying, seeing the same enemies that never seem to just be dead and reacquiring the same gear mission after mission or losing to the same person the same way time after time

At least Kraid only gets owned twice before this lol

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Just so I don't waste my time with it, can you use the EMMI Valves to travel and if so, how do you do it?

EDIT:

Further help question:

I have just obtained the Space Jump and I'm really not sure where to go now, where do I go from here?

Fortis posted:

They won't open until you've defeated the resident EMMI.

VVVVVVV Thank you!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 11, 2021

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

SalTheBard posted:

Just so I don't waste my time with it, can you use the EMMI Valves to travel and if so, how do you do it?

They won't open until you've defeated the resident EMMI. (I'm not even sure this is a spoiler at this point but better to play it safe I guess)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SalTheBard posted:

IIRC they open after the EMMI dies but they just lead back to the same areas as normal movement

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Muscle Tracer posted:

Hold down screenshot button to record last 30 seconds. In the album app, "Share" > "Send to phone."

poo poo how'd I not see that, i just went straight to Post To Twitter 'cos I was used to it i guess

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish there were more frames of animation between entering and leaving morph ball form or something. I don't want it to take longer but it looks strange to go from that to immediately doing a kick.

Also some of these fire and particle effects seem extremely choppy lol

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

SalTheBard posted:

I have just obtained the Space Jump and I'm really not sure where to go now, where do I go from here?

As a soft hint Remember that the Space Jump allows you to travel horizontally under-water indefinitely - you can use this to access a new door

More direct The path forward is in Burenia

Real direct Go to Burenia, in the large underwater area at the bottom left of the map. There should be a plasma door showing up on your map, halfway up the water on the left hand side, but isn't exactly connected to the map due to a drop down platform blocking it. Start on the right hand side of the underwater area, and chain spacejumps to the left across the shaft and access the door, after dropping the blocking platform by hanging off it

ROJO fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 11, 2021

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Given all these sequence breaks, I'm wonder if there's some intended alternative route through the game that might have hidden dialog from Adam like in Fusion.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ROJO posted:

As a soft hint Remember that the Space Jump allows you to travel horizontally under-water indefinitely - you can use this to access a new door

More direct The path forward is in Burenia

Real direct Go to Burenia, in the large underwater area at the bottom left of the map. There should be a plasma door showing up on your map, halfway up the water on the left hand side, but isn't exactly connected to the map due to a drop down platform blocking it. Start on the right hand side of the underwater area, and chain spacejumps to the left across the shaft and access the door, after dropping the blocking platform by hanging off it

Thank you for the reminder about it letting me move underwater. That was the gigantic clue I needed. I couldn't figure out how to get to the Green Teleporter

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Muscle Tracer posted:

wait the speed booster state survives walljumps? I hadn't realised that, nice

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Going on my Second Run here, and I'd just like to say Congratulations to MercurySteam for quite possibly making the first underwater sequence in any Metroid game that isn't boring as poo poo.
When I was playing through, I kept thinking "they're really making me do all these underwater areas without Gravity, huh" but I also noticed that there's not really any precision platforming or tricky common enemies involved on the main path in the water.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao, the valve in Artaria. "Why do I hear the escape music oh no. More of that and less of the signposted robots please game that trap owned. Have an EMMI superslam through a wall or something later

e: TBH I like all the one-ways and switch backs. I feel totally lost and like I'm stumbling on things early or wrong and it's totally intentional and I love it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 11, 2021

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Kraid is cool now, it is canon

Beat the game at about 11 hours, 82%. Took my time and had one moment of getting lost and having to backtrack then some cleanup/exploration before the end of the game. Definitely one teleporter I didn't even find.

Kind of in shock right now how good this game is, wouldn't put it above Super but it's a solid second favorite overall for me and it's by far the most enjoyable in terms of gameplay and bosses.

Gonna daydream about an expansion/dlc for the rest of the afternoon

Same here. I wouldn't put it above super. Super's music, enemy design and stage art creates a sense of atmosphere that is matched by only a handful of games.

Dread's combat is excellent, and it fully delivers on Metroid gameplay, but the sound design, background art and music are middling.

My power ranking is
1. Super Metroid
2. Zero Mission
3. Dread
4. Fusion
5. Metroid
6. Metroid 2
7. Samus Returns

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Raylax posted:

wait the speed booster state survives walljumps? I hadn't realised that, nice

Walljumps and slides. Charging it up still requires a straight path.
https://twitter.com/Bruceski1/status/1447613705965867013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I like the zone named Burenia not because of any particular design, but because it was named like a country in the ex soviet block where a really bad genocide happened.

"Did you hear about Burenia? They say the dictator set off sarin gas in the villages, how awful"

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

e: TBH I like all the one-ways and switch backs. I feel totally lost and like I'm stumbling on things early or wrong and it's totally intentional and I love it

I do enjoy this, like the game gives me the very strong feeling that I've just hosed up traversing the proper route and need to find a way back to where I just was so I can do it properly, but it turns out no that's exactly where the game wanted me to go.

It just stresses me out because I can't keep track of where I've been, or wanted to revisit, or anything.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm just gonna come out and say it, but I really wish the game had an optional hint system because I just beat experiment z whatever and have no idea where to go

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
It does have a hint system, usually after you beat a boss you should go to a network terminal

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Calaveron posted:

I'm just gonna come out and say it, but I really wish the game had an optional hint system because I just beat experiment z whatever and have no idea where to go

Remember that you ran past an item on the way to reach the experiment boss because everything was frozen

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

XavierGenisi posted:

Remember that you ran past an item on the way to reach the experiment boss because everything was frozen

I didn't remember but I went back and got the Screw Attack then spoke to bossy pants and now again I dunno where to go. I highlighted any screw attack blocks but there aren't that many and I'm not a big fan of traversing the maps plus loading times between zones only to find like a missile expansion or something like that.
Where to now?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Surprise T Rex posted:

I do enjoy this, like the game gives me the very strong feeling that I've just hosed up traversing the proper route and need to find a way back to where I just was so I can do it properly, but it turns out no that's exactly where the game wanted me to go.

It just stresses me out because I can't keep track of where I've been, or wanted to revisit, or anything.

It's great but on the other hand I have only two energy tanks lol

The game loves to dangle them out of reach

e: Just got to Burenia. As a headsup, EMMI can and will chase you through morph ball points, apparently. It's really annoying having that really cool run from Artoria to Kraid then hitting a 50/50 to lose in the EMMI zone because they all dead end if you go the wrong way and choosing wrong. Despite encouraging you to just blast through and not give a poo poo, they just kill all momentum it feels like.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 11, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure i had like 6-8 at that point, you might just Suck rear end at finding them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Amppelix posted:

I'm pretty sure i had like 6-8 at that point, you might just Suck rear end at finding them

Perhaps lol, but I also keep trying to backtrack and stumbling into the Right Way so who knows :v:

If eight then Kraid definitely kept me on my toes. I spent half the fight at 30 health lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

Perhaps lol, but I also keep trying to backtrack and stumbling into the Right Way so who knows :v:

If eight then Kraid definitely kept me on my toes. I spent half the fight at 30 health lmao

Yep this is what happened to me. Finally got the morph ball, now I can do some exploration. Here is an E-tank, I'll just grab that real quick, and oh, guess exploration time is over. Time to go fight kraid, hope I found enough e-tanks to make him beatable!

(Actually it doesn't matter how many e-tnaks you have, the bosses will do more or less damage based on your Max Energy Pool, like in fusion.)