Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

and the first thing he did when he saw a magical hearing potion was to glug it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This relates to something I’ve been thinking, did Snout have, like, parents? A family? Any friends or regular acquaintances? He obviously learned to read at some point, he had some education, but like from where?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Well you see, Snout is a smart curious boy, so he can Books. If he couldn't Books, then he'd be a jock, and since he's not a jock, he's a nerd, and therefore, he can Books.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think it's that, yeah. Since he doesn't plan out his stories in advance and writes them on the fly, he just forgets that characters shouldn't know certain things, and having them just know it makes it easier for him to write. Like when Dominic gets upset that the cattlebasters are going to replace the Knights of Callan, it's just his way of letting the audience know "These guys are going to be bad, and Dominic is super smart because he already knows they're bad" despite the fact he has no reason to think they're bad at that point.

Yeah, this is entirely it. Mookie isn't mentally ill or atypical neurologically, or whatever. He just stopped applying any planning or advance thinking to his strip after about the first year of Dominic Deegan. He came into the first strip with a story to tell, told that story, and then has been winging it ever since, and in winging it, doesn't actually pay attention to or remember who knows what or where characters come from because it's immaterial to the story he wants to tell, even if it's something that any reader would consider a vital part of the story.

Keep in mind that this is a person who refused to detail out anything about the world any of this took place in because he didn't want it getting in his way later. It's one thing to be vague and open about things to leave yourself room to detail things out, and completely another to provide no detail at all so that when you need your country to turn out and be awful imperialists led by a King who turns out to be democratically elected, you can do all of that with no contradicting previous evidence or it raising obvious questions because there is absolutely no previous evidence about anything at all.

It has been over two years and we literally have no more clue about what the plot is and the point is than we did after the first comic. Mookie asked "what is the legacy of Dominic Deegan?" in that strip, and in the 53 chapters and the 300+ comics in it, he hasn't even hinted as to what the answer is. Or why it matters.

Mookie does not have any stories to tell. But Mookie wants to be a webcomic artist, so he is going to sit down every day and put together a webcomic, regardless of what direction it goes or what mistakes it makes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The problem with Mookie’s writing isn’t that he lacks theory of mind (or that he has a mental illness :rolleyes:), it’s that he’s completely uninterested in the actual craft of fiction writing. He doesn’t want to take time to set anything up or understand how good stories foreshadow and use theming to set up cohesive arcs. In this he is like a lot of terrible self published fiction on Kindle. What makes him unique and fascinating is how long his body of work is, spanning two decades of little to no improvement, and the almost didactic relationship he has with his critics, where he refuses to directly accept criticism, but will go about addressing points critics bring up in ways he believes vindicates him. Just look at the whole tracing debacle from earlier in the legacy. It becomes obvious to us (and I’m sure other forums on the Internet) that Mookie is tracing without attributing. Mookie then goes on to directly rip off nighthawks, saying that it was always his intention to make it obvious that he was tracing, and that he didn’t feel bad about it at all. Same thing with the ink witch’s creepiness, or her lack of a name. He is directly pointing to us the reader and saying “gently caress you, I always intended it to be that way”.

It’s a Postmodern performance art masterpiece in it’s own way. One thinskinned manchild’s obstinate refusal to ever accept that he could possibly be wrong or that his work could be improved upon in any way.

Anyway,

Chapter 23: Oh, Snap

This chapter is all about what a stressful unfair life Dominic leads. Fairly warned be ye

A series of tragedies befall Dominic, by which I mean one of his students experiences a real tragedy, And Dominic deals with a bunch of minor stupid poo poo. Poor little Dominic

Oh look all that was immediately reversed! But it’s important we understand how on edge Dominic is. I also love the fact that thismagical university apparently has contract profs and I guess a budget, for Dominic to be needing to justify his job this way. You’d think the poor enrolment in his class would be a reason to cut him anyway, since without tenure I don’t see why you would keep someone who brings in so little class money and doesn’t appear to be doing any research whatsoever. I know that this is just Mookie not knowing how universities function, and not being interested in thinking it out for his fictional world, but it does create this funny sense that Dominic only got his position because his mother pulled strings, and otherwise the University would see him as dead weight.

Keep sexualizing that university student Mookie. As long as she’s the one doing it, it’s not creepy, right? Also love how Tara used her second sight in specifically the way that you’re not supposed to be able to use it. She didn’t look up the symptoms of Reltin’s disease and then scry on herself in the future and diagnose herself, she just used her second sight to gain the knowledge directly.

Mookie does not know how university students or people work. All of these characters are just parroting the same reasons Mookie thinks his main character is cool. But for them most of the stuff that has happened to Dominic, if they even would know about it, would be irrelevant to his teaching abilities. I’m not saying that having a cool Indiana Jones professor wouldn’t be fun, but just the logic that that list of things would be a reason for students to be lining up for Dominic’s class is dumb.

I bring this up now, because the reason why nobody signed up for Dominic’s classes is going to be spelled out later and it’s infuriating.

And of course Dominic, taking his cue from Luna, manages to turn a positive pep talk from loving students into insecure navelgazing.

At least these are real worries that Dominic is having now, but it is funny that all of a sudden his arcane mastery is failing him and he has no solutions to these problems. It only comes up right now when there’s actually no threat of any of these dangers being realized, purely as a reason for Dominic to be stressed out. When Dominic leaves for his possibly year-long cruise around the world, he is not to give a poo poo about whether the Infernomancer is going to come to filet his “kids”

Luna has one fleeting moment of independent thought, wondering whether or not her life would be better without Dominic’s endless drama, but is quickly subsumed back into her codependency and resumes orbiting around her only reason for living, dear sweet Dominic.

Jayden has taken a vow of silence. I don’t think we have you ever saw her do it on screen, but that’s what’s happening here. Also good attitude to have toward your future parents-in-law.

I love this part so much. It’s insane that Mookie wrote this thinking that it would make Dominic look like anything other than a petulant baby. Luna goes out of her way to find a really thoughtful gift, one that speaks to how well she personally knows Dominic. But, there’s a problem!

The series being rebooted to be more like Mookie’s Hell arcs. But it’s about the HERO!! So that’s BAD! Heroes can only be pure good!

I love that Dominic makes the face at all, as if the last page advertisement ruins the entire gift. He even says that the thought is still nice, as if he’s going to have to throw the book away. And that Luna goes on the (for me) iconic rant about how thoughtless and broken she is for not having reviewed the entirety of the collection for possible sadbrain contaminants before giving it to Dominic.

These two deserve each other.

I don’t have much to say on this. It would be a perfectly fine jokey little aside if the purpose of this chapter was comedic. But...

In another inexplicable Mookie twist, Prento confirms that seers getting stressed out can actually be an enormous danger in certain circumstances.

Nimmel’s brilliant idea is a cruise, btw. Unclear why they don’t just ask Miranda and Donovan to help. It’s like Mookie wants to forget who Dominic’s parents are right now, because it really does undercut everything happening in this arc.

Here’s what I was talking about. The reason why Dominic isn’t going to be able to teach next year is because of his students. Dominic’s own attitude towards teaching, and his predictions of 50%+ attrition have nothing to do with it. If only his students hadn’t been gushing so much about how much they loved professor dream killer, things would have been fine.

Now this is all treated as a joke. But let’s a put a pin in it till the last strip in this chapter.

Dominic is a weak little baby. I sort of like Prento’s manic energy though. At least he’s trying to do something.

Suddenly people’s aversion to seers makes a lot more sense! Mookie introduces this concept, but never bothers to think about what that might imply about his world or how people might feel about seers. It’s this incuriosity about his own creations that I find so fascinating about Mookie. How could you not want to explore what this would imply, if seers are just potential time-bombs waiting to go off? But know it’s really just to set up a joke.

Yes, that’s the straw that breaks the camel’s back, Dominic can’t get his sugar high. This might work is a beat if I like Dominic more but since I hate him all I can do is roll my eyes.

Obviously the intention here is comedic, but it’s so hard to tell with Mookie because I could also equally believe that Dominic was actually about to flip out and kill everyone around him. Except of course for the fact that Mookie would never allow his hero to do that. But If it was any other character, I could absolutely see sudden tone breaking gore appearing

The thing is, that I realize that if Dominic was more sympathetic I would be against this nervous breakdown plot development. But Dominic comes off as so privileged compared to the average person in this medieval world that all of this “hardship” is basically meaningless. Wasn’t he supposed to be doing community service as a seer to the town anyway? Can’t you just go back to doing that? It’s not like they’ve mentioned money problems in a way, and they get magical elementals to build their house for them, so why does Dominic even need a job.

Also Dominic hadn’t smoked since the into the woods arc, so it’s hilarious to see him bring it up now as a loss.

Maybe if he needs help he should be taking a leave of absence instead of having a nervous breakdown in public. Once again, we’re being asked to see the concerns of parents and townspeople as bigoted and backwards, when presented in a different light they could seem very legitimate. Even for just his own sake he shouldn’t be teaching right now.

Also, it’s extremely inappropriate to have one of your students sell pictures of herself to fund a cruise for you Mookie. I think I hate Tara as a character more than Luna. Mookie obviously intends for her to be sex-positive and “liberated”, but it’s entirely for the titillation of Dominic and the consumption of the male gaze. I me here she’s literally commodifying her body for Dominic.

See? Prento is definitely more fun seer to be following. Naïve overconfidence beats miserable insecurity any day.

I’m just to point out that, again, Dominic’s mom should probably be where some of this money is coming from. The fact that the students are using their own work income to pay for a cruise for their professor is just bananas. It’s just so wrong on so many levels that I’m glad no one else has to be taught by Dominic. He’s obviously brainwashing them

Okay, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t find the arcane happy faces pretty great.

I know it doesn’t really matter, because this comic works on cartoon logic. But I hate the fact that Dominic can be flung through walls and suffered no ill effects, when other arks have very real consequences to magic-induced injury.

Even here, Dominic has to be smug and superior to his students..

Prento keeps on being awesome. It’s just so refreshing to have a character who doesn’t immediately to send into mopey depression when things don’t go their way.

His students got him a graduation present. And again, he has rich parents. It’s never actually going to be revisited how he’s going to pay for the wedding anyway.

Next chapter, it’s time for some horrible world building, including the legacy relevant introduction of the wild edge! At least he you all reading this for the first time won’t experience it with the same excruciating slowness that the original comic readers did

If your relationship is hanging on whether or not you get a cruise together that I don’t think it’s in a very healthy place. Especially considering the fact that apparently money woes will be waiting for you when you get back.

(they won’t though)

And here’s the kicker, it turns out that Dominic very well put up unleashed the madness realms onto Barthis, If Tara had not sold her body to pay for the cruise. I know that Mookie intends this is a jokey stinger, but again it really does raise the question of whether or not people’s antipathy toward seers is entirely rational, given the apparent serious danger they represent under even relatively mild stress conditions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty firmly in the "many things are not disabilities, but made so by society, accessibility, government, etc" camp myself. It's more that nothing about the characters ever interacts with or is affected by the world. Snout will never give a monologue about why he chose not to drink a magical hearing potion, because Mookie has never thought about deafness outside of a hook (to promptly drop) for the comic and a sympathy detail for Snout.

He literally tried to drink a magic hearing potion, it just turned out to be earwax remover.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Beelzebufo posted:

These two deserve each other.

This cat thing is loving hideous, absolutely an abomination before god. In some panels it seems almost cat sized, but in the last two its head is like the same size as the man's as if its growing to human proportions

Beelzebufo posted:

(they won’t though)

Long torso, as is his style, but genuinely probably the most normal looking crotch/leg situation I've ever seen mookie draw. Also the design of the pants just made me realize, is he wearing like normal jeans? In this fantasy world?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
it's so annoying to me that dominic is just a guy who can see into the future, but is also basically a final fantasy black mage and has the skill and knowledge to use an infinite amount of offensive spells.

seers also seem to be capable of as much chaotic destruction as blood magic is in dragon age, but without even the excuse of demonic possession. it's just mookie being like "don't push a nice guy too far!!"

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Yeah I get where something like seeing would maybe lend itself to effecting emotions and things of people around you because its kind of like a psychic thing, but I dont get how/why they should have any effect on the physical world other than Mookie's desire to make his self insert OP as hell

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Mors Rattus posted:

He literally tried to drink a magic hearing potion, it just turned out to be earwax remover.

Holy poo poo I completely forgot, lmao this comic is like Riverdale I love it

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Mookie's version of Chekhov's Gun is that the gun isn't mentioned at all for the entire story, until a character says "I'm going to shoot you with this gun I always have hanging on my wall!" and then immediately shoots it, and the rest of the story that character shows up every so often and just says "Hey Lois remember when I shot that guy with the gun on my wall?"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
For some reason I thought Dominic revealed mindbreak is real to everyone at the end of this arc, validating Prento being a bad friend and singular minded dork, but he doesn't tell anyone and the subplot with Steffani just ends like that. I actually...kind of like it? She's not portrayed as an unreasonable, hysterical woman for calling him out and the narrative doesn't go out of its way to rub it in her face that Prento was right. Hell, Prento doesn't even get to know he's right. There's this very un-Mookie story nestled into what's a very Mookie story.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot, lmao this comic is like Riverdale I love it

Hey now, Riverdale is good...even if it's in an incredibly weird and bonkers sort of way (although I've only watched the first season and heard it gets even weirder)

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

quite possibly my least favorite dominic face. it just disgusts me deep down.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
As somebody who didn't read the original comic when it was running, I think this is the first storyline that seems totally irredeemable. There's been plenty wrong with previous stories, but you could see a core that could have been done better. In contrast this whole story is just everyone talking about how amazing and perfect the Mary Sue is and scrambling to placate him lest his infinite powers become just a little too infinite.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Mavple

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
i love kanada sitting with her back arched and her butt stuck out, a very natural way to sit

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man I can see the bones of this plot arc- "Dominic is stressed, it's bad when seers get stressed because there's this thing called Mindbreak, so he has to take a vacation that'll lead into the next arc where he explores the map." But it's not the actual stress/trauma of whatever happened last arc, it's a bunch of other stuff, none of which is interesting (and yeah since Dominic is a horrible professor everything involving that elicits no sympathy whatsoever.) And it's honestly way too drawn out for this plot point. You can just have a few strips of him seeming kinda frazzled, someone else says "Dominic, you need to take a break", and he goes on the trip. Why the fundraising? How the gently caress do we the readers know how much an airship vacation costs? You can just say he has enough money! You're allowed to do that!

And I trust Monday's strip will get a text box explaining it later. That's how a strip with no dialogue works, you write a scene, don't let the audience know what's going on, then later someone explains it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
In a vacuum I probably wouldn't say the idea is terribly problematic in and of itself, but when you consider all of Mookie's other issues around relationships and sexuality - and not to mention the fact that most of Dominic's stressors here are mundane things real world people have to deal with like work stress and relationship issues - it reads really grossly like abusive partner apologetics.

It's not a man's fault he beats his wife. His life is stressing him out and he just snapped. He's blameless. He's got all sorts of stuff to worry about like his job and the stress of planning his wedding and his wife is nagging him about how can an unemployed man provide for his family and all this other bullshit nonsense. It's totally understandable, if unfortunate, that he might explosively lash out.

I mean thinking on it, even in a vacuum and without the other baggage Mookie brings to the table, the mere fact that Dominic's stressors are all so mundane - and especially the job and Luna related ones - and are completely divorced from the legit traumatic events of the prior arcs is kind of what gets me.
It's not the visions of Hell or the grotesque murder of innocents that threatens to cause Dominic to buckle under pressure and become violent and dangerous; it's the stress of everyday life.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Must be a Mookie self-insert, she's incapable of self-reflection.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Personally I prefer hovney, maybe vanivlla or even peavnut. Not covconut though.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

SubG posted:

Must be a Mookie self-insert, she's incapable of self-reflection.

She doesn't have a reflection, because she doesn't have a soul. The plot is now going to be about restoring/creating a soul until the next plot change.

Alternatively, she's a secret vampire.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
the chandak just swapped the lake to the rear facing camera

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Every week of this chapter has just been the chandak doing nonsensical bullshit with no follow up.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheHan posted:

Every week of this chapter has just been the chandak doing nonsensical bullshit with no follow up.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Don't worry if something looks like nonsense, Snout's going to summarise what happened in his diary every 5 or so pages anyway.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Divney's Mavple's Avpengers

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Heliotrope posted:

(although I've only watched the first season and heard it gets even weirder)

Archie is currently a high school teacher, ROTC instructor, unlicensed PTSD therapist, football coach, firefighter, militia member, and a general contractor, and I'm definitely missing some occupations. He fought in WWI, was attacked by a bear, was a super hero, joined a gang, infiltrated a cult (I think 2 actually? There were 2 separate cults operating in one season), hunted a serial killer, went to prison, there are maple coated magic mushrooms, aliens, and the whole town got over a seizure-inducing, waterborne disease and quarantine between two episodes.

Please watch the rest of the seasons.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I haven't watched Riverdale, but if you want to appreciate its insanity without having to watch all of it, check out these videos. Heavy spoilers for all of the show, so only watch if you've already watched it or don't intend to watch it (or don't care about spoilers):

Riverdale: The Show That Went Completely Insane

Riverdale: The Biggest Anomaly in TV History

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I loving hate the stupid condescending look he always draws on his stupid characters whenever they deal with Snout or corpsewife

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Mutant Headcrab posted:

She doesn't have a reflection, because she doesn't have a soul. The plot is now going to be about restoring/creating a soul until the next plot change.

Mookie, being very progressive: What if the Black character has no soul because she's some form of vine automaton or something? The deaf one who named her will be so nice to her she'll get better though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Archie is currently a high school teacher, ROTC instructor, unlicensed PTSD therapist, football coach, firefighter, militia member, and a general contractor, and I'm definitely missing some occupations. He fought in WWI, was attacked by a bear, was a super hero, joined a gang, infiltrated a cult (I think 2 actually? There were 2 separate cults operating in one season), hunted a serial killer, went to prison, there are maple coated magic mushrooms, aliens, and the whole town got over a seizure-inducing, waterborne disease and quarantine between two episodes.

My wife loves this stupid garbage show. Which means I've seen way more than I care to admit and can confirm most of this is real.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dominic is so powerful and nigh all-knowing that the thing that gets me is him being caught off guard by the store not having his... mavple candy. Shouldn't he be well aware of whether or not the store has it in stock?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

catlord posted:

Dominic is so powerful and nigh all-knowing that the thing that gets me is him being caught off guard by the store not having his... mavple candy. Shouldn't he be well aware of whether or not the store has it in stock?

Story idea: guy thinks he's an oracle but he's actually not; instead he's an almost omnipotent being with (unbeknownst only to him) almost limitless, completely indiscriminate destructive powers that are triggered when things don't turn out how he expects. He spends his time making grandiose predictions about epic struggles, wars, and political upheaval that entire nations have to play-act at the cost of thousands of lives, because the alternative is a reality warp that kills everything.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Mookie wishes his schlock was this entertaining

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
"oracle who also has ridiculous destructive power" could make sense if like, in the future he sees magic is wide spread and EVERYONE can throw around insane amounts of poo poo so he's like, stealing black magic secrets from a future post-magic-awakening society

but then he has to try and secure that future so as not to magically paradox himself out of existence

you could even do something cool with the reverse idea, someone who has arcane psychometry and can thus touch a faded tome in a museum and it's like he's reading the original text, gaining knowledge thought lost to time, or touch a wand and have a vision of how it was originally used so he can kind of duplicate the motions without really grasping the fundamentals

or he just gets mad and explodes I guess, gently caress

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
a character snapping under the pressure of everyday life while also being a god of war who faces hell in their off time isn't even awful in itself, as long as you play up the fact that it's irrational or founded in the dichotomy between those two lives

like, I can stand in front of a crowd and deliver a pre-written speech because that's an environment I have control in, I can do something life-threatening of my own volition and shrug it off like it's NBD, but then I get antsy standing in long lines or waiting in traffic because I have real brain problems. That's not even hyperbole, I mean I've literally had panic attacks standing in line at a convenience store but I was entirely calm when I almost broke my neck learning to do pro wrassling. But those are depths and nuances of humanity and the nature of anxiety that would need to be explored, I suspect, to make a character like that make any narrative sense. Especially if they are also a bomb

classic Spider-man was kind of like that sometimes, where he could be a total smart rear end and feel invincible while fighting the Sinister Six but would turn back into an awkward dweeb when he tried to ask a girl out. Not full of rage per se, but anxious and afraid of failure. I've seen that argued as a show, part of the secret identity aspect like Superman pretending he's Clark Kent, but I really click more with the idea that Pete's more confident when he can put on a mask and literally punch all his problems away vs the "real world" where he's Peter Parker, carefully navigating the social construct, and I can definitely see a throughline from that kind of life dynamic to straight up raging against the machine. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as someone whose own real life anger problems are rooted in that everyday anxiety, and how most of my coping mechanisms hinge on a diminishing access to escapism

Or it could all be solved by like, taking a vacation I guess

edit: see also soldiers who get comfortable being soldiers and then can't deal with not being soldiers. There's like a dozen angles to hit it from, if one were inclined to actually hit it and not just use it as an excuse for anime things

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breetai posted:

Story idea: guy thinks he's an oracle but he's actually not; instead he's an almost omnipotent being with (unbeknownst only to him) almost limitless, completely indiscriminate destructive powers that are triggered when things don't turn out how he expects. He spends his time making grandiose predictions about epic struggles, wars, and political upheaval that entire nations have to play-act at the cost of thousands of lives, because the alternative is a reality warp that kills everything.

That's basically the plot of the light novel / anime Suzumiya Haruhi.