Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I didn't remember but I went back and got the Screw Attack then spoke to bossy pants and now again I dunno where to go. I highlighted any screw attack blocks but there aren't that many and I'm not a big fan of traversing the maps plus loading times between zones only to find like a missile expansion or something like that.
Where to now?
Mild hint: The Screw Attack is near the Red Teleportal which got blocked by fallen debris when you were last through that area, but one side had a destructible segment you probably couldn't hit at the time.
More in-depth hint: The Red Teleportal takes you close to the Orange Teleportal, which leads to an area in Ghavoran that has a room suspended above water that's almost entirely composed of Screw Attack blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
the reaction of metroid veterans after defeating the first few bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ4NzNV7eo8&t=60s

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Calaveron posted:

I didn't remember but I went back and got the Screw Attack then spoke to bossy pants and now again I dunno where to go. I highlighted any screw attack blocks but there aren't that many and I'm not a big fan of traversing the maps plus loading times between zones only to find like a missile expansion or something like that.
Where to now?

don't you remember the screw attack blocks near the greeen teleporter in Ghavoran?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

(Actually it doesn't matter how many e-tnaks you have, the bosses will do more or less damage based on your Max Energy Pool, like in fusion.)

I don't think that is true for this game or for Fusion

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The EMMI are big Bob Seger fans and they've got "Shakedown" blaring on repeat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really hope these last robits can't also zip forward and full heal. gently caress you yellow.

The CU fights being identical so far is also pretty weak

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 11, 2021

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
this spark took me like 20 minutes to get down and then immediately afterwards I saw there was a way easier way to do it right below me lmfao

https://imgur.com/a/FKfyeRo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RBA Starblade posted:

The CU fights being identical so far is also pretty weak

NGL I kind of love that it's like that. Each time you fight it there's one more pea shooter strapped to the wall, while Samus grows exponentially. So you end up four times in where the CU is going "ha ha, now I can do TWENTY points of damage!" whereas a statue of a bird just gave Samus the ability to tie twenty morph ball grenades into a Nerds rope and shove it right into the CU's eyeball. It's a good way to demonstrate how much more powerful you are getting.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i'm definitely a Casual Gamer and absolutely hate when games feel too difficult, so its a major feat that the combat in this game feels fun and fair. same for the exploration, i've gotten stuck 4-5 times and have not needed to look up where to go. i always seem to figure it out right at the moment i'm starting to get pissed off

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The only thing I really have an issue with in terms of exploration is the teleporters. Imo you can have teleporters that double back to older areas or you can have hidden blocks, but you can't have both. If you put a power up off in a corner and then make it so that it can only be reached with a teleporter later then your player is just going to look like a moron for trying to run around and find a way in.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Ok, Escue can kiss my rear end.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

If there is any damage scaling, it either only matters for a very low amount of energy tanks or it doesn't apply to all bosses; checked contact damage and some attacks on the final boss thanks to having two saves there. The damage's the same whether I had 100% of the energy tanks in the game, or half of them.

...I do not know why I went through the effort of doing this.

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 11, 2021

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just beat the E.M.M.I. in Dairon, and acquired the Speed Booster. Where do I head to now? Do I backtrack to Cataris or go poke around in Burenia some more now?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm playing hard mode, and so far it doesn't feel that much tougher...that said, I'm not at any of the tough boss fights yet.

I also did the grapple beam sequence break. That was fun.

I wonder if it's possible to skip any extra EMMIs before you see Silent Robe, and if they also get disabled until you release the X?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Holy gently caress, this last boss. My 40 year old hands can’t handle it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dross posted:

Holy gently caress, this last boss. My 40 year old hands can’t handle it.

Its a toughie. Make sure you get the parries down. Also, big tip for a later phase: Power bomb the big sun thing.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Its a toughie. Make sure you get the parries down. Also, big tip for a later phase: Power bomb the big sun thing.

The timing on the parries seems pretty forgiving actually, it’s the rapid dashes when I don’t get up in the air fast enough and lose half my health that suck. Also the 360 degree machine gun thing in Phase 2 abs the dash you have to slide under

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Where is Kraid on the difficulty spectrum compared to later bosses

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

euphronius posted:

I'd say in the middle, others are "harder" but you'll have more options and movement abilities to deal with them as well

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dross posted:

The timing on the parries seems pretty forgiving actually, it’s the rapid dashes when I don’t get up in the air fast enough and lose half my health that suck. Also the 360 degree machine gun thing in Phase 2 abs the dash you have to slide under

Note that the red dashes/gut punch can also be countered, pushing him into Phase 2 very quickly.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Edit: ^^ He's referencing phase 2 and the dash isn't counterable there.

Dross posted:

For the 360 machine gun it's actually pretty forgiving. You can space jump over his head and he'll always be just behind you. Or you can use the flash dash, turn around and get a few storm missile locks too. Protip: You can continue to fire storm missiles while in screw attack mode if you already started firing. No need to wait.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Terper posted:

Note that the red dashes/gut punch can also be countered, pushing him into Phase 2 very quickly.

Well that goes completely opposite everything the game taught me in previous, similar fights. Cool

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

euphronius posted:

Smack dab in the middle probably.

I'd probably rank the bosses

Final Boss
Experiment Z-57
Escue
Kraid
Chozo Soldiers/robots
Drogyga
Golzuna
Corpius

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

What is Kraid doing here, anyway? Is there a whole species of Kraids?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good thanks for the info

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like the quick dash could be used to break the game on your knee in some way and yet I haven't found anywhere of real value to do that. I keep trying to dodge attacks and failing with it too, it's not actually a teleport despite the appearance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dross posted:

Endgame spoilers

Probably deliberately cloned/recreated like Ridley is every other game specifically to test Samus. The game is about Raven Beak trying to force her through battles to get her to awaken the Metroid DNA. Its never explicitly said or commented on though

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
What I assume is final boss is a pita.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dross posted:

According to the post-game unlockable things he's a clone of some kind.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Let's Play Metroid Dread

Throwing myself into this blind, so if your copy hasn't arrived you can hopefully live vicariously through my incompetence.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

100% items in just under 13 hours. I'm not someone who buys new full price games very often, especially not relatively short ones. But this was a lot of fun.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Final Boss Phase 1 Question: when he glows gold/yellow, You just have to dodge until you can parry/counter because he is immune to everything right?

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Calidus posted:

Final Boss Phase 1 Question: when he glows gold/yellow, You just have to dodge until you can parry/counter because he is immune to everything right?
Yes.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Supposedly shooting makes him more and more likely to do the counterable moves but I haven't seen concrete evidence so it might be confirmation bias.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
What’s the deal with Kraid? Wikipedia says that he’s originally a member of the Space Pirate High Command. So how does that whole thing work? He doesn’t seem like much of an idea guy.

I’m a very casual gamer. I haven’t had this much fun with a game in years. Boss battles so far have been a lot of fun. Always die right away, then gradually figure out what’s going on. It’s taken me at least 10 tries on each boss, but it’s never been frustrating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mweber posted:

What’s the deal with Kraid? Wikipedia says that he’s originally a member of the Space Pirate High Command. So how does that whole thing work? He doesn’t seem like much of an idea guy.

the space pirates allegedly have personalities but they're not in the mood to show them off whenever samus runs into them, and most of what we do get come from the datalogs in metroid prime. ridley is noted to be highly intelligent and a bloodthirsty lunatic besides, but iirc he doesn't even speak outside of old tie-in comics (where he brags to samus about eating her family). the space pirates keep fixing him up and sending him back into the field because he's always raring to go a-killin' again no matter how many times samus explodes him

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's in high command because he's one of the smartest ones

Keep in mind their "science team"

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
So don’t count on the Space Pirates to be great at jumping jacks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
honestly kraid couldn't be anywhere else but high command. guy's made for a desk job. the pirates literally have to build his office around him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dross posted:

Well that goes completely opposite everything the game taught me in previous, similar fights. Cool
how so? because it's red? i mean sure the robot chozo soldiers have that attack where the red shockwave has no counter window and the blue does but i don't think the game otherwise associates red with being uncounterable

and the actual tell is always, every time, the same flash and distinctive sound anyway