Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Eldred posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the Razer Blade 15 Advanced? I'm debating it against the ASUS ROG Zephyrus 15, the cost difference is a bit ridiculous for similar components but the build quality looks to be better on the Razer. There seem to be stock issues with the Zephyrus 15 too if I'm not mistaken, though maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

This was the Zephyrus config I was looking at: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

Vs the Razer model, which is $750 more expensive: https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/Razer-Blade-15/RZ09-0409BEA3-R3U1.

I don't have a strict budget here but the idea of paying an extra $750 for pretty similar components stings a bit. I'm leaning towards waiting for the Zephyrus to come back in stock, just wanted to get a second opinion. If anyone has ideas on similar laptops too I'm all ears.

Thanks!

What's the cost difference between the razor and the other one with the beefiest accidental warranty you can get? That's what I would be asking myself probably in the scenario if applicable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That Razor is horridly overpriced. Razors are good laptops but I am not sure they are that much better if at all compared to the G15. Both have apprx the same TDP in the 3070 (G15 might actually be 10w higher) so performance should be the same. Asus Build Quality is really quite good.

Worf posted:

What's the cost difference between the razor and the other one with the beefiest accidental warranty you can get? That's what I would be asking myself probably in the scenario if applicable

100% agree.

PopZeus posted:

Friend's looking for a new basic laptop, so thought I'd check here for recommendations.

-budget is under $1000 (but also curious if there's a particular benchmark you should pay to avoid crap -- is the $600 in the OP still accurate?)
-mainly looking to browse and stream netflix, twitch, etc, sometimes play (non-intensive) indie games on steam
-doesn't want chromebook

So what's a good dependable laptop these days?

All depends on what kinda gaming. You can do one of the cheaper Thinkpad's if you want a bad gaming machine but a great one for everything else. Or you can do a Lenovo Flex 2-in-1 with an AMD for something that will do lighter gaming well and be tablet-like.

If you want the best gaming something like:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...p?skuId=6464212

(which is a 17", which I personally really don't like, but this is a real good price)

or something like

https://www.newegg.com/p/34-233-450?sdtid=15213040&item=34-233-450

Which doesn't strike me as an amazing price but seems real solid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SnatchRabbit posted:

How about something like this?

HP 14in High Performance Laptop (AMD Ryzen 3 3200U 2.6GHz up to 3.5GHz, AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD, WiFi, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 10(Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084YXBMR9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_X7D7GFJAC5GNB114N76X

Or

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lockback posted:

No on the HP, the 4gb of ram kills it. Unless you can add more but at that price the it's likely soldered. That IdeaPad isn't bad for that price. Personally I'd try for a used laptop with a 1050 but if you really want new under $400 that's probably a decent deal.

Wait poo poo, that's a 3250, that's going to be pretty crappy for Roblox/Minecraft since it just has a Vega3, which isn't really any better than an Intel UHD. You need something with a Ryzen 5, like a 3500 or 4500. I don't think that's a very good choice, a decent tablet is probably better.

Edit: I think these are pretty lovely but everything at this pricepoint is kinda lovely but these specs are good for new. Again, I'd rather get used at this pricepoint in the current laptop market.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EVOO-14-...-Home/419496306

Lockback fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 11, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dell advertising a $2500 XPS with a 2060 on the same page as it's mentioning windows 11 is exactly why I would rather do almost anything than buy a laptop right now.

What's the most powerful 14 inch laptop as far as dgpu / Intel CPU (tbolt basically a requirement), I want it to look corporate and preferably even be from a corporate line (hoping parts will be available longer )

I think the MX/2gb mini dgpu series is probably good enough for what I want but I would consider a line with a beefier 1650/whatever model

Price I probably do not care about if it hits the right requirement, it's for work anyway

Would be nice: sim slot/LTE modem, would consider going to 15 inches if this covered all the bases

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Worf posted:

Dell advertising a $2500 XPS with a 2060 on the same page as it's mentioning windows 11 is exactly why I would rather do almost anything than buy a laptop right now.

What's the most powerful 14 inch laptop as far as dgpu / Intel CPU (tbolt basically a requirement), I want it to look corporate and preferably even be from a corporate line (hoping parts will be available longer )

I think the MX/2gb mini dgpu series is probably good enough for what I want but I would consider a line with a beefier 1650/whatever model

Price I probably do not care about if it hits the right requirement, it's for work anyway

Would be nice: sim slot/LTE modem, would consider going to 15 inches if this covered all the bases

I think you need to go to 15" if you want a discrete. I'd look at the Thinkpad T15 line. I think those are a bit thicker but they're nice. The X1 Extreme Gen 4 is a loving baller laptop but it's 16". That said it's slim and thin so it might be more like 15" in form factor. But yeah, not a 14".

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Worf posted:

The Surface Laptop Studio might fit your bill, it's 14" foldable with 3050ti + 11370H (which is basically a 35w 1185G7)

No cellular option though

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

It looks like student discounts are now kicking in.

Time to put my money where my mouth is. The question is whether to go with the $1900 model or the $2430 model. I would go for the $1900 model if the RAM could be upgraded but on the other hand 16GB is definitely sufficient for gaming without background streaming which I'll likely never do. And if I ever needed to do something with more than 16GB, I should be using a desktop.

I know it's not a great value for a gaming laptop but I roughly paid $1825 for my Alienware 13 R3 with 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, and the OLED screen back in 2016.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Edward IV posted:

It looks like student discounts are now kicking in.

Time to put my money where my mouth is. The question is whether to go with the $1900 model or the $2430 model. I would go for the $1900 model if the RAM could be upgraded but on the other hand 16GB is definitely sufficient for gaming without background streaming which I'll likely never do. And if I ever needed to do something with more than 16GB, I should be using a desktop.

I know it's not a great value for a gaming laptop but I roughly paid $1825 for my Alienware 13 R3 with 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, and the OLED screen back in 2016.

The 3050ti only has 4GB of VRAM and will probably bottleneck you well before 16GB of Ram will. Value for the laptop only matters to you, I can't point you at another laptop that's like the surface, so if that's what you want this is probably as good of a time to buy as you'll see.

That said, I don't see how they justify an extra $500 for 500GB of disk and an extra 16GB of RAM, so I'd probably spend that money on a accidental damage warranty instead.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have been gamin' on an acer predator helios 300 from 2017 that I have absolutely loved. Everything about it just worked for me. The cpu fan finally died so I am gonna fix that and give it to my wife. I picked up the newer model with the following stuff:

Predator Helios 300 (Intel®)

Model Name: PH315-53-71HN

Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-10750H processor Hexa-core 2.60 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 with 6 GB dedicated memory
Screen:15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS 144 Hz
Memory: 16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
Storage: 512 GB SSD

I am excited for games to run better. I don't play too much new stuff or graphically demanding games. I got it on Amazon for $1200 compared to getting the old one for like $1000 in 2017. It seems like it will be a good upgrade. 144hz monitor is a big upgrade for me too.

I've wanted to build a desktop again but man... laptops are just easier. :shrug:

I might throw in more ram if it is easily accessible. I am also excited because the ssd is supposed to be nvme. Anyway I am getting a new 'puter and I am happy is all. :)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I had that same Helios probably, with the gtx1060. It was honestly an absolute stud for the price in every way tbh.

Monitor wasn't too great on it but that was kind of whatever.

Definitely fonder memories of it than the XPS 15 that replaced it, at probably 2.5x the cost

E: also it lasted longer lol. I sold the Helios for 700 after grabbing it for 1k an owning it almost 3 years, it was in basically perfect condition. I'd even left the factory plastic wrap stuff on the back of the monitor lol. I'm still really proud of the message I got from the ebay person that bought it from me. They couldn't believe how "like new" it was.

Tbh it probably didn't have many hours on it and I babied the crap out of it as I do with all my things

Worf fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 11, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it possible or realistic to use a Surface Book Studio with a eGPU Thunderbolt Enclosure? I'm back to traveling for work and while I know it would be overkill would it work?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It works with the Pro 8, so it should work with the studio.

https://youtu.be/QSVhLrudHWc

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is it possible or realistic to use a Surface Book Studio with a eGPU Thunderbolt Enclosure? I'm back to traveling for work and while I know it would be overkill would it work?

This video suggests that you'll want at least a RTX 3060 Ti to get a more significant boost compared to the internal GPU since the regular RTX 3060 they tested only nets a 10% improvement in average FPS when testing with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdFRxglCD0k

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

BurritoJustice posted:

The Surface Laptop Studio might fit your bill, it's 14" foldable with 3050ti + 11370H (which is basically a 35w 1185G7)

No cellular option though

Thank you for this recommendation, I've been looking for an excuse to check out that line. I took a look at some of the options and they are actually pretty attractive.

I can't say I quite fully understand the form factor on that model but whatever it seems clever enough

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edward IV posted:

This video suggests that you'll want at least a RTX 3060 Ti to get a more significant boost compared to the internal GPU since the regular RTX 3060 they tested only nets a 10% improvement in average FPS when testing with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdFRxglCD0k

These results seem to indicate that performance is being heavily bottlenecked by the CPU, and buying a beefier eGPU will be a very inefficient way to go about things. The desktop 3060 is a significantly more powerful GPU than the 3050 Ti, and it is capable of averaging well over 100fps on the highest preset in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I feel like getting a beefier eGPU for a surface laptop will see gains greatly diminished from the GPU's actual potential.

edit: Also this Jarrod's Tech video shows the 3050 Ti averaging 87 FPS on the High preset (and even the mobile 3060 getting over 100), for a comparison to another laptop. So it's safe to assume they're using a lower power profile, but that is almost a 33% downgrade. The surface laptop studio clearly has other issues when it comes to gaming, and I don't know how helpful an eGPU will really be. This just ain't what the laptop is meant for, clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2FkgeTZpzY&t=377s

(timestamp 6:15)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 12, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Speaking of decent deals, Best Buy and Amazon has the M1 Macbook Air for $850. This is my go-to recommendation if your not concerned about gaming.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
The Zenbook my wife’s been using for school and work (teaching) has fallen apart, literally. Screen hinge broke for the second time and I don’t feel like ordering yet another screen replacement from China just so it can keep disintegrating.

We need something 600-900 dollar range. Ideally 14inch screen or bigger. Lighter weight the better because she’s hauling fifty pounds of gear around most days. 16gb ram would be ideal only because the previous one with 8 would crash on her every now and then with 50+ tabs open reading / writing / annotating.

Which of the Lenovos are good which are bad? Is it still the case some are plastic garbage and some will be useful in 6+ years? Is there anything else we should avoid? Appreciate the help

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Frankenfinger posted:

The Zenbook my wife’s been using for school and work (teaching) has fallen apart, literally. Screen hinge broke for the second time and I don’t feel like ordering yet another screen replacement from China just so it can keep disintegrating.

We need something 600-900 dollar range. Ideally 14inch screen or bigger. Lighter weight the better because she’s hauling fifty pounds of gear around most days. 16gb ram would be ideal only because the previous one with 8 would crash on her every now and then with 50+ tabs open reading / writing / annotating.

Which of the Lenovos are good which are bad? Is it still the case some are plastic garbage and some will be useful in 6+ years? Is there anything else we should avoid? Appreciate the help

Right above you, the best pick is a Macbook Air for $850. IN terms of quality, weight, speed, a most important battery life its by itself at the price point.

Otherwise I'd say look at the 2-in-1s. The Lenovo Flex 5 is on the lower end of your budget but is pretty nice. Pretty light, plasticy and cheap feeling but can take a reasonable beating. The HP X360 is also pretty good, feels and looks a little nice. It's a bit more expensive but I'd also say it's a good fit for you budget.

You can also do a Thinkbook or Thinkpad E for about $1000.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The hp line and mac book air recommendation are good ones at that price point imo. When I replace my small laptop eventually, if that iteration of MacBook air is as good as this one, it may be really silly to not buy it.

I say this as somebody that's never owned an apple computer, but I have had a phone and few iPads. For that small a device I think id be just fine on max os.

I already don't run windows on my XPS 13 so whatever.

I had an hp of similar specs as the one recommended here, as a work computer. It was pretty clever tbh. Loud fans on mine, even compared to my loud XPS 13

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I need to a new PC laptop mostly for browsing, watching shows and occasionally working. I was looking at a Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14ALC05 (AMD Ryzen 7 5700U/8GB/512GB SSD/14") at €720 and it seems like a decent choice, is there anything I should know or any better options around that price range?

I see people complain about the screen but I won't be using it outdoors so unless the colors are really a mess I think I'll be fine with it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

Speaking of decent deals, Best Buy and Amazon has the M1 Macbook Air for $850. This is my go-to recommendation if your not concerned about gaming.

This is similar in pricing to apples edu discount, FYI. Not everyone has an .edu email, but a lot of people know someone with one

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The more I read about that computer the more I seriously want to own one.

What's a good website that would break down all of the specs on that MacBook Air in a way that I might understand it?

Obviously I post in this thread a lot so I get a lot of the baseline concepts, I have no idea how to analyze that m1 chip to see if it's good for what I need?

The more I read about it the more it just seems like the only logical choice if you don't care about Windows

I'm trying to think about what I even miss going from Windows 10 to Linux on my computer that size, And I don't think it's really anything? I can't play age of empires on that computer directly anymore but I could in theory remote in I guess

I even have the Nvidia streaming service founders edition thing so it's $60 a year for their full HD game streaming. So at least I would be able to play like Battletech I'm sure.

As far as literally everything else I'm sure it just works better than anything in its price point

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Worf posted:

As far as literally everything else I'm sure it just works better than anything in its price point

Basically. The drawbacks beyond "not compatible with MacOS" is a few compilers and other things that use real low-level resources have spotty compatibility and performance. This is really niche though, if you're not sure if this applies to you it probably does not.

M1 also doesn't support Bootcamp, but there are other virtualization options that are improving rapidly, but last I heard not quite there yet. This means the M1 is even less suitable for low-resource gaming than even regular macs.

For netflix, browsing, office, random apps? Its king poo poo at that price. Battery legit lasts all day (especially if you don't use Chrome), I'd actually recommend NOT keeping it charged and only charging it when it drops below 45% or so, which might be a couple days use if you're only using it on the couch or whatever.

This is all coming from someone who doesn't like Apple's ecosystem or design choices and has generally felt their devices were over priced and worked far worse than their reputation. Basically they needed to release a laptop that would blow me away to recommend it and sure enough. I don't own one personally as I game on my laptops but I'm trying to get my work to get me one despite it introducing a number of headaches.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well this is annoying as poo poo, the battery health for my not quite 2 year old XPS 13 2:1 just dropped to 48% overnight. Went straight from "Excellent" to "Fair".

Gonna try a full discharge cycle. This is despite having charging limited (using AC Mode) so as to not negatively affect battery health.

Fortunately the battery is a pretty easy replacement on this device which is rare for something so slim and light.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Were you doing the "don't charge above 60%" or whatever option? If so that can present a false positive on the battery health. My Asus every once in a while will say it's total capacity has dropped and then I do a full cycle and it still lasts 10 hours and the health goes back to 95% or whatever.

I think the battery health thing and the limited charge cycles sometimes just don't play well together.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Worf posted:

The more I read about that computer the more I seriously want to own one.

What's a good website that would break down all of the specs on that MacBook Air in a way that I might understand it?

My wife has a MacBook air. It's awesome. I don't super like macs (I use them for with) but it's fast and light and honestly iterm2 is really really good

All the back end programmer tooling works for M1 natively now, that was my big concern, it's been a very smooth transition, not surprising, as apple bet the company on it

My next personal laptop might be a MacBook air

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was using the "Primary AC" mode with the dell power options which is supposed to limit the charge level, but doesn't specifically say to what extent. I'm going go do a few full charge and discharge cycles using standard charging and/or express charging mode to see if it relearns.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

My only issue with the M1 macbooks is that they don't have enough ports. When my 2016 was still alive, I'd be using 3 ports at all times (one for display + mouse + keyboard + ethernet, one for power, and one for an external hard drive).

I'm hoping the 2021/2022 refresh fixes that problem, because then I'll be all over it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All that poo poo stays plugged into my "dock" that lives in a drawer, and then I just run one cable to the laptop for both power and data. Manually plugging in more than one cable is dumb and you should feel bad for still doing that in The Year of Our Lord 2021

If you don't like docks, about 15-20% of modern displays will act as a dock/65w power supply

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Pulled the trigger on an ASUS G14 GA401, the first time I’ve ever really splurged in current gen hardware. Gonna really put it through its paces playing Deux Ex again.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I use my MacBook Air 10 hours a day and I charge twice a week

The future is cool

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

My only issue with the M1 macbooks is that they don't have enough ports. When my 2016 was still alive, I'd be using 3 ports at all times (one for display + mouse + keyboard + ethernet, one for power, and one for an external hard drive).

I'm hoping the 2021/2022 refresh fixes that problem, because then I'll be all over it.

The m1X MacBook pro's (with rumors of 3 usb c, HDMI and SD slot return and MagSafe returning,) are going to be announced on Monday. More expensive (the $2,000 to $3,000 range) but are going to be insanely good at what they do. And they're bumping the 13 inch screen up to 14 inches, and keeping the 16 if the leaks are accurate (and in this case, everyone agrees the sizes and ports are).

Who knows how the performance of the new chips will be till Monday, but all rumors point to, "gently caress that's impressive."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Pulled the trigger on an ASUS G14 GA401, the first time I’ve ever really splurged in current gen hardware. Gonna really put it through its paces playing Deux Ex again.

The one with the 3060? You'll love it.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Lockback posted:

The one with the 3060? You'll love it.

Yep, 3060. Intending to throw a USB C dock on it to replace my desktop which will be relegated to a Plex server, but also to move around the house so I’m not sequestered in the basement.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Hadlock posted:

All that poo poo stays plugged into my "dock" that lives in a drawer, and then I just run one cable to the laptop for both power and data. Manually plugging in more than one cable is dumb and you should feel bad for still doing that in The Year of Our Lord 2021

If you don't like docks, about 15-20% of modern displays will act as a dock/65w power supply

I would prefer a dock, but work won't pay for them and I'm not paying out of pocket for it.

EDIT: any word on whether the new macbooks will come with 512 SSDs and 16GB of ram standard? Cuz paying 2k for a non upgradable laptop with a 256gb SSD is uh. Lol.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 14, 2021

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I would prefer a dock, but work won't pay for them and I'm not paying out of pocket for it.

EDIT: any word on whether the new macbooks will come with 512 SSDs and 16GB of ram standard? Cuz paying 2k for a non upgradable laptop with a 256gb SSD is uh. Lol.

used to be 128 gig and 4 gigs of ram. that is e-waste.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gone through 3 deep discharge cycles on my XPS13 (charging on Standard, rebooting into bios, letting it sit until it shuts off and leaving it sit for a few hours after that.)

I've gone from:
48%
56%
63%
71%

So, even though it's not great thing to deep cycle lion batteries, I guess I'll keep doing this until the capacity stops rising. I would suspect I should be able to get back into the 90% range.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Eldred posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the Razer Blade 15 Advanced? I'm debating it against the ASUS ROG Zephyrus 15, the cost difference is a bit ridiculous for similar components but the build quality looks to be better on the Razer. There seem to be stock issues with the Zephyrus 15 too if I'm not mistaken, though maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

This was the Zephyrus config I was looking at: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

Vs the Razer model, which is $750 more expensive: https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/Razer-Blade-15/RZ09-0409BEA3-R3U1.

I don't have a strict budget here but the idea of paying an extra $750 for pretty similar components stings a bit. I'm leaning towards waiting for the Zephyrus to come back in stock, just wanted to get a second opinion. If anyone has ideas on similar laptops too I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Razer wouldn't sell me a speaker grill sticker (13 in stealth)for my laptop. Yeah gently caress them. I am so sick of companies competing to have the shittiest customer service.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 16, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

I found two promising cheap options locally:

Dell Latitude E5450 - $160, with a i5-5300u, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD and Windows 10 Pro

Lenovo ThinkPad X270 - $260, with a i5-7300U, 8GB RAM, 256GB M2 SSD, and Windows10 Pro

Is the X270 going to be worth the $100 extra, or is build quality pretty comparable?

So I got the Latitude E5450 and it's actually surprisingly fast/usable. The only downside is the screen, which is a 1366 x 768 TN panel and is pretty bad. I read a that the upgrade to a 1080P panel for this laptop is super easy (https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/elxkxz/dell_latitude_e5450_screen_upgrade_from_768p_to/), so I ordered this panel I found on Amazon for cheap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWSTHVM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Unfortunately the panel doesn't turn on when I boot the laptop. I messaged the seller and they told me that the upgrade for this model is impossible, since they're locked from the factory to the 1366 x 768 hardware. Everything else I've read indicates that the swap should be easy, so maybe they sent me the wrong panel? Or I should try ordering something different (like this one: https://www.blisscomputers.net/dell-rn91n-replacement-laptop-lcd-screen-14-0-full-hd-led-diode-0rn91n-lp140wf3-sp-d1-117675/).

The numbers on the back of the panel I ordered are 5D10R65299, which to me looks like a screen for a Thinkpad, but I guess some of this stuff is somewhat interchangeable. If anyone's done a screen swap like this please jump in!

I also fully realize that for the money I spent on the laptop + screen upgrade I could have bought a complete 1080p laptop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

After hours of checking I'm set on Legion 7. It ticks all the boxes: numpad, good build quality, doesn't look like gamer laptop with LEDs off. But it seems like I'm not the only person with that idea, as they are not available anywhere with any kind of configuration in :poland: I wish Asus did a laptop of that kind, M16 is the closest, but I'd snag S17 (the one with keyboard tray that raises) if they were available.