Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
New patch is out on Steam

HDR enabled (DX11 only)
Frame rate issues around Steph Power Moment fixed

That frame rate bug was so odd, if you had post-process effects at Cinematic it would drop the fps to about 20, switch it to Very High and it was fine.

I've been holding back on a full replay because I wanted to check out the HDR, shame that we choose between RT and HDR.

Finally finished my LiS2 playthrough that I started waaaay back in 2018 and it was ok, I had the same criticisms now as I did then. The constant location changes mean you don't get to spend much time with any characters other than The Brothers Diaz, and the game forces decisions on you that are either 1. really dumb or 2. heartbreakingly predictable (the death of Mushroom could have been totally avoided, and going to that Christmas market was unbelievably stupid).

lunar detritus posted:

My theory is that it's locked behind a save because the ending of wavelengths screams that Steph met the love of her life and it'd sink Ryan's chances even lower if people were able to play it first.

Ryan : Want to listen to my new bird call cd?

No / Hella No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I miss “hella”, they should bring it back one day

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

I miss “hella”, they should bring it back one day

Hella is far too Californian for a kid from Oregon to say so much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Hella is far too Californian for a kid from Oregon to say so much.

Chloe managed to pull it off at least (and before TC came out I was sort of hoping it had rubbed off a bit on Steph the same way it did for Max in the first game).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 8, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They should have kept Hella High as the ultimate graphics option.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
And had the task list actually written on Alex's hand.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Wavelengths is kind of better than anything in the actual game lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I just realized, Chloe has technically appeared in every game in the franchise so far.

LiS: Co-protagonist, major driving force of the story

BtS: Main character except for Farewell where she still has a prominent role regardless

LiS2: There’s both a photo and a phone call of/from her in the Bae version along with a sign from her room and a direct mention by David in both timelines (and by Victoria via a letter you can find in the Bae version).

TC: A few voice clips during the second and third segments of Wavelengths, a direct mention by Steph and Mikey in both timelines, and by association in the main game as her skull shirt, Glowy Bear, and Callamastia figure can be found in the record store.

Max and David are tied for second with 3 appearances each (if you count the aforementioned photo and Victoria letter in LiS2 that is), as is Rachel technically.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 11, 2021

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The Chloe hype is such a weird lightning-in-a-bottle appealing character design and great voice acting miracle.

I skimmed the Wavelengths DLC super quick on Youtube. I take it the indie hits from Alt-J, Foals, Portugal, The Man and Agnes Obel songs are just optional background fluff and not key to any emotional scenes? Whole DLC looks like walking in circles around the record store and responding to callers/online dates? I have no idea if that's an unfair assessment though.

So wild to me that LIS 6 years ago introduced me to several of my favourite artists/albums/songs who are re-represented in this DLC.

Although the idea of them using Black Bull over The Runner or fuckin Into The Surf BREAKS MY HEART.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VagueRant posted:

The Chloe hype is such a weird lightning-in-a-bottle appealing character design and great voice acting miracle.

I skimmed the Wavelengths DLC super quick on Youtube. I take it the indie hits from Alt-J, Foals, Portugal, The Man and Agnes Obel songs are just optional background fluff and not key to any emotional scenes? Whole DLC looks like walking in circles around the record store and responding to callers/online dates? I have no idea if that's an unfair assessment though.

So wild to me that LIS 6 years ago introduced me to several of my favourite artists/albums/songs who are re-represented in this DLC.

Although the idea of them using Black Bull over The Runner or fuckin Into The Surf BREAKS MY HEART.

Play Wavelengths, there’s a bit more to it than that (and some really good character development for Steph). It does require that you complete True Colors first in order to access it though (assuming you haven’t already).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

VagueRant posted:

You'll probably like Wavelengths if you enjoy the kind of low-stakes walky sim aspects of Life is Strange. These are some of the things Deck Nine does best, so I enjoyed the experience. The DLC was developed entirely though the pandemic, which limited everyone's ability to interact in person, so the only character you really get to see is Steph and almost all the other cast members come in through voice over. If you simply can't just get enough Arcadia Bay content, the story does a good job at showing Steph's journey after Blackwell, providing more context for her character arc through True Colors. I think it works best if you DON'T save Arcadia Bay, but either variation is fine. The soundtrack is hella lit but it's mostly ambient music that you put on in your DJ job.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm only into episode 2 and I have a lot of opinions about it compared to the previous "series" titles (LiS, BTS, LiS2, Tell Me Why) I will say that the use of the music so far has been exceptional. Way more crunchy hipster soft sung acoustics but it is shaping up to easily exceed the original in use and timing of the songs.

It's so good I keep thinking it over and wondering if they designed the story and set up first, then found the songs, or found the songs and then wrote the story and set pieces around making it match perfectly. It really is some incredible effort in game design.

Or, maybe they just commissioned a bunch of new songs for it, now that I think harder on it. Still, the biggest gripe I had with LiS2 was the lack of an effective soundtrack to carry emotional weight or impact and this is a huge step in the right direction.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

I'm only into episode 2 and I have a lot of opinions about it compared to the previous "series" titles (LiS, BTS, LiS2, Tell Me Why) I will say that the use of the music so far has been exceptional. Way more crunchy hipster soft sung acoustics but it is shaping up to easily exceed the original in use and timing of the songs.

It's so good I keep thinking it over and wondering if they designed the story and set up first, then found the songs, or found the songs and then wrote the story and set pieces around making it match perfectly. It really is some incredible effort in game design.

Or, maybe they just commissioned a bunch of new songs for it, now that I think harder on it. Still, the biggest gripe I had with LiS2 was the lack of an effective soundtrack to carry emotional weight or impact and this is a huge step in the right direction.

Apparently there were a whole bunch of original songs commissioned for TC (unlike LiS2 where the only original music was mostly instrumental tracks):

https://life-is-strange.fandom.com/wiki/Soundtrack_(True_Colors)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Apparently there were a whole bunch of original songs commissioned for TC (unlike LiS2 where the only original music was mostly instrumental tracks):

https://life-is-strange.fandom.com/wiki/Soundtrack_(True_Colors)

given how closely the lyrics match the story and themes that makes a lot of sense.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

given how closely the lyrics match the story and themes that makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, isn’t even the first time they’ve done this either (BtS had a bunch of music written exclusively for the game, I think the same was also true for the original).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat i got everybody on my side except fkn eleanor!! wtf lady i helped you with your brain problems and riley is staying in haven to help you even why are you selling me out like this. i thought ryan was gonna be the tough nut to crack after the discussion in this thread but he was no problem. hosed up i never talked to him again after that and just got on a bus with steph

anyway the game was pretty and well acted but not a standout of the genre in terms of like, the mystery being especially engaging, or scenes/choices being really intense, or the choices having cool consequences down the line. how many ‘decisions’ tracked at the end of each episode dont recur at all, like 75%? one of them is always just ‘did you find the place where you sit down and listen to music,’ and at least two more are like ‘did you get the achievement for solving this sidequest about an unnamed townsperson who doesnt return’? not that the first game set the standard in terms of variability, that probably goes to a quantic dream or supermassive game, but it made up for it with more memorable suspense and the setting

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I wonder how much Covid had an impact on the development, or if limited resource allocation meant that more time on facial animation/capture meant a lot of location/asset reuse. It's been brought up before but even season 1 being set in and around Arcadia Bay had way more variety than True Colors does.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

I wonder how much Covid had an impact on the development, or if limited resource allocation meant that more time on facial animation/capture meant a lot of location/asset reuse. It's been brought up before but even season 1 being set in and around Arcadia Bay had way more variety than True Colors does.

As exquisite tea mentioned above, Wavelengths at least was apparently developed during the time the pandemic was in full swing (hence why Steph is basically the only character we physically see aside from a video call from Mikey in the middle and the ending where we revisit her first meeting with Alex).

Not sure about the main game though but it’s apparently been in development since BtS ended (in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was what Deck Nine originally pitched to Square before they were assigned to work on a LiS prequel and they just decided to bring the Steph character over).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 12, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm surprised people had good things to say about the music in TC. I thought it was really forgettable and poorly used, especially in comparison to BtS.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Angus and Julia Stone don't stand up to Daughter in songwriting ability, but for what it was I feel like it fit well.

The song that seemed most jarring out of all of them was the cover of Blister in the Sun, because it has a very prominent bass line when there was no bassist on stage.

corgski fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 12, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also out of curiosity, why did they need to hire a separate person to do Alex (and Steph at the end of Wavelengths)‘s singing voices? Could their normal VAs not sing that well or something?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the alex singer is like an actual singer i think that was part of their promotional push

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

the alex singer is like an actual singer i think that was part of their promotional push

Apparently Leah Mack (the one who performs Steph’s song at the end of Wavelengths) is also a singer but I can’t seem to find any other information about her. Can anyone help with that?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Larryb posted:

Apparently Leah Mack (the one who performs Steph’s song at the end of Wavelengths) is also a singer but I can’t seem to find any other information about her. Can anyone help with that?

They're like 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRFBRPpP83Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0qN1DYRg0

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, that would explain it. Not too bad though

I am sort of curious if Erika and Katy could have pulled it off though had they left the singing to them.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 12, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Not to poo poo on a 17 year old, but they don't have a particularly strong voice yet. I can't imagine Katy would have had much trouble performing to a similar standard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, how did a 17 year old who’s clearly just starting out manage to get hired to do a song for a Life is Strange game?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Probably a lot cheaper to secure the rights to 8 different tracks from a 17 year old.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Probably a lot cheaper to secure the rights to 8 different tracks from a 17 year old.

Makes sense, though in that case it might have been even cheaper to just have Katy Bentz do it herself (assuming she actually has musical talent that is).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Katy Bentz freely admits that she does not sing. However, Erika Mori did originally record the singing parts for Alex before they brought mxmtoon onto the soundtrack, maybe just out of opportunity since she's popular with the kids right now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Katy Bentz freely admits that she does not sing. However, Erika Mori did originally record the singing parts for Alex before they brought mxmtoon onto the soundtrack, maybe just out of opportunity since she's popular with the kids right now.

Is there any footage/audio out there of Erika doing one of the songs out of curiosity?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think so, Erika said she recorded the parts but they were never used.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently this game was originally supposed to be set in 2020 but due to the pandemic they bumped it back a year. However, it seems they forgot to change a few things in the process:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also apparently this game was originally supposed to be set in 2020 but due to the pandemic they bumped it back a year. However, it seems they forgot to change a few things in the process:

cowards, give us anti-vax ryan drama

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wavelengths is kind of better than anything in the actual game lol

It feels like a work simulator, which is I guess what they were going for. It's got a very tedious and sad vibe and I'm struggling to finish it :/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shammypants posted:

It feels like a work simulator, which is I guess what they were going for. It's got a very tedious and sad vibe and I'm struggling to finish it :/

In my opinion Wavelengths picks up a bit near the end of the second section (where Steph is packing up the pride decorations) and really starts hitting you in the following section that happens during Halloween.

Plus I enjoyed Steph being a lovable dork as well as the brief glimpse into her dark side around the middle. Expand the focus a bit and give her actual people to bounce off of and I personally think she could easily be the star of her own game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it’s too early to tell if it’s Life is Strange related but it seems like Deck Nine’s already got a new project in the pipe:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They've had a second game in production for awhile. Diane's VA was on Katy Bentz's stream talking about how she was doing a role on another Deck Nine project before she was cast in True Colors, and that was probably as far back as 2018 or 2019. Could be an original IP but I think it'll be another LiS.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah you have to as a game dev pretty much, won't want people around doing nothing. Probably had a couple ideas percolating/being pitched over the last year and then have decided on one to go into pre production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d kind of like to see Deck Nine try their hand at an original IP for once but honestly either works. It’ll probably be a while before we actually get any details though.