Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have 2 accounts (no I don't know why) and know some people with three or four because it was easier to set up a new account than remember their login details.

Every year when I need to log onto it to do my taxes need to reset my password due to forgetting it. It usually takes far longer to reset my password, then to lodge my taxes. Yay for not having enough money to have a complicated tax return!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My friend got her rear end spanked by the bar manager at the Carlisle hotel Newtown, immediately after another girl in front of her did. Happy freedom day I guess.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Solemn Sloth posted:

My name in Medicare is different to my name in myGov, like ones an initial and the others my full middle name or something so I can’t link Medicare up to it so I guess I’m never leaving the house again

As a person with two middle names, whose middle names in official areas ranges between 1 middle initial or 2, or first middle name spelled out, or both, or some mix, life is a nightmare.
Getting my passport made me want to unalive, my uni graduation came with a fight with my mother so huge BC I forgot to check that I will never do any more study.
Somehow I managed to get my Medicare linked to my mygov after about 2 week ls, countless hours on hold, and 3 separate office visits with a folder full of my ID related poo poo.
I lost my Medicare card in the process and honestly I'm so done I don't care.

Pretty sure you can get your vax proof through My Health Record, or call up where you got it done and get it in physical form

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Pubs all seemed busy as I shuffled between houses today. Hope people continue to get tested at any sign of symptoms.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

birdstrike posted:

lower mountains shops were 100% masks

Legitimately good to hear!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Looking over the vaccinations stats and a question I have - It's appears to be that once a age group or area goes past 95% first vaccination dose, the totals are no longer updated for that age group / area. Is there a reason for that other than counting further is no longer relavent?

Examples from here -

https://www.smh.com.au/national/covid-19-global-vaccine-tracker-and-data-centre-20210128-p56xht.html

5 age groups are now over 95% first dose, in NSW 23 LGA's are 95% first dose

Edit : Byron Bay now the only LGA in NSW with a below 50% full vacced rate

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Edit : Byron Bay now the only LGA in NSW with a below 50% full vacced rate

2nd does is over 75% which is honestly more then I thought it would be. While not great, as other places around NSW get to 100% hopefully they'll start catching up a bit.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

yoloer420 posted:

The resources companies figured out how to convert coal into hydrogen, so now they're ready to greenwash coal mining and get even richer.
What's the point of coal to hydrogen when solar electricity is cheaper?

Edit - because there's no loving hydrogen in coal, so the only thing they can possibly be talking about is using the coal for energy.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Senor Tron posted:

Vaccine uptake has been quick since the supply issues were sorted, and that has been celebrated, with rates yet to plateau. Yet it's also being said that people who aren't yet vaccinated have had plenty of time and it's their fault for not being vaccinated when % targets are met. But the whole point of a % target is that it will be met when some aren't yet covered.
We all collectively told ScoMo we wanted it to be a race, and a race is what we got. Heaven help those who failed to outcompete the fastest 70% of the population. [Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz]They have nobody to blame but themselves[/Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz]

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

The Artificial Kid posted:

Edit - because there's no loving hydrogen in coal, so the only thing they can possibly be talking about is using the coal for energy.

Coal is a bunch of hydrocarbons, so yeah there's shitloads of hydrogen in it. There are a bunch of hydrocarbon -> hydrogen processes.....

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

norp posted:

Coal is a bunch of hydrocarbons, so yeah there's shitloads of hydrogen in it. There are a bunch of hydrocarbon -> hydrogen processes.....

I stand corrected, apparently coal is about 5% hydrogen. But I don't think that's where the bulk of the hydrogen is coming from in this scheme. Coal that is 95% wasted isn't going to be competitive against anything.

Edit - holy poo poo apparently it is. "For each 160 tons of coal consumed, three tons of hydrogen are produced along with 100 tons of carbon dioxide."

What the gently caress is wrong with these people

Edit again - I've been doing some googling and figuring, and I can't get all the figures worked out because I don't know what percentage of the energy in coal comes from the carbon vs other constitutents, but it sort of looks like the energy content of the hydrogen released is less than half the energy of the coal that gets burnt in the process (based on the CO2 output). If they're going to burn coal just loving burn coal, don't pretend. This makes me so angry.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 11, 2021

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

The process is called coal gasification and it results in the production of hydrogen (and some other pollutants). The links in the post of mine you quoted talk about this and Australia's involvement.

They are indeed using the coal to produce hydrogen without electricity as a middleman.

Edit - holy poo poo apparently it is. "For each 160 tons of coal consumed, three tons of hydrogen are produced along with 100 tons of carbon dioxide."

They call it blue hydrogen. The resources sector win be marketing it heavily as a new clean energy source which will save the planet.

Edit: don't worry though, the CO2 is going to be pumped offshore and stored safely underground. In other news there is an effort to reclassify the great barrier reef to "totally fine" status.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 11, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I stand corrected, apparently coal is about 5% hydrogen. But I don't think that's where the bulk of the hydrogen is coming from in this scheme. Coal that is 95% wasted isn't going to be competitive against anything.

The point is it’s a way to funnel money to liberal/national/Labor party donors who have massive investment sunk into what should be obsolete coal infrastructure.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Why in the name of all things unholy isnt hydrogen being done with solar power to crack water?!?!

The stupidity on display is mind blowing

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Blue hydrogen is the biggest load of green washing bullshit since the oil industry convinced everyone you can solve the plastic problem by recycling

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why in the name of all things unholy isnt hydrogen being done with solar power to crack water?!?!

The stupidity on display is mind blowing

For what it's worth this is the SA Labor strategy they are taking to the next election, that they want to get us to 200-300% renewables and use excess energy to generate hydrogen which can then be stored for use in a hydrogen power plant.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

For what it's worth this is the SA Labor strategy they are taking to the next election, that they want to get us to 200-300% renewables and use excess energy to generate hydrogen which can then be stored for use in a hydrogen power plant.

Or for vehicles! Hydrogen is a great fuel, as long as it's produced in a non-hosed way.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Blue hydrogen is the biggest load of green washing bullshit since the oil industry convinced everyone you can solve the plastic problem by recycling

Every time someone has a go at me for not giving a poo poo about recyclying I can only laugh at them.

Working offshore and carefully segregating waste and then watching all our carefully segregated waste all get dumped into the exact same bin (the stuff that wasn't incinerated aboard, or pulped and dumped into the sea) has made me very cynical about any of these programs.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
So they're saying they consume 160 tonnes of coal, get 3 tonnes of hydrogen and release 100 tonnes of CO2, but what is happening to the rest of the coal? Because 100 tonnes of CO2 = ~27 tonnes of carbon. If the full 160 tonnes is being consumed in some sense that makes it no longer being useful for energy generation then the hydrogen production process is less than 10% efficient (before you even try to burn/fuel cell the hydrogen).

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

So they're saying they consume 160 tonnes of coal, get 3 tonnes of hydrogen and release 100 tonnes of CO2, but what is happening to the rest of the coal? Because 100 tonnes of CO2 = ~27 tonnes of carbon. If the full 160 tonnes is being consumed in some sense that makes it no longer being useful for energy generation then the hydrogen production process is less than 10% efficient (before you even try to burn/fuel cell the hydrogen).

The rest is: carbon monoxide, natural gas, water vapour, coal tar, ammonia, sulphur, and some other crap in lower quantities.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

yoloer420 posted:

The rest is: carbon monoxide, natural gas, water vapour, coal tar, ammonia, sulphur, and some other crap in lower quantities.

I mean coal tar, ammonia, sulphur are all pretty useful. Although large suspicions on what they will be doing with the Carbon monoxide and natural gas.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

yoloer420 posted:

well if we start by pumping the carbon monoxide into the houses of those donors mentioned before they can start getting an immediate return on their investments. Everyone wins yay!
Edit:getting

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yes it's all part of god's plan.

Actual reasoning why Catholics (some) are against IVF.

Not really; Catholic opposition to IVF stems from the fact that a lot of excess embryos are created and are generally destroyed at the end of the process.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Every time someone has a go at me for not giving a poo poo about recyclying I can only laugh at them.

Working offshore and carefully segregating waste and then watching all our carefully segregated waste all get dumped into the exact same bin (the stuff that wasn't incinerated aboard, or pulped and dumped into the sea) has made me very cynical about any of these programs.

I still do it because 10% of it does get recycled and might as well not make that number worse.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hooman posted:

The Chad Recycler vs. the Virgin Cynical Goon

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The main thing I get mad about with recycling and putting out rubbish in general is that it's unpaid labour for businesses that profit from my refuse and it should be illegal for me to have to take my own bins out without being compensated.

JBP fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 11, 2021

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Flushing wet wipes to own society

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Laserface posted:

My friend got her rear end spanked by the bar manager at the Carlisle hotel Newtown, immediately after another girl in front of her did. Happy freedom day I guess.

In Newtown they're generally ok at weeding out the creeps on the books. To bad the creep is often who's owns/runs the place. See also: Better Read than Dead and their unionisation effort.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ColtMcAsskick posted:

In Newtown they're generally ok at weeding out the creeps on the books. To bad the creep is often who's owns/runs the place. See also: Better Read than Dead and their unionisation effort.

She's going to make a complaint today so hopefully it's dealt with swiftly.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
It's starting to look like Victoria may have reached its lockdown peak. What happens in NSW over the next couple of weeks should give some idea of what Victoria can expect when it opens up in a couple of weeks.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What vax percentage was NSW at when they peaked? Timing feels about right

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

What vax percentage was NSW at when they peaked? Timing feels about right

I'm not sure. I seem to recall it was getting towards the targets. We were having regular mass vaccination events.

Holy poo poo. NSW is under 400 cases today.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

didn't NSW stop reporting cases receiving care at home? i thought the case numbers only reflected cases in hospital... or am i cooked

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

alf_pogs posted:

didn't NSW stop reporting cases receiving care at home? i thought the case numbers only reflected cases in hospital... or am i cooked

Nah. NSW reports all new cases daily and it also reports all active cases as well as the hospital numbers. Active cases are under 7,000 now. 766 of those are in hospital.

NSW peaked on 11 September and hit 80% first dose a few days later.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

I still do it because 10% of it does get recycled and might as well not make that number worse.

This is a pretty good attitude to have imo. Given the choices you have as an individual in the system we've got at the moment, it's better to work with the recycling system than not. Ideally that won't be all you do, reducing the waste produced in the first place is a much better outcome whether it's not taking a plastic bag to put two tomatoes in, or planning your meals a bit better so you're throwing out food.

Of course there's only so much you can do at an individual level, so if you've got time/energy to harass politicians to introduce product stewardship and banning lovely wasteful products/materials that's great too.

JBP posted:

The main thing I get mad about with recycling and putting out rubbish in general is that it's unpaid labour for businesses that profit from my refuse and it should be illegal for me to have to take my own bins out without being compensated.

This is less the case now since China stopped accepting low quality waste streams (and similar policies dominoed through S/E asia). For a lot of plastics and kerbside paper collections they subsidise the service fees charged rather than being profitable in and of themselves. Turns out paying for low quality waste streams was built on lovely economics and slave labour :shrug:

Metals are still good value though but make up a pretty small portion of most kerbside bins (depending on how many slabs a week you're buying)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lolie posted:

Nah. NSW reports all new cases daily and it also reports all active cases as well as the hospital numbers. Active cases are under 7,000 now. 766 of those are in hospital.

considering where they were even a month ago, that's really good news. i wasn't optimistic about the coming months but i'm happy to see number reduce a bit.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Not really; Catholic opposition to IVF stems from the fact that a lot of excess embryos are created and are generally destroyed at the end of the process.
This the kind of religious consistency that I feel a certain sly appreciation for.

"No you can't wear a rubber, but you also can't get IVF. Knock your wife up as God intended IMMEDIATELY, if you even can, loser!"

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

alf_pogs posted:

considering where they were even a month ago, that's really good news. i wasn't optimistic about the coming months but i'm happy to see number reduce a bit.

We're due to hit 80% double dose next week. If the weather is nice that will be the real test. People will be interacting much more and under few restrictions.

I really wish they had kept the pressers going in an effort to get another 5% of people vaccinated.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lolie posted:

I really wish they had kept the pressers going in an effort to get another 5% of people vaccinated.

Is vax supply meeting demand yet in NSW? I know where I am at the moment, rural QLD, there's still quite a few people who want to get vaxxed but are still having trouble getting bookings any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

True, but I have had this conversation with religious types and talked about donating unused embryos but any form of ART hit a brick wall of "God has other plans for you". I don't talk to those people anymore and it's a win-win.