Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Got the power bombs so I guess now it's time to go try and collect every item I can.

Getting around in this game feels like a real pain in the rear end, for example getting from Cataris to Burenia requires a lot of dealing with one way paths and it's real lovely that you can't get back to Artaria from Dairon because they made that morph ball tunnel one way. Like I said I don't mind one way paths through the game that help to lead the player but poo poo should be opened up by the end.

I also haven't found the other cyan teleporter yet, maybe it's behind some power bomb blocks, or maybe it's in front of the final boss, I dunno. Guess I'll find out!

One final thought, while I agree with everyone else that the music in this one is pretty average, Artaria and Burenia's music actually do stand out as really good in my mind. I also like that the music is dynamic to an extent and will change slightly if you go into a hot area or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not sure if Kraid was ever established as anything but one of the "mainstays of the Space Pirate army;" given the frequent burrowing entrances in fights beyond the NES original, Kraid could be involved in initial tunneling for Space Pirate bases. Also, given that mainstay status, I imagine a colossal reptile hasn't historically been the worst choice the Space Pirates used for shock and awe tactics when not facing up against Samus.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The final boss of this game is probably the only game where my hands physically hurt after beating it and it's not the final boss itself but the controls.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

Got the power bombs so I guess now it's time to go try and collect every item I can.

Getting around in this game feels like a real pain in the rear end, for example getting from Cataris to Burenia requires a lot of dealing with one way paths and it's real lovely that you can't get back to Artaria from Dairon because they made that morph ball tunnel one way. Like I said I don't mind one way paths through the game that help to lead the player but poo poo should be opened up by the end.

have you tried using a teleporter recently

any teleporter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

any teleporter

i really wish the game signposted this better

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

I've done 3 playthroughs and I'm still not 100% sure the exact moment when it flips

you just stop using them after a point and the game's like haha jokes on you

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

any teleporter

Not recently! I heard that they all become linked up when you find them all, but I assumed cyan has a partner teleporter somewhere that I haven't found.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kraid is in high commend because he's the tallest.

It's like you're not even paying attention.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

any teleporter

Ciaphas posted:

hang on, what are we talking about...?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not recently! I heard that they all become linked up when you find them all, but I assumed cyan has a partner teleporter somewhere that I haven't found.

nope, I still had orange and cyan completely unfound and it happened anyways, it's something plot-beat paced

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i feel like this should just be thread-title advice at this point lmao

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Metroid Dread: ADAM took pity and installed a fast travel mod

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

hang on, what are we talking about...?
At a late point in the game, all the teleportals link up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo

well, I can tell you what triggers it then because I got 100% and was using teleportals all the time without triggering that message, and I just checked and it popped up now.

What triggers it is beating the Elite Chozo in Hanubia. I know this because I didn't beat him until after I got 100% and went straight on to beat the game.

God drat that is mean!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You use one main path right before Screw Attach so my $10 is on it being when you pick up Power Bomb

e: Oh that's even better lmao, what a gently caress-you move

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Holy poo poo

well, I can tell you what triggers it then because I got 100% and was using teleportals all the time without triggering that message, and I just checked and it popped up now.

What triggers it is beating the Elite Chozo in Hanubia. I know this because I didn't beat him until after I got 100% and went straight on to beat the game.

God drat that is mean!

lol oof

well uh, at least now you really know the map well?? :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You use one main path right before Screw Attach so my $10 is on it being when you pick up Power Bomb

Definitely not! See above

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's hilarious because the only reason it turned out that way was I fought him once late at night and was like ugh I'm sick of the chozo soldiers, I'll just go back and get a few items before bed and finish the game up in the morning. Then in the morning I just continued on to 100% before going back to finish it.

whoops!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I just stepped into the yellow teleporter and nope, still only lets me go to the other yellow one. Since getting power bombs doesn't unlock it, I looked at the spoilers. Welp, all the way back to Hanubia for me. So my criticism still stands!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

man i'm glad i'm a "stick to the critical path 'til credits roll" sort :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Our completionist instincts betrayed us....

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm not sure if it's because I'm old and slowing down but I'm not enjoying these EMMI segments. I brute force my way through them but it's definetly a slog.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

man i'm glad i'm a "stick to the critical path 'til credits roll" sort :v:

Regy Rusty posted:

Our completionist instincts betrayed us....

I suspect they expected people to get to the blatant "this is the final area, this is the last save room, the boss is here" point and backtrack from there and not 5 feet before that :v:

agreed that the signposting and what actually triggers it makes no drat sense though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yoko taro had a hand in it, nier games make his love of trolling 100%ers quite clear

I suspect they expected people to get to the blatant "this is the final area, this is the last save room, the boss is here" point and backtrack from there and not 5 feet before that :v:

agreed that the signposting and what actually triggers it makes no drat sense though

they could've made the route to the final boss a teleporter or something to put it right in front of people, it's kinda bizarre that they didn't

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 12, 2021

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Kris xK posted:

I'm not sure if it's because I'm old and slowing down but I'm not enjoying these EMMI segments. I brute force my way through them but it's definetly a slog.

Same, I think it would be better if the game saved the map explored for the EMMI areas when you die so you can at least make progress while dying. It would make it a bit easier to remember what was a dead end or not.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sequence breaking stuff: I'm a little sad early gravity suit seems to still be behind freeing the X / defeating the Ice Missile EMMI.

Kris xK posted:

I found the latter ones to be real unpleasant. It feels like unlike earlier sections, the EMMIs really do not patrol away, and I found it really hard to figure what the segment wanted from me.

and sometimes you just get some really BS moments of the EMMI deciding it will jump onto the ceiling that you are hiding on, for almost no reason.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay, doing what was under the spoiler does not unlock the teleporter network either, I just beat it and went to the orange one in Ghavoran and it's only letting me go to the other orange one.

So what the hell unlocks it?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Could use a hint please. Just got the speed dash post Kraid. I am sure it is obvious but I was half asleep when I saved last night.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The RNG movement of the EMMIs really reinforced the idea that the best way to deal with them is "just loving go"; either you faceplant into one randomly and reset faster or you just book it through to where you want to be. You can move faster than (most of) them uncloaked so faffing around trying to "hide" in a 2d space where they move extremely erratically is just begging for a frustrating time

I had more than one time where I'd open a door, go to run through it and immediately have the bad luck of literally running straight into it on the other side of the door, it was just like "welp that sucks gonna do the exact same route next time though" and it was fine because it had RNG'd somewhere completely else the next time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, doing what was under the spoiler does not unlock the teleporter network either, I just beat it and went to the orange one in Ghavoran and it's only letting me go to the other orange one.

So what the hell unlocks it?

maybe going up and down the elevator to the final boss arena?? at least in my case I did that before doubling back to check the teleporters (having been told beforehand), and it gave me free portin'

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

^burtle posted:

Could use a hint please. Just got the speed dash post Kraid. I am sure it is obvious but I was half asleep when I saved last night.

If you mean Flash Shift specifically then you should be able to use it in the orange EMMI area in Dairon

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

maybe going up and down the elevator to the final boss arena?? at least in my case I did that before doubling back to check the teleporters (having been told beforehand), and it gave me free portin'

that might actually be Very Interesting speedrun tech, if just "being in the final area" is what toggles it

e: I'd probably at least go to the save room there and save so you don't have to run all the way back if it's "touching the save point" or something dumb lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

that might actually be Very Interesting speedrun tech, if just "being in the final area" is what toggles it

god i can't wait to see this at the GDQs

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Confirmed: it's going up the elevator to the final boss area that does it. I went up the elevator and immediately back down, ran to the orange teleportal in Ghavoran, and got the "All teleportals are unlocked" message.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If you mean Flash Shift specifically then you should be able to use it in the orange EMMI area in Dairon

Sorry not Flash Shift, Speed Booster. I think my last EMMI was green?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
11 hours with 56% of items. Final boss took me an hour and half. Playing without a pro controller was a bad idea. It’s my first 2D Metroid game, I hope Nintendo brings the other titles to the Switch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

^burtle posted:

Sorry not Flash Shift, Speed Booster. I think my last EMMI was green?

If you just got Speed Booster you should be able to take it back to the first room in Dairon and shoot up through the ceiling to get access to a teleporter, iirc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Confirmed: it's going up the elevator to the final boss area that does it. I went up the elevator and immediately back down, ran to the orange teleportal in Ghavoran, and got the "All teleportals are unlocked" message.

Ah sorry, it had to be one or the other and I guess that does make a bit more sense as the trigger.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if i just killed the giant scorpionish thing for the stealth mode item, can anyone point me in a general direction? all i'm finding are places where i either need varia or i think the morph ball. i'm sure it's obvious but i don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

uber_stoat posted:

if i just killed the giant scorpionish thing for the stealth mode item, can anyone point me in a general direction? all i'm finding are places where i either need varia or i think the morph ball. i'm sure it's obvious but i don't see it.

hidden blocks left of the elevator in the hot zone