Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think, as a thread, we should all agree to post "omg I can't believe Matt won again" in random bursts so West Coasters like me are desensitized for when he loses for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

HookShot posted:

He claims it wasn't him but it 100% was him. It was up and ready to go before his run even began.
Didn't someone in this thread find that site after his first or second win? It made it really obvious that we were at the beginning of a long streak, unlike Matt where that realization came much more gradually.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Jokymi posted:

Didn't someone in this thread find that site after his first or second win? It made it really obvious that we were at the beginning of a long streak, unlike Matt where that realization came much more gradually.

I think it was found before his run even started, which was even funnier.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

I think it was found before his run even started, which was even funnier.

Yeah, I think the DNS records showed that it was registered like a month before his run began. And it was traced to him.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I’m still not certain it was James (I thought it was for sure and then I saw how insanely sycophantic his legion of fans are and it certainly could have been someone in his circle who attended the first week or two) though clearly it’s 100% on James for not getting it shut down.

I had apple and thermidor instantly (and not roger rabbit), but I think thermidor is probably the hardest of those three by far for anyone to encounter in their daily life if they’re not actively studying trivia, does that make it unfairly hard? I mean, not for jeopardy but it could be unfun for viewers

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I’ve heard of lobster thermidor, which is apparently named after the month. I didn’t even know there was a French republican calendar. But the other month in the clue also ended in “-dor” and I knew therm was heat and mashed them together to form a word

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Timby posted:

Yeah, I think the DNS records showed that it was registered like a month before his run began. And it was traced to him.

Yeah, I think Andy Saunders of the Jeopardy Fan found it almost immediately, and then it was discussed shortly afterwards in our Facebook group. If it wasn’t James himself behind the King Holzhauer website, it was definitely condoned by him (the whole disclaimer spiel added at the bottom of the page and the changing of the “humbled subjects” section after discussion of complaints on the Jeopardy Fan and other websites makes it pretty obvious).

What makes it so infuriating is that James still has his legion claiming that he’s so “humble” or that he lost to Emma on purpose (or that she “cheated”) so as not to break Jennings’ record or to spend more time with his daughter or whatever. I will say that James can put on a good front when he needs to, and can aim his snark at deserving targets in good fun, but it’s a shame when he does it to dunk on people who don’t quite deserve it.

Thermidor came easily to me, as I remember I was reading the Wikipedia page for Thermidor like a month ago at work for some odd reason that I can’t remember right now.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

packetmantis posted:

It's pretty funny when people in this thread get mad about clues that are UNFAIRLY HARD because they didn't know the answer.

god yes, one of my favorite things this thread regularly produces

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
FWIW, The New York Times has a article out on Dr. Bialik

https://nyti.ms/3mBbH0s

Is it me or has she gotten better hosting this season?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Island Nation posted:

FWIW, The New York Times has a article out on Dr. Bialik

https://nyti.ms/3mBbH0s

Is it me or has she gotten better hosting this season?

Yeah I've liked her a lot more on her second stint.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can’t read the article and won’t be home to bypass the paywall until later but the answer is: no.

That said I agree she’s gotten much less annoying at the actual hosting part. Doesn’t make her a less lovely human though.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CPColin posted:

"omg I can't believe Matt won again"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"Looks like it's another runaway game for Matt Amod..hold on a second--out of nowhere it's James Holzhauer with a folding chair!"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Jeopardy: Hell in a Cell

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

CPColin posted:

"omg I can't believe Matt ...lost..."

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have to admit she's doing a really good job hosting now. If she didn't exist outside the show I would actually probably be happy with the choice

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

You could see the moment in Double Jeopardy when Matt's soul left his body.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

christmas boots posted:

"Looks like it's another runaway game for Matt Amod..hold on a second--out of nowhere it's James Holzhauer with a folding chair!"

I would pay to see this tbh.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Timby posted:

Yeah, the one time I tune into Jeopardy in a long time (and Mayim has improved, but her cadence still sounds off), and this happens. By the time we’re a couple of questions into Double Jeopardy, I knew that this was gonna be one where he either made an amazing comeback or his final game. Getting deeper in, it was more clear it would be the latter.

Though that Final was rather easy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yeah I don't notice Mayim anymore.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drat that was a good game

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

He fuckin threw that game a hundred percent.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I don't care, it made my night.

I noticed Mayim a lot more tonight. She annoyed me greatly. She had been much better lately, but seemed to be tossing in that extra info more than usual.

Also, Matt should have been $400 less. They asked what 'H' meant in HTML and HTTP. Matt answered "hyper-text". It should have just been hyper.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Szyznyk posted:

He fuckin threw that game a hundred percent.

I don't think he did, he just got into his own head once he fell behind in DJ and probably rang in too early and get locked out when he started getting desperate.

Amazed he didn't get Final though, I though it was easy as hell with even a cursory knowledge of WWII and geography? Poland is nowhere near the Alps, dude! I'd bet you my next paycheck that he started writing Austria and scratched it out though, he's second-guessed himself out of correct answers quite a few times before.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CPColin posted:

"omg I can't believe Matt won again"

Upon my own petard, hoist I

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Timby posted:

That's the face of the man who realized he needs to resume working on his dissertation.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Also, Matt should have been $400 less. They asked what 'H' meant in HTML and HTTP. Matt answered "hyper-text". It should have just been hyper.
The question was “What does the HT in HTTP and HTML stand for?”.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Tbh I only knew the final because I’ve seen The Third Man

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Nobody is ever touching Ken's streak lmao

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

If it's any consolation, Matt holds the almost certainly unbeatable record of "most hosts played Jeopardy under"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Well, I'm certainly an idiot who didn't pay complete attention to the clue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

If it's any consolation, Matt holds the almost certainly unbeatable record of "most hosts played Jeopardy under"

This is the funniest record in jeopardy history.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I like how each of the Jeopardy great seems to hold their own distinct record that hasn't been encroached upon. Ken has the most number of games, Matt the most number of hosts, I think James won the most money during his initial run, and IIRC Brad won the most tournaments.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I like how each of the Jeopardy great seems to hold their own distinct record that hasn't been encroached upon. Ken has the most number of games, Matt the most number of hosts, I think James won the most money during his initial run, and IIRC Brad won the most tournaments.

Ken still has James beat on most money won in regular Jeopardy games ($2.5 million compared to $2.4, which led to endless conspiracy theorizing by James fans that he purposely threw the last game against Emma so “he wouldn’t break Ken’s record” because he’s so “humble” or “wanted to get back to spending time with his daughter” or whatever, because they couldn’t admit that Emma beat him fair and square), but James has like 12 of the most money won in a game records. Brad has also won the most money collectively from Jeopardy, adding his total tournament winnings to the mix.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They generally won’t penalize you if you give too much information that still fits the clue.

If he had said hyper train, he would have been ruled incorrect.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Tbh I only knew the final because I’ve seen The Third Man

I guessed based on the Sound of Music which I know Matt has also seen because he has nailed all the musical categories. :colbert:

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Final jeopardy was pretty easy tonight though that might just be me playing way to many map games. Matt definitely felt the pressure in double jeopardy causing him to make mistakes. I thought for the longest time he would make a comeback with how late the daily doubles popped.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If there's one thing I'd want as a long running jeopardy player, it's to stop making money for ??? REASONS ???

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That Venom question though.

Spawn? Come on, Matt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

If there's one thing I'd want as a long running jeopardy player, it's to stop making money for ??? REASONS ???

This isn’t applying this logic to James (or Matt) at all, but people get fatigued , so I could see a super long jeopardy run as getting tiring and having a bit of stress of “how long can I keep this going.”

It’s an extremely good problem to have , for the record.