Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Those movies/shorts are pretty solid for a kids cartoon. Having Kamala and Doreen be bffs is a pretty good pairing, and I'd hope they would carry that over to live action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1447694295121678347

Finally confirmed, I know a lot of people itt will be happy

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1447694295121678347

Finally confirmed, I know a lot of people itt will be happy

Well, as long as Poulter doesn't spend two-thirds of the movie as a mute CGI dragon, anyway.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Everyone posted:

Well, as long as Poulter doesn't spend two-thirds of the movie as a mute CGI dragon, anyway.

What if a tarantula bites him in the nuts?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Inkspot posted:

What if a tarantula bites him in the nuts?

Still better than Crouching Tiger, Silent Dragon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Probably wishful thinking here, but What If season 2 would be a fun excuse to bring back the Netflix MCU characters & actors. Like "What If the Defenders were the Avengers?" or "What If Kingpin had the Infinity Gauntlet?"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

sticklefifer posted:

Probably wishful thinking here, but What If season 2 would be a fun excuse to bring back the Netflix MCU characters & actors. Like "What If the Defenders were the Avengers?" or "What If Kingpin had the Infinity Gauntlet?"

gently caress yes!

I’m lowkey exhausted at how most episodes had all the MCU characters and locations. It was just too much. It’s not a fun cameo when everyone is in everything.

There was no reason, honestly, not to include other Marvel characters from other shows, or future films, or who have only ever existed in comics so far. Lots of those in the show looked different anyway, Batroc and Drax looked much more like their comic selves, so why not stuff Namor or Daredevil or The Thing or Stiltman in there? It’s not a commitment to having them be in movies, or follow that look, at all.

“What If… Marvel Could Look Beyond Remixing Existing Movies Only?”

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The big appeal of this was marketed to everyone was that most of the actors from the films reprised their roles. They weren't guns introduce anyone new except the Watcher.

So I wouldn't expect new people in season 2 either, but it will have more TV and movies to pull from.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Parkingtigers posted:

There was no reason, honestly, not to include other Marvel characters from other shows, or future films, or who have only ever existed in comics so far. Lots of those in the show looked different anyway, Batroc and Drax looked much more like their comic selves, so why not stuff Namor or Daredevil or The Thing or Stiltman in there? It’s not a commitment to having them be in movies, or follow that look, at all.

There was a pretty simple reason, and that reason is that just because nerds are familiar with Stiltman and would enjoy his cameo doesn't mean that the average MCU fan and/or Disney+ subscriber who is the actual audience for this would. They're sticking to characters already introduced because that's all they can expect the audience to know.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“What If” featuring a bunch of characters no one has ever heard of or cares about defeats the fundamental premise of “What If”, which is putting famous characters everyone knows in new and weird situations. If you have no context for a particular character, then their “What If” scenario would just seem like a normal adventure for them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I liked What If but I think they were poorly edited. Each one I think could lose about five minutes.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I kinda wished they were 1 hour episodes myself, so they could explore more instead of just going from plot point to plot point

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

pile of brown posted:

I kinda wished they were 1 hour episodes myself, so they could explore more instead of just going from plot point to plot point

I think the Mr. Sunday movies guys mentioned that the episodes were originally going to be 45 minutes long, but Covid happened. I don't know how true is that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think they've all been pretty much fine on length (party Thor going a bit too long, but that's because there isn't really a story happening). They're pitched at people who've seen all the films so they hit the ground running, don't bother doing more than the bare minimum of exposition for the sake of the story they are telling in the moment, and then conclude before too many questions get asked.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think the only episode that could have really benefited from being longer was the zombie one

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I kinda wish they'd given the Stark-on-Sakaar ep a summary on YouTube or something, just to give Gamora a little more context in the finale. Could've been fine with animatics or storyboards with Wright voiceover.

Maybe they're saving it for season 2 but seems kinda weird already knowing how it ends, unless they expand past it.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Hobo Clown posted:

I kinda wish they'd given the Stark-on-Sakaar ep a summary on YouTube or something, just to give Gamora a little more context in the finale. Could've been fine with animatics or storyboards with Wright voiceover.

Maybe they're saving it for season 2 but seems kinda weird already knowing how it ends, unless they expand past it.
To quote Kang: "You can't get to the end until you've been changed by the journey." :eng99:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They're releasing the first two episodes of Hawkeye on the 24th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyXUaNhqpqE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am so psyched for Hawkeye. Can't wait to add it to my unlikely holiday tv/movie watching rotation!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

howe_sam posted:

gently caress, looks like I'm gonna have to move up finishing the second half of the Fraction run.

e: wait you mean November 24th, lol

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Just like what happened with WandaVision. Wonder if the episodes are short, if they're just trying some things out like Amazon releasing the first 3 episodes before switching to weekly, or if there is a hell of a cliff-hanger/hook to the second ep.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My guess is that it's so the show ends before Christmas.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

Just like what happened with WandaVision. Wonder if the episodes are short, if they're just trying some things out like Amazon releasing the first 3 episodes before switching to weekly, or if there is a hell of a cliff-hanger/hook to the second ep.

if it's 6 episodes and 2 come out that week of thanksgiving, it'd put the final one out christmas week -- they may just think they get better numbers this way, in terms of it being available while people are with families

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Also it will allow it to wrap up the week before the Book of Boba Fett. Hawkeye looking like it's going to be a fun festive romp.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

howe_sam posted:

Has Hawkeye LARPing, already better than Eternals

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Parkingtigers posted:

Also it will allow it to wrap up the week before the Book of Boba Fett. Hawkeye looking like it's going to be a fun festive romp.

Yeah it was originally scheduled to end the same day that Book of Boba Fett starts which sounds like a hilarious fuckup of scheduling.

edit: especially when No Way Home already comes out in the middle of Hawkeye, lol

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

kazil posted:

Has Hawkeye LARPing, already better than Eternals

Jeremy Renfair.

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah it was originally scheduled to end the same day that Book of Boba Fett starts which sounds like a hilarious fuckup of scheduling.

Why? What's the problem here?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why? What's the problem here?

They don't want their top shows to step on one another and they want to keep people subbed so it doesn't make sense to have Hawkeye and Boba Fett episodes on the same day especially if there's going to be a break after Boba Fett before more MCU/Star Wars. This is the same reason they changed to a Wednesday release with Loki to try not to step on Black Widow.

It's not that it's a problem for us, it's just not their best use of their content for their purposes, which is still perceived as being pretty sparse by many people vs Netflix (people always forget it's like 1/3 the price but :shrug: )

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 14, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

You should have put that its still Novemeber 24th. Man I love that shot of Hawkeye catching the molotov and throwing it back.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

twistedmentat posted:

You should have put that its still Novemeber 24th. Man I love that shot of Hawkeye catching the molotov and throwing it back.

Yeah, I knew that the beginning was planned for November so I was excited to hear that it's already in 10 days instead.
Well six weeks days aren't that much either.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nail Rat posted:

edit: especially when No Way Home already comes out in the middle of Hawkeye, lol

Back in my day, TV networks regularly aired multiple new episodes of different shows during the same months.

I'm sure D+ probably is doing that right now but I can't wait until the point where they are comfortable running live action SW and MCU shows during the same time frame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spacebump posted:

Back in my day, TV networks regularly aired multiple new episodes of different shows during the same months.

I'm sure D+ probably is doing that right now but I can't wait until the point where they are comfortable running live action SW and MCU shows during the same time frame.

Disney's in kind of a unique position where they don't have a ton of premium original content but the demand for that content is so unbelievably high they can get away with only putting out one episode a week.

That's not "good," to be clear, it's just interesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

howe_sam posted:

Renner looks unbelievably old in that thumbnail.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I am here for the 100% petty bullshit that is Marvel dropping trailers all weekend to counter DC Fandom.

Bring on the Spider-Man trailer with the Toby + Andrew reveal.

The_Doctor posted:

Renner looks unbelievably old in that thumbnail.

I sorta love that the MCU has to deal with the problem of their actors aging.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Infinitum posted:

I am here for the 100% petty bullshit that is Marvel dropping trailers all weekend to counter DC Fandom.

Bring on the Spider-Man trailer with the Toby + Andrew reveal.

I sorta love that the MCU has to deal with the problem of their actors aging.

Early on I thought they should just recast when necessary like Bond.

At this point, it feels like they won't even consider that. Probably for the best so characters can stay dead for awhile.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Early on I thought they should just recast when necessary like Bond.

At this point, it feels like they won't even consider that. Probably for the best so characters can stay dead for awhile.

Not having a reset button to hit is part of the appeal of the MCU.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm 99% sure the reason they're setting up the multiverse is so they can start recasting characters in the MCU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:emptyquote:

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
Do you think season 2 will be the guardians of the multiverse or a new set of characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

I'm 99% sure the reason they're setting up the multiverse is so they can start recasting characters in the MCU

I think it gives them an out if people ultimately don't like where they are headed, but the way forward is pretty obvious we're already getting successor characters like Kate Bishop Hawkeye, Sam Wilson Cap, Yelena Black Widow, Ironheart, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk. I don't expect any of the Avengers to be re-casted actors, not for a while at least.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 14, 2021