Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

hidden blocks left of the elevator in the hot zone

that did it, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does anyone else think bosses are HP sponges more often than not? I’m fighting (VERY late game spoiler) the Cataris thermal core X boss and I’ve dumped 160+ missiles into this bitch and it is nowhere near dead. The whole game is oddly overtuned, actually, it’s by far the most bullshit of all the main series entries.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao that the game checkpoints before EMMIs but not cutscenes

Also lmao Chozo Warrior killed me more than I've died in entire Metroid games, but it took like ten minutes with how quick it is. Feels good! You can't counter his red attack right? I didn't just gently caress it up every time? I just hopped over it when I got the timing down but still. It looks like you should be able to do something badass to that

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
cataris boss in particular heals during the phase where they grab all the walls and you need to shoot their hands so if that's lasting a while you're making negative progress. in general doing counters correctly also makes bosses significantly quicker

elite chozo warrior counter needs you to dash counter into them, and then you can grapple beam their shield

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The bosses are all tuned to effectively require successful counters. My first successful kill of that boss involved 3 of them in fairly quick succession and probably took 60 seconds total. shinesparking into it after flappy samus does a bunch of damage too

The fact that all of them can be whittled to death without counters, frustratingly and taking a lot more time to do, is...a design decision that was made, I guess.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Holy poo poo I can’t believe girl is Metroid

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you’re not abusing storm missiles, they do a ton of damage

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
also the cataris boss can be instantly killed with shinespark

Eomora
Sep 11, 2021

Finished the game 100% today at around 11 hours, and I absolutely loved it. The EMMIs were definitely frustrating, but they also had their intended effect of making certain areas really tense, at least for me. Some of the Shinespark puzzles definitely kicked my rear end the first couple of times, but I was able to get them all with a bit of practice and they turned out to be pretty fun. It took me a bit to realize that you could shoot in mid-air to cancel a Space Jump for Shinespark purposes. Before that I kept pressing B for the Shinespark and just jumping again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

petcarcharodon posted:

also the cataris boss can be instantly killed with shinespark

it's not necessarily instant, I don't think, you're just usually late in the fight when the opportunity presents itself so it's already probably low health, unlike the other boss you can do that on

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it's not necessarily instant, I don't think, you're just usually late in the fight when the opportunity presents itself so it's already probably low health, unlike the other boss you can do that on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-GMo_farJc
nah someone enabled a debug healthbar

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have literally never not landed a counter against the Cataris boss and it still takes forever.

I’ll try the Shinespark.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

petcarcharodon posted:

elite chozo warrior counter needs you to dash counter into them, and then you can grapple beam their shield
This and actually the other variants with the shields as well is kind of an interesting case because all it really does is allow you to attack nonstop. They still put the shield away to attack and only even use the shield in the first phase so you can still beat them with relative ease without breaking their shields if you can get into the rhythm of punishing their openings.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I landed the Shinespark tackle on that fucker and I felt like a tremendous badass. If they do a manga adaptation of this game this will be the canon way of how Samus takes it down.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
finished super Metroid! Now to see if anyone else in the thread replied to my po-

BisbyWorl posted:

Hitting him with a super is what makes him start his bullet hell phase. After 8 waves of flames he'll go back to normal. If you stick to beams/missiles he'll never, ever use that pattern.

hey what the gently caress god drat gently caress

Was mad enough when someone told me the trick for the flying boss that is not Ripley but now I'm even madder

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I hope they loving fired whoever designed this shinespark puzzle in Burenia, goddamn is this bullshit, it feels impossible.

e: If for no other reason than putting a loving door in the middle of where you need to start the speed boost, what an incredible rear end in a top hat.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 12, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Calidus posted:

11 hours with 56% of items. Final boss took me an hour and half. Playing without a pro controller was a bad idea. It’s my first 2D Metroid game, I hope Nintendo brings the other titles to the Switch.

What were your thoughts on Dread?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Does anyone else think bosses are HP sponges more often than not? I’m fighting (VERY late game spoiler) the Cataris thermal core X boss and I’ve dumped 160+ missiles into this bitch and it is nowhere near dead. The whole game is oddly overtuned, actually, it’s by far the most bullshit of all the main series entries.
on the contrary i felt like all the bosses die pretty quickly once you figure out their vulenrability windows and patterns, so you're probably just doing something wrong

are you spamming storm missiles? because you should

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao that the game checkpoints before EMMIs but not cutscenes

Also lmao Chozo Warrior killed me more than I've died in entire Metroid games, but it took like ten minutes with how quick it is. Feels good! You can't counter his red attack right? I didn't just gently caress it up every time? I just hopped over it when I got the timing down but still. It looks like you should be able to do something badass to that
it doesn't have the flash so no. the game is extremely consistent with that

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
lol of course you can get the screw attack early, hell why not

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

I hope they loving fired whoever designed this shinespark puzzle in Burenia, goddamn is this bullshit, it feels impossible.

e: If for no other reason than putting a loving door in the middle of where you need to start the speed boost, what an incredible rear end in a top hat.

I'm getting good at that for the sole reason of skipping all the underwater poo poo without gravity suit on followup playthroughs lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hogama posted:

lol of course you can get the screw attack early, hell why not

drat this game rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezaoXi0cCfs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I haven't played this game in two days and my left wrist still hurts.

I probably shouldn't have burned my way up to the final boss, but still.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do you hit that speed booster part in Artaria directly to the right of the red teleportal? It looks like there's no way to do so, unless you can somehow store a charge going up the ramp from the other side. The tiles coming from the portal aren't breakable at all.

e: Oh, maybe that does do it and I should stop single bomb jumping my way up this loving wall lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 12, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just want to be able to screw attack while standing still. Is that too much to ask, game? Are we here only to be in pain, game?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I just want to be able to screw attack while standing still. Is that too much to ask, game? Are we here only to be in pain, game?

first metroid game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

scary ghost dog posted:

first metroid game?

No, just frustrated because I keep getting pinned against the wall by the last boss' melee swipes. you have to screw attack against the wall and it's super fiddly

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ahhhh my dumb rear end thought you could only do the Speed Dash while running in one direction for a time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CuddleCryptid posted:

No, just frustrated because I keep getting pinned against the wall by the last boss' melee swipes. you have to screw attack against the wall and it's super fiddly

If you're far enough away from him he'll stop the combo, so if you're getting close to him for the room-clear attack and then immediately flash shift multiple times away from him he won't combo you into the wall in the first place

also flash shifting over his head seems to work better if you're already in a place where you're about to get comboed into the wall

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

help i cant space jump underwater. i know i cant go up without the gravity suit but sometimes i cant go horizontally either

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
aside from damage values getting even higher, i think hard mode might also increase boss artack speed? I'm fighting the first of the recurring robot miniboss enemies, and i swear they were not this fast before

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really wish (very late game) Storm Missile locked on faster. Endgame bosses just devolve into finding tight windows to wait for the lock-on and a split-second reaction to hit the enemy and bail. It’s really tedious and annoying and I wish there were better weapons than the Storm Missile cause it’s not fun to use.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Barreft posted:

What were your thoughts on Dread?

It’s a good game but I was expecting something better. I have played Hallow Kinght, Ori, and Gaucamelee. I thought Nintendo would be a class above the indie games.

Good
- Boss fights and EMMI encounters
- Leading but not telling the player where to go next

Bad
- The setting seemed kinda generic

Ugly
- The controls in general are just kinda brutal when using a Switch in handheld mode.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

^burtle posted:

Ahhhh my dumb rear end thought you could only do the Speed Dash while running in one direction for a time.
So I'm clear, you're referring to once it's charged and not prior yeah?

Also the game really could've spelt out morph ball shinesparking. It's not even the same buttons.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Twelve by Pies posted:

why is the door a problem? just....shoot it while you run? or is the screen transition messing with you?

don't get me wrong, that is a hard puzzle - but the door wouldn't have been the bullshit element I singled out.

edit: and to be clear, I am not trying to claim to be some elite shinesparker - there are still at least two I haven't figured out what to do for yet.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 12, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I really wish (very late game) Storm Missile locked on faster. Endgame bosses just devolve into finding tight windows to wait for the lock-on and a split-second reaction to hit the enemy and bail. It’s really tedious and annoying and I wish there were better weapons than the Storm Missile cause it’s not fun to use.

Yeah it really sucks you have to time your dodges and shots against bosses, really can't believe the ice missiles don't freeze bosses in place so you can just shoot them until you win

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I don't know if I can beat this game. Phase 3 of the final boss deals way too much damage. I go in with full health but in a matter of seconds he just completely drains my energy. This just seems unbeatable for me.

ROJO posted:

why is the door a problem? just....shoot it while you run? or is the screen transition messing with you?

don't get me wrong, that is a hard puzzle - but the door wouldn't have been the bullshit element I singled out.

The door isn't hard to deal with but it's incredibly, incredibly annoying because if you screw up, you have two choices. Either one, stand around and wait for the door to close just so you can shoot it open again, or two, start up a speed boost charge except oops the door slammed shut in your face gently caress you lol! It's an extremely dick move.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know if I can beat this game. Phase 3 of the final boss deals way too much damage. I go in with full health but in a matter of seconds he just completely drains my energy. This just seems unbeatable for me.

The door isn't hard to deal with but it's incredibly, incredibly annoying because if you screw up, you have two choices. Either one, stand around and wait for the door to close just so you can shoot it open again, or two, start up a speed boost charge except oops the door slammed shut in your face gently caress you lol! It's an extremely dick move.

Ah OK - yeah, to be honest, I usually spent long enough trying to make sure I was right on the far edge of the platform since the distance is so tight, the door was always closed when I started.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

If it helps you can break the giant sun orb with a power bomb, that way you don't have to deal with dodging the fire waves in addition to everything else he does (it also has item drops).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I made it past phase three.

Oh goody there's a phase four.

I can't handle this I give up for tonight, loving hell.