Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

GotDonuts posted:

I think I am gonna go for a hatchet build, what would pair well with it? Planning on going for str, was thinking a battleaxe for more axe goodness.

Great axe is a really good pairing. They're both primary strength and it also offers self healing by doing damage with excellent cleave. Clumping things with gravity well and going :black101: on them feels great. I agree it's good to have an option for range but hatchet can do that! For 2 points in the throwing tree you can throw your hatchet with infinite ammo and also enable it to crit/headshot (with +crit to your other attacks too).

I also really liked spear with hatchet but ultimately I think I prefer great axe. Spear offers excellent CC and reach but it's mostly single target and the CC doesn't work on a lot of the bigger mobs where I'd really want it. Spear really felt lacking when I stepped into a dungeon, especially since it also has a tendency to push mobs away and out of the healing circle. It also only scales off str as a secondary so it doesn't synergize as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
does anyone run starstone burrows at all? it seems really expensive to make an orb and I've never seen anyone lfg it in chat

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Gone Fashing posted:

does anyone run starstone burrows at all? it seems really expensive to make an orb and I've never seen anyone lfg it in chat

not good for a big mmo just released 2 weeks ago

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Gone Fashing posted:

There's constantly people running it on Royllo.

I just ran it with a goon and some pubsters yesterday.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
ok and yeah I looked it up, I guess there's a quest I missed that gives you a free orb for it. still haven't seen anyone lfg it on my server but my server was pretty low pop...may have to transfer eventually

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I think there's like 2 quests that gives orbs to starstone and amrine

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I also kind of hate this game but I'm still in for now due to it being a chill game to play with my friends, and also still holding out for server transfers so I can go to Royllo and maybe get to pvp in this pvp game.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I did one of the outdoor 5 man spots I'm severely overleveled for solo, the one in the southwest corner of Monarch's Bluff. There was a cannon in the back by the named boss and I got to shoot him with it. He had a lot of HP and didn't drop anything good but it was still fun. There's a bunch of crates and chests nodes and stuff in there too, I feel like nobody does these.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Hakarne posted:

Great axe is a really good pairing. They're both primary strength and it also offers self healing by doing damage with excellent cleave. Clumping things with gravity well and going :black101: on them feels great. I agree it's good to have an option for range but hatchet can do that! For 2 points in the throwing tree you can throw your hatchet with infinite ammo and also enable it to crit/headshot (with +crit to your other attacks too).

I also really liked spear with hatchet but ultimately I think I prefer great axe. Spear offers excellent CC and reach but it's mostly single target and the CC doesn't work on a lot of the bigger mobs where I'd really want it. Spear really felt lacking when I stepped into a dungeon, especially since it also has a tendency to push mobs away and out of the healing circle. It also only scales off str as a secondary so it doesn't synergize as well.

I run hammer/hatchet and routinely kill people 20 levels higher than me. It feels like a pretty good combo.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

theguybro posted:

There's constantly people running it on Royllo.

I just ran it with a goon and some pubsters yesterday.

pretty good for a big mmo just released 2 weeks ago

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Lorem ipsum posted:

I run hammer/hatchet and routinely kill people 20 levels higher than me. It feels like a pretty good combo.

I was tempted to try it because I like CC but I think all the hammers look weirdly oversized and awkward. Just a bunch of ugly lovely skins. It does seem like an effective weapon though

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Sunday Morning posted:

Thats too great for a big mmo just released 2 weeks ago

Who me?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Hakarne posted:

I think all the hammers look weirdly oversized and awkward. Just a bunch of ugly lovely skins.

Ya, they look awful and comically out of place

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Good news everyone. Influence gain for attackers is in fact too high.

https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/q6760u/dev_update_on_influence_mechanic_its_a_bug/

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I think I'm at like 150 hours or something like that and...man, I love this dumb game.

It's got issues. Lots of issues. But I'm an economy gamer first and foremost, and with New World I get to make a fortune on the market and show it off in my big house.

Truly, living my generation's dream in-game since it's unrealistic in real life.

The game play, while repetitive, is actually really satisfying, too. I guess we'll see how long it lasts.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I think I'm at like 150 hours or something like that and...man, I love this dumb game.

It's got issues. Lots of issues. But I'm an economy gamer first and foremost, and with New World I get to make a fortune on the market and show it off in my big house.

Truly, living my generation's dream in-game since it's unrealistic in real life.

The game play, while repetitive, is actually really satisfying, too. I guess we'll see how long it lasts.

How are you making money friend

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

RisqueBarber posted:

How are you making money friend

Buying and selling. I have constant buy orders in multiple towns, primarily for base tier one goods. Then I bring it all back to Windward and sell into the weekend prime time.

For example, I buy aged wood for 0.01 thousands at a time. I burn it into charcoal, and during the weekend rush, it sells for 0.50-0.70 per piece. That's a....sizable return.

I've also started buying out luck/gather starmetal tools when they're underpriced, as well as gather luck amulets.

And I farm a bit myself, too. I pull in about 4000 iron ore an hour on my favorite route.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

CLAM DOWN posted:

-the UI is absolutely embarrassingly awful. buggy, laggy, lacking basic QoL
-the entire game is missing basic QoL features and it's so incredibly obvious every time I play. everything from the UI to crafting to movement and travel to basic quest/gameplay things.
-the PvE is 3.5 quests repeated forever. it's monotonous, boring, repetitive, and tedious.
-the PvP had potential but they whiffed it. the level differences makes open world pvp garbage and no one flags.
-because I'm behind the levelling curve (i'm level 31), I don't get to take part in wars because of the aforementioned level difference meaning no one will let me in. so I don't get to do the SOLE unique feature of this game, and that is absolute garbage.
-the crafting is terrible and pointless. gathering is actually good and pretty satisfying, but to what end? for what point?
-the entire game is just a circa-2006 grind fest.
-somehow the launch has been hosed up so badly that there is basically no influx of new players, already, and the low level zones are dead. in 2 weeks.

I'm waiting until 50 so I can at least see what the "end game" stuff is like but this is all legit, and I'm probably done too unless the invasions and pvp stuff is super loving awesome. Im 30ish now and its been a lot of levels of the exact same poo poo in slightly different locations. The randomly generated faction/town quests were old almost immediately, and even the "storyline" quests are exactly the same thing with better text. If they wanted to turn this from a pvp game to a pve game they needed to delay it a lot more to actually add interesting quests instead of all this generic generated garbage.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, it is. I'm done with the game, and there are hardly any new players (on our server at least).

There aren't new players because 99% of players started within 72 hours of release lol.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
There are also no new players because most of the servers got capped shortly after release. I know a lot of people that can't play with their friends because they started a bit later.

There really needs to be more for companies to actually do besides a literal handful of them owning towns, then you wouldn't need to cap the servers so hard.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

loving lmao

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
what is the best weapon to use with the life staff?

also what armor type?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

err posted:

also what armor type?

Warhammer, heavy armor, focus -> damage gem in the hammer.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Lawlicaust posted:

Warhammer, heavy armor, focus -> damage gem in the hammer.

Thanks, whats the reasoning for the warhammer?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Great axe is fun too. Same setup of using a focus gem.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

err posted:

Thanks, whats the reasoning for the warhammer?

a lot of the warhammer's utility comes from its stuns and knockdowns. A healer with a war hammer can still be really disruptive even with all their stat points in focus and constitution

Darwin_
Oct 4, 2021

err posted:

also what armor type?

I paired it with a hatchet, decent dps for solo pve even with all points in focus/con. Just pop berserk and smash.

For armor, heavy works well but its main advantage is bonus to shields and it lowers your healing/damage. So if you use sword and shield it would make more sense. I wear medium armor because it gives enough protection and also gives a small boost to my healing. For optimum medium armor you should wear heavy chest and helm, medium gloves and boots and light pants.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

dipwood posted:

There really needs to be more for companies to actually do besides a literal handful of them owning towns, then you wouldn't need to cap the servers so hard.

Also towns worth a drat, literally only ones making money atm are Brightwood/Everfall/Windsward. All others either have to specialize in one area which barely pays back investment, and the map not updating profession tiers makes everyone always ask for what the latest tiers are in public chat

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Kill All Cops posted:

Also towns worth a drat, literally only ones making money atm are Brightwood/Everfall/Windsward. All others either have to specialize in one area which barely pays back investment, and the map not updating profession tiers makes everyone always ask for what the latest tiers are in public chat

towns flipping back and forth force stations to lose rank which no one is gonna want, but it's also what pvp is based on so something is gonna have to give way

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My server was never closed so I’m still seeing plenty level 5-8 players in the towns and newbie zones. Anecdotal evidence, of course.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
and now i will present a list of mmorpgs that aren't eternal grinds:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kill All Cops posted:

The problem with the tiers is actually that, when they get knocked down a level from failing a corruption invasion, the map updates them as being a lower level but they actually stay the same level.

Mnoba posted:

towns flipping back and forth force stations to lose rank which no one is gonna want, but it's also what pvp is based on so something is gonna have to give way

Losing the pve invasions is what causes stations to derank, changing hands does not.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i've rarely heard of mmos merging servers

The wow server I was on merged. Im still salty about that merge too because it booted me and my partner in 2v2 out of the blizzard 2v2 server invitation.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i just ran with irl friends this time around, just pure fun no dumb g00n drama

Same.

I've been running hatchet and 2h axe. Axe is good if you can blind side a group but if you go in frontal, you're just gonna get hammered and killed.

Hatchet is hilariously op against anyone who doesnt block. Ran into someone running a cooldown build and he double flurried me and it was amazing.

Games pretty fun. Grindy. Could use a lot of QOL, item sets, mailboxes, NOT SO MANY BUGS. Just what some friends and I have been looking for. With there being no scaling though I can see the lower zones being bullied by 60s, and its already starting to happen in some places.

Someone said it feels like an emptier guild wars and I have to agree. The GRAND WAR AGAINST THE CORRUPTED feels so empty. Guild wars at least made the ambiance feel like a real war was going on.

Thank you for reading my words, back to the grind to 60....which people already have holy poo poo.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
On one hand I get the “missions and quests are repetitive” complaint, but on the other hand I don’t really care. All MMOs are the same dumb questing. FFXIV is especially awful with the kill 3 or collect 3 things, Guild Wars has the same quest types everywhere for renown hearts. It’s just a means to get you out in the world killing things.

I also prefer a more hands-off story in an MMO that uses the world, the little notes lying around, etc and lets me kind of take it in on my own terms, rather than awful story (WoW, GW2) or story I can’t escape (FFXIV). In this game I’m just exploring a really cool looking world, find a note and I’m like “oh poo poo that’s what’s happening here? Rad.” Then go back to the super fun combat.

Like I do get the complaints from people who come in expecting this to be the next great PVE MMO but it is really just the kind of game I’ve been wanting in the MMO space for a really long time. Hopefully for many others, too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It is kind of frustrating to have more boring quests in an MMO but if you think about any game too much it's mostly just collecting bear asses or whatever anyway.

I enjoy the combat of this game and running around and getting lost in the world, so if I just want to veg out and shoot a musket at a copy pasted turkey or whatever, like yeah, sure, it's lame, but it's still fun in the way video games are fun, so who cares?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Ort posted:

On one hand I get the “missions and quests are repetitive” complaint, but on the other hand I don’t really care. All MMOs are the same dumb questing. FFXIV is especially awful with the kill 3 or collect 3 things, Guild Wars has the same quest types everywhere for renown hearts. It’s just a means to get you out in the world killing things.

I think SWTOR is the only MMO that managed to have decent quests - not because the quests were any good as such - because yeah same fetch/kill quests - but they had a decent story tied to them.

ESO also came close with some story behind what you were supposedly doing.

NWO quests really fail to create the illusion that they are anything but generic time sink chores for xp.

There have been countless memorable quests in ESO and SWTOR - but so far at 33 in NW - there hasn't been a single quest that stood out in any way.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

FileNotFound posted:

I think SWTOR is the only MMO that managed to have decent quests - not because the quests were any good as such - because yeah same fetch/kill quests - but they had a decent story tied to them.

ESO also came close with some story behind what you were supposedly doing.

NWO quests really fail to create the illusion that they are anything but generic time sink chores for xp.

There have been countless memorable quests in ESO and SWTOR - but so far at 33 in NW - there hasn't been a single quest that stood out in any way.

I agree with you on SWTOR. It’s the story I enjoy the most because you actually get choices and can interact with it. ESO does have cool stories but eventually I am like “not every quest needs this much exposition please stop”.

That’s not really the shtick of this game to begin with so I don’t really miss it. The notes laying around in the environment can be just as interesting to me as a good ESO narrative without making me listen to some NPC babble on forever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also this. Lol at not being able to mail items to people and have to meet in a town to trade manually.

I hope eventually the trading post will just be one post, instead of having to check every outpost in the world for the items you might want.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Secret World was an interesting case of quest design because it showed how much investment matters to giving a poo poo about the quests. You go to an area where there are cool conspiratorial designs and neat monsters, you are way into it. You go to an area that sucks rear end (Egypt) and its a total slog. Quests don't fundamentally change, but the area does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I hope eventually the trading post will just be one post, instead of having to check every outpost in the world for the items you might want.

I kind of like it the way it is, makes travel juice worth something.