Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every Kawasaki is built to a formula:

1. Use as many old parts as humanly possible
2. Handling is irrelevant
3. All efforts must be focused on making the bodywork as complex as possible to disguise 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ugh, I found a crack in the tail plastics right underneath the back of my seat. Guessing it's from strapping my camping gear down to 22 year old ABS in near-freezing temperatures. Bare minimum, I'm gonna drill out the crack tips to stop it spreading and goop in some JBWeld Plastic, but does anyone have a link to a tutorial on plastic repair?

Also, here's an excuse to buy the back rack that already works with the sidecase carriers I bought

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Ugh, I found a crack in the tail plastics right underneath the back of my seat. Guessing it's from strapping my camping gear down to 22 year old ABS in near-freezing temperatures. Bare minimum, I'm gonna drill out the crack tips to stop it spreading and goop in some JBWeld Plastic, but does anyone have a link to a tutorial on plastic repair?

Also, here's an excuse to buy the back rack that already works with the sidecase carriers I bought

I'm pretty sure plastic cement is what you want. It'll pretty much make two pieces of ABS in to one piece. Stop drill like you mentioned, then dip a q tip or something in plastic cement, spread the crack a bit and run it down the inside of both surfaces, let it dry a bit, then squeeze together. Should hold, should be permanent.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Kawasaki has this on their website, to be unveiled on Nov 23.

Any guesses? It is rumored they will do a ZX-4R, presumably for the NA/EU markets, based on the ZX-25R. I see a fairing and an underslung cat. Looks like only one rotor at the front as well. Looks like they already have all their 2022 sports bikes posted.

Here's the ZX-25R for comparison.

Wow that looks *tiny* for a 2.5L bike.

Wait it's a 250? Get your poo poo together Kawasaki.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I'm pretty sure plastic cement is what you want. It'll pretty much make two pieces of ABS in to one piece. Stop drill like you mentioned, then dip a q tip or something in plastic cement, spread the crack a bit and run it down the inside of both surfaces, let it dry a bit, then squeeze together. Should hold, should be permanent.

Oh, right, I even have a big bottle of plastic cement sitting around from fixing my other dumb nerd poo poo (though I ended up using jbweld plastic in situations where the cement didn't work). And it looks like things have conspired so that I don't have to take the tail off to stop drill or cement.

I probably should pull it off, cause it appears to be pretty easy,, but knowing how repair jobs can balloon, it'll shatter into a thousand green shards in the process.

This is all assuming the tail actually is made of ABS and not fiberglass or, fuckin, HDPE or something, of course.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

3. All efforts must be focused on making the bodywork as complex as possible to disguise 1

I have no idea what you're talking about

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

1. Use as many old parts as humanly possible
2. Handling is irrelevant

You forgot Kawasaki has a new direction: take off all body work, radical transparency about 1.

Pretend I figured out how to add a photo of the z650 from my phone here

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's certainly the best looking of their 650 lineup.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those wheels are rad as heck

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

It's sad that this is both totally true and an incredibly low bar to clear AND still the best effort of all the Japanese brands in that area.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

It's sad that this is both totally true and an incredibly low bar to clear AND still the best effort of all the Japanese brands in that area.

SV650 I think looks pretty good? But that’s also basically because they just put the old one back into production with as few changes as they could get away with regulation wise I assume.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheBacon posted:

SV650 I think looks pretty good? But that’s also basically because they just put the old one back into production with as few changes as they could get away with regulation wise I assume.

Yes but the equivalent to the sv650 is the ninja 650, suzuki can't put in the effort to make a retro version at all.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What area is that? Can't be the same area as the CB650R.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

Yes but the equivalent to the sv650 is the ninja 650, suzuki can't put in the effort to make a retro version at all.

Oh I was thinking we were talking about all japanese 650s not just pseudo retro ones.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

What area is that? Can't be the same area as the CB650R.

Nothing retro about those.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I liked the XSR700 well enough but that looks really good with those wheels. Glad they got it right.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Toe Rag posted:

I dig it. The looks suit the bikes character better than the gills and H2 "inspired" fairings on the regular N650, which I still think look OK, but don't exactly represent the bike the best.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Nothing retro about those.

There is in the sense that the engine actually has any amount of aesthetic design intention at all and is meant to be looked at and found attractive, vs being a random pile of car barf that you just happen to be able to see because there's no plastic in the way.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

TBF the frames Yamaha went with on the FZ/MT07 and -09 completely hosed them for retro styling. The XSRs ended up looking like retro bikes as designed by Soviet brutalist architects because of those ugly frames

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's less the frames and more the funky transformers styling they cast into all the engine covers. And the goofy underbelly exhaust of course.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wait you guys don't want your bike to look like a transformer?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I like my transformer bike an awful lot but it doesn't look any good dressed up in retro drag, is all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

I like my transformer bike an awful lot but it doesn't look any good dressed up in retro drag, is all.

'transformer dressed up in retro drag' is a perfect way to describe 95% of retro bikes, I love it.

Someone I know once described the triumph America as a bike cosplaying as it's own dad.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I definitely do not like the front end of my transformer, but that’s because it’s not a robot in a vehicle disguise but a robot in a loving bug disguise. At least it has symmetrical low/hi beams which is something that bothers me a lot on most bikes from the 2000s/2010s

The insect poo poo combined with micromachine size tank/range has me thinking about selling it and embracing the rider I really am and getting a versys 650 lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A vstrom 650, I don't know you but I know you deserve better than a versys.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I don't know you but I know you deserve better than a versys.
Thread title for "tell me what bike to buy"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I mentioned this to a friend of mine, but is there any bike Kawasaki sells that someone else doesn't make a better/more desirable version or equivalent of? He mentioned the H2, but my argument is wouldn't you rather have a 'busa though? I can't think of anything.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finger Prince posted:

I mentioned this to a friend of mine, but is there any bike Kawasaki sells that someone else doesn't make a better/more desirable version or equivalent of? He mentioned the H2, but my argument is wouldn't you rather have a 'busa though? I can't think of anything.

Super Sherpa

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

D-tracker?

Wr800?

Fwiw the zx10 isn't fancy, but it's won half a dozen sbk championships in a row so it's probably pretty good.

Z900rs hasn't got any real equivalents afaik.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

A vstrom 650, I don't know you but I know you deserve better than a versys.

I think Ari’s love for it affects me, compounded by having owned a 2006 ninja 650 for 3 years as my only vehicle AND I kind of hate myself.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

xt225? tw200? wr250 (I know, that's not fair)?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

xt225? tw200? wr250 (I know, that's not fair)?

The Sherpa is MUCH more bike than the first two and a fair bit less than the third. I'd say it's most like an xr250, but friendly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Finger Prince posted:

W series for sure, it's a classic bike but with modern bike reliability and little to no modern bike bullshit. The only directly comparable thing going is the Triumph Bonneville which imo is strictly worse.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The funny thing is the Super Sherpa is a KLR250 variant (or KLR250 and Sherpa are variants of the same common ancestor). I really like the KLR250 but I know there’s not much interesting about it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah if I had to have a bike stolen within 48 hours of buying it, I'm glad it was the klr250 rather than an actually good bike. I never could figure out what magic kawi did to the super sherpa that made it better than a klr250 but slavvy has probably ridden both.

Finger Prince posted:

I mean if the thread is talking about kawi from the 80s and 90s then yes of course they have an edge. It took a long time for the low displacement bike market to topple the EX250, and even then the jury is out.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 12, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

They have a KLX300SM in their line up now for 6k. There is no other supermoto in this price range. I'm excluding the drz since it's 7.5k.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm talking about current model lineup, including maybe the models preceding those, but not going back to ancient history.
Their SM might have cheap going for it, but would you get one? Over a used Husky or something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I'm talking about current model lineup, including maybe the models preceding those, but not going back to ancient history.
Their SM might have cheap going for it, but would you get one? Over a used Husky or something?

I have a d-tracker, same bike but with no EFI and 50cc less. I would absolutely get one one a used husky because I like bikes that work. Cheap suspension is easily rectified, faulty engine design is not.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I have a d-tracker, same bike but with no EFI and 50cc less. I would absolutely get one one a used husky because I like bikes that work. Cheap suspension is easily rectified, faulty engine design is not.

I don't really know poo poo about SMs or dirt bikes. But either way, the point is do they make anything that you wouldn't rather have a different make of, and the answer for SMs seems to be the DRZ is better but more expensive. So you get a KLR300 not because it's the one you want or the best, but because it's the cheapest. So the point stands there. I guess in the trailie segment (super sherpa is a trailie right?), they're the best bet. The W bikes are good for what they are, I suppose. Personally there are other bikes I'd rather have in the retro segment, but I'm a weiro Italian bike fetishist and also the Honda CB1100 is a thing, not to mention Harleys of varying stripes. But yeah if you want a Bonneville but not built by Triumph, they're the best in the not-triumph Bonneville segment.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Y'all: talking about which retro bikes are attractive and which Kawasaki you'd buy over anything else

Me, mindful of that one fellow who got redtexted for bringing up his WRX once too often: