Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1447708362993508358?t=0CwM2AoenESmYEq6lKG3zw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Good to know we have personal freedoms, but you're still gonna need to piss in a cup, shave, get a haircut, wear this uniform, submit yourself to asinine personality tests, take verbal abuse from customers and superiors regularly and have a look at your credit history before we hire you for 12 dollars an hour.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

Southwest canceled 30% of flights this weekend because the antivax union pilots are either using their PTO before they quit or using it all at once as some kind of slowdown against the mandate. Southwest is willing to say "staffing issues" but not that it is a labor dispute.

I was confused but now understand this meme I just unfortunately saw on Facebook

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar should reissue the same statement he made about antivax NBA players but as Roger Murdock

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Can't wait to see the chart that shows that COVID patients = Republicans = Fatter than leftists

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

stellers bae posted:

Is it a bannable offense to say you're not vaccinated and haven't gotten sick despite taking zero precautions?

It's more of a high stakes toxx.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wish right-wing deathcult was still hyperbole instead of factual.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

There are some very unhappy people where I work threatening to quit because we got the vax mandate recently too, but so far every one I know about is one of the self-important do-nothing manager types, mostly old, who probably get paid double what their replacement will... if they even bother to replace them. There will definitely be some short term disruption if 5% of the company suddenly resigns, but this is the only time I've actually felt some optimism about the future of the company in 5+ years. A lot of deadweight is threatening to voluntarily break loose right now.

Sadly, based on all evidence so far, despite 30% of people surveyed saying they absolutely would quit their jobs over a vaccine mandate only 1% or so of people at any given company actually follow through.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The pilot union is claiming that there is no collective action over vax requirements, which seems like a weird thing to claim if there is. Maybe “you know what you have to do but we don’t want to take the public heat”, I guess?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I'm glad commercial pilots are fighting for their right to defy rules and regulations so they can risk the lives of others. :911:

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Scaevolus posted:

I'm glad commercial pilots are fighting for their right to defy rules and regulations so they can risk the lives of others. :911:

You can't just give in unilaterally to management without weakening your union's position in other negotiations unfortunately. I wonder if there was a bargaining issue like that, if you want a union to do something you have to give them a token, like $500 for anyone who gets vaxxed or a few days PTO for side effects.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not that it is a concern out here in Japan, but when I found out Southwest wasn't going to require their staff to vaccinate or mask up I just mentally moved them to "never, ever, ever flying that service ever again".

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Southwest is the one airline I've experienced whose staff is willing to get on a passenger's poo poo for dicknosing or any non-compliance. At the gate, on board, 100% of the time.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Scaevolus posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m surprised we haven’t already heard of a pilot going to work with “just a cold” and becoming incapacitated in the later part of a transoceanic flight.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Does anyone else feel like they can't get drunk after having SARS-CoV-2?

I'm unable to find anyone talking about this because it's flooded with talk about tolerance increasing from excessive drinking while staying at home.

I'm not saying I'm invincible, it still makes me tired, but that's pretty much it, there's nothing noticeable or enjoyable in it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pinecone Sample posted:

Does anyone else feel like they can't get drunk after having SARS-CoV-2?

I'm unable to find anyone talking about this because it's flooded with talk about tolerance increasing from excessive drinking while staying at home.

I'm not saying I'm invincible, it still makes me tired, but that's pretty much it, there's nothing noticeable or enjoyable in it.

Lol welcome to addiction

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Wendigee posted:

Lol welcome to addiction

Nah, if anything the opposite. I have little to no interest in drinking now.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Pinecone Sample posted:

Nah, if anything the opposite. I have little to no interest in drinking now.

I've lost all enjoyment from eating since covid. I lost my taste and it came back, but despite food mostly tasting the same a good meal just doesn't make me feel satisfied, and I don't really get hungry.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Yup not getting this loving thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stickman posted:

The pilot union is claiming that there is no collective action over vax requirements, which seems like a weird thing to claim if there is. Maybe “you know what you have to do but we don’t want to take the public heat”, I guess?

I guess there'd also be legal repercussions if they openly admit they're taking collective action, everyone calling in sick at the same time is a workaround

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
heads up to the UK immunocompromised; this new "super cold" is incredibly transmissible, far far more so than covid. The kicker is that getting covid *and* this cold is looking to be absolutely deadly. So if you can shield then do shield.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

poll plane variant posted:

You can't just give in unilaterally to management without weakening your union's position in other negotiations unfortunately. I wonder if there was a bargaining issue like that, if you want a union to do something you have to give them a token, like $500 for anyone who gets vaxxed or a few days PTO for side effects.

The company I work for had union negotiations kick off the day before the vaccine mandate was announced. The company refused to add carve outs or additional benefits because we are largely a non union company and everyone was under the same vaccine requirement. We were already at a 98% so it was also less controversial than in other companies/sites. I heard horror stories about some of our southern sites with regards to infections and vaccination rates/resignations over the mandate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

heads up to the UK immunocompromised; this new "super cold" is incredibly transmissible, far far more so than covid. The kicker is that getting covid *and* this cold is looking to be absolutely deadly. So if you can shield then do shield.

Yeah, I caught *a* cold - dunno if it's the one everyone's talking about but it came on really quickly, like 12 hours from "hmm my nose feels a bit funny" to "There is an elephant in my sinuses" - and it was freaking me out about my covid precautions to the point I spent a good couple of hours retracing every step. Unless it has a *looong* incubation time and I caught it at London Stadium, 4 days before the first symptom, I must have caught it in one of the two shops I went into for like 5 minutes each the day before, or just outdoors on a walk (and I deliberately choose to go for walks in fairly quiet areas, not for biosecurity but because I'm an antisocial bastard).

Actually I'm not convinced it's unrelated to the weirdly dystopic attempt at positivity I walk past every time I go to London Stadium:

Always feels like a warning, or maybe a threat.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Stickman posted:

It's a stealth strike.

When unions can't strike openly due to legal issues or brutal repercussions, they have some well known tactics like work-to-rule or calling in sick during a critical part of a project.

Pilots are critical to operations at all times, so I guess calling in sick will work great.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Oh my god I woke up cold for the first time in a week

I don't want to put the horse before the cart buuuuut

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Codeine during the day and Night Nurse does seem to be keeping the worst of the symptoms at bay and it lasts about 5 days. Part of it is psychological because no one has had a cold in 2 years and we all forgot what they were like but it really does seem to be incredibly virulent. Unless you are in N95 then someone coughing 2m away unmasked will give you this cold no question.

I’m doing special needs PA work for young adults now and it’s gone round the groups like wildfire.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

stellers bae posted:

Is it a bannable offense to say you're not vaccinated and haven't gotten sick despite taking zero precautions?

That describes alot of the 2000 people dying daily lately in the U.S. They were fine until a few weeks ago.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

That describes alot of the 2000 people dying daily lately in the U.S. They were fine until a few weeks ago.

And they continue to be fine! Until they're not.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My mom’s friend and her husband are in a senior’s home. They saw one of the residents at breakfast and she was dead by noon. She died of Covid, knew she was sick and I guess she didn’t have to isolate. Her breakfast table was filled with unvaccinated elderly people. There are no restrictions on visitors or masking in this home. Now my mom’s friend is terribly worried about her or her husband with dementia getting Covid.

This is largely why my mom hasn’t visited them since they moved into the home a few months ago.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I know a lot of people who have lived thru this without restrictions, or only the most perfunctory dicknose masking, mask 80% below their mouth, etc.

I’d say they’re poor or dumb, or selfish, but they’re just human - I guess…

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

No abortions, citizens. You're not allowed to choose what you do with your body.
Except for vaccines. You can choose to do that.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

learnincurve posted:

Codeine during the day and Night Nurse does seem to be keeping the worst of the symptoms at bay and it lasts about 5 days. Part of it is psychological because no one has had a cold in 2 years and we all forgot what they were like but it really does seem to be incredibly virulent. Unless you are in N95 then someone coughing 2m away unmasked will give you this cold no question.

I’m doing special needs PA work for young adults now and it’s gone round the groups like wildfire.

This just sounds like another covid that doesn't show up on tests like we saw in France last year

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

More like so much for “at-will employment” allowing employers to choose their employees by any standard that isn’t explicitly unconstitutional.

E: mixed up my rear end in a top hat conservative anti-employee laws…

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 12, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

poll plane variant posted:

This just sounds like another covid that doesn't show up on tests like we saw in France last year

Nah, it really is just a fairly vicious head cold. Like everything I've read about mild covid makes it sound very obviously different from this.

I've had it (this cold, not covid) and my experience (and that of a few people I know who've had it - and it's worth pointing out this seems to have absolutely *ripped* through the UK in the last two weeks) is that it's just alternating blocked/runny nose, lots of sneezing, elevated but not fever-level temperature, with no body/muscle aches, no brain fog beyond what you normally get when you're not feeling well (i.e. as soon as you actually concentrate it's mostly fine), and very mild coughing like you normally get with a head cold from snot dripping down, and the worst of it over in 2-3 days. My particular case is lurking a bit in my sinuses and ears but again that's something I almost always get with a cold.

From what I've heard mild covid (and I mean this in the "Oof, feel a bit rough" vernacular meaning of mild, not the "Not quite bad enough to require hospitalisation" meaning people usually have for covid) almost always features a high fever, aches and fatigue, and a "wave" thing where your temperature and symptoms wax and wane through the day, and generally goes on for 5 or more days.

I'm not ruling out a new, much more contagious but much milder variant that eludes standard tests, but for right now it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck so I'm going to assume it's a duck. Of course if it *is* this then that might not even be such a bad thing, a variant that outcompetes Delta but which you get over quickly is about the only way we're getting out of this poo poo now with the unwillingness of most governments to do the needful.

(FWIW - double-dosed with AZ as of late May)

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

No abortions, citizens. You're not allowed to choose what you do with your body.
Except for vaccines. You can choose to do that.

If the Dems came out in favor against cutting off your own dick, you'd see chuds knifing their cocks off to prove they have bodily autonomy and to stop tyrannical government

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've had it (this cold, not covid) and my experience (and that of a few people I know who've had it - and it's worth pointing out this seems to have absolutely *ripped* through the UK in the last two weeks) is that it's just alternating blocked/runny nose, lots of sneezing, elevated but not fever-level temperature, with no body/muscle aches, no brain fog beyond what you normally get when you're not feeling well (i.e. as soon as you actually concentrate it's mostly fine), and very mild coughing like you normally get with a head cold from snot dripping down, and the worst of it over in 2-3 days. My particular case is lurking a bit in my sinuses and ears but again that's something I almost always get with a cold.

This is in my house right now, the whole family is going for covid tests this afternoon to be sure

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Something like that happened in NZ during the winter. No body had had major colds or anything for a while since our successful lockdown in 2020. Then we had travel with Australia and also all our domestic stuff started up again and everyone started getting this nasty virus called RSV, kids especially, and it was a bit of a thing for a while.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

POSITIVE COVID-19 TEST
CDC's COVID-19 Protocol:
You can be around others after:
*10 days since symptoms first appeared

Lol I'm positive today but can go back to seeing people tomorrow?

I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer since May. I always wear a mask and don't go to bars or restaurants. My kid goes to a preschool full of chuds, and he had a cold two weeks ago. We got him tested and it was negative (he previously got Covid from his school over the summer.) My wife and I got his cold symptoms, but hers have been much worse so she got tested and was positive. I went after her test and am positive myself.

Felt like just a minor/normal cold - sore throat progressing into sinus congestion over a week. Loss of taste and smell when it hit my sinuses, which is normal for me with colds. No fevers or anything like that. Did have some general body aches for a day last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Canadian government figured the way around all the CBA stuff was that the Feds just made “must be vaccinated” a requirement for any federally regulated industry. Like the Canadian equivalent of the FAA wrote employees must be vaccinated in their rules that airlines have to follow so they (and trains, banks, insurance companies and anyone else that the government makes rules for) can fall back on “welp, those are the rules we have to follow to not get shut down. Get your shot or gtfo and blame Trudeau but it’s not our call,” if they are too chickenshit to do it themselves.