Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pun pundit posted:

I value weapon variety in combat way higher than I value VR simulationism. If you want multiple weapons to select from, easily and quickly, in an age where many of the HMDs available have real trouble tracking controller position out of view of HMD cameras and also without force feedback... A GUI is currently the best option.

I mean, Alyx doesn't exactly stand out there, either. There's 3 different pistols, it's not exactly lighting the world on fire

Stormland did weapon variety much more effectively, they had a bunch of different kinds of guns, each of which you could use one or two handed, and the holders were large and spread out enough (two shoulders and two upper leg holsters) that they were pretty reliable and easy to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You guys are gonna complain about the weapon select menu but you're fine stashing items in your hollow wrist pocket dimensions.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Update on the Lynx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlRgh5IGu34&t=15s

• Project funded in 15 hours
  • Stretch goals coming tomorrow
  • Renewed 3rd party interest (lol this thing might have tactical uses)
  • Two sizes of VR blinders for full immersion (one for glasses)
  • Demos are always real footage (either GoPro or screen capture)
  • Creating this project is hard (there's going to be a book about it)
  • Controllers will have triggers, buttons, joysticks, 6dof aided by 170 degree headset cameras (in partnership with Finch, controller design by Lynx)
  • SDK will be open source and community driven
  • Headset is repairable, battery is easy to replace
  • CAD models will be provided
  • "Almost pixel perfect continuity" between peripheral vision and AR vision
  • Beefed up Leap Motion tracking integrated in the headset
  • 2 software pipelines for RGB cameras: Below 20ms latency fast pipeline for AR, higher latency but still usable pipeline for other uses
  • IPD adjustment (lenses move freely) 56-72mm
  • Hand tracking is getting support in the VR space thanks to Oculus, but controllers are necessary for precision activities

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

You guys are gonna complain about the weapon select menu but you're fine stashing items in your hollow wrist pocket dimensions.

Don't worry, I hated that too!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pun pundit posted:

I value weapon variety in combat way higher than I value VR simulationism.

You have 3 guns in Alyx. The menu might have been ok if it was to allow you to easily swap between 10 guns but we've already solved the problem of how to access 3 guns in VR.

Personally I found the menu system awkward and less fluid and reliable than grabbing guns off my hips and over my shoulders like every other VR shooter.

They managed to get the worst of both worlds, no weapon variety and a menu system for selecting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Finally got Walk About Mini Golf and it is awesome!

My only complaint is that sometimes it does not recognize my swing and so my putter goes through the ball only to recognize it as I go back to swing again and it knocks the ball backwards.

There's a setting you can enable that makes the club only corporeal when you hold the trigger down, so you can kinda line up the shot without worrying about hitting it then holding the trigger to swing and hit it. I found it worked a lot better that way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does the Lynx come with the controllers? It doesn't explicitly say on the Kickstarter as far as I can see.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pun pundit posted:

I value weapon variety in combat way higher than I value VR simulationism. If you want multiple weapons to select from, easily and quickly, in an age where many of the HMDs available have real trouble tracking controller position out of view of HMD cameras and also without force feedback... A GUI is currently the best option.

You can have both though. That's the thing about a fictional universe, it can be anything you want it to be. Wanting the fictional universe to be internally consistent doesn't mean it has to be consistent with the real world. In something like the Half-Life universe where portals are a thing the lore could easily be something along the lines a backpack or holster or whatever with a portal link to an armory in a nearby base which you can control from your future glasses' HUD. Use HUD to select weapon, reach back and there it is. Now you have the standard FPS ability to pick from an arsenal on the fly integrated with physical movements in a way that makes sense by the rules of the game universe.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I am currently mad at video games. I spent a good hour+ in the second main area (After the tutorial area) in Song in the Smoke, found all the stones and was trying to finish the final encounter, and ended up dying.

I was so used to autosaves and thinking it autosaved on sleeping and NOPE! It's all manual saving. My last manual save was back in main area 1. :( Nobody to blame but myself, but drat that doesn't feel good. At least I have a better handle on what to bring from the first area though to make it easier.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lemming posted:

There was a big disconnect for me between the extensive and well communicated in game explanation and virtual object used to control the remote grabbing mechanics (the gloves), and then when you want to change guns it's just loving magic

Lemming posted:

Don't worry, I hated that too!

Pulling items into your hands from across the room is just as loving magic as pulling bottles of vodka out of your wrist portals or weapons out of thin air. If they specifically told you there was an in-universe explanation, like Russell keeps all the guns at his house in portal boxes and teleports them into your hand when you make a gesture, would you be okay with that?

Lemming posted:

What VR affords is something where your actions match up much, much closer with what is happening in the game, and for every part of it that you make align really well (like holding the gun, shooting the gun, grabbing things, picking them up, force pulling them from a distance with the gloves),

Okay, so if you liked how the mechanic was implemented it's fine for it to have no connection to reality, like the gravity gloves, but if you didn't like the mechanic, like the weapon swap, then it's inherently bad because it's "fundamentally not living up to the medium's potential." Got it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Alyx was a mediocre game in general that rides on the shoulders of the half life IP.

3.5 out of 5.

It gets the extra .5 because it was a pretty game and did run pretty well.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sagebrush posted:

Weirdly agro rant

I didn't hate the alyx weapon swap, it would have been better having to grab the new weapon from your body though, like Propegation does.

It's just an extra bit of physical interaction that feels right, like having to pull back the slide

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I'm playing Alex at the moment and the weapon swap feels really clunky. Using the gravity guns, reloading, moving stuff around all feels great, weapon swap not so much.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've decided that the requirement needed for me liking a VR game is working telekinesis. If I have to touch my toes to pick something up, you've hosed up.

I'm looking at you, Floor Plan 2. Knockoff bugsnax looking rear end

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I liked alyx and it was the best game I’ve played since boneworks

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Pulling items into your hands from across the room is just as loving magic as pulling bottles of vodka out of your wrist portals or weapons out of thin air. If they specifically told you there was an in-universe explanation, like Russell keeps all the guns at his house in portal boxes and teleports them into your hand when you make a gesture, would you be okay with that?

If it was implemented well, then sure. Pulling things from across the room would be magic in our universe, but in the Half Life universe, there's a perfectly reasonable, consistent mechanism for how that works. It's a universe with different rules, which is awesome. The problem is that in the game, the weapon swap mechanics doesn't follow any of the other in-universe rules (same with the wrist holder things). It's extremely noticeably and glaringly inconsistent, which hurts the experience

Sagebrush posted:

Okay, so if you liked how the mechanic was implemented it's fine for it to have no connection to reality, like the gravity gloves, but if you didn't like the mechanic, like the weapon swap, then it's inherently bad because it's "fundamentally not living up to the medium's potential." Got it.

Other games manage to do weapon swapping in a way that makes sense, is consistent in universe, and works effectively without being very fiddly (again, Stormland is an example of this done well, and I'd say that Boneworks is an example of this done poorly. Boneworks is very fiddly, and I accidentally dropped stuff all the time. With Stormland, your weapons are kind of hooked into the slot, so unless you go out of your way to throw them or break down the weapon for ammo, they'll return to the slot. It works fantastic and feels good to use).

For my part, I think that getting that groundedness and internal consistency is important for VR in a way it's much less important for flatscreen games; when these things are done well, VR is is flat out a better experience than any other medium, so if you aren't achieving that, then I think it's a lot of wasted potential. My frustration is because I don't think doing things in that consistent way is even that much more difficult, so it feels like a fixable design failure rather than a fundamental limitation, which is why I'm obnoxious about it

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

SCheeseman posted:

Vehicles are hard in VR, haven't played anything that's pulled it off without significant compromise. It feels silly to drive while standing, you can sit down but then you gotta pause the game and readjust and it's all a bit jarring.

The guy responsible for all those impressive Quest FPS ports, DrBeef, is apparently working on a full featured VR port of HL2 right now.

Hover Junkers is really cool

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does the Lynx come with the controllers? It doesn't explicitly say on the Kickstarter as far as I can see.

No, but it's only 90 bucks for the both of them.

panic state fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 12, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Guns are always stored in the butt.

It'll be more realistic once devs start creating head sets for your butt.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Its been a year, stop whining about Alyx. Walkabout is better anyway.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Its been a year, stop whining about Alyx. Walkabout is better anyway.

never

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

until the boards break in the first section im gonna bitch.

rabble rabble not my half life rabble rabble

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The biggest problem I think I had in Alyx was your hand becoming your weapon through a menu. I've never liked sticky gun holding in VR and Alyx took that to an even more annoying level.

I can't even express the number of times I instinctively started reaching for something only to bump into it with a gun, or start shaking my hand for a split second trying to 'unstick' it before remembering, and ended up spending extended periods just treating my hand like dead weight, like it was a hook hand while I did everything with my off hand. In almost any other VR game I would have let go of the gun, and it would zip back to my holster, or I'd quickly holster it in one motion and start using my main hand again.

For a game built around environmental interactivity with your hands, that was a big gently caress up to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you really want something to pick at with the weapons in Alyx, the real failing is they're built around a defined weapon hand and off-hand instead of letting you just conjure a gun from the interface with your free hand as you need it. It's stupid and honestly antithetical to VR gaming.

That and the torch placement being contrived as gently caress in a way nobody would sensibly do it, because "Oooh, tense reloads where you cant see what you're shooting at!"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I always turn sticky guns/grip toggles on if I'm expected to be holding something for longer than 10 seconds. I don't remember which game it was, but I played something that had a controller button for bringing out the latest gun you had equipped if you had nothing out, and it would also put any gun you have out away. I thought it worked pretty well for switching from shooting to interacting. It may have even been Alyx, I don't remember.

I just finished the 2nd part of the Jurassic World game. I think the first part was stronger overall. This one had some pretty cheap sections. But it's probably worth checking out if you like Jurassic Park and Alien Isolation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That and the torch placement being contrived as gently caress in a way nobody would sensibly do it, because "Oooh, tense reloads where you cant see what you're shooting at!"

That loving thing never turned on for 80% of the areas where it would've been useful so it's not a huge loss. Why it's almost it was scripted to only be used for setpieces!

If it sounds like I'm being super-complainy I'm not. I love Half-Life:Alyx and think it deserved all the praise. I just also agree that they made some weird design choices.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you really want something to pick at with the weapons in Alyx, the real failing is they're built around a defined weapon hand and off-hand instead of letting you just conjure a gun from the interface with your free hand as you need it. It's stupid and honestly antithetical to VR gaming.

I quite liked the torch placement - it's where I have mine when I am free-diving / spearfishing so it made sense to me

The 'sticky' weapon in the weapon hand and other stuff in the off hand being so fixed WAS really annoying though. Really weird design choice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mega64 posted:

Guns are always stored in the butt.

It'll be more realistic once devs start creating head sets for your butt.

Let's not be silly.
There's a persistent off-screen caddy named Lydia following you handing you your stuff right as you need it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Alyx's biggest failing for me is that the guns felt like pea shooters. I played on Easy and I still felt like they did no damage and was always out of ammo because everything took so many shots to kill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alctel posted:

I quite liked the torch placement - it's where I have mine when I am free-diving / spearfishing so it made sense to me

The 'sticky' weapon in the weapon hand and other stuff in the off hand being so fixed WAS really annoying though. Really weird design choice.

The sticky weapon thing doesn't even really make sense in the context of the game's development, given it's meant to showcase Index controllers.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've just finished HL: Alyx. I enjoyed the combat, I really like the physicality of reloading quickly while under pressure. I found the puzzle solving maddening, though.

Any games that are just the combat part?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kazy posted:

Alyx's biggest failing for me is that the guns felt like pea shooters. I played on Easy and I still felt like they did no damage and was always out of ammo because everything took so many shots to kill.

Did you not utilize the weak spot mechanic at all? Most enemies can be killed with one shot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemming posted:

Stormland did weapon variety much more effectively, they had a bunch of different kinds of guns, each of which you could use one or two handed, and the holders were large and spread out enough (two shoulders and two upper leg holsters) that they were pretty reliable and easy to use

Stormland is easily the best VR shooter. It's done so many things right and there's basically nothing out there that even comes close.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyperlynx posted:

I've just finished HL: Alyx. I enjoyed the combat, I really like the physicality of reloading quickly while under pressure. I found the puzzle solving maddening, though.

Any games that are just the combat part?

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades is what you want, especially the Take and Hold mode. Boneworks might do the trick as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

I've decided that the requirement needed for me liking a VR game is working telekinesis. If I have to touch my toes to pick something up, you've hosed up.

I'm looking at you, Floor Plan 2. Knockoff bugsnax looking rear end

I agree with you that having to drop the the floor to pick up things sucks. But the conclusion I arrive to is different: it's all because devs are still making VR games informed by traditional 2d games, where stuff is on the ground without any thought.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades is what you want, especially the Take and Hold mode. Boneworks might do the trick as well.

I'll take a look. Thanks.

Also, I managed to completely miss that this thread was actually talking about Alyx anyway. Usually it seems to fill up with discussion about the hardware...

Did anyone else find Russel really loving irritating, instead of funny? Also, I was annoyed that the game wanted to model weapons realistically enough that racking the slide on the pistol while you already have a round chambered ejects the chambered round, but doesn't let you put that loose round back in the magazine. So you just waste ammo if you tactical reload and then rack the slide from muscle memory.

And, I mean, also the whole "no, you can't carry anything but ammunition and 3d printer pellets in your backpack. Don't be silly, why would you think you could do that?"

And it was also just plain gross in a few places. That really wasn't necessary, and was a departure from the HL series as a whole. And I'm sick to death of ugly bombed out buildings and sewers and factories and poo poo.

Oh well. Ok game over all, I really don't understand why all the reviews jizz their pants over it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

I am currently mad at video games. I spent a good hour+ in the second main area (After the tutorial area) in Song in the Smoke, found all the stones and was trying to finish the final encounter, and ended up dying.

I was so used to autosaves and thinking it autosaved on sleeping and NOPE! It's all manual saving. My last manual save was back in main area 1. :( Nobody to blame but myself, but drat that doesn't feel good. At least I have a better handle on what to bring from the first area though to make it easier.

That sucks, but on the other hand, I think you are the only one here who picked it up. Remember to post impressions in a pair of days.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Jack Trades posted:

Stormland is easily the best VR shooter. It's done so many things right and there's basically nothing out there that even comes close.
Is it playable on Index via Revive now? It looks gorgeous but the last time I bought it I had to refund due to insane stuttering.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Is it playable on Index via Revive now? It looks gorgeous but the last time I bought it I had to refund due to insane stuttering.

Can't help you, I played it on an OG Rift but it is a pretty demanding game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pierson posted:

I was nearly going to get it, but I don't want to pay FB any money.